JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My off topic thread

In 1984, Lionel Ritchie released a song titled, "Hello" (Is it me you're looking for?) Probably groping for a phrase rhyming with 'you,' he penned "For I haven't got  a clue," Thirty one years later, Americans are still saying, "I haven't got a clue." There was even a movie or series, which I never watched, titled "Clueless." C'mon, we really do have clues. Hackneyed phrases are boring. Adriennen Barbou stated in Swamp Thing, "You wouldn't recognize everlasting life if it came knocking at your door." (paraphrasing). How come people don't repeat that thought provoking expression?

I didn't go in service tonight. It's raining here. (dry weather christian)

We had a tornado (you say tornado, I say tomahto) warning about 5 and a half hours ago. I went out shopping, knowing there would be little traffic. There was lots of rain, and high winds. Branches were broken, leaves and flowers were on the ground, and bird nests were ejected from trees. While it was still light out, the sounds that birds make was one step away from an Alfred Hitchcock movie. I felt terribly for our aviary species looking for their disrupted homes. I will listen for them at daybreak. Heavy Sigh. 

I didn't go in service tonight. It's raining here. (dry weather christian)

It was 100F here today. I'll trade you weather every other Friday.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Not to mention pineapples, ukuleles, and tropical printed cotton shirts.

We went to a meeting at a KH on the Kona side of the Big Island. It was an old KH with windows looking over the coffee plantations and ocean.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Not to mention pineapples, ukuleles, and tropical printed cotton shirts.

They have white pineapples in Hawaii

Speaking of coffee...

Does the dark roast have more or less caffeine than a light roast?

You can tour the coffee plantations in Hawaii and learn lots of interesting things.  :)

In Bible times,a 'year' was 360 days. The degrees of a circle are 360. Coincidence? :unsure:

It's interesting that a solar year is >360 and a lunar year is <360, so is 360 a compromise?

Can anyone explain how to use an analog watch to determine a compass direction?

It's interesting that a solar year is >360 and a lunar year is <360, so is 360 a compromise?

A solar, lunar, solar-lunar, or calculated year can never accurately represent the precise timing of Jehovah.  One would need an intercalarly month like Veadar, or reckon down to a leap second, but our meanderings can never duplicate Jehovah, the great mathematician.   :notworthy:

A solar, lunar, solar-lunar, or calculated year can never accurately represent the precise timing of Jehovah.  One would need an intercalarly month like Veadar, or reckon down to a leap second, but our meanderings can never duplicate Jehovah, the great mathematician.   :notworthy:

Then it is safe to assume that our method of tracking time will change one day. It's obvious that our current time measurements are multiples of six (imperfect number) and was created by pagans with six fingers on each hand. Why else would there be 60 seconds, 60 minutes, 24 hours???

:D

Can anyone explain how to use an analog watch to determine a compass direction?

Here's an easy one.http://www.wikihow.com/Use-an-Analog-Watch-as-a-CompassI write it up as a math lab, or math activity and include paper plates with movable hour and second hands, so that my students can learn technical document reading and following written instructions (which could save one's life in this system).  I am struggling over which of my self-written lessons (not lesson plans, the real info) to keep or discard. I am making progress.  

Here's an easy one.http://www.wikihow.com/Use-an-Analog-Watch-as-a-CompassI write it up as a math lab, or math activity and include paper plates with movable hour and second hands, so that my students can learn technical document reading and following written instructions (which could save one's life in this system).  I am struggling over which of my self-written lessons (not lesson plans, the real info) to keep or discard. I am making progress.  

Yuppers. I remember now. I knew it used the hour hand and split an angle but I didn't remember it used 12.

How many off-topic postings does it take to successfully hijack a thread?

I am thankful to our sister for starting this thread. It would be next to impossible, technically, to hijack an off-topic thread. It is hard enough to refrain from hijacking someone else's  call. The degree of clarity of thought when someone else is at the door is inversely proportionate to our acumen at door-front. Thanks to Jehovah for the opportunity to quietly pray for our brother or sister 'at bat' and for the householder. 

I am thankful to our sister for starting this thread. It would be next to impossible, technically, to hijack an off-topic thread. It is hard enough to refrain from hijacking someone else's  call. The degree of clarity of thought when someone else is at the door is inversely proportionate to our acumen at door-front. Thanks to Jehovah for the opportunity to quietly pray for our brother or sister 'at bat' and for the householder. 

and I don't hurt my neck looking over my shoulder to see if a moderator is coming...