JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

games for a gathering

I can think of loads,but hard to explain without showing them. Putting pictures of animals or bible characters on foreheads and guess who you are.

Chinese whispers is always fun - write out a funny sentence then whisper it in your neighbours ear and see how it ends up.

The shopping list game:"Iwent to the shop and bought ... an apple, and everyone has to add to the list and you go out when you forget something on the list - you can do it alphabetically or random.

Charades is an oldie but goody.

Download snippets of music - either modern or old time and get people to name the song.

(Could be done with kingdom melodies too)

The Cookie Jar game :You all clap in time and someone leads by saying:Who stole the cookies from the cookie jar - said in time with the clapping - then *insert name * stole the cookies from the cookie jar - then that person takes over and chooses another name in the circle.

Pass the parcel: Wrap a candy bar or something in lots and lots of newspaper put it in the middle of the room along with hat scarf, mittens and a knife and fork and pass a stuffed toy around the circle - when the music stops whoever has the stuffed toy has to put on the clothes and use a knife and fork to start digging into the parcel until the next person is chosen.

Taste testing - blindfold people and get food from pantry (nice food if you are a nice person) and see if they can identify it. Everyone get points for how many they guess.

Drawing game:Fold a piece of paper for each person, into three pieces so only one of the three surfaces show at any one time, get everyone to draw a head ... then turn over to second surface and pass the paper to your neighbour then you draw a body and do the same with the third surface passing it to your neighbour to draw the legs. That can be quite funny.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I can think of loads,but hard to explain without showing them. Putting pictures of animals or bible characters on foreheads and guess who you are.

Chinese whispers is always fun - write out a funny sentence then whisper it in your neighbours ear and see how it ends up.

The shopping list game:"Iwent to the shop and bought ... an apple, and everyone has to add to the list and you go out when you forget something on the list - you can do it alphabetically or random.

Charades is an oldie but goody.

Download snippets of music - either modern or old time and get people to name the song.

(Could be done with kingdom melodies too)

The Cookie Jar game :You all clap in time and someone leads by saying:Who stole the cookies from the cookie jar - said in time with the clapping - then *insert name * stole the cookies from the cookie jar - then that person takes over and chooses another name in the circle.

Pass the parcel: Wrap a candy bar or something in lots and lots of newspaper put it in the middle of the room along with hat scarf, mittens and a knife and fork and pass a stuffed toy around the circle - when the music stops whoever has the stuffed toy has to put on the clothes and use a knife and fork to start digging into the parcel until the next person is chosen.

Taste testing - blindfold people and get food from pantry (nice food if you are a nice person) and see if they can identify it. Everyone get points for how many they guess.

Drawing game:Fold a piece of paper for each person, into three pieces so only one of the three surfaces show at any one time, get everyone to draw a head ... then turn over to second surface and pass the paper to your neighbour then you draw a body and do the same with the third surface passing it to your neighbour to draw the legs. That can be quite funny.

thank you sister mandi

Yes, charades is always good, for any age group. I've used the My Book of Bible Stories. It's amazing how the friends come up with ideas in how to portray the stories they pick.

This is how I've done it (from my oldest daughter really):

Break up into groups, one at a time. And each group selects a leader, whose job is to coordinate the stories based on the story selection by each member of the group. Oh! And each group cannot, but of course, know what the other group chose to act out. At my place one time, friends broke off into the kitchen, the hallway, etc. Anywhere where one group won't be heard picking out a story. Oh! And yes, each group has to have their own book.

Then the fun begins!

It

Whoever, in the "audience" figures out what a particular group acted out, that group goes next.

Edited by Luezette

Y'all know what happened.

Anyway, when someone in the "audience" guesses the story the acting group chooses, they get up and it starts over again.

It's always hilarious. Not the story in itself of course but how the friends use their ingenuity to act the stories out.

ps: you don't have to use the Bible stories book. You can use whatever book you want, even the Bible itself. We just used the Bible stories book that's all.

Edited by Luezette

Y'all know what happened.

Anyway, when someone in the "audience" guesses the story the acting group chooses, they get up and it starts over again.

It's always hilarious. Not the story in itself of course but how the friends use their ingenuity to act the stories out.

ps: you don't have to use the Bible stories book. You can use whatever book you want, even the Bible itself. We just used the Bible stories book that's all.

thank you will add that too :)

How about something for a gathering with older ones?  I just don't have the energy anymore for the really "fun" and energetic games.  I have invited two elders and their wives, and another family (around the 50 yrs old age group, except our 2 daughters).  These days I just like to mull over the dinner and have nice conversations with some jazz in the background.  I'm worried I might bore my friends to death though.  Charades, though I love it, is just not going to happen. Any other ideas?

A perfect evening can be mulling over dinner with jazz in the background - some of my best evenings were like those. Depends on who you invite and why I guess. Our front yard is a very long front yard and our house is on a wee hill - I have a large grapefruit tree - so if the young ones are around we sometimes play bowls with grapefruit. That's fun - sometimes a bit of a mess to clean up afterwards though.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At gatherings we use to play a game called: "This is the Book" (It's a sit-down game so young and old can participate.)  Everyone gathers around in a room after a meal.  The "game starter" gets a Bible or other WT book and, while showing the book to the audience, he/she then says audibly:

"This is the book.

This is front of the book.

This is the side of book.

This is the back of the book.

Yes, this is the book."

Howver, the caveat is not the presentation of the book itself nor is it the reciting of the words, but it is a specific subtle gesture (i.e., a slight cough, clearing your throat, a simple scratch on the head, or a gentle pull on the ear, an eye rub, gentle scratch on an eyebrow, etc.)  that immediatedly preceeds the recitation that everyone must figure out - without giving away any clues.  That book is then rotated to the next person (clockwise) and he/she must pick up on that subtle gesture began by the "game starter" before reciting the exact same words.  If  the person "copies" the subtle gesture, the "game starter" will confirm with a smile and say: "Yes..That is the book!  If he/she does not figure out he gestured first, the book is passed on to the next person and he/she must hold the book up and recite, and so on.  (Eventually, the friends will get the idea, start laughing and can't wait for their own turn).   

Sometimes, the gestures of the brothers are more loud and pronounced than the sisters.  :lol:  Some will get excited and say:  No! That's not the book or Yes, yes that IS the book.  One or two will get frustrated because they haven't figured it out by the end of the game yet even though they INSIST that "This is the book!"

Try this at your next gathering and see how fun it really is.

Here's a little tip:  Be lively or animated when reciting the book, it makes it more interesting! ^_^

• 1 year later...

Jenga, Scrabble, Rummikub, playing cards (snap, switch em/uno, 500, hearts, go fish, speed, euchre, mafia, etc.), Monopoly (also available as a fast paced card game), Connect Four, Mastermind, Pictionary, Taboo, Balderdash, Cluedo, Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, etc...

I experienced having two group of lines battled with each other, someone who

• Find thr word in the bible in front of them
  • Answers the question correctly

And all of members of the group who first finished as their sequence ended will win, brother Nani :) 

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :)