JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2015

Thursday, June 4

Mature people . . . have their perceptive powers trained.—Heb. 5:14.

When conducting a Bible study, we might simply have the student repeat answers printed in a Bible study aid. If we do so, however, we could stunt the spiritual growth of the student. Why? Because a student who repeats answers without meditating on them is unlikely to grow deep spiritual roots. He could easily end up being like a plant that withers under the heat of opposition. (Matt. 13:20, 21) To help avoid that outcome, we need to ask our student how he feels about what he is learning. Try to discover if he agrees with the points made. More important, have him say why he agrees or disagrees. Then help him to reason on the Scriptures so that he will eventually be able to arrive at correct conclusions by himself. If we use questions effectively, individuals we teach are more likely to be solidly rooted in the faith and to be able to resist the efforts of those who would oppose or mislead them.—Col. 2:6-8. w13 5/15 1:16

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Friday, June 5

Let us keep our senses and have on the breastplate of faith and love and as a helmet the hope of salvation.—1 Thess. 5:8.

A soldier’s heart needs protection from the enemy. Similarly, a Christian’s figurative heart requires shielding from the power of sin. What happens when a servant of Jehovah couples strong faith in God’s promises with love for Him and for fellow humans? Such a servant puts on a spiritual breastplate of the highest quality. It is unlikely that he will do anything to lose God’s favor. Paul also mentioned a helmet, “the hope of salvation.” With a good helmet, a soldier in Bible times could survive blows to the head without suffering serious injury. We build hope in Jehovah’s saving acts by studying his Word. Strong hope enables us to resist apostates and their gangrenous “empty speeches.” (2 Tim. 2:16-19) Our hope will also strengthen us to say no to those who would lead us into conduct condemned by Jehovah. w13 4/15 1:17, 18

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Saturday, June 6

Strap your sword on your side, O mighty one.—Ps. 45:3.

Because Christ is an invincible Warrior-King, he is addressed as “O mighty one.” He strapped on his sword in 1914 and was victorious over Satan and his demons, whom he hurled out of heaven to the vicinity of the earth. (Rev. 12:7-9) That was only the beginning of the King’s victorious ride. He must yet “complete his conquest.” (Rev. 6:2) Jehovah’s judgments are still to be executed on all elements of Satan’s system on earth, and Satan and his demons must be neutralized. First to go will be Babylon the Great, the world empire of false religion. It is Jehovah’s purpose to use the political rulers to destroy this wicked “prostitute.” (Rev. 17:16, 17) Next, the Warrior-King will proceed against Satan’s political system, bringing it to nothing. Christ, who is also called “the angel of the abyss,” will then complete his conquest by abyssing Satan and his demons.—Rev. 9:1, 11; 20:1-3. w14 2/15 1:9, 10

Sunday, June 7

[God] did not allow any man to oppress them, but on their account he reproved kings.—Ps. 105:14.

Out of loyalty to his friend Abraham, Jehovah promised him: “Kings will come from you.” (Gen. 17:6; Jas. 2:23) God repeated to Abraham’s son Isaac and grandson Jacob his promise to bless them, which would include producing kings from their descendants. (Gen. 26:3-5; 35:11) However, prior to producing kings, Jacob’s descendants became slaves in Egypt. Did this mean that Jehovah would not fulfill his promise or that he had relinquished his sovereignty over the earth? Not at all! In his due time, Jehovah demonstrated his divine power and expressed his sovereignty over stubborn Pharaoh. The enslaved Israelites put their faith in Jehovah, who delivered them in a grand way through the Red Sea. Jehovah was still the Universal Sovereign, and as a caring Father, he used his great power to protect his people.—Ex. 14:13, 14. w14 1/15 1:11, 12

Monday, June 8

It is necessary for us to pay more than the usual attention to the things heard by us, that we may never drift away.—Heb. 2:1.

A boat that drifts away from the riverbank may do so imperceptibly at first. Gradually, the gap increases. This illustrates the situation of some who fall prey to deception, allowing their confidence in the truth to weaken. Today, time-wasting pursuits abound. Think about how many hours are spent keeping in contact through social networks, reading and answering electronic messages, avidly pursuing hobbies, or constantly keeping abreast of sports events. Any one of these activities could distract a Christian and weaken his zeal. The result? Heartfelt prayer, study of God’s Word, meeting attendance, and preaching the good news might suffer. On the other hand, daily reading and regular study of God’s Word will help us to focus on where we are in the stream of time—keeping us aware that we are in “the last days.”—2 Pet. 3:3, 4. w13 12/15 1:11-13

Tuesday, June 9

At once [Nehemiah] prayed to the God of the heavens.—Neh. 2:4.

Jehovah answered Nehemiah’s prayers and directed matters in a way that benefited His people. (Neh. 2:5, 6) Praying continually, as Nehemiah did, helps us to maintain strong faith. Satan is merciless and often strikes us when we are weak. If we are dealing with illness or are struggling with depression, for instance, we may begin to feel that the time we spend in the ministry each month means very little to God. Some of us may experience distressing thoughts, perhaps because of past experiences in life. Satan would have us believe that we are worthless. His attacks are often designed to play on our emotions and thus weaken our faith. When confronted with tests and trials, let us remember the example of Nehemiah and immediately turn to God in prayer. It is only with Jehovah’s help that we can succeed in resisting temptations and enduring tests of our faith. w13 11/15 1:12-14

Pray all the time. Be prayerful. It doesn't have to be in the form of requests all the time. Prayer could be something as "simple" as thanking Jehovah. It could be thanking him, praising him, commending him for a beautiful flower we see in passing for example. He appreciates that.

Edited by Luezette

Pray all the time. Be prayerful. It doesn't have to be in the form of requests all the time. Prayer could be something as "simple" as thanking Jehovah. It could be thanking him, praising him, commending him for a beautiful flower we see in passing for example. He appreciates that.

Though I agree with you, I have noticed that it is still better to work on a classic prayer routine. A full, personal prayer in the morning and one in the evening.

A brother on the platform once said that Jehovah appreciates getting short-messages on a regular basis, but every once in a while he appreciates a letter, too.

Wednesday, June 10

Gird yourselves with lowliness of mind toward one another, because God opposes the haughty ones, but he gives undeserved kindness to the humble ones.—1 Pet. 5:5.

In the first century, God’s people received regular reminders. Jesus repeatedly spoke to his disciples about the need to cultivate humility. However, he did more than simply tell his disciples what it meant to be humble—he showed them how. On his final day on earth as a human, Jesus gathered the apostles for the Passover. While his apostles were eating, Jesus got up from the meal and washed their feet—an act that was usually performed by a servant. (John 13:1-17) This humble act left a lasting impression on them. Some 30 years later, the apostle Peter, who had been present at that meal, gave fellow believers the counsel found in today’s text. Jesus’ example should move all of us to be humble in our dealings with one another.—Phil. 2:5-8. w13 9/15 1:12

I wasn't saying that all prayers should be "short messages" all the time. I just said that, because we may feel that Jehovah only wants long prayers (which isn't true, he wants us to talk to him from the heart), even short ones pleases him. Sometimes while walking I see a beautiful flower for instance and I tell him "that flower is so beautiful Jehovah." He appreciates that.

And as far as once in the morning, once in the evening, while it sounds good and I'm certain you meant well, I don't think our conversations with Jehovah should be on a schedule. I mean, isn't that what you meant?

Thursday, June 11

You created all things.—Rev. 4:11.

King David described the information needed to build a human body as being written in a figurative book. Speaking of Jehovah God, he said: “Your eyes saw even the embryo of me, and in your book all its parts were down in writing, as regards the days when they were formed and there was not yet one among them.” (Ps. 139:16) Understandably, David was moved to praise Jehovah when he considered the way his own body was created. The discoveries made by scientists in recent years have only added to the awe we feel when we contemplate the way that Jehovah made us. These discoveries give us added reason for agreeing with the psalmist who wrote of Jehovah: “I shall laud you because in a fear-inspiring way I am wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, as my soul is very well aware.” (Ps. 139:14) Really, how could people not see that creation reveals the existence of a living God? w13 10/15 1:14

They cannot see "creation reveals the existence of a living God" because, for the most part, they simply don't want to. Believing would interfere with their life of self-autonomy. Then there's the god who's influencing them to believe that self-autonomy is the way to live.

Friday, June 12

Clothe yourselves with love.—Col. 3:14.

Love, “a perfect bond of union,” is the most important quality in a marriage. Genuine love grows as a loyal couple experience life together, with its joys and challenges. They become even closer friends and cherish each other’s company. Such marriages are nourished, not by just a few great deeds, as portrayed in the media, but by countless smaller acts—a hug, a kind remark, a thoughtful gesture, a telling smile, or a sincere “how was your day?” These little things can make a big difference in a marriage. Love also impels a couple to continue learning about each other. (Phil. 2:4) In turn, such knowledge makes their love grow even stronger despite their imperfections. A successful marriage is not static but grows richer and stronger with time. So if you are married, ask yourself: ‘How well do I know my mate? Do I understand his or her feelings and thoughts on matters? How often do I think about my spouse?’ w13 5/15 3:9, 10

Saturday, June 13

This day must serve as a memorial for you, and you must celebrate it as a festival to Jehovah.

—Ex. 12:14.

When you think of anniversaries, which one readily comes to your mind? “My wedding anniversary,” a married person might say. For others, it might be the date of a widely celebrated historic event, such as when their homeland became independent. But do you know of a national anniversary that has been commemorated for over 3,500 years? There is such an event—the Passover. It marked the liberation of ancient Israel from slavery in Egypt. That event should be important to you. Why? Because it relates to some very significant aspects of your life. ‘But,’ you might think, ‘though Jews celebrate Passover, I am not a practicing Jew. Why should I be interested in that anniversary?’ The answer can be found in this profound statement: “Christ our passover has been sacrificed.”—1 Cor. 5:7. w13 12/15 3:1, 2

Sunday, June 14

The virgin companions following her are brought in before you.—Ps. 45:14.

The remnant of the bride class have been particularly grateful to these “virgin companions” for their zealous help in preaching “this good news of the Kingdom.” (Matt. 24:14) Not only do “the spirit and the bride keep on saying, ‘Come!’” but those hearing say, “Come!” (Rev. 22:17) The “other sheep” heard the members of the anointed bride class say “Come!” and have joined the bride in saying “Come!” to earth’s inhabitants. (John 10:16) The anointed remnant love their companions and are happy to know that the Bridegroom’s Father, Jehovah, has granted these other sheep on earth the privilege of joining in the jubilation over the heavenly marriage of the Lamb. It was foretold that these “virgin companions” would be “brought with rejoicing and joy.” (Ps. 45:15) Yes, the other sheep, who hope to live forever on earth, will share in the universal rejoicing. w14 2/15 2:14-16

I was just about floored this morning, when I read the Daily text! That text was clearly understood by my weak little mind, and gives a perfect picture of what we believe, when it comes to Scripture, and how it relates to our faith. 

It made me realize how far I have come in the past year, actually in the past 3 years! Having that TIA, in 2012, fractured wrist bones, in 2013, breast cancer treatments in 2014, and 2015, had really messed with my short term memory, much more than even I realized! It's been a rough ride, but with Jehovah on my side I seem to be recovering nicely.

Then a quick prayer to our great God, Jehovah was sent up, via Jesus, as it makes one think about how wonderfully made we are, as David related in the book of Psalms. That my body could recover physically, and mentally gives me an idea of what a perfect human body can be like. 

I am going to be awesome!!            

:gun-toot:     

Edited by MizPeg