JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3193 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I get the feeling that this new invention will not be available for Jehovah's witnesses.  Don't really know though.

----

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27783-what-is-artificial-blood-and-why-is-the-uk-going-to-trial-it.html

What is artificial blood and why is the UK going to trial it?

00:01 25 June 2015 by Colin Barras

Artificial blood will soon be tested in the UK for the first time. New Scientist takes a look at how – and why – this blood is made.

What is artificial blood?
Blood substitutes aim to replicate one particular job of real blood: supplying oxygen to tissues. In other words, the goal is to find an alternative to oxygen-carrying red blood cells that could be used for transfusions. Today, the UK National Health Service announced it plans to start transfusing people with artificial blood by 2017 – the first clinical trials of this kind anywhere in the world.

Others are investigating whether it's possible to make entirely synthetic substitutes based on oxygen-carrying molecules like perfluorocarbons. But the version the NHS will trial is based around real red blood cells that were generated in the lab.

How are these cells made?
From stem cells. Researchers have previously managed to take hematopoietic stem cells from volunteers' bone marrow and encourage them to grow into red blood cells using chemical growth factors. The NHS will probably use a similar approach, although it also plans to explore using blood from umbilical cords – another rich source of hematopoietic stem cells.

This has come up on this forum before. My personal view is that it is still blood made from the cells that make blood and that any blood outside the body isn't for putting back in it, should be 'returned to the ground' because outside of/dis-attached from a body, it belongs to God. That's my view, I'd rather have careful surgery with another alternative that expands what I have and I do what I can to build up my own blood-building reserves before elective surgery.

Roll on the New World where such complex decisions over surgery choices will not be needed. 

I get the feeling that this new invention will not be available for Jehovah's witnesses.  Don't really know though.

----

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27783-what-is-artificial-blood-and-why-is-the-uk-going-to-trial-it.html

What is artificial blood and why is the UK going to trial it?

00:01 25 June 2015 by Colin Barras

Artificial blood will soon be tested in the UK for the first time. New Scientist takes a look at how – and why – this blood is made.

What is artificial blood?

Blood substitutes aim to replicate one particular job of real blood: supplying oxygen to tissues

Banked Blood Loses Ability to Deliver Oxygen to Tissues

DURHAM, N.C. –Almost immediately after it is donated, human blood begins to lose a key gas that opens up blood vessels to facilitate the transfer of oxygen from red blood cells to oxygen-starved tissues.

Interesting that the know stored blood loses the ability to carry oxygen.  They are now trying to overcome that issue with artificial blood.  Yet they keep pushing blood as red gold.

Disgusting.  

This has come up on this forum before. My personal view is that it is still blood made from the cells that make blood and that any blood outside the body isn't for putting back in it, should be 'returned to the ground' because outside of/dis-attached from a body, it belongs to God. That's my view, I'd rather have careful surgery with another alternative that expands what I have and I do what I can to build up my own blood-building reserves before elective surgery.

Roll on the New World where such complex decisions over surgery choices will not be needed. 

Fractions come from processing whole blood, donated by blood donors.  So the processing of blood itself does not constitute a clear cut yes/no situation.  Hence why the use of fractions, along with certain mechanical techniques, are a conscience matter.  I don't have enough knowledge to take a view on this subject right now but I would imagine that if this technique becomes commonplace and something that could be faced by a Witness then we will have some guidance, either through the publications or via the HLC.

I subscribe to NS but I've not read the article yet so I am interested to see what it says.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)