JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My off topic thread

This week my schedule is more scrambled than runny eggs. My dog has an appt for Thurs, so my Thurs study will be held on Tuesday. My study from Last Weds was ill, so her study will be tomorrow, Monday. I have a new study that was supposed to happen Tuesday, but I rescheduled for Weds. My usual Thursday morning study (ignore preceding adjustments) has a two year old daughter. My friend with a three year old son, and myself, usually plan most of our calls with young children to be on the same day, so her little boy can interact. He is a real asset to us. The two year old girl (whose mother we study with) says, "I breathe the Bible." for "I read the Bible."   :uhhuh: ruach  in a Strong Hebrew sort of way

Edited by kejedo

Schedules can be overloaded, at times. Besides my usual work, some of which I have to drive an hour and a half each way to do, we have three funerals this week. My wife's Uncle's wife died (not Witnesses) ans she will be taking her Dad (he is a JW) to the graveside on Tuesday.

We had an Elder in our Hall die last week and his memorial is Thursday night, we will be going to that.

Also, a Brother I have known for over 50 years (he was 86) also died and his memorial service is Sunday afternoon.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Schedules can be overloaded, at times. Besides my usual work, some of which I have to drive an hour and a half each way to do, we have three funerals this week. My wife's Uncle's wife died (not Witnesses) ans she will be taking her Dad (he is a JW) to the graveside on Tuesday.

We had an Elder in our Hall die last week and his memorial is Thursday night, we will be going to that.

Also, a Brother I have known for over 50 years (he was 86) also died and his memorial service is Sunday afternoon.

So sorry for all the grief and loss to you and your wife.

Do our ears deceive us? Why does a car engine or siren sound higher in pitch when approaching that when it is receding? The doppler effect. The Doppler effect is observed whenever the source of waves is moving with respect to an observer. The Doppler effect can be described as the effect produced by a moving source of waves in which there is an apparent upward shift in frequency for observers towards whom the source is approaching and an apparent downward shift in frequency for observers from whom the source is receding.

I can hear 'an apparent downward shift in frequency' as my hair recedes.

That is due to your ear hair starting to fill in as the hair line recedes.... :D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

To kick the bucket is an English idiom, considered a euphemistic, informal, or slang term meaning 'to die'. Its origin remains unclear, though there have been several theories. A common theory is that the idiom refers to hanging, either as a method of execution or suicide. However, there is no evidence to support this.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I once read that it only takes three songs to change your mood. First, play a song that matches your mood, make sure it is a song that you like, your brain will match it to your current mood. Second, play a song that you like that is partly like the mood you are in and partly the mood that you want to be in. Your brain will still be identifying with the first song however it will be receptive to the second song. Third, play a song that matches the mood that you want to be in and then continue to play similar song. Your brain will be lead in small steps from a bad mood to a good mood.

I suspect there will be a lot of mudslides in California that winter. Most of the people in my neighborhood have let their lawn die and now have a dirt lawn. It was on the news that a lot of trees are becoming diseased or dying due to the drought. I see a lot of ground cover in the hillsides that has died due to the drought. They are forecasting a very wet winter and I suspect we are losing the root structure that would help prevent mud slides. I'm predicting my neighbors dirt lawn will wash out and plug up the street drain and cause the street to flood. I better get the sand bags ready.... 

I once read that it only takes three songs to change your mood. First, play a song that matches your mood, make sure it is a song that you like, your brain will match it to your current mood. Second, play a song that you like that is partly like the mood you are in and partly the mood that you want to be in. Your brain will still be identifying with the first song however it will be receptive to the second song. Third, play a song that matches the mood that you want to be in and then continue to play similar song. Your brain will be lead in small steps from a bad mood to a good mood.

Truly?

:bouncing:

Truly?

I have been searching for information about it and I haven't found it yet but yes, that i what I heard or read many years ago

I am using my very old laptop. I wanted to back up my taxes (including the software) and my original writings. I was not sure if the software from my tax programs would back up onto a stick or cd.  Kept getting a pop-up message from "Back up Files" and eventually answered, and ended up talking on the phone with this company that advertises 60 day unconditional money back guarantee on a big golden star on their webpage. The company is Systweak. There are many bad reviews about this company. I can not find the original  page with the big gold star, but I have printed out one of their pages that says 'all our products come with a 60 day money back guarantee.' The word unconditional is not there now.  I called paypal on day 32, and told them I do not want this service. They have already taken over 500 out of my paypal acount and sent me a message on my email asking for more money. Now, if you are using Systweak and like them, that's okay. I am among those that do not want to continue this service.  I have taken out a case with Paypal and they are reviewing it. Systweak has been bombing my phone with calls. A computer savvy friend of mine told me not to talk to them; they are scammers (in her opinion). They are now remotely in my hard drive. My friend had the same experience and they deteriorated the entire contents of her laptop. I have a different laptop now and purchased an external hard drive for back-up. Just thought I'd find this thread again in case someone has to move many of my meanderings that drifted off topic on other subjects.  :blushing:

Edited by kejedo

I am using my very old laptop. I wanted to back up my taxes (including the software) and my original writings. I was not sure if the software from my tax programs would back up onto a stick or cd.  Kept getting a pop-up message from "Back up Files" and eventually answered, and ended up talking on the phone with this company that advertises 60 day unconditional money back guarantee on a big golden star on their webpage. The company is Systweak. There are many bad reviews about this company. I can not find the original  page with the big gold star, but I have printed out one of their pages that says 'all our products come with a 60 day money back guarantee.' The word unconditional is not there now.  I called paypal on day 32, and told them I do not want this service. They have already taken over 500 out of my paypal acount and sent me a message on my email asking for more money. Now, if you are using Systweak and like them, that's okay. I am among those that do not want to continue this service.  I have taken out a case with Paypal and they are reviewing it. Systweak has been bombing my phone with calls. A computer savvy friend of mine told me not to talk to them; they are scammers (in her opinion). They are now remotely in my hard drive. My friend had the same experience and they deteriorated the entire contents of her laptop. I have a different laptop now and purchased an external hard drive for back-up. Just thought I'd find this thread again in case someone has to move many of my meanderings that drifted off topic on other subjects.  :blushing:

I could not get Systweak products out of my old laptop, which is now just a blank screen.  I faxed the hard copy of the 60 day guarantee to Paypal. Systweak sent me an email today that they refuse a refund b/c they only offered a 30 day guarantee. I spoke to Paypal and they said they are expecting to decide in my favor by tomorrow. I am sorry I answered the email on this laptop. I do not know if they are capable of getting into this computer through an email. My other laptop ID'd them as spyware. I will run another scan on this laptop now. 

I went through the McDonald's driveway window and I gave the cashier a $5 bill.
The total was $4.25, so I also handed her 25c.
She said, 'you gave me too much money.'
I said, 'Yes I know, but this way you can just give me a dollar back.'
She sighed and went to get the manager who asked me to repeat my request.
I did so, and he handed me back the 25c, and said 'We're sorry but we don’t do that kind of thing.'
The cashier then proceeded to give me back 75 cents in change.
I always taught my students to count back change. Used to be considered a courtesy; now it's an enigma.

Had to have the garage door repaired.
The repairman told us that one of our problems was that we did not have a 'large' enough motor on the opener.
I thought for a minute, and said that we had the largest one made at that time, a 1/2 horsepower.
He shook his head and said, 'You need a 1/4 horsepower.'
I responded that 1/2 was larger than 1/4 and he said, 'NOOO, it's not. Four is larger than two.'
We haven't used that repairman since... I also always taught my students the nature of fractions.

I live in a semi rural area.
We recently had a new neighbor call the local city council office to request the removal of the DEAR CROSSING sign on our road.
The reason: 'Too many dears are being hit by cars out here! I don't think this is a good place for them to be crossing anymore.' 

Fast FOOD SERVICE.
My son went to a Mexican fast food and ordered a taco.
He asked the person behind the counter for 'minimal lettuce.'
Taco artist said he was sorry, but they only had iceberg lettuce.

I was at the airport, checking in at the gate when an airport employee asked,
'Has anyone put anything in your baggage without your knowledge?'
To which I replied, 'If it was without my knowledge, how would I know?'
He smiled knowingly and nodded, 'That's why we ask.'

The pedestrian light on the corner beeps when it's safe to cross the street.
I was crossing with a co-worker of mine.
She asked if I knew what the beeper was for.
I explained that it signals blind people when the light is red.
Appalled, she responded, 'what on earth are blind people doing driving?!'
She is a certified teacher.....

When I arrived at a car dealership to pick up the car after a 
service, I was told the keys had been locked in it.
I went to the service department and found a mechanic working feverishly to unlock the driver’s side door.
As I watched from the passenger side, I instinctively tried the door handle and discovered that it was unlocked.
‘Hey,' I announced to the technician, 'its open!'
His reply, 'I know. I already did that side.'
Duh! I am glad I retired from teaching. 

Also, why do they say "take delivery"? Is that logical?

I went through the McDonald's driveway window and I gave the cashier a $5 bill.

The total was $4.25, so I also handed her 25c.

She said, 'you gave me too much money.'

I said, 'Yes I know, but this way you can just give me a dollar back.'

She sighed and went to get the manager who asked me to repeat my request.

I did so, and he handed me back the 25c, and said 'We're sorry but we don’t do that kind of thing.'

The cashier then proceeded to give me back 75 cents in change.

Wow. Classics.

I worked at one of the original McDonalds next to Disneyland when I was a pup, the manager use to show the cashiers how easily someone could confuse them by asking for change and getting more than they are supposed to. I'm not surprised they have a rule to not make extra change.

Cardiologist's assistant called me this morning (as I was getting ready for another doc's appt.) Says my overall cholesterol has gone down almost 40 pts,

but he still wants to put me on meds. Tryglycerides=normal; hdl= higher than normal; LDL=slightly elevated. I asked his assist to delay meds, since I am

taking red yeast rice, coq 10, (considering molybdenym) and she asked me to add fish oil (kept in freezer.)

Next: Doc's appt. He thought I was doing well, but said use as little caffeine as possible.

Last appt of the day MY primary - looks at same blood cholesterol test and says everything is fine and the elevated HDL more than compensates for the LDL;

no need for cholesterol meds. I take one Excedrin for MIgraine (as a last resort and with doc's advice) in a given day. She and her assistant take 3

Excedrin for MIgraine =65 mgs of caffeine each. Then I got my vitamin shot and headed out.

Should I have just stayed in and acted on my own instinct?

I didn't realize there was a difference between dip chips and chips for dips until I bought a bag of chips for dips. One the end of each chip was a little marker that said 'hold here' and an arrow of the other side that said 'insert into mouth'

I felt like such a dip...