JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

N.Y. School principal bans Santa, Thanksgiving and Pledge

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2975 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Just saw this on the news!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/13/school-principal-bans-santa-thanksgiving-and-pledge-allegiance/

Santa Claus is banned. The Pledge of Allegiance is no longer recited. “Harvest festival” has replaced Thanksgiving, and “winter celebrations” substitute for Christmas parties.

New principal Eujin Jaela Kim has given PS 169 in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, a politically correct scrub-down, to the dismay of teachers and parents.

“We definitely can’t say Christmas, nothing with Christmas on it, nothing with Santa,” PTA President Mimi Ferrer said administrators told her. “No angels. We can’t even have a star because it can represent a religious system, like the Star of David.”

Kim, 33, did not return a call or e-mail seeking comment.

A memo last month from assistant principal Jose Chaparro suggested a “harvest festival instead of Thanksgiving or a winter celebration instead of a Christmas party.” He urged staff to “be sensitive of the diversity of our families. Not all children celebrate the same holidays.”

Ninety-five percent of the 1,600 kids at PS 169 are Asian or Hispanic.

Recently a Communist party won the local elections for the city of Barcelona in Spain. The new mayoress has changed all mentions of Christmas to "celebration of the winter solstice".

So, 1600 years later the government decides to switch Son worship back to Sun worship. That's bureaucracy for you... :)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

A friend of ours, an elder and teacher from the Bronx moved to a liberal school district in the Pacific Northwest. He would very tactfully witness to the superintendent, teachers and students alike.

During the holidays he would take the class to the library and show them the Blue Laws, and the origins of pagan holidays, in the old Encyclopedia Britannicas and mentioned that he personally did not celebrate, but that each person has the choice to decide for himself. That would open the door for many fine discussions with the parents. He was very personal and well liked in the community and retired a little while back.    :D

I was the admins fave - conducting workshops for other teachers. This area's Educational Partnership wanted to do an educational Video of my class to "teach the teachers how to teach." I always told my spiritual friends, "The world can turn on us in a second."  And suddenly "boom." My job became impossible and after I retired, another teacher told me there had been a conspiracy to make me quit. She had been asked to issue a false complaint about me and refused. The reasons may have included the holiday pressure and non flag salute at graduation, but according to another teacher, the final straw was the that I had a medical letter to use a rolling chair in the classroom, because of a health problem, (not job related). This made my immediate supervisor livid, as she had set up my classroom (new building) with all stationary chairs. My admins did not want to fire me, because it is problematic to get rid of someone due to a medical situation, so they had a plan to drive me out. I retired a bit sooner than I planned, but am in physical therapy, in much better health,and am auxil pioneering. Jehovah has blessed me with many calls and studies. I constantly meet students and their parents in the community and get lots of positive feedback from them and other community members. If I had retired before the rolling chair issue, I would have never experienced, first hand, how the tables would turn. :wave: Learned that the hard way. :lol1: 

p.s. I wonder what will happen to that Principal of the Brooklyn High School.  There are cases on record that teachers were fired for saying Santa is a myth. For young teachers to be fired is a death knell for their career. Fortunately, I was at retirement age, anyway.    

Edited by kejedo

• 1 month later...
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D