JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My off topic thread

Polar bear fur is actually a layer of dense underfur and an outer layer of guard hairs, which appear white to tan but are actually transparent

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Dr. W. C. Minor, had submitted more than ten thousand researched entrees to the Oxford English Dictionary. When the OED committee insisted on honoring him, a surprising truth came to light: Dr. Minor, an American Civil War veteran, was also a murderer and an inmate at an asylum for the criminally insane.

Edited by kejedo

Dr. W. C. Minor, had submitted more than ten thousand researched entrees to the Oxford English Dictionary. When the OED committee insisted on honoring him, a surprising truth came to light: Dr. Minor, an American Civil War veteran, was also a murderer and an inmate at an asylum for the criminally insane.

I bet his friends told him he was either crazy or dead wrong not to submit words to the OED.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Did he hold a minor in criminal justice?

Was his real name Doctor Water Closet Minor?

AKA The Kids Toilet?

Did he hold a minor in criminal justice?

HaHa, I resemble that. "The Professor And The Madman," is just about the only book I have read in decades that was not 'our literature' or for my jobs. A book of words about the compiling of a book of words (including their known history and etymology)  :detective: Who reads this stuff?

Edited by kejedo

HaHa, I resemble that. "The Professor And The Madman," is just about the only book I have read in decades that was not 'our literature' or for my jobs. A book of words about the compiling of a book of words (including their known history and etymology)  :detective: Who reads this stuff?

I would love to! I love researching word origins.

Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary

I was looking at it on Amazon. Thx!

Stormswift. Dear Sister Mandi, Thanks for starting this thread. I like your comment about Beatles music (vs singing voices). Some of the instrumentals were engaging and timeless; some of the lyrics were questionable and attached to a specific decade. Maybe you can initiate another off-off topic thread some time soon. I do not have that much forum experience, but I have looked at other threads, and it seems (to me) that people skip earlier posts when a thread gets to a certain length. I could be wrong. Anyway, it has been a hoot, so far, and I would enjoy more variety threads like this. We have a lovely young sister in our cong. from New Zealand. I would love to see your beautiful area of the world. Maybe not til the new system.  :ecstatic:

. Anyway, it has been a hoot, so far, and I would enjoy more variety threads like this.

My Off-Topic Thread part deux?

Stormswift. Dear Sister Mandi, Thanks for starting this thread.

I agree. I think the moderators should make this thread required reading every time another thread gets a little ..tense...

either that or 40 strokes less one for the offender...whatever is easier... :D

My cat apparently considers himself a great conversationalist. Every morning after I feed him he has to interrupt my coffee time with a long lecture, usually about something I did wrong...

I just read that 6/19 is National Martini Day. I have only two minutes to figure out if this is one of the annual observances that we participate in. Not sure when Worldwide Martini Day occurs. Missed my chance.  :blink: oops. I'll try to prepare for next year.  :drink:

I just read that 6/19 is National Martini Day. I have only two minutes to figure out if this is one of the annual observances that we participate in. Not sure when Worldwide Martini Day occurs. Missed my chance.  :blink: oops. I'll try to prepare for next year.  :drink:

Is it 6/20 in NY now?

I just read that 6/19 is National Martini Day. 

National Martini Day sounds like fun

National Flatulence Day would be a gas

National Brass Horn Day would be a hoot

National Bed Day would be a sleeper..

Did you know that while people speak of “red” roses, true red flowers were originally absent from the rose family? The family lacks the gene that causes the red pigment. The bright-red color is a result of a genetic mutation about 1930, eventually resulting in the vibrant-red colors seen in roses today

g 10/07 p. 26 Alluring Roses From Africa

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

A petit four is a small confectionery or savoury appetizer that looks like a small cake but the French name actually means "small oven".

Triquetra - This symbol is also known as the trinity knot. The more common triquetra symbol is below. The word triquetra originally meant "triangle" and was to describe triangle-shaped objects. The triquetra is most known for it's meaning as the trinity (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit). This meaning was used by the Celtic Christian Church. The triquetra has also been used quite often by the Celtic Christian Church in the form of 3 fishes forming a triquetra. The triquetra is a very old symbol and many say it predates Christianity, the symbol represented the Goddess in Celtic lore. The Trinity Knot holds major significance in neopaganism in that it is believed to represent the three stages of the Triple Goddess (Maiden, Mother, and Crone). The triquetra design on the cover of a replica of the Book of Shadows central to the television series Charmed.Modern Pagans use the triquetra to symbolize a variety of concepts and mythological figures. Germanic Neopagan groups who use the triquetra to symbolize their faith generally believe it is originally of Norse and Germanic origins. 

post-574-0-08074100-1434856366.jpg

Triquetra - This symbol is also known as the trinity knot. The more common triquetra symbol is below. The word triquetra originally meant "triangle" and was to describe triangle-shaped objects. The triquetra is most known for it's meaning as the trinity (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit). This meaning was used by the Celtic Christian Church. The triquetra has also been used quite often by the Celtic Christian Church in the form of 3 fishes forming a triquetra. The triquetra is a very old symbol and many say it predates Christianity, the symbol represented the Goddess in Celtic lore. The Trinity Knot holds major significance in neopaganism in that it is believed to represent the three stages of the Triple Goddess (Maiden, Mother, and Crone). The triquetra design on the cover of a replica of the Book of Shadows central to the television series Charmed.Modern Pagans use the triquetra to symbolize a variety of concepts and mythological figures. Germanic Neopagan groups who use the triquetra to symbolize their faith generally believe it is originally of Norse and Germanic origins. 

attachicon.giftriquetra.jpg

Give me a petit four or some trigonometry instead, wouldya huh? SohCahToa. ps, has nothing to do with soaking one's toes. This seems to be a supportive place for a blossoming trans-thread-ual.  :wacko:

I found this on the Internet....sorta...

Cross-threading occurs when the threads of a screw or bolt are improperly aligned to a nut or nut-plate, then forcibly "screwed" through said nut or nut-plate. This causes damage to the threading on either the screw/bolt and/or nut, require replacement of hardware, or re-threading of the nut. Cross-threading also occurs when a post intended for a specific thread on a forum is posted in the wrong thread and the nut that did it needs to be replaced.

:D 

I found this on the Internet....sorta...

Cross-threading occurs when the threads of a screw or bolt are improperly aligned to a nut or nut-plate, then forcibly "screwed" through said nut or nut-plate. This causes damage to the threading on either the screw/bolt and/or nut, require replacement of hardware, or re-threading of the nut. Cross-threading also occurs when a post intended for a specific thread on a forum is posted in the wrong thread and the nut that did it needs to be replaced.

:D 

:lol1:  

Glad I researched this, also sorta. I think one first has a tendency toward cross threading. If allowed to continue, it can lead to trans-posting. That can result in status re-assignment or even worse, getting kicked off a forum, aka removing the nut that needs to be replaced.   :sweat:

Propane and Natural Gas (from the earth) do not have an odor so a methyl mercaptan is added to give it that distinctive odor that tell you when there is a leak. Methyl mercaptan is not related to Ethel Merman or The Captain and Tenille.