JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

' OLD' Movies

I'm with Jules on this one!!! Captain Blood and The Adventures of Robin Hood (with Errol Flynn) are my all time favorites!!! Everytime I watch that version of Robin Hood I can't help but smile!  And in Captain Blood when Errol says "Command Yourself!" I feel a bit empowered!  I can 'command myself' and get through this system!  I teach that phrase to every little kid in my congregation!  If they are running around the hall, I stop them and say "command yourself!"  Now when I say it, they all stop! LOL

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

The Day the Earth Stood Still - starring Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Hugh Marlowe and Sam Jaffe from 1951 - not the one with Keanu Reeves

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

The Day the Earth Stood Still - starring Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Hugh Marlowe and Sam Jaffe from 1951 - not the one with Keanu Reeves

Agreed. We saw the one with Keanu Reeves recently......boring...... :sleeping:  :snoring:  :yawning:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

As much as  I like old movies and especially old "B" monster movies, I've never seen either the old "Day the Earth Stood Still" or the new one (heard the new one was a bomb).  I'll have to catch that next time it's on (the old version).  

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

As much as  I like old movies and especially old "B" monster movies, I've never seen either the old "Day the Earth Stood Still" or the new one (heard the new one was a bomb).  I'll have to catch that next time it's on (the old version).  

Did you ever watch Star Trek Voyager with Captain Janeway?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

By this, do you mean you heard it was really good or really bad?

It should be noted that both these versions of the movie were "based on" the short story "Farewell to the Master" and that neither version holds true to the original story.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I was watching Calamity Jane last night - starred Doris Day and Howard Keel - two of my most favourite actors/resses ever! Here is one of my favourite songs from the movie - most of you would have seen this I'm sure.

Just LOVE this movie. 

This is a delightful movie!

One that I almost put in my profile, but space was limited.

Its ancestor- The Plainsman- does not possess the color or sound of Calamity Jane, but is a classic, nonetheless.

And with an actress- Jean Arthur- that is so sweet that my own website (finally closed to traffic) ran a tribute to her (movies) for several years.

post-6267-0-65691700-1437712745_thumb.jp

It should be noted that both these versions of the movie were "based on" the short story "Farewell to the Master" and that neither version holds true to the original story.

I loved short stories and I remember that one.

If you have not enjoyed the original classic: "The Day the Earth Stood Still"- and you enjoy the old environments that older films project, than you are in for a treat!

One cannot compare the old, with the new.

post-6267-0-45867700-1437713394_thumb.jp

I happen to be watching The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance with John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart. I just noticed something, when Liberty is sitting at the poker table before he gets shot, the last hand he plays is Aces and Eights, known as the Dead Mans hand.   Just a little old movie trivia...

• 4 weeks later...

Watched "The Searchers" last night. Best of John Wayne.

Even had a few Native Americans playing Native Americans, following a blue eyed (?) chief .

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I love all the old musicals, Oklahoma, Showboat, South Pacific, to many to mention, however, 'Singing in the Rain' with Gene Kelly is my favorite!

"Old man river...." in my best baritone...