JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My off topic thread

A buch of Gabby Geezers or is it Typy Geezers :bringiton:

Oh Rats! I'm at the top of the list again......sigh.......... :(

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Oh Rats! I'm at the top of the list again......sigh.......... :(

Keyboarding Kooks, we are. I don't know where this list is. But, I do like statistics. Do you remember learning in school that one should never start a sentence with conjunctions like 'and' or 'but'?Wrong, again. http://www.dailywritingtips.com/can-you-start-sentences-with-%E2%80%9Cand%E2%80%9D-and-%E2%80%9Cbut%E2%80%9D/

Another group of scientists (this time German and Czech) are paid large amounts for questionable info: to watch dogs urinate and defecate.

http://www.livescience.com/42317-dogs-poop-along-north-south-magnetic-lines.html

Their conclusion: Dogs line up geo-magnetically with the Earth, before relieving themselves.  Ah, where does scientific money go, and who applies for these grants? Who approves them? I'm nobody, but i do walk my neighbors dogs, for free. Nobody pays me to watch them make onesies, or twosies, but since I am the person with the pick-up bag, and two or more on leashes, I can not help but notice that they do not line up in the same formation or direction. I have not walked any German or Czech dogs, nor have I been a neighborhood dog walker in Europe. Anecdotal evidence only. p.s. yes, this was last year's study, but I wasn't sure if it made it into a 2014 topic.     

Moreover, speaking of dogs, I love the word 'Moreover'. If I had a dog I would call him Moreover, I think there is a dog in the Bible named Moreover. Isn't there a scripture about "Moveover the dog will...."?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I'm not much of a people watcher, but our recent style topics made me start thinking, as I was in the hospital for most of today. (yes, I did have mag and tract placement, but this was just passers-by.) Side-long fashion glances:

1).  An unlined white pencil skirt should require an undergarment.

2). Light fabric white pants (see number 1.)

3). A suede jacket and matching suede boots look beyond-uncomfortable on an 80 plus degree day. Fashion match does not trump perspiration.(Does it?)

4.) Wedge healed high-top sneakers on a mature woman are just wrong. I don't know when they would be right.

5). An over forty hosp employee was dressed with a jacket and mini-skirt. The skirt also had a back slit. If she had a back mirror, she would have seen that there were just two inches of fabric below the jacket. Good look for a belt.

6.) Rubber flip flops look even worse with ankle tats.

7.)Female 'clergy' with black outfit and white collar/ or a Judge Judy impostor? 

8.) Retro fashion of long duster coats over shorts or mini-skirts suggests that sweat is not an especially appealing fashion accessory.

9). A scarf in July? Hello.

10). If your scrub pants are bunching up in back, they are too small. 

11). Men who push the waistline of their trousers beneath a 44 inch pot belly does not make it look like they still have a 32 inch waist.

12.) I was not aware that Mimi (from Drew Carey) had a thriving makeup line. Cross out 'thriving'.

13.) Drawing an I Love Lucy lip outline (and not filling it in) -  Don't love it so much.

No wonder we can always spot our brothers and sisters.     

Forgive me if it sounds picky. I'm still radio-active.  :sweat:  Not to mention how often people say nucular instead of nuclear. 

Edited by kejedo

11). Men who push the waistline of their trousers beneath a 44 inch pot belly does not make it look like they still have a 32 inch waist.

It's either that or pull them up to what's left of our chest... :)

• 2 weeks later...

In Shakespeare's day the word "counterfeit" meant a portrait of you or an artistic representation of anything:  nature, for example

-from Wiktionary:

That which resembles another thing; a likeness; a portrait; a counterpart. 

• William Shakespeare, Timon of Athens Thou drawest a counterfeit / Best in all Athens.
  • 1590Edmund Spenser, Faerie Queene Book III, canto VIII: Even Nature's self envied the same, / And grudged to see the counterfeit should shame / The thing itself.

Thinking about the subject of homelessness reminds me of all the informative articles we have had in our Awake Magazines. It is also interesting that often appearances are not an indication of one's resources. For example: An elderly Sister I know of worked about 30 years in 4 states as Social Worker and Teacher;  how much of a pension would the average person think that worker having coming to her? If you guesses zero, you would be correct. State governments did not have to pay into Social Security, and that person was not in one single state long enough to be vested into that State's retirement fund.  Yes, there are government programs that she may have been entitled to, had she not worked for decades. Most people I know of that never worked are far better off financially than the illustration cited. Even when countries have so called Welfare or assistance programs, that does not mean that it is distributed equitably. The person cited has health insurance that is running out.

Have you ever wondered why HVAC units are measured in tons instead of BTU?

Per Wikipedia: Air conditioner equipment power in the U.S. is often described in terms of "tons of refrigeration". A ton of refrigeration is approximately equal to the cooling power of one short ton (2000 pounds or 907 kilograms) of ice melting in a 24-hour period. The value is defined as 12,000 BTU per hour, or 3517 watts.[34] Residential central air systems are usually from 1 to 5 tons (3 to 20 kilowatts (kW)) in capacity.

Which means that if you have a 2 ton air conditioner for your house and it fails, you would need to use 2 tons of ice every 24 hours to keep your house as cool as the air conditioner did. 

That would mean that we would need nearly 2,000 tons of ice a year :sweat:

You must have a huge air conditioner and use it all year if you would need 2000 tons of ice.

My small house is supposed to have a 2 ton unit. if I used it every day & night for 100 days, that is the equivalent of 200 tons of ice.

Am I the only one that says things like "5 feet 10cm"?

(I was taught imperial in my first school, metric in my senior school.)

Isn't there something in Leviticus about mixing things up like that?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

PV=nRT

This formula (ideal gas law) indicates that Temperature is a Function of Pressure and Volume (as well as an amount in moles multiplied by a constant). That is why one does not really need 2000 tons of ice a year. Thank you to Charles, Boyle, and Avogadro

This formula (ideal gas law) indicates that Temperature is a Function of Pressure and Volume (as well as an amount in moles multiplied by a constant). That is why one does not really need 2000 tons of ice a year. Thank you to Charles, Boyle, and Avogadro

So that's where moles come from...

I had a fresh  avogadro for lunch, it was delicious. Did not boyle it.

Did you have any mole with it?