JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My off topic thread

Might that not depend on where they're living?

Also on whether or not they can afford them?

An Eskimo living in Alaska might not be expected, however, to buy one in winter...

:) I suppose...I asked only in jest, but, now know that Eskimos use refrigerators.... not to keep food cold, but to keep food warm. Since the climate is very cold in the places where Eskimos reside, food can develop freezer burn easily if left unprotected. If Eskimos do not have access to refrigerators, they may use animal skins to keep food warm. Also.....

*   Some Eskimos prefer not to be called "Eskimo," which is thought to mean "raw meat eater." They may prefer their native names such as              "Inuit" or "Kalaallit."

• There are more than 100,000 Eskimos in the world
  • Eskimos do not live in igloos constantly; they only stay in them for short periods of time during hunting trips.

Psalms 51:6 "In the secret self...may you cause me to know sheer wisdom"

Might that not depend on where they're living?

Also on whether or not they can afford them?

An Eskimo living in Alaska might not be expected, however, to buy one in winter...

You are taking this thread waaaaaaaay too seriously.... :D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Is it a chamber pot? 

Originally, in Italy, the word “lasagna” did not refer to a food (in fact, today, the food is still spelled “lasagne” as the plural form). The word “lasagna” referred to the pot in which the food was cooked. It is thought that the word “lasagna” for the pot is derived  from Latin lasanum chamber pot, from Greek lasanon  also forchamber pot ( supposedly because both of the pots originally had legs. I refuse to over think this). Anyway I'm a low carber: no wheat, no noodles, no sugar.

Lasagna in a chamber pot?

Ugggg.....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Our COBE has a daughter that married a Brother from Washing State. They went to visit her and learned that the "Native Americans" from where their daughter lives actually prefer to be called "Indians".

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Our COBE has a daughter that married a Brother from Washing State. They went to visit her and learned that the "Native Americans" from where their daughter lives actually prefer to be called "Indians".

Beyond the Columbus debate, there is a word similar to indigenous which can be closely defined as a cognate of "Indian." Native American is a misnomer, b/c the continent was not called 'North America' when aboriginal tribes were invaded. I, personally, use 'indigenous persons of the continent now known as North America,"  unless / until I am corrected. "Shu monna tu tonka oh wat shi," (Phonetic Lakota.)      

Edited by kejedo

I had a Tonka truck when I was a kid, was it made by the "I.P.O.T.C.N.K.A.N.A"?

:D

Flash back reversal: A new project funded on Kickstarter is the Hemmingwrite.  It looks like a typewriter but connects to the internet via WiFi. From it, you can wirelessly send documents to your computer and/or smart phone. Not a fan. And, for what it's worth, this retired English teacher thinks Hemingway is largely over-rated. (Don't even get me started on Mark Twain.) Excuse me while I listen to Spotify, featuring to a DVD of "Ovid at the Forum," including an advice poem on women's cosmetics. Well,pardon my hair gel. 

Flash back reversal: A new project funded on Kickstarter is the Hemmingwrite.  It looks like a typewriter but connects to the internet via WiFi. From it, you can wirelessly send documents to your computer and/or smart phone. Not a fan. And, for what it's worth, this retired English teacher thinks Hemingway is largely over-rated. (Don't even get me started on Mark Twain.) Excuse me while I listen to Spotify, featuring to a DVD of "Ovid at the Forum," including an advice poem on women's cosmetics. Well,pardon my hair gel. 

I always thought it was interesting that Samuel Clemens considered himself to be two fathoms.. 

Several year ago we visited Dubrovnik Croatia and learned the Croatians invented the necktie.

Per Wikipedia:  The modern necktie spread by Europe traces back to the time of the Thirty Years' War (1618–1648) when Croatian mercenaries from the Croatian Military Frontier in French service, wearing their traditional small, knotted neckerchiefs, aroused the interest of the Parisians. Due to the slight difference between the Croatian word for Croats, Hrvati, and the French word, Croates, the garment gained the name "cravat" ("cravate" in French).

The Volkswagen company was founded in 1937 and Adolf Hitler was very involved in the production of the Volkswagen. Volkswagen means "Peoples Car" but it is my personal theory it should mean "Hitlers Revenge". There are millions of Volkswagen 'Beetles' or 'Bugs' still on the road today, if the unique design of the Beetle would cause it to explode at certain environmental conditions and every Beetle exploded at the same time, mankind would be destroyed.

Think about that the next time you see a Volkswagen Beetle next to you on the road... :)

"You saved one cent," said the cashier, after I did the entire store card presentation, had it recognized and scanned. :blink:  At least I got to talk to the cashier, whose grandmother is one of our spiritual sisters. I reminded her of when I had met her during the previous book study arrangement, when I was just visiting the area. Now, what to do with that saved penny? Decisions, decisions. I wonder what goes on in someone's mind or heart when they meet a person who recognizes him or her from a Bible meeting of the past.  :shrugs:

"You saved one cent," said the cashier, after I did the entire store card presentation, had it recognized and scanned. :blink:  At least I got to talk to the cashier, whose grandmother is one of our spiritual sisters. I reminded her of when I had met her during the previous book study arrangement, when I was just visiting the area. Now, what to do with that saved penny? Decisions, decisions. I wonder what goes on in someone's mind or heart when they meet a person who recognizes him or her from a Bible meeting of the past.  :shrugs:

Penny for your thoughts?

<<<Volkswagen means "Peoples Car" but it is my personal theory it should mean "Hitlers Revenge">>>

Here I thought I was the only one to call them Hitler's Revenge.

My one uncle swore by them ( even though he almost died in one ). (td)

Most people swore at them. :angry_cursing::censored:

I drove one :scooter: at the auto wreckers where my dad worked in late 60's early 1970. Could get up to 25 MPH in 3rd before having to brake as ran out of room. :scooter:

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

In a discussion with one of my sons last night, I used the word picture of one hand clapping (fanning one's face with a single hand). My son responded with an ear splitting one-hand clap similar to this:

This is not my son,but another example of single hand clapping.

Originally posted by pnutts

Here I thought I was the only one to call them Hitler's Revenge.

My one uncle swore by them ( even though he almost died in one ).....

That's been a very common expression for over fifty years...

I've even seen it printed in magazines from two different countries.

That's been a very common expression for over fifty years...

I've even seen it printed in magazines from two different countries.

That's about how long I've called them "Hitler's Revenge"  Darn 'nothing new under the sun' :bringiton:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: