JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The planet Venus

The premise was how does the current state of the planet Venus fit in the progression of the creative days.

Should this discussion be moved to a different forum?

I find this topic interesting, just a poor fit.

Do we have a "Pure Speculation" forum?

Might be a good idea.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

It is always about Jehovah God and his creations, this is why we love our Jehovah because he gives us many celestial movies to enjoy now and forever!

Tortuga you have redeemed yourself!  If I may I'd like to add something else about the history of Venus.

So there they were many decades ago, a young married couple in love, romantically gazing at the stars. Probably there with a blanket, some grapes, and muenster cheese. She was there, the wife, very heavy with child, a precious little girl baby filled her loins and suddenly the planet Venus came into focus probably along with the planet Jupiter since it was early summer there in the western hemisphere, and since they were having such a wonderful time and wanted to remember its warmth for years to come they named the baby Venus because she would probably be slightly (well a lot) nuts because she would also rotate backwards and opposite every other planet.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

I think both Venus and Mars are in the first creative days process, however, Mars would be closer to being able to support life... it needs an atmosphere closer to earth's.  Then it needs water and a canopy as earth had earlier before the Flood... too much radiation on Mars.  I think I would like to visit as a tourist, but I prefer earth as a home.

Nah, Mars is further along than day 1.  

*** ce chap. 3 What Does Genesis Say? ***

Day 1: “Let light come to be”

Day 2: “Let an expanse come to be”

Day 3: “Let the dry land appear”

Day 3: “Let the earth cause grass to shoot forth”

Day 4: ‘Let luminaries come to be in the expanse, the greater for dominating the day and the lesser for dominating the night’

Day 5: ‘Let the waters swarm forth living souls and let flying creatures fly over the earth’

Day 6: ‘Domestic animal and wild beast according to its kind’

Day 6: “Male and female he created them”

Looks like Day 3.   Or end of 2.

I find this topic interesting, just a poor fit.

Do we have a "Pure Speculation" forum?

Might be a good idea.

Some of us moderators feel there are too many forums now and that we don't need to pigeon-hole every topic.  

Since we're discussing  a subject that can only be accomplished after Armageddon and with Jehovah's blessing, this is as good a fit as any.  Meditation on the coming new world.

If my question is not appropriate, I apologize. If I need correction, please do so. Our concept of time, hours, days, years, is based on the Earth's rotation. All of the planets vary in the amount of time it takes for them to complete one "day.

Mercury. 58 Earth days, 15 hours

Venus. 243 Earth days

Mars. 24 hours 39 minutes 35 seconds

Jupiter 9.9 Earth hours

Saturn. 10 hours 39 minutes 34 seconds

Uranus 17 hours 14 minutes. 24 seconds

Neptune 16 hours 6 minutes 6 seconds

Pluto. 6.39 Earth days

If we inhabit other planets, how would we count time? Would we have to convert to Earth time? Like those of us who do not observe Daylight Savings time, or converting west coast(USA) time to east coast(USA) time.

If my question is not appropriate, I apologize. If I need correction, please do so. Our concept of time, hours, days, years, is based on the Earth's rotation. All of the planets vary in the amount of time it takes for them to complete one "day.

Mercury. 58 Earth days, 15 hours

Venus. 243 Earth days

Mars. 24 hours 39 minutes 35 seconds

Jupiter 9.9 Earth hours

Saturn. 10 hours 39 minutes 34 seconds

Uranus 17 hours 14 minutes. 24 seconds

Neptune 16 hours 6 minutes 6 seconds

Pluto. 6.39 Earth days

If we inhabit other planets, how would we count time? Would we have to convert to Earth time? Like those of us who do not observe Daylight Savings time, or converting west coast(USA) time to east coast(USA) time.

Good question.  It seems that humans are accustomed to the 24 hour day.  In the science fiction I've read they always continue to use hours and 24 hours for a day.  In the Mars trilogy I cited above they added a 39 minute "slip time" at the end of every day.  The clocks during the day would run for a normal 24 hours.  At midnight the clocks would stop for 39 minutes to allow for that extra time.

We add leap seconds to the clock every now and then now.  We even add 24 hours to the year every 4 years (leap day).  

Isn't there a scripture about how a day to a Venusian is like 243 days?

Maybe that will be in the new scrolls... :)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Isn't there a scripture about how a day to a Venusian is like 243 days?

Maybe that will be in the new scrolls... :)

Venus would have a day that lasted 243 days and a year that is about 288 days. Of course the way Venus is tilted the seasons would be strange.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Venus would have a day that lasted 243 days and a year that is about 288 days. Of course the way Venus is tilted the seasons would be strange.

Sounds like a lovely place to spend a few thousand years with Jehovah's new creations.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I'm wondering if it is a bit presumptuous to suggest that other planets are also for us.

Maybe Venus will be for Venusians and Mars for Martians etc.

These planets might need totally different creative 'days'.

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I'm wondering if it is a bit presumptuous to suggest that other planets are also for us.

A 1954 WT agrees with you however we don't know if Jehovah will let us explore the planets. 

*** w54 3/1 p. 159 Questions From Readers ***
Whether there are other planets like the earth in other parts of the universe or not, and, if so, whether any of them are inhabited by some kind of life or not, or whether any of them ever will be so inhabited in the future or not, we cannot say because the Bible does not say. To concern ourselves with such questions is idle speculation, and we could never arrive at any definite answer. We can say, however, that there are no Scriptural grounds for contending that any future populating of other planets will be done by transporting couples from earth. The earth and the people on it are not that important. If Jehovah wanted flesh-and-blood creatures on other planets he could easily make them from the dust of those planets, and not need to miraculously transport earthly couples through light-years of space. It is well for us not to exalt ourselves to such a spectacular role in universal affairs, but concentrate on the earthly duties given us by our Creator. Remember what Jesus said: “Everyone that exalts himself will be humiliated, but he that humbles himself will be exalted.”—Luke 18:14; 14:7-11, NW.

As much as I like science fiction, I believe humans will always be the only sentient and sapient physical created beings.

I guess we will all have to wait and see. It makes interesting speculation but we won't know until Jehovah decides it is time for us to know.

All those stars and planets must be there for a purpose.   For Jehovah to create all those stars and planets and then tell us we can never leave Earth, we can only look at these other places would be like building a huge museum or art gallery and telling the guests they can never leave the lobby.  "Here, use the binoculars and video cameras to look around the museum.  So sorry, but we didn't build all this so you could get up close and personal."

All those stars and planets must be there for a purpose.   For Jehovah to create all those stars and planets and then tell us we can never leave Earth, we can only look at these other places would be like building a huge museum or art gallery and telling the guests they can never leave the lobby.  "Here, use the binoculars and video cameras to look around the museum.  So sorry, but we didn't build all this so you could get up close and personal."

Exactly my point. With that in mind, it seems reasonable the closest planets would be in various states of preparation for mankind to inhabit. That's why I wonder if Mars and Venus are still going through the creation process so one day we can live there. If they are going through the creation process, then the canopy that we currently see around Venus may be a good indication of what the canopy looked like around the Earth at one time.

This reminds me of something I have treasured and pondered for years. In the book, "Is There a Creator Who Cares About You?", chapter 4, page 55, there is a box, entitled "From Particle Physics to Your Brain". Professor Paul Davies reflected on the ability of the brain to handle the abstract field of mathematics. "Mathematics is not something that you find lying around in your back yard. It's produced by the human mind. Yet, if we ask where mathematics works best, it is in areas like particle physics and astrophysics, areas of fundamental science that are very, very far removed from everyday affairs". What does that imply? It suggests to me that the consciousness and our abi,it's to do mathematics are no mere accident, no trivial detail, no insignificant by-product of evolution"- Are We Alone.

Jehovah is a God of love. He gives us abilities in order that we may use them, and enjoy the use of them. All of the advanced sciences that we "understand", and can display on paper, a loving God would enable us to to put those to use in a practical way.

"Mathematics is not something that you find lying around in your back yard. It's produced by the human mind. Yet, if we ask where mathematics works best, it is in areas like particle physics and astrophysics, areas of fundamental science that are very, very far removed from everyday affairs". What does that imply? It suggests to me that the consciousness and our abi,it's to do mathematics are no mere accident, no trivial detail, no insignificant by-product of evolution"- Are We Alone.

This is a very good point. I recently read a paper where a scientist (not a creationist at all) argued in favor of the universe having been designed based in that we are able to understand it. If we are just a by-product of some blind mechanism and a series of unlikely coincidences, why should we be able to understand the universe? In fact, why does the universe have laws at all, and laws that we can deduce and comprehend and calculate using mathematical formulas? It very much looks as if our minds were designed specifically to understand the language that rules all physical processes in the universe.

I can't locate now where I read it, but it was something like "Is maths a feature of the universe or just a human invention?"

As much as I like science fiction, I believe humans will always be the only sentient and sapient physical created beings.

That is, of course, until we evolve into some superior creature... Ooops, wrong forum! :lol:

If Jehovah creates new things, I hope he creates something on the other planets that tastes as good as bacon.  :D

A 1954 WT agrees with you however we don't know if Jehovah will let us explore the planets.

*** w54 3/1 p. 159 Questions From Readers ***

Whether there are other planets like the earth in other parts of the universe or not, and, if so, whether any of them are inhabited by some kind of life or not, or whether any of them ever will be so inhabited in the future or not, we cannot say because the Bible does not say. To concern ourselves with such questions is idle speculation, and we could never arrive at any definite answer. We can say, however, that there are no Scriptural grounds for contending that any future populating of other planets will be done by transporting couples from earth. The earth and the people on it are not that important. If Jehovah wanted flesh-and-blood creatures on other planets he could easily make them from the dust of those planets, and not need to miraculously transport earthly couples through light-years of space. It is well for us not to exalt ourselves to such a spectacular role in universal affairs, but concentrate on the earthly duties given us by our Creator. Remember what Jesus said: “Everyone that exalts himself will be humiliated, but he that humbles himself will be exalted.”—Luke 18:14; 14:7-11, NW.

I never thought of it as exalting ourselves to inhabit other planets. Just thought of it being the next step after the earth is full.

Also possible that rather than Jehovah terraforming new planets he may expect US to learn how to do it. He didnt make the whole earth paradise. It was mans job to do that. He just gave us a good start.

I never thought of it as exalting ourselves to inhabit other planets. Just thought of it being the next step after the earth is full.

Also possible that rather than Jehovah terraforming new planets he may expect US to learn how to do it. He didnt make the whole earth paradise. It was mans job to do that. He just gave us a good start.

I think you are saying Jehovah makes it possible to live there and we make it a paradise.