JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2015

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofScotland/Greyfriars-Bobby/

I can't wait to have the animals in subjection!  Right now I have six dogs who own me!  I am fascinated by the animal kingdom and wonder how much purpose they will play apart of our lives in Paradise.  Surley not just love and enjoyment!  They have been instilled with so much knowledge and compassion I wonder how Jehovah will further our communicagtion with them.  Any thoughts?

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofScotland/Greyfriars-Bobby/

I can't wait to have the animals in subjection!  Right now I have six dogs who own me!  I am fascinated by the animal kingdom and wonder how much purpose they will play apart of our lives in Paradise.  Surley not just love and enjoyment!  They have been instilled with so much knowledge and compassion I wonder how Jehovah will further our communicagtion with them.  Any thoughts?

That's very interesting.  Studies on dolphins have discovered that they have some sort of communication structure.  For example, they each have their own names that are expressed by "signature whistles".  Dolphins communicate with individual dolphins by sounding the dolphin's signature whistle, followed by other whistles (which we have no idea what they mean).  A group of marine biologists went out with a special underwater speaker, and played signature whistles of specific dolphins they knew.  The "called" dolphin would turn around and stare at them when hearing its name.  

Language structures have also been discovered in elephants and certain types of apes.  I think it will be fascinating to learn more about these animals and perhaps even develop a way to communicate with them.

We just have to remember that they aren't human and have no moral or spiritual sense; sometimes it's hard to not view them as "little humans".  But I still think it would be nice to be able to know them much more so than we do now.

Friday, February 27

We are overturning . . . every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God.​—2 Cor. 10:5.

Fundamentalists of Christendom teach that the universe, including our earth and all life on it, is only a few thousand years old. Those who teach this doctrine​—known as creationism—​may have high regard for the Bible, but they contend that God created all things in six 24-hour days just a few thousand years ago. They reject credible scientific evidence that contradicts their view. As a result, the teaching of creationism actually discredits the Bible, making it appear unreasonable and inaccurate. Individuals who promote such views might remind us of some in the first century who had a zeal for God “but not according to accurate knowledge.” (Rom. 10:2) How can we use God’s Word to overturn the “strongly entrenched” doctrines of evolution and creationism? (2 Cor. 10:4) We can do so by gaining accurate knowledge of the Bible. w13 10/15 1:1, 3

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Evolution- contradicts the bible and leaves ones with little hope. In view of it - life has no purpose. Then there is the other extreme- creationism.

How use the bible to overturn? "Was life created" brochure a great tool. Gen 1:1 - simple but powerful. This is an action separate from :3 onward. The universe and earth was in existence for an indefinite time before the activity in :3.

How long were creative days? The Bible doesn't say. Wording indicates considerable lengths of time. Science and Bible harmonize.

Recent years we have the feature - "was it designed?" Example - April 2015 "function of cat whiskers" . :) Discussed. Only now partially understood. Why study? Researchers designing things to mimic - sensors (eWhiskers) . What do you think? Evolution or design? Simple.

Revelation 4:11 YOU are worthy Jehovah! We have the tools.all credit to Jehovah.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Opps, thanks Jerry, I got home late and very tired. This text gives us good reason to study and look into the deeper things so that we can help people to see that everything Jehovah says and does is good.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

ok...  my husband said that he learned many years ago (as a witness child) that we believed the 6,000 year thing. That it was taught to him. In the 70's it would have been. Was that ever the understanding?

Edited by normaclutter

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

Last year high schools were showing a video to students in Science classes involving a debate between Creationist Ken Ham and Humanist scientist Bill Nye as to the age of the earth.  Sadly, Humanist Nye won the debate with flying colors.  A main reason scientists are put off by religious fundamentalists is that they think creationists are quite nutty with attempts to prove the earth is only 6,000 years old.  The even sadder truth is the fact that students are adopting Nye's educational scientific, blended with common sense, reasoning about the age of the earth and giving more credence to humanism/atheism.  These days more and more younger folks seem to think humanist/atheist scientists make better sense than those who actually believe there is a God.  Satan works in many, and any, way(s) he can in this nutty, crazy, and robotic-thinking world.

Edited by Mei

ok...  my husband said that he learned many years ago (as a witness child) that we believed the 6,000 year thing. That it was taught to him. In the 70's it would have been. Was that ever the understanding?

For a long time we understood the creative days to be 7,000 years long.

I never heard of 6000 years except in reference to time since Adam's creation.

Which is why 1975 became such a big thing.

Never in my years, and they are many, have we ever concluded that the earth was only 6000 years old.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Saturday, February 28

I saw four angels . . . holding tight the four winds of the earth.—Rev. 7:1.

When the angels unleash the winds of destruction, what will happen then? Babylon the Great, the world empire of false religion, will meet her deserved end. “Peoples and crowds and nations and tongues” will be unable to give her effective support. Already we see indications that her demise is near. (Rev. 16:12; 17:15-18; 18:7, 8, 21) In fact, a lack of support is now reflected in the news media, where religion and religious leaders are increasingly coming under attack. Even so, the leaders of Babylon the Great feel that they are in no real danger. How wrong they are! Following the proclamation of “Peace and security!” political elements of Satan’s system will suddenly turn on false religion and wipe it out. (1 Thess. 5:3) Never again will Babylon the Great be seen! Surely it is worth waiting patiently for such momentous events.—Rev. 18:8, 10. w13 11/15 2:13, 14

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Sunday, March 1

[Hezekiah] kept sticking to Jehovah. He . . . continued keeping his commandments.—2 Ki. 18:6.

When Assyrian King Sennacherib invaded Judah and threatened to overthrow King Hezekiah, Jehovah intervened by dispatching an angel. In just one night, God’s angel destroyed “every valiant, mighty man” in the Assyrian army, so that Sennacherib was forced to return home humiliated. (2 Chron. 32:21; 2 Ki. 19:35) Why did God fight for King Hezekiah? Because he “kept sticking to Jehovah” and kept His commandments. Another example of one who obeyed Jehovah’s commands is King Josiah. Beginning at the tender age of eight, “he proceeded to do what was right in Jehovah’s eyes . . . He did not turn aside to the right or to the left.” (2 Chron. 34:1, 2) Josiah demonstrated his trust in Jehovah by cleansing the land of idols and restoring true worship. In so doing, Josiah brought blessings not only to himself but also to the entire nation.—2 Chron. 34:31-33. w13 9/15 1:5, 6

Monday, March 2

The very portions of the Levites had not been given them.—Neh. 13:10.

Not having material support, the Levites were abandoning their assignments and going off to work in their fields. Nehemiah blamed the deputy rulers for the situation. Apparently, they were not caring for their duties. Either they were not collecting the people’s tithes or they were not forwarding them to the temple, as they had been assigned to do. (Neh. 12:44) So Nehemiah took steps to have the tithes collected. He appointed trustworthy men to oversee the temple stores and future distributions. Is there a lesson here for us? Yes, for we are reminded that we have the privilege of honoring Jehovah with our valuable things. (Prov. 3:9) When we make contributions to support his work, we are merely giving to Jehovah what already belongs to him. (1 Chron. 29:14-16) We may not think that we have much to give, but if the desire is there, all of us can have a share.—2 Cor. 8:12. w13 8/15 1:9, 10

Tuesday, March 3

Those days will be cut short.—Matt. 24:22.

What can we expect will happen during the coming great tribulation? Jehovah will “cut short” the attack of the United Nations on false religion, not allowing true religion to be destroyed with the false. This will ensure that God’s people will be saved. What happens after the initial part of the great tribulation has passed? Jesus’ words indicate that there will be a period of time that will last until the start of Armageddon. What events will occur during that interval? The answer is recorded at Ezekiel 38:14-16 and Matthew 24:29-31. After those events, we will witness Armageddon, the climax of the great tribulation, which parallels Jerusalem’s destruction in 70 C.E. (Mal. 4:1) With the battle of Armageddon as its climax, that coming great tribulation will be unique—an event “such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning.” (Matt. 24:21) When it has passed, Christ’s Millennial Rule will begin. w13 7/15 1:7, 8

The shorter, the better if you ask me :D

But not so short that false religion doesn't get COMPLETELY removed, eh.

May Jehovah's name be cleared up completely - SOON!

Soon .....

Wednesday, March 4

Each one must prove to be like a hiding place from the wind and a place of concealment from the rainstorm.—Isa. 32:2.

Not long ago, zealous Witnesses living on different continents were asked, “Which quality do you value most in an elder?” The overwhelming majority answered, “Being approachable.” Commenting on a reason why she felt that this quality is so important, one sister noted: “Only if an elder is approachable will we be able to benefit from any other fine qualities he may have.” Do you see the logic of that observation? But what makes a person approachable? A key to being approachable is showing genuine interest in others. If an elder cares about others and is willing to give of himself in their behalf, his brothers and sisters, including young ones, will likely sense this attitude. (Mark 10:13-16) Of course, it is not enough for an elder to say that he is approachable; he should manifest that quality.—1 John 3:18. w13 6/15 1:5, 6

Even though this text concentrated on the elders, it made me think to apply it to myself as in am I approachable? Hmm, I'll like to think I am. But what about reality? So, just in case...gotta lotta work to do. :)

Edited by Luezette

Thursday, March 5

They are . . . alienated from the life that belongs to God.—Eph. 4:18.

To become reconciled to God, people must first be convinced that Jehovah exists and that there are good reasons for drawing close to him. We can help them to gain that knowledge by encouraging them to examine creation. When people study creation with an open mind, they learn of God’s wisdom and power. (Rom. 1:19, 20) Even so, those who learn only from creation will not find answers to some of life’s most perplexing questions, such as these: Why does God allow suffering? What is God’s purpose for the earth? Does God care about me as an individual? The only way that people can fully grasp the good news about God and his purpose is by studying the Bible. What a privilege we have to help people find answers to their questions! To reach the heart of our listeners, though, we need to do more than inform them of facts; we must persuade them.—2 Tim. 3:14. w13 5/15 1:6-8

Friday, March 6

[God’s] law he reads in an undertone day and night.—Ps. 1:2.

Reading in an undertone can be helpful. To illustrate, imagine a young Christian brother whose personal reading program has taken him to the prophecy of Hosea. In chapter 4, he pauses after reading verses 11 to 13 in an undertone. Why? Those verses catch his attention because he has been struggling to resist immoral pressures in school. He reflects on the verses and thinks: ‘Jehovah sees the bad things people do even in private. I do not want to offend him.’ The brother resolves to remain morally clean before God. Also, imagine a Christian sister who is reading Joel’s prophecy and comes to chapter 2, verse 13. As she reads that verse in an undertone, she reflects on how she should imitate Jehovah, who is “gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abundant in loving-kindness.” She decides to try to eliminate the sarcasm and angry words that she sometimes uses when she speaks to her husband and others. w13 4/15 1:4-6