JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My off topic thread

In the 1800s ,the American alphabet had 27 characters. The 27th was &. (originally et in Roman).In the early 1800s, school children reciting their ABCs concluded the alphabet with the &, reciting it like this, “and per se and.”.” Over time, “and per se and” was slurred together into the word we use today:ampersand. When a word comes about from a mistaken pronunciation, it’s called a mondegreen.

Many scientists believe 'fossil fuels' to be a misnomer and that these substances have existed since the beginning of time. Experiments have shown that hydrocarbons can form from reactions inside the earth rather than the layering/blending of organic matter. At any rate, there is nothing new under the sun, except when Jehovah sent his son to be transferred to Mary. Amazing provision for us. :ecstatic:

Edited by kejedo

The Hawaiian alphabet has only 13 letters, 5 vowels and 8 consonants. I assume that is why they say everything twice... :)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Not all crude oil is alike, there are huge differences in the composition of the crude oil depending on where it is from.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

What? What?

For example, the state fish is Humuhumunukunukuapua`a

What per cent of the English speaking population pronounce 'Asterisk' incorrectly.  :star:

Only the ones from Shibboleth

Only the ones from Shibboleth

IT COULD BE A MATTER OF ....... (Well, not that asterisk thing.One could just say 'star' or 'starred.') p.s. According to Billiam Shakespeare, some could be star-crossed. Don't even get me started on Geoffrey (you already know it.) My middle son is named Jeff. He now tells me it is not a real name. He is very sweet, but not in the truth. I pray for brothers and sisters whose children are not serving Jehovah. (Yet?) I hope someone is praying for my children.   

Edited by kejedo

What is a suitable abbreviation for the Circuit Overseer's wife?(!)

I heard the wife of an elder is called his WOE.

How do you address a priest, since we do not call them Father?

I use the term "Sir" and, although some will get upset" Mr. ......

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

How do you address a priest, since we do not call them Father?

Call him Matthew.

If he asks you why you call him Matthew, show him Matt 23:8,9.

Def off topic, but there is a movie series called Left Behind. A sister starting watching one of these. The left Behind series is about the belief in the so-called rapture.  From the movie definiton: The Biblical prophecy of Armegeddon begins when the Rapture instantly takes all believers in Christ from the Earth. A reporter left behind learns that the Anti-Christ will soon take power.  Also there are books, videos and dvds in the "Blood Moon Series" affiliated with JOhn Hagee and Mark Blitz Ministries.

It can also refer to a reference in one thread to another...

Good morning,

There are so many things thrown into this thread that I can't tell what you are talking about if you don't use quotes. Which post are you referring to?

Whew! There's been some posts here since I opened this thread and thought about posting...

Originally posted by Richard

I found this on the Internet....sorta...

Cross-threading occurs when the threads of a screw or bolt are improperly aligned to a nut or nut-plate, then forcibly "screwed" through said nut or nut-plate. This causes damage to the threading on either the screw/bolt and/or nut, require replacement of hardware, or re-threading of the nut. Cross-threading also occurs when a post intended for a specific thread on a forum is posted in the wrong thread and the nut that did it needs to be replaced.

That would be the one. If I'd noticed when I posted it I would have fixed it before you had a chance to post.

Good morning,

There are so many things thrown into this thread that I can't tell what you are talking about if you don't use quotes. Which post are you referring to?

Thanks Brother Raymond.I will try to remember to do this. 

By spelling the numerals in order, (one, two, three,) one would get to 'one thousand' before using the letter 'A.'

So you have never seen One Hundred AND One Dalmatians?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I usually say 'sir' as I do to any other man I meet in field service. (re; question to do with the Priest lol - quote didn't work).

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Is it a chamber pot? 

Originally, in Italy, the word “lasagna” did not refer to a food (in fact, today, the food is still spelled “lasagne” as the plural form). The word “lasagna” referred to the pot in which the food was cooked. It is thought that the word “lasagna” for the pot is derived  from Latin lasanum chamber pot, from Greek lasanon  also forchamber pot ( supposedly because both of the pots originally had legs. I refuse to over think this). Anyway I'm a low carber: no wheat, no noodles, no sugar.