JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2015

Thursday, April 30

Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world.—1 John 2:15.

We cannot expect to be holy if we are feeding on improper thoughts and desires. We must love Jehovah with “a clean heart.” (1 Tim. 1:5) But the heart is treacherous, and we may not even realize how deeply “the things in the world” are affecting us. (Jer. 17:9) Therefore, should we not ‘keep testing whether we are in the faith, keep proving what we ourselves are’ by honest self-examination in light of what we study in the Bible? (2 Cor. 13:5) Another factor that helps us to resist “the things in the world” is that we keep in mind John’s inspired words: “The world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever.” (1 John 2:17) Satan’s system seems to be permanent and real. Nevertheless, one day it will come to an end. Nothing that Satan’s world has to offer has permanence. Remembering that fact will help us not to be seduced by the Devil’s enticements. w13 8/15 4:5, 17, 18

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Friday, May 1

Jehovah your God . . . treats none with partiality.—Deut. 10:17.

Impartiality is one of Jehovah’s endearing qualities. What does it mean to be impartial? It involves being fair, free from having or showing bias or favoritism. Genuine impartiality has two elements: attitude and actions. Why are both needed? Because only if someone is impartial in his outlook will he be moved to treat all with impartiality. In the Christian Greek Scriptures, the expression “not partial” literally means not a “taker of faces,” that is, not favoring one face over another. (Acts 10:34; Kingdom Interlinear) Hence, one who is impartial will pay due regard, not to an individual’s outward appearance or circumstances, but to his or her character as a person. Jehovah is the greatest example of impartiality. His Word states that he “is not partial” and that he “treats none with partiality.”—Acts 10:34, 35. w13 6/15 1:11, 12

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Saturday, May 2

He will separate people one from another, just as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.—Matt. 25:32.

Jesus will judge people of all nations as sheep or goats when he comes during the great tribulation. Then, at Armageddon, the climax of the great tribulation, the goatlike ones will be ‘cut off’ forever. (Matt. 25:46) How does that understanding affect our view of our ministry? It helps us to see how important our preaching work is. Until the great tribulation begins, people still have time to change their thinking and start walking on the cramped road “leading off into life.” (Matt. 7:13, 14) To be sure, people may now display a sheeplike or a goatlike disposition. Nevertheless, we should remember that the final judgment of who are sheep and who are goats is during the great tribulation. Therefore, we have good reason for continuing to offer as many people as possible the opportunity to listen to and respond to the Kingdom message. w13 7/15 1:12, 13

Edited by GrumpysWife

Sunday, May 3

Prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.—Rom. 12:2.

As a parent, what would you do if your teenage child expressed concern about being able to defend his belief in creation when talking with a classmate? Explain to your child that he could review some facts and then ask leading or viewpoint questions. For instance, a classmate could be asked to read the box on page 21 of the Origin of Life brochure. Your child could then ask, “Is it true that the capacity of DNA for storing information still has no parallel in today’s computer age?” The classmate will likely answer yes. Then your child could ask, “If human computer technicians cannot achieve such results, how could mindless matter do so on its own?” To help your child become more comfortable when conversing with others about his faith, you can regularly conduct practice sessions with him. If you train him to use questions effectively, you will help him to fulfill his role as an evangelizer. w13 5/15 1:12-14

You have some good points Sister Verna Lee. When I taught Life Science, I used the info from the Reasoning Book that like produces like. I told my students that I didn't want to violate anyone's beliefs, including mine. If I had to test them, I would ask: "According to your book........?" My students asked me lots of 'what if' questions. At the end of that year my students told me they really learned to think for themselves. I did not use class as a venue for preaching, but to promote critical thinking.. 

Edited by kejedo

Monday, May 4

The holy spirit . . . will . . . bring back to your minds all the things I told you.—John 14:26.

The Bible contains many words that can encourage, correct, or strengthen its readers. But you may ask, ‘How can I have scriptures at the ready when I need them?’ Read the Bible and meditate on God’s thoughts daily. In that way, you will build a reserve of divine expressions that Jehovah’s spirit can help you recall when you need them. (Mark 13:11) Like King Solomon, pray to Jehovah for wisdom in carrying out theocratic responsibilities. (2 Chron. 1:7-10) As did the prophets of old, make “a diligent inquiry and a careful search” of God’s Word for accurate knowledge of Jehovah and his will. (1 Pet. 1:10-12) The apostle Paul encouraged Timothy to nourish himself “with the words of the faith and of the fine teaching.” (1 Tim. 4:6) By your doing so, you will be in an excellent position to help others spiritually. At the same time, you will build up your own faith. w13 4/15 1:14, 15

Tuesday, May 5

He goes away and immediately forgets what sort of person he is.—Jas. 1:24.

The man in James’ illustration turned away from the mirror without acting on what he saw. In contrast, the successful man not only “peers into the perfect law” but also “continues in it.” (Jas. 1:22-25) Instead of leaving the perfect law of God’s Word behind, he persists in following its teachings. Jesus made a similar point when he said: “If you remain in my word, you are really my disciples.” (John 8:31) Therefore, to be successful in fighting traces of selfishness, you must first read God’s Word carefully. That may help you to identify areas needing attention. But you need to go further. Dig deeper by doing research. Once you have a Bible account clearly in mind, put yourself into it by asking such questions as: ‘How would I have acted in this situation? Would I really have acted in a right way?’ Most important, after you meditate on what you have read, strive to apply it.—Matt. 7:24, 25. w14 3/15 1:5-7

Wednesday, May 6

God, your God, has anointed you.—Ps. 45:7.

Jehovah anointed Jesus as King of the Messianic Kingdom. Jesus was anointed with “the oil of exultation” more than his “companions,” that is, the kings of Judah of the line of David. How so? For one thing, Jesus was anointed by Jehovah himself. Furthermore, Jehovah anointed him as both King and High Priest. (Ps. 2:2; Heb. 5:5, 6) In addition, Jesus was anointed not with oil but with holy spirit, and his kingship is not earthly but heavenly. Jehovah installed his Son as his Messianic King in the heavens in 1914. ‘The scepter of his kingdom is a scepter of uprightness,’ so the righteousness and equity of his reign are guaranteed. (Ps. 45:6) His authority is legitimate, since ‘God is his throne.’ That is, Jehovah is the foundation of his kingdom. Moreover, Jesus’ throne will last “forever and ever.” Are you not proud to be serving Jehovah under such a mighty, God-appointed King? w14 2/15 1:7, 8

Thursday, May 7

[God] wiped every living thing from the surface of the earth.—Gen. 7:23.

The Flood did not wash away imperfection, and humans still had to cope with the invisible influence of Satan and the rebellious angels. It was not long before rebellion against Jehovah’s benevolent rule again flared up. For example, Noah’s great-grandson Nimrod took opposition to Jehovah’s rule to new heights. Nimrod is described as being “a mighty hunter in opposition to Jehovah.” He built great cities, such as Babel, and set himself up as a king “in the land of Shinar.” (Gen. 10:8-12) What action would the King of eternity take toward this rebel king and his efforts to thwart God’s purpose to “fill the earth”? (Gen. 9:1) God confused the people’s language, causing Nimrod’s frustrated subjects to be scattered “over the entire face of the earth.” They took their false worship and pattern of human rulership with them.—Gen. 11:1-9. w14 1/15 1:8, 10

Friday, May 8

Although all the others are stumbled in connection with you, never will I be stumbled!—Matt. 26:33.

Jesus responded by saying that Peter would disown him three times. Unmoved, Peter declared: “Even if I should have to die with you, I will by no means disown you.” (Matt. 26:34, 35) Nevertheless, Peter did stumble, just as Jesus had foretold. Overwhelmed by his final denial of Jesus, Peter “wept bitterly.” (Luke 22:60-62) Peter certainly learned a lesson from this experience and overcame his tendency to be self-confident. Evidently, prayer helped Peter in this regard. In fact, it is noteworthy that the counsel to “be vigilant with a view to prayers” comes from Peter. (1 Pet. 4:7) Are we heeding that inspired counsel? Furthermore, do we “pray continually” and thereby show our dependence on Jehovah? (Matt. 26:41; Ps. 85:8) Let us also bear in mind the apostle Paul’s admonition: “Let him that thinks he is standing beware that he does not fall.”—1 Cor. 10:12. w13 11/15 1:10, 11

Saturday, May 9

Stand firm and maintain your hold on the traditions that you were taught, whether it was through a verbal message or through a letter of ours.—2 Thess. 2:15.

Paul urged his brothers in Thessalonica to “stand firm” and stick to what they had learned. What were “the traditions” that they had been taught? Certainly not those held by false religion and promoted as if they were as valuable as what is found in the Scriptures. Rather, Paul was referring to the teachings that he and others had received from Jesus as well as what God moved the apostle to transmit, much of which became part of the inspired Scriptures. Paul commended his brothers in the congregation in Corinth because, as he wrote, “in all things you have me in mind and you are holding fast the traditions just as I handed them on to you.” (1 Cor. 11:2) Such teachings came from a reliable source and could indeed be trusted. w13 12/15 1:10

Sunday, May 10

[God’s] invisible qualities are clearly seen.—Rom. 1:20.

Jehovah’s wisdom is revealed in the cycles that sustain life on earth. Consider the oxygen cycle. Billions of creatures take in oxygen and give off carbon dioxide. Even so, the supply of oxygen never runs out, and the atmosphere never becomes choked with the “waste” gas, carbon dioxide. Why not? The answer is found in an amazing process known as photosynthesis. Using this process, green vegetation takes in carbon dioxide, water, sunlight, and nutrients and produces carbohydrates and oxygen. When we take in oxygen, we complete the cycle. In a literal way, Jehovah uses the vegetation that he designed to give “to all persons life and breath.” (Acts 17:25) What remarkable wisdom! Jehovah’s brilliance is also revealed in the multitude of creatures that inhabit our remarkable planet. Estimates of the number of species on earth vary from 2 million to 100 million. (Ps. 104:24) Jehovah’s wisdom is evident in the design of them all. w13 10/15 1:5, 8-10

Invisible qualities are the most powerful and are seen by their results,such as the speed of light, quarks, neutrinos, positrons, and love.  Romans 1:20 clearly indicates that we can appreciate the results of the unseen processes. Plants lean toward the sun and are called heliocentric. We,similarly, are Theocentric. I made up the word, but it makes sense to me.   

Monday, May 11

Become doers of the word.—Jas. 1:22.

Today, increased emphasis has been placed on building up our spirituality through personal Bible reading, having a Family Worship evening, as well as being regular in meeting attendance and in the ministry. Have we made adjustments in order to follow these instructions? Doing so will help us to build the kind of faith that will preserve us alive into the new world. The directions that we have received will also help us with matters of everyday life. Examples include maintaining a balanced view of material things and keeping a simple eye in order to reduce anxiety. And we have benefited from guidance regarding our dress and grooming, choosing wholesome entertainment, and deciding on the appropriate amount of education. And think of the safety reminders we have received as to our homes, automobiles, Kingdom Halls, and preparing for possible emergencies. Such counsel shows that God cares about our well-being. w13 9/15 1:1, 10, 11

Tuesday, May 12

Keep on . . . seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness.—Matt. 6:33.

Although Christians are not required to observe a weekly Sabbath, Paul tells us that “there remains a sabbath resting for the people of God.” He added: “The man that has entered into God’s rest has also himself rested from his own works, just as God did from his own.” (Heb. 4:9, 10) As Christians, we can enter into God’s rest by obediently working in harmony with his advancing purpose. Are you and your loved ones giving family worship, meeting attendance, and the field ministry first place in your lives? We may have to be resolute with our employer or business associates, especially if they do not respect our theocratic priorities, in order to give priority and proper attention to sacred things. We do well to ask ourselves, ‘Does the way I live demonstrate that I have been set apart for Jehovah’s service?’ w13 8/15 1:15

Wednesday, May 13

Feed my little sheep.—John 21:17.

The apostles kept their responsibility to feed Jesus’ sheep clearly in focus. For example, notice how they handled a sensitive and potentially divisive issue that arose in the newly formed congregation. Ironically, the matter involved food—material food. Greek-speaking widows were being overlooked in the daily food distribution, but Hebrew-speaking widows were not being overlooked. How did the apostles resolve this delicate issue? “The twelve” appointed seven qualified brothers to oversee the “necessary business,” the food distribution. The apostles—most of whom had no doubt shared in distributing food to the crowds whom Jesus had miraculously fed—saw that it was more important for them to focus on spiritual feeding. Thus, they devoted themselves to “the ministry of the word.”—Acts 6:1-6. w13 7/15 3:7, 9

Thursday, May 14

With someone loyal you will act in loyalty.—2 Sam. 22:26.

How can we imitate Jehovah’s loyalty? One way is by taking action in behalf of those who are facing difficult circumstances. (Prov. 3:27) For example, do you know of a fellow believer who is discouraged, perhaps because of health problems, family opposition, or personal failings? Why not take the initiative to offer that person some “good words, comforting words”? (Zech. 1:13) Doing so, you are proving yourself to be a loyal and true friend. (Prov. 18:24) We can also imitate Jehovah’s loyalty by remaining true to those whom we love. For example, if we are married, we know that we must stay faithful to our marriage mate. (Prov. 5:15-18) So we do not take even the first step down a path that could lead to adultery. (Matt. 5:28) In addition, we show loyalty to our fellow believers by shunning hurtful gossip or slander, refusing to spread such negative talk or even to listen to it.—Prov. 12:18. w13 6/15 3:4, 7, 8

Friday, May 15

There is . . . a time to keep quiet and a time to speak.—Eccl. 3:1, 7.

“I now realize that there are times when raising an issue is not appropriate,” observed a sister who has been married for ten years. “If my husband is overwhelmed with work or other responsibilities, I let a little time pass before I raise certain matters. Our conversations are much smoother as a result.” Discerning wives also speak graciously, aware that a well-chosen word “spoken at the right time for it” is both appealing and appreciated. (Prov. 25:11) A Christian husband should do his part not only by listening to what his wife says but also by striving to express his own feelings clearly. Also helpful is the right setting, perhaps when the couple are alone considering the day’s text or reading the Bible together. Important for both husband and wife are prayer and a strong desire to improve their communication skills. w13 5/15 3:6-8

Saturday, May 16

I saw, and, look! an opened door in heaven.—Rev. 4:1.

There are many things that Jehovah chose not to include in his written Word. For example, he did not provide details about how the brain works or how the universe functions, even though such information would have been very fascinating! Rather, Jehovah provided information that we need in order to understand his purposes and to live our lives in harmony with them. (2 Tim. 3:16, 17) How interesting, then, that the Bible does provide glimpses of the invisible part of Jehovah’s organization! We thrill at reading the descriptions of Jehovah’s heavenly arrangement written by Isaiah, Ezekiel, and Daniel and in John’s Revelation account. (Isa. 6:1-4; Ezek. 1:4-14, 22-24; Dan. 7:9-14; Rev. 4:1-11) It is as if Jehovah pulled back a curtain and allowed us to peer into the heavens. Why did he provide this information? Jehovah wanted us never to forget that we are part of a universal organization. w13 4/15 3:5, 6

Sunday, May 17

They will be brought with rejoicing and joy.—Ps. 45:15.

Zechariah foretold that in the time of the end, people of the nations would gratefully associate themselves with the remnant of spiritual Israel. He wrote: “In those days ten men out of all the languages of the nations will take hold . . . of the robe of a Jew, saying: ‘We want to go with you, for we have heard that God is with you people.’” (Zech. 8:23) At Psalm 45:12, these symbolic “ten men” are spoken of as “the daughter of Tyre” and “the wealthiest of men.” They come to the anointed remnant with gifts, ‘seeking their favor’ and spiritual help. Since 1935, millions of people have allowed the remnant to ‘bring them to righteousness.’ (Dan. 12:3) These loyal companions of the anointed Christians have purified their lives, becoming spiritual virgins. These “virgin companions” of the anointed have dedicated themselves to Jehovah and have proved themselves to be faithful subjects of the Bridegroom-King.—Ps. 45:14. w14 2/15 2:14

Monday, May 18

The days of distress [will] come and the years [will] arrive when you will say: “I have no pleasure in them.”—Eccl. 12:1.

The time comes when most elderly people are no longer able to care for themselves fully; they need some assistance. (Eccl. 12:2-7) Together with their adult children, they should determine the best kind of help and arrange for affordable solutions. It is usually wise to have a family meeting to discuss cooperation, needs, and strategies. All involved, especially the parents, should express their feelings openly and address the facts realistically. They might discuss whether with additional help the parents can safely remain in their own home. Or they might consider how each relative’s strengths can be used to attend to such matters as giving day-to-day care or providing financial assistance. (Prov. 24:6) All should realize that everyone has a role; however, that role may change as time goes on and some rotation of duties may have to be considered. w14 3/15 4:3

This scripture always makes me teary eyed.  I think of it often as I care for my older patients at the hospital.  It is like they are just waiting for the day to die--when their suffering will be no more.  I wish they could grasp what we know.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I'm reaching that point myself where my boy's will have to step in and help us. We are both still able to take care of ourselves but it is getting harder and harder to do. I never thought I would reach this point in my life. My dad told me I would never leave my teens. Maybe he meant something else. :(  :D  :blink: