JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My off topic thread

What is the significance of the number 40 in the Bible? 40 days and 40 nights raining, fasting etc. Apparently it's just another number. No significance at all.

30 days is just a month, from moon to moon. Its easy to calculate in Bible times. But 40 days, you would have to pay special attention to the last 10 days (or perhaps the first 10 and note the moon phase). Perhaps this extra focus needed at the end helped with anticipation and appreciation.

If we ever live without time pieces and easy calendars maybe we'll understand better.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

30 days is just a month, from moon to moon. 

Close enough....

"The average calendrical month, which is 112 of a year, is about 30.44 days, while the Moon's phase (synodic) cycle repeats on average every 29.53 days. Therefore the timing of the Moon's phases shifts by an average of almost one day for each successive month"

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

What is the significance of the number 40 in the Bible? 40 days and 40 nights raining, fasting etc.  Apparently it's just another number.  No significance at all.

Excellent question.

*** w64 3/1 p. 160 Questions From Readers ***
● Is there any symbolic significance to the number forty? If so, what is it?—A. L., U.S.A.
As to the number forty, it must be noted that it is used in many different connections in the Bible, as shown by an exhaustive Bible concordance. In its publications the Society has never ascribed to this number any one significance that covers every use of the number. However, in The Watchtower of May 1, 1941, on page 138, in discussing Judges 5:31, it commented on a forty-year period of peace, following the deliverance of the Israelites from Canaanite oppression; and it showed that this foreshadowed the time of the peaceful 1,000-year reign of the Lord Jesus Christ. Obviously this significance cannot be attached to all other occurrences of the number in the Bible. For instance, the number sometimes seems to be associated with a judgment period, judgment or punishment. Thus the rain of Noah’s day fell for forty days. (Gen. 7:4) The law of Moses provided that certain types of offenders were to be given forty strokes. (Deut. 25:3) Israel wandered in the wilderness for forty years as a punishment for their rebellious course. (Num. 14:34) Jonah warned Nineveh that in forty days it would be destroyed. (Jonah 3:4) However, we are not to conclude that every time the number forty occurs in the Scriptures it has symbolic significance.
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Light roast coffee has more caffeine. The caffeine is in the oil on the bean and the more you roast it, the more caffeine is burned off and removed. That's why a light roast or blonde coffee is served in the morning and a dark roast is served with dessert in the evening.

Note to self: Don't ask for a tall blonde at Starbucks..

Does black coffee contain more caffeine than latte or cappucino?

:bouncing:

Roasting the beans determines the caffeine. Then you use the beans to make black coffee, then you use the black coffee to make your favorite coffee based beverage. The caffeine content is determined by the roasting, not the brewing or blending. Unless you use a LOT of coffee in your drink.  :D

Yan-Tea, I just noticed where you are from. I love your coffee.  :D

Roasting the beans determines the caffeine. Then you use the beans to make black coffee, then you use the black coffee to make your favorite coffee based beverage. The caffeine content is determined by the roasting, not the brewing or blending. Unless you use a LOT of coffee in your drink. :D

How do I know that my coffee is light or dark roasted?

What is the significance of the number 40 in the Bible? 40 days and 40 nights raining, fasting etc.  Apparently it's just another number.  No significance at all.

Perhaps its a combination of the use of 4 and 10.

Four. Four is a number sometimes expressing universalness or foursquareness in symmetry and form. It is found three times at Revelation 7:1. Here the “four angels” (all those in charge of “the four winds,” ready for complete destruction) stood on earth’s “four corners” (they could let loose the winds obliquely or diagonally, and no quarter of the earth would be spared). (Compare Da 8:8; Isa 11:12; Jer 49:36; Zec 2:6; Mt 24:31.) The New Jerusalem is “foursquare,” equal in every dimension, being in fact cubical in shape. (Re 21:16) Other figurative expressions using the number four are found at Zechariah 1:18-21; 6:1-3; Revelation 9:14, 15.

Ten. Ten is a number denoting fullness, entirety, the aggregate, the sum of all that exists of something. It may be noted also that, where the numbers seven and ten are used together, the seven represents that which is higher or superior and ten represents something of a subordinate nature.

How do I know that my coffee is light or dark roasted?

Purchased coffee beans should show it on the package. The darker roast makes darker fuller flavored coffee, the light roast is a oilier looking lighter bean with a lighter coffee flavor and a distinctive and desirable bodily reaction.

Purchased coffee beans should show it on the package. The darker roast makes darker fuller flavored coffee, the light roast is a oilier looking lighter bean with a lighter coffee flavor and a distinctive and desirable bodily reaction.

They said Robusta has more caffeine than Arabica, surely it's not about roasting, right?

They said Robusta has more caffeine than Arabica, surely it's not about roasting, right?

I don't know. I think I have exhausted my knowledge of coffee and your question may require more research. I'll do it as soon as I finish my coffee.. :)

I love my coffee too :)

Sister Yanty, I like your coffee so much, I could request it through IV (IVY).  I hope something, so far, has been laughable to you or your feline Avatar .  Or at least more comforting than Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar. (Zophar, so good?) 

The word 'sweetheart' was originally "sweetard. " The suffix -'ard' meant one who is (or does an action), as in the words "drunkard" and "dullard." Sweetard has become archaic,having been totally  replaced with sweetheart. Is that dastardly or what?  

Edited by kejedo

floccinaucinihilipilification is a real word!

Often cited as the longest non-technical word in the English language, being one letter longer than the commonly-cited antidisestablishmentarianism

Some could conclude that this thread is an exercise in floccinaucinihilipilification.

floc·ci·nau·ci·ni·hil·i·pil·i·fi·ca·tion
ˌfläksəˌnôsəˌnīˌhiləˌpiləfiˈkāSHən/
noun
noun: floccinaucinihilipilification
  1. the action or habit of estimating something as worthless. (The word is used chiefly as a curiosity.).

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Some could conclude that this thread is an exercise in floccinaucinihilipilification.

You aren't worthless at all, we enjoy your input.  :D

I thought supercalifragilisticexpialidocious was a long word even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious.

what? you can't breathe underwater brother ... it's quite common to hear of people breathing underwater.

Yup. Anything is possible, even if it is for a very short time...

I can breath underwater for a long time but it requires SCUBA equipment. :D