JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2015

Saturday, April 11

Who do you say I am?—Matt. 16:15.

Jesus knew that well-chosen questions not only help a teacher learn about a student but also get the listener involved in the discussion. For example, when Jesus wanted to teach his disciples a lesson in humility, he first put a thought-provoking question to them. (Mark 9:33) To teach Peter how to reason on principles, Jesus asked him a multiple-choice question. (Matt. 17:24-26) On another occasion, when Jesus wanted to draw up what was in the heart of his disciples, he asked a series of viewpoint questions. (Matt. 16:13-17) By using questions and making statements, Jesus did more than impart facts. He touched hearts, motivating people to act in harmony with the good news. When we imitate Jesus by using questions effectively, we do at least three things. We discover how we can best help people, we overcome potential conversation stoppers, and we teach humble ones how they can benefit themselves. w13 5/15 1:10, 11

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Sunday, April 12

His delight is in the law of Jehovah.—Ps. 1:2.

While it is important that you daily read a portion of the Bible, you also want to gain understanding and insight. Therefore, make good use of the publications of Jehovah’s organization to do research. Or if you wonder how a certain Bible teaching might affect your life, you could ask a congregation elder or another mature Christian for help. Apollos was a Jewish Christian who had been teaching an out-of-date understanding of baptism. A Christian couple named Priscilla and Aquila explained “the way of God more correctly to him.” (Acts 18:24-26) Like Apollos, we strive to understand what we read in the Bible. However, when an experienced fellow believer suggests how we can teach more effectively, we want to accept that help with humility and gratitude. If we do so, the quality of our sacred service will improve. w13 4/15 1:4, 9-11

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Monday, April 13

The earth had become ruined in the sight of the true God.—Gen. 6:11.

By the time of Noah, the earth had become “filled with violence.” Did this mean that Jehovah no longer had control of earth’s affairs? What does the historical record reveal? Consider the account of Noah. Jehovah gave him detailed architectural plans and instructions to build a massive ark that would save Noah and his immediate family. God also showed great love for his entire human family when he commissioned Noah to be “a preacher of righteousness.” (2 Pet. 2:5) Noah’s message no doubt included a call for repentance and warnings of impending destruction, but it fell on deaf ears. For decades, Noah and his family lived amid a violent and grossly immoral world. Jehovah, as a caring Father, protected and blessed those eight loyal souls. By bringing a global Flood, Jehovah exercised dominion over the rebellious humans and wicked angels. Yes, Jehovah was definitely in control.—Gen. 7:17-24. w14 1/15 1:7, 8

Tuesday, April 14

The ground of whose two kings you are feeling a sickening dread [syria and Israel] will be left entirely.—Isa. 7:16.

Sometime between 762 B.C.E. and 759 B.C.E., the king of Israel and the king of Syria declared war on the kingdom of Judah. Their goal? To invade Jerusalem, remove King Ahaz from the throne, and replace him with another man, perhaps one who was not of the line of King David. (Isa. 7:5, 6) The king of Israel should have known better. Jehovah had decreed that one of David’s descendants would occupy His throne permanently, and God’s word never goes unfulfilled. (Josh. 23:14; 2 Sam. 7:16) At first, the Syro-Israelite alliance seemed to have the upper hand. In one battle alone, Ahaz lost 120,000 valiant fighting men! Maaseiah, “the son of the king,” was killed. (2 Chron. 28:6, 7) But Jehovah was watching. He remembered his promise to David; thus, he sent the prophet Isaiah with a most encouraging message—the words found in today’s text. w13 11/15 3:1-3

Wednesday, April 15

Consider others superior to you.—Phil. 2:3.

Eve acted out of a selfish desire to be like God. Her husband manifested a selfish desire to please her. (Gen. 3:5, 6) After turning Adam and Eve away from true worship, the Devil continued to tempt people to be selfish. He even tried that approach when tempting Jesus. (Matt. 4:1-9) In our day, Satan has successfully misled most people, moving them to manifest selfishness in many ways. This merits our attention because the prevailing selfish spirit could rub off on us. (Eph. 2:2) Selfishness may be compared to rust that develops on iron. If an iron object is exposed to the elements, it might begin to rust. The real danger lies in ignoring the rust, allowing it to develop to the point of causing structural damage or failure. Similarly, though we cannot presently eliminate our imperfection and selfish tendencies, we must be alert to the dangers involved and fight such tendencies.—1 Cor. 9:26, 27. w14 3/15 1:2-4

Thursday, April 16

Go, eat the fatty things and drink the sweet things, . . . and do not feel hurt, for the joy of Jehovah is your stronghold.—Neh. 8:10.

This was not the time for public confession of sins. Being a festival day, it was meant to be a joyous time in the worship of Jehovah. (Num. 29:1) Commendably, the people obeyed Nehemiah’s words, and the day turned into one of “great rejoicing.” On the very next day, the family heads gathered together to see how the nation could conform more closely to God’s Law. In their study of the Scriptures, they found that the seventh month was to include the Festival of Booths with its concluding solemn assembly from the 15th through the 22nd day of Tishri, so they began to make preparations. It turned out to be the most successful Festival of Booths since the days of Joshua and resulted in “very great rejoicing.” An important feature of this festival was the public reading of God’s Law, “day by day, from the first day until the last day.”—Neh. 8:12-18. w13 10/15 3:3, 4

Friday, April 17

The power beyond what is normal [is] God’s and not that out of ourselves.—2 Cor. 4:7.

As the Nazi regime collapsed at the end of World War II, an order was given to eliminate thousands who remained in concentration camps. The inmates of the Sachsenhausen camp were to be evacuated to seaports where they would be loaded on ships and sunk at sea. This was part of a strategy later known as the death marches. Thirty-three thousand of the prisoners from Sachsenhausen concentration camp were due to march 155 miles (250 km) to Lübeck, a port city in Germany. Among them were 230 of Jehovah’s Witnesses from six countries, who were ordered to march together. All had been weakened by starvation and disease. How were our brothers able to survive the march? “We continually encouraged one another to keep going,” said one of them. Along with God-given “power beyond what is normal,” their love for one another helped them survive the ordeal. w13 8/15 3:1, 2

Saturday, April 18

They lacked nothing.—Neh. 9:21.

When the Israelites set out on what became a 40-year trek through a “fear-inspiring wilderness,” Jehovah did not give them specific details beforehand as to how he would direct, protect, and care for them. Still, he repeatedly demonstrated that they could trust in him and his instructions. Using a pillar of cloud by day and one of fire by night, Jehovah reminded the Israelites that he was backing them as he led them across that inhospitable terrain. (Deut. 1:19; Ex. 40:36-38) He also provided for their basic needs. “Their very garments did not wear out, and their feet themselves did not become swollen.” (Neh. 9:19, 20) God’s servants today are on the threshold of a righteous new world. Do we trust in Jehovah to provide what we need in order to survive the coming “great tribulation”?—Matt. 24:21, 22; Ps. 119:40, 41. w13 9/15 1:9, 10

Sunday, April 19

They continued devoting themselves to the teaching of the apostles.—Acts 2:42.

Starting at Pentecost 33 C.E., the resurrected Christ used his apostles as the channel through which he fed the rest of his anointed disciples. That channel was clearly recognized by the Jews and proselytes who became spirit-anointed Christians that day. Unhesitatingly, they “continued devoting themselves to the teaching of the apostles.” According to one scholar, the Greek verb rendered “continued devoting themselves” can mean having “a steadfast and singleminded fidelity to a certain course of action.” The new believers had a deep hunger for spiritual food, and they knew exactly where to get it. With unwavering loyalty, they looked to the apostles to explain the words and deeds of Jesus and to shed fresh light on the meaning of the scriptures pertaining to him.—Acts 2:22-36. w13 7/15 3:8

Monday, April 20

With someone loyal you will act in loyalty.—2 Sam. 22:26.

“Even when David was on the run, living in and out of caves, Jehovah always sustained him,” said one brother. “I find that very encouraging! It reminds me that no matter what the circumstance might be, no matter how bleak the situation might seem, Jehovah will be there for me as long as I remain loyal to him.” No doubt, you feel the same way. (Rom. 8:38, 39) In what other ways does Jehovah demonstrate loyalty? He remains true to his standards. “Even to one’s old age I am the same,” he assures us. (Isa. 46:4) He always makes decisions based on his unchanging standards of right and wrong. (Mal. 3:6) In addition, Jehovah demonstrates loyalty by remaining faithful to his word of promise. (Isa. 55:11) Jehovah’s loyalty thus benefits all of his faithful worshippers. How so? When we do our best to adhere to Jehovah’s standards, we can be confident that he will keep his promise to bless us.—Isa. 48:17, 18. w13 6/15 3:4-6

Tuesday, April 21

He that is showing insight in a matter will find good.—Prov. 16:20.

Genesis 2:18 tells us that God made the woman to be a complement to the man, not a copy of him. Women generally like to talk about their feelings, people, and relationships. They appreciate warm, intimate communication, for it reassures them that they are loved. On the other hand, many men are less inclined to discuss their feelings and are more likely to talk about activities, problems, and solutions. And men desire to be respected. An insightful husband takes note of his wife’s feelings and tries to adapt his approach accordingly. At the same time, he reassures her that her thoughts and feelings are important to him. (1 Pet. 3:7) In turn, she tries to understand his viewpoint. When a husband and wife understand, appreciate, and fulfill their Scriptural roles, their union is a thing of beauty. Moreover, they are able to work together in making and carrying out wise and balanced decisions. w13 5/15 3:4, 5

This is one of my favorite scriptures. I had had a very bad situation going on for years with neighbors, who are also a part of our congregation. I had talked to the elders, and just came away feeling worse. Over and over. It was not one instance, but many, and some scary. I had to decided to allow my vehicle to be sideswiped, vs. going in the ditch, and have you know who act like it was a non event. Insurance thing. He almost ran me off the road one time. (I did not feel their actions were defendable, and yet, somehow they were defended) .....Even a Co or two. That is how long it went on.

Well, I had my appointment with the CO, and an elder. The CO let me pour my heart out, telling how much I felt hurt, and saw no end. Talk about sympathetic listening. This was the scripture he shared with me. And I felt like a lead weight had been lifted off my heart. What was going on was not even mentioned. No defense, no "try to understand what they go through". I was commended for my whatever, and this scripture was shared, It has been uphill for me sinse then. Things not hunky-dorry with my neighbors, but I know it is an act of loyalty for me to handle this as best I can. And it will be okay.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Well, I take a shot at this. It takes commitment on both sides and it hard to do. Why? One thing, time is a factor. Does a husband want to give up his time to listen what his wife thinking and feeling about? Sometimes wives have to sacrifice their time with their husband because of work and congregation duties. It can be hard on both sides, but it can be done with a sweat. Awesome daily text. :)

Wednesday, April 22

The little one himself will become a thousand, and the small one a mighty nation. I myself, Jehovah, shall speed it up in its own time.—Isa. 60:22.

Millions today have joined together to fill the earth with the preaching of the good news of the Kingdom. (Matt. 24:14) Jesus indicated, though, that some would find it challenging to maintain their focus in these last days. They would be distracted and become “weighed down.” (Luke 21:34) We are seeing the fulfillment of those words. Some among God’s people are getting sidetracked. This may be seen in the decisions they make with regard to secular work, higher education, and acquisition of material possessions, as well as the amount of time spent in sports and entertainment. Others are tiring out because of the pressures and anxieties of everyday life. Ask yourself: ‘How am I doing? What do my decisions say about my focus in life?’ w13 4/15 3:3

Thursday, April 23

It is enough! Now, O Jehovah, take my life away.—1 Ki. 19:4.

Elijah’s feelings were real. Alone with his thoughts, he reflected on the seeming futility of his work as a prophet. He had, in effect, tested himself by his own standards and had decided that he was a failure, of no value to Jehovah or anyone else. But the Almighty saw Elijah differently. Elijah remained valuable in God’s eyes, and Jehovah took steps to assure him of that reality. God sent an angel to strengthen Elijah. Jehovah also provided food and drink that would sustain Elijah during his 40-day trip south to Mount Horeb. Moreover, God kindly corrected Elijah’s mistaken idea that no other Israelites had remained faithful to Jehovah. Significantly, God gave Elijah new assignments, which he accepted. Elijah benefited from Jehovah’s help, and he returned to his work as a prophet with renewed energy.—1 Ki. 19:5-8, 15-19. w14 3/15 2:12, 14, 15

Friday, April 24

Strap your sword on . . . Go on to victory.—Ps. 45:3, 4.

Judgment will soon be executed upon “the great prostitute,” Babylon the Great, the world empire of false religion. (Rev. 17:1, 5, 16, 17; 19:1, 2) Christ will then go forth to execute God’s judgments on the rest of Satan’s wicked system on earth by destroying it at Armageddon. (Rev. 16:14-16; 19:19-21) Finally, the Warrior-King will complete his conquest by abyssing Satan and his demons, reducing them to a state of deathlike inactivity. (Rev. 20:1-3) As anointed Christians finish their earthly course during Christ’s presence, they are resurrected to heavenly life. Sometime after the destruction of Babylon the Great, Jesus will gather to himself all the remaining members of the bride class. (1 Thess. 4:16, 17) Before the outbreak of the war of Armageddon, therefore, all members of the “bride” will be in heaven. After that war, the marriage of the Lamb can take place.—Rev. 19:7. w14 2/15 2:10-12

Saturday, April 25

Remember . . . your Grand Creator in the days of your youth.—Eccl. 12:1.

The only acceptable way to “remember” Jehovah is to serve him fully. (Deut. 10:12) Your decision to serve God with all your heart is the most important choice you will ever make. It will shape your entire future. (Ps. 71:5) Of course, your choice to serve Jehovah is not the only choice that affects your future. For example, you may also wonder about whether you will marry, whom you might marry, and how you will earn a living. These are vital decisions, but you are wise to choose first whether you want to serve Jehovah as fully as possible. (Deut. 30:19, 20) Why? Because the choices are interrelated. What you decide about marriage and employment will affect how you serve God. (Compare Luke 14:16-20.) Conversely, your desire to serve God will affect your choices about marriage and employment. So decide on matters of primary importance first.—Phil. 1:10. w14 1/15 3:3, 4

A group of us single sisters served lunch to the C O and his wife yesterday. It will always be one of my favorite memories. Very insightful, and thought provoking. This is a first time C O, and I believe he will go very far in Jehovah's world. They had been special pioneers on the Mojave reservation, and their next assignment will be in Utah. We jokingly told him, if he commits a faux pas there, he can say that he learned it in the South.      :rockon:

Sunday, April 26

Speak to the entire assembly of Israel.—Ex. 12:3.

Obedience to those who today are taking the lead among us is vital. Think of how Jehovah communicated with his people during critical times in the past. When the people of Israel left ancient Egypt, God’s orders for them came through Moses and Aaron, who acted as bearers of Jehovah’s instructions to his people. (Ex. 12:1-7, 21-23, 29) Very likely, you can think of numerous other occasions in Bible history when Jehovah provided life-saving instructions through human or angelic representatives. In all these cases, God saw fit to delegate authority. Messengers spoke in his name, and they told his people what they needed to do in order to survive a crisis. Can we not imagine that Jehovah might do something similar at Armageddon? Naturally, any elders today who are delegated the responsibility of representing Jehovah or his organization must be exceptionally careful never to abuse the authority entrusted to them. w13 11/15 4:14, 15

Monday, April 27

Withdraw from every brother walking disorderly.—2 Thess. 3:6.

After saying those words, Paul specifically mentioned Christians who did “not want to work.” (2 Thess. 3:10) But if those were considered disorderly, how much more would that be true of ones who were veering toward apostasy! Yes, close association with such individuals back then was especially dangerous and was to be avoided—and that is also true today. (Prov. 13:20) We are nearing the outbreak of the great tribulation and the end of this wicked system, so those inspired warnings given in the first century take on greater significance. We definitely do not want to ‘miss the purpose’ of Jehovah’s undeserved kindness and lose out on the promise of everlasting life, be that in heaven or on earth. (2 Cor. 6:1) If ever someone attending our congregation meetings would try to entice us into discussions of personal speculations or critical conversations, we should definitely be on guard.—2 Thess. 3:13-15. w13 12/15 1:8, 9

Well, Jehovah did it again! He came to my rescue...with today's text! I'm specifically referring to my father, especially in view of what one of my daughters-in-law told me about giving my dad a chance. I'm not accusing her of anything, she just told me based on how she sees things based on their conversation.

But obviously, Jehovah sees otherwise so that's it! It's like he "put the icing on the cake" as my mother used to say when something was settled once and for all, done, completed, nothing else to do about it.

Praise Jehovah for giving us "food at the proper time."

Edited by Luezette

Tuesday, April 28

Just as you sent me forth into the world, I also sent them forth into the world.—John 17:18.

While on earth, Jesus worked hard to help his disciples to overcome their weaknesses. This was essential for them to complete the work that Jesus had started. For them to succeed in this lifesaving work, Jesus emphasizes three vital needs. First, he prays that his disciples be no part of Satan’s unholy world. Second, he prays that they may be sanctified, or kept holy, by applying to themselves the truth of God’s Word. Third, Jesus repeatedly begs that his disciples may be united in the same bond of love that exists between him and his Father. This calls for self-examination. Each of us should ask, ‘Am I acting in harmony with Jesus’ three requests?’ By giving attention to these things, Jesus expresses optimism “that the world may believe that you sent me forth.”—John 17:15-21. w13 10/15 4:12

Wednesday, April 29

Prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.—Rom. 12:2.

The Bible acknowledges that often “people of the nations that do not have law do by nature the things of the law.” (Rom. 2:14) But does this mean that as long as there is no clearly stated law from God, we can just follow the ways and standards that we are brought up with and that are common in our area? The Bible reminds us: “There exists a way that is upright before a man, but the ways of death are the end of it afterward.” (Prov. 16:25) Because of our imperfect nature, we humans do not have the full ability to determine what is truly beneficial for us to guide our steps perfectly. (Prov. 28:26; Jer. 10:23) Also, the Bible shows that trends and standards of the world are manipulated and controlled by none other than Satan, “the god of this system of things.” (2 Cor. 4:4; 1 John 5:19) Therefore, if we want Jehovah’s blessing and approval, we need to heed the admonition found in today’s text. w13 9/15 3:2, 3