JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My off topic thread

Originally posted by kejedo

After commenting on the letter from GB about our brothers in Eritrea, it was mentioned that the yearbooks were written last year, and maybe there have been updates. Haven't found any. So sorry for our Brothers and Sisters in  that part of Africa. Many of our Brothers have benefited from decisions by the European Court.....

They've been having trouble for many years, I learned last year...

I met Elias..

post-4283-0-18484900-1435913183_thumb.jp

...and his delightful wife Ashley at the Detroit International Convention. They came from Moncton, New Brunswick, though they now live in Toronto.

Elias told me how the Eritrean brothers and sisters escaped from their country many years ago when Witnesses were subject to ill-treatment by the government there. They went in large numbers in Ethiopia.

After several years there the Ethiopian government wanted to banish all Eritrean refugees but gave the Witnesses a short time to find an alternative destination as they wouldn't be safe in their home country.

Apparently quite a lot went to Canada and a number finished up in Moncton. Which isn't all that far from you!

If you use a a small fire extinguisher to put out a ground fire, remember PASS for

P-Pull the pin or retaining clip

A-Aim the nozzle toward the leading edge of the fire

S-Squeeze the handle or trigger

S-Sweep rapidly side to side.

Use the fire extinguisher the same way you would use a water hose to wash debris down your driveway. Aim in front of the fire and rapidly sweep side to side to 'wash' the fire away from you, do not spray into the fire.

If you don't have a fire extinguisher then use the 'rule of thumb'. Stand back and use your outstretched arm and exposed thumb to visually block your view of the fire. If your exposed thumb does not completely block your view of the fire, you are too close...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I did try to reply to another thread, but, it got locked while I was typing

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I did try to reply to another thread, but, it got locked while I was typing

Oh...that one...

I was avoiding that one but I had just started making popcorn when the moderators locked it out.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Don't want to continue that thread anyway ......

I was trying to figure how to make my CDs play backwards.. :lol:

Even though Canada officially uses the Metric System, Canadian Football uses Yards and Holmes uses a tape measure with inches and feet

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Holmes uses a tape measure with inches and feet

So the Americans don't get confused eh?

You don't understand?

I think the Canadians have had metrics as long as we have, that's forty years or so... yet on the shelves in the supermarkets the price of goods is shown in '$*** per lb'. But when you pay the stuff is weighed and priced by the kilogram.

I don't think I can make it any clearer...

You don't understand?

I think the Canadians have had metrics as long as we have, that's forty years or so... yet on the shelves in the supermarkets the price of goods is shown in '$*** per lb'. But when you pay the stuff is weighed and priced by the kilogram.

I don't think I can make it any clearer...

Makes perfect sense to me. I just had nothing to add, with a  Canadian Accent. (My kinfolk come from Purcell's Cove near Halifax.) Not having anything to add doesn't necessarily keep me from joining a conversation.Not knowing the lyrics doesn't stop me from singing. And not knowing the steps doesn't keep me from dancing.  "Ah-Yup" said while inhaling. That's my Maine accent. 

Makes perfect sense to me. I just had nothing to add, with a  Canadian Accent. (My kinfolk come from Purcell's Cove near Halifax.) Not having anything to add doesn't necessarily keep me from joining a conversation.Not knowing the lyrics doesn't stop me from singing. And not knowing the steps doesn't keep me from dancing.  "Ah-Yup" said while inhaling. That's my Maine accent. 

Post 311 was spelled better. 

Hey Scooby-Doo, we are tied. Maybe I'll get bumped off the top of the list today.

post-574-0-37465800-1436284653_thumb.jpg

Canada sells a lot to the US, thus we keep both metric and standard units.

Now to really confuse you. In liquid measure not only did the Yanks change size of pints, quarts and gallons from British standard,

they also changed the ounce ( it is actually larger than British ounce; 29.57 ml vs 28.41 ml thus 1 US Gallon is 128 US ounces= approx 133.5 Imp. ounces).

So when is an ounce not an ounce? Depends where you live. :poke:(td)

They can't spell colour either. :deadhorse:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Canada sells a lot to the US, thus we keep both metric and standard units.

Now to really confuse you. In liquid measure not only did the Yanks change size of pints, quarts and gallons from British standard,

they also changed the ounce ( it is actually larger than British ounce; 29.57 ml vs 28.41 ml thus 1 US Gallon is 128 US ounces= approx 133.5 Imp. ounces).

So when is an ounce not an ounce? Depends where you live. :poke:(td)

They can't spell colour either. :deadhorse:

The British ton is the long ton, which is 2240 pounds, and the U.S. ton is the short ton which is 2000 pounds. There is also an third type of ton called the metric ton (tonne), equal to 1000 kilograms, or approximately 2204 pounds. There are also three types of cubits. Which cubit do you think is spoken of in this week's reading? It was def not a quick-build. :hammer:

There are also three types of cubits. Which cubit do you think is spoken of in this week's reading? 

Rubics Cubit?

Or yeah, right!

I probably misquoted that, I've been known to make a misstaek once.

I think the English teacher said a double negative would make a positive but a double positive would never make a negative, then said student sarcastically states "yeah...yeah"

I probably misquoted that, I've been known to make a misstaek once.

I think the English teacher said a double negative would make a positive but a double positive would never make a negative, then said student sarcastically states "yeah...yeah"I 

I heard a miss steak comes from a female bovine. :raspberry: Bull!

I heard a miss steak comes from a female bovine. :raspberry: Bull!

Did you hear about the cattleman that would use orange spray paint and write COW on the side of his cows on the first day of deer season to prevent them from being shot. One day he painted COW on the side of his bull and one of his neighbors started to kid him about it. The cattleman calmly replied, "City Slickers start hunting tomorrow, I don't want to confuse them"