JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2015

Perfunctory:

1. performed merely as a routine duty; hasty and superficial: perfunctory courtesy

2. lack interest, care, or enthusiasm; indifferent or apathetic: In his lectures he reveals himself to be merely a perfunctory speaker.

When I read the text this morning, I asked myself if I do my ministry in a "perfunctory" manner? I would like to say I don't. But do I...really? I really enjoy the ministry, am not so concerned with hours per se, though they are important it must be admitted. Would performing our ministry in a perfunctory manner be akin to the Israelites offering Jehovah sick, lame animals?

We all must, time to time, ask ourselves these questions and honestly answer them. I know I need to.

Edited by Luezette

Thursday, July 2

You are worthy, Jehovah, even our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power,

because you created all things.—Rev. 4:11.

For decades, Awake! magazine has helped millions to appreciate what creation reveals about our living God. In 2006, for example, the September issue was entitled “Is There a Creator?” It was devoted entirely to opening the eyes of those blinded by the doctrines of evolution and creationism. In recent years, most issues of Awake! have carried the feature “Was It Designed?” These brief articles highlight the awe-inspiring engineering evident in creation and identify ways that man has tried to copy the Master Designer. We received additional material to help bring glory to God with the release in 2010 of the brochure Was Life Created? The beautiful pictures and teaching diagrams in that publication are designed to stimulate our appreciation for Jehovah’s creative ability. w13 10/15 1:15, 16

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Friday, July 3

I shall give to peoples the change to a pure language.—Zeph. 3:9.

Parents, ask yourselves, ‘How well do my children speak the “pure language” of Scriptural truth? Does my children’s conversation reflect the influence of God’s spirit or that of the world?’ Your children are facing tremendous pressures to compromise. Therefore, patiently use your Family Worship sessions and other opportunities to help your children to develop a close relationship with Jehovah. (Deut. 6:6-9) Highlight the benefits of being different from Satan’s world. (John 17:15-17) And work to reach the heart. Ultimately, each child will make his or her own decision about serving God. Yet, there is much that parents can do. This includes setting a proper example, specifying clear boundaries, and discussing with your children the consequences of decisions. Parents, no one is in a better position than you are to prepare your children for making a dedication to Jehovah. w13 8/15 1:17, 18

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Sunday, July 5

God is not partial.—Acts 10:34.

In the Christian congregation, we express our desire to imitate Jehovah’s impartiality by treating all our brothers and sisters with dignity and loving-kindness. For instance, when it comes to showing hospitality, we want to invite all sorts of fellow believers, including those whose background differs from ours as well as those who are poor, orphaned, or widowed. (Gal. 2:10; Jas. 1:27) Further, in the Kingdom-preaching work, we share the good news impartially with people of all backgrounds, including those from foreign countries. How happy we are that we have access to Bible literature in some 600 languages. What a tangible proof of impartiality! Indeed, as we take time to reflect on how approachable and impartial Jehovah is, our appreciation for him deepens. Deepened appreciation, in turn, ought to move us to imitate Jehovah’s qualities to the full, demonstrating them in all our dealings. w13 6/15 1:12, 17, 18

This daily text just took me back to the city of Athens where the apostle Paul delivered A spirit filled lecture , a part of the inspired written record of that classic Lecture says " and he made out of one man every nation of men to dwell on the entire surface of the earth " Act 10:26 ,

oh , we are all from one man , then it makes no sense to discriminate either in the congregation or towards those we meet in our ministry . We have to be friendly to all

Monday, July 6

There exists a friend sticking closer than a brother.—Prov. 18:24.

When you accompany another Christian in the ministry, resist the urge to interrupt your partner when he or she is using an effective line of reasoning. Your unrestrained enthusiasm might discourage your partner and confuse the householder. At times, it may be appropriate to join in the discussion. But if you choose to say something, limit yourself to a brief comment or two. Then allow your partner to resume the lead. How can you and your partner assist each other while walking from door to door? Why not use the time to discuss ways that your presentation might be improved? Be careful that your comments about those living in your territory are not discouraging. Likewise, avoid the trap of harping on the negative traits of fellow evangelizers. We do well to remember that we are earthen vessels. Jehovah has shown us extraordinary kindness by entrusting us with the ministry of the good news.—2 Cor. 4:1, 7. w13 5/15 1:18, 19

I guess this is true.  I just rarely experience it.  I am usually just hoping someone will jump in and take over.  I tend to be more like the video of the brother they used during the RC.  He made 1914 so complicated and boring that the study's eyes just glazed over.  I need to stick to one simple thing for an illustration instead of using so many scriptures to prove a point.  I have so much to learn

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I guess this is true.  I just rarely experience it.  I am usually just hoping someone will jump in and take over.  I tend to be more like the video of the brother they used during the RC.  He made 1914 so complicated and boring that the study's eyes just glazed over.  I need to stick to one simple thing for an illustration instead of using so many scriptures to prove a point.  I have so much to learn

I loved that video, I thought he was doing a good job until my wife told me it was the 'wrong' way.  :D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Tuesday, July 7

This good news of the kingdom will be preached.—Matt. 24:14.

Why is a visible arrangement needed to accomplish this work? Consider three reasons. First, Jesus stated that this preaching work would take his disciples “to the most distant part of the earth.” (Acts 1:8) Second, arrangements would be needed to provide spiritual food and to care for those engaged in this work. (John 21:15-17) Third, provisions would have to be made so that those preaching the good news could gather together to worship Jehovah and be taught how to carry out the work. (Heb. 10:24, 25) Accomplishing these goals could not be done by accident. For Christ’s followers to be successful, the work would need to be well-organized. How do we demonstrate our support for the arrangements made by Jehovah’s organization? One way is by always putting our confidence in the ones whom Jehovah and Jesus are trusting to lead us in our preaching work. w13 4/15 3:9-11

I am encouraged by how this text reminds us that our service is a mutual partnership, as we engage in Jehovah's s work.

I was just thinking last week, that for one to take the lead, one must always be a good follower, as well.

I like the way the text points out that Service is a special "trust" that Jehovah has given us.  And how it directs us to handle that "trust".

Richard, I too thought at first that he was doing a really excellent job,  but then all the details!!!  It even began to bog my mind.   It really showed me how I tend to be that way too.  The wrong way. Trying to incorporate as many details as possible just to PROVE that this is the truth. That is why it is important for me to remember the motto "quench not drench".  Later a brother and I were talking and he said it was wonderful to have an abundance of proof.  But we did not need to use it all.  Just one scriptural truth or possibly aa second if the student still has questions, will be enough to convenience someone seeking the truth.  He also said that what works for one is not as easily grasped by all so another one to understand may be used.  This has calmed my worries about covering everything.

LeslieDean

Wednesday, July 8

Although all the others are stumbled in connection with you, I will never be stumbled!—Matt. 26:33.

Peter’s self-assurance was unfounded, for that very night he failed to show a spirit of self-sacrifice. In what amounted to an effort to protect himself, Peter disowned Jesus three times. (Matt. 26:69-75) Despite his struggles and failures, Peter’s life is a heartening example. With personal effort and the help of God’s holy spirit, Peter was able to overcome his misguided tendencies and display self-control and self-sacrificing love. (Gal. 5:22, 23) He endured trials that could be viewed as more severe than the ones he stumbled over earlier. He showed humility by how he reacted to a public rebuke from the apostle Paul. (Gal. 2:11-14) And after being rebuked, Peter did not hold a grudge, feeling that his status had been damaged by Paul’s reprimand. Peter continued to express love for Paul. (2 Pet. 3:15) Peter’s example can help us to cultivate a spirit of self-sacrifice. w14 3/15 1:14, 15

Thursday, July 9

Ride in the cause of truth and humility.—Ps. 45:4.

The Warrior-King, Jesus Christ, wages a righteous war with noble objectives. He rides “in the cause of truth and humility.” The greatest truth that must be defended is that of Jehovah’s universal sovereignty. Satan challenged the legitimacy of Jehovah’s rulership when he rebelled against Him. Since then, that fundamental truth has been disputed by both demons and humans. Now the time has come for Jehovah’s anointed King to ride forth to establish the truth of Jehovah’s sovereignty once and for all. The King also rides ‘in the cause of humility.’ As God’s only-begotten Son, he himself has provided a sterling example of humility and loyal subjection to his Father’s sovereignty. (Isa. 50:4, 5; John 5:19) All loyal subjects of the King must follow his example and humbly submit to Jehovah’s sovereignty in all things. Only those who do so will be allowed to live in God’s promised new world.—Zech. 14:16, 17. w14 2/15 1:11, 12

Isaiah 50:5 Cited in todays text " The sovereign Lord Jehovah has opened my ear, And I was not rebellious. I did not turn in the opposite direction," was fulfilled by Our Lord Jesus Christ because he humbly submit to Jehovahs will in all things UNLIKE Satan and his demons whom are rebellious .

This is a great example for us today . Do we imitate Jesus Christ in obeying Jehovah OR we are rebelious to Jehovahs instruction ?

When we are tempted to do things contrary to Jehovahs will , that is; tempted to go the opposite direction . We should remember Jesus example in Isaiah 50:5 and listen to Jehovah

For example: if am tempted to browse immoral sites , rather than follow that rebelious opposite direction , I WILL DO THINGS JEHOVAHS WAY IN SUCH MOMENT BY BROWSING JW.ORG , JWTALK.COM , BLOGS BY FAITHFUL BROTHERS AND SISTERS , SINGING TO JEHOVAH , PREPARING AHEAD FOR MEETINGS . VISIT JWLIBRARY ... Many beautiful things that will make our heavenly Father smile

It will be our duty, then, to respond to Jehovah's orders, and comply with the "Lamb", and honor his "holy ones".

If we are to be 'Jehovah's casualties', then we will enjoy an eternal heritage that we will remember with fondness, as we rise from the dust, into the promised new "land"; or accompany the Great Crowd, into our new Inheritance.

Loyalty, coupled with the cultivation of humility, will produce a fine soldier.

Friday, July 10

He prays hard for you all the time.—Col. 4:12, “The New English Bible.”

We do well to ask ourselves: ‘Do I pray hard for my brothers around the world? How often do my prayers include fellow believers who have suffered because of a natural disaster? When did I last exert myself in prayer for those shouldering heavy responsibility in Jehovah’s organization? Have I recently prayed for individuals in the congregation who are facing hardships?’ Our prayers to Jehovah God in behalf of others can truly help them. (2 Cor. 1:11) Although Jehovah is not obliged to act because a large number of his worshippers have made prayerful requests repeatedly, he notes their collective interest and takes into account their genuine and deep concern as he responds to their prayers. So we ought to take seriously our privilege and responsibility to pray in behalf of others. Doing so will add to our happiness, for “there is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving.”—Acts 20:35. w13 11/15 1:15, 16

This DB has truly taught me how to pray for my extended family all over the world! By name! Now when I hat of world headline news or diasters I SEE the different friends names in these various places and immediately think of them or can say a prayer on their behalf! This DB has made Jehovah's organization Real and Personal to me in a way that I had not experienced it before. Thanks everyone. And keep me in your prayers too!

LeslieDean

This DB has truly taught me how to pray for my extended family all over the world! By name! Now when I hat of world headline news or diasters I SEE the different friends names in these various places and immediately think of them or can say a prayer on their behalf! This DB has made Jehovah's organization Real and Personal to me in a way that I had not experienced it before. Thanks everyone. And keep me in your prayers too!

Nice Comment Sister , the moment I finished reading this Daily text ... I started thinking of the brothers and sisters whom I ought to be remembering in my prayers . Its a great reminder to let us know we need to put the " entire association of" our "brothers " ( 1pet 5:9b ) in our heart .

Friday, July 10

He prays hard for you all the time.—Col. 4:12, “The New English Bible.”

Although Jehovah is not obliged to act because a large number of his worshipers have made prayerful requests repeatedly, he notes their collective interest 

This is interesting, because I encounter those who appear to view God as an 'instant response mechanism', who reacts to displays of urgent request.  And who think that numbers increase the speed or power of that reaction.

But the balanced understanding offered to us- that Jehovah is not obliged to respond that way, but notes the collective interest of those who love him- reminds us to patiently rely on God in a dignified, graceful and realistic way.

And that seems to correspond with Jehovah's love and perfect balance. 

Saturday, July 11

Declare among the nations: “Jehovah has become King!”—1 Chron. 16:31.

Israel’s second human king, David, brought the sacred ark of the covenant to Jerusalem. During this joyous occasion, the Levites sang a song of praise that contained a noteworthy statement, as mentioned in today’s text. One might wonder, ‘Since Jehovah is the King of eternity, how is it that he became King at that time?’ Jehovah becomes King when he expresses his rulership or establishes an agency to represent him at a certain time or to deal with a specific situation. This aspect of Jehovah’s kingship has far-reaching significance. Before David died, Jehovah promised him that his kingship would continue indefinitely: “I will raise up your offspring after you, your own son, and I will firmly establish his kingdom.” (2 Sam. 7:12, 13) This “offspring” of David, Jesus the Messiah, appeared more than 1,000 years later. w14 1/15 1:13, 1

Sunday, July 12

Practice carrying out the kingly law according to the scripture:

“You must love your neighbor as yourself.”—Jas. 2:8.

The Christian Greek Scriptures are replete with reminders for us to show love for one another. Jesus said that the second greatest commandment is to “love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matt. 22:39) The apostle John wrote: “Beloved ones, I am writing you, not a new commandment, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning.” (1 John 2:7, 8) To what was John referring as the “old commandment”? He was referring to the command to love. It was “old” in the sense that Jesus had given it decades earlier, “from the beginning.” But it was also “new” in that it called for self-sacrificing love, which the disciples might need as they faced new circumstances. As disciples of Christ, do we not appreciate warnings that help us to guard against developing the selfish spirit so characteristic of this world, which can erode our love of neighbor? w13 9/15 1:14

Monday, July 13

The thing proved to be very displeasing to Abraham as regards his son.—Gen. 21:11.

Even the happiest marriages are not perfect unions, and a loving couple may not always see eye to eye. Abraham and Sarah did not always agree with each other. (Gen. 21:9, 10) Yet, their differences did not drive a wedge between them. Why not? They treated each other with dignity and respect. For instance, Abraham said “please” to Sarah. (Gen. 12:11, 13) She, on the other hand, obeyed Abraham and thought of him as her “lord.” (Gen. 18:12) When a couple lack respect for each other, this usually becomes evident in their pattern of speech or tone of voice. (Prov. 12:18) If they do not address the underlying problem, their marriage may be headed for tragedy. (Jas. 3:7-10, 17, 18) Newlyweds should work especially hard to speak kindly and respectfully to each other, thus creating an atmosphere of free and honest communication. w13 5/15 3:11, 12