JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2015

The principle of respect may be applied in every human relationship. We may disagree, but should exercise self-control and show respect and obey those having authority over us. Those having authority should say please and be humble towards those whom they are directing. Grandson and I discussed this morning.

Tuesday, July 14

[God’s] will is that all sorts of men should be saved.—1 Tim. 2:4.

The deeper we get into the time of the end, the greater our need to rely on Jehovah’s Word. The counsel we draw from it helps us to correct bad habits and to control our sinful tendencies. With its encouragement and comfort, we will pass the tests that Satan and his world bring on us. With the guidance Jehovah provides in his Word, we will stay on the road to life. God’s will is that “all sorts of men should be saved.” Jehovah’s servants are among “all sorts of men.” So are those whom we might help through our preaching and teaching work. But all who wish to attain to salvation must gain “an accurate knowledge of truth.” Thus, surviving the last days goes hand in glove with reading the Bible and applying its inspired instructions. Yes, our daily Bible reading shows how highly we esteem Jehovah’s precious Word of truth.—John 17:17. w13 4/15 1:19, 20

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Wednesday, July 15

You must show honor to an older man.—Lev. 19:32.

Jehovah never intended for humans to suffer the debilitating effects of aging. On the contrary, his purpose was that men and women enjoy perfect health in Paradise. But now “all creation keeps on groaning together and being in pain.” (Rom. 8:22) How do you think God must feel when he observes the ravages of sin in humans? Moreover, many elderly ones experience neglect at a time in their lives when they need more assistance. (Ps. 39:5; 2 Tim. 3:3) Jehovah’s people are grateful that there are elderly ones in the congregations. We benefit from their wisdom and are inspired by their example of faith. Whether we are related to elderly brothers and sisters or not, we take an interest in their welfare. (Gal. 6:10; 1 Pet. 1:22) Yes, honoring the older ones in the congregation was a serious responsibility when the words of today’s text were written, and it is down to this day. w14 3/15 3:1, 2, 5

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Jehovah’s people are grateful that there are elderly ones in the congregations. We benefit from their wisdom and are inspired by their example of faith. Whether we are related to elderly brothers and sisters or not, we take an interest in their welfare. 

I love this... :wub: it is so much different than in a typical setting where the elderly ones are ignored  or abused...  :angry:

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage:

Thursday, July 16

I bend my knees to the Father, to whom every family in heaven and on earth owes its name.

—Eph. 3:14, 15.

All of us have certain things in common. We suffer the consequences of Adam’s disobedience and have inherited imperfection, sin, and death. (Rom. 5:12) Even so, as true worshippers, we can rightly address Jehovah as “our Father.” Referring to God’s chosen people of ancient times, Isaiah 64:8 states: “O Jehovah, you are our Father.” Moreover, Jesus opened his model prayer with the words: “Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.” (Matt. 6:9) Our heavenly Father provides the care and protection we need as a people calling on his name in faith. The psalmist quotes him as saying: “Because he [a true worshipper] has affection for me, I will rescue him. I will protect him because he knows my name.” (Ps. 91:14) Yes, Jehovah God lovingly provides escape from our enemies and protects us as his people, so that we are not wiped out. w14 2/15 3:1, 3, 4

Friday, July 17

Remember . . . your Grand Creator in the days of your youth.—Eccl. 12:1.

Youth is a fine time to start serving Jehovah fully. What would you like to do for Jehovah during your youth? Perhaps your goal is to be a pioneer. You may want to work in a foreign-language territory. Or perhaps you see ways to serve more fully in your present congregation. Whatever your goal in God’s service, you will need a way to earn a living. How much training will you need? What will you choose? No doubt your school counselors know something about the local job market. Or there may be a government agency that can tell you what work is in demand locally or where you hope to serve. Information from secular sources can be helpful—but beware. People who do not love Jehovah may try to plant love for the world in your heart. (1 John 2:15-17) When you look at what the world offers, your heart can easily deceive you.—Prov. 14:15; Jer. 17:9. w14 1/15 3:13, 14

Saturday, July 18

[Hezekiah] decided . . . to stop up the waters of the springs.—2 Chron. 32:3.

What Hezekiah did next was of even greater value than stopping up the waters or fortifying the city walls. (2 Chron. 32:5) Concerned shepherd that he was, Hezekiah gathered the people and encouraged them spiritually with the words: “Do not be afraid nor be terrified because of the king of Assyria . . . , for with us there are more than there are with him. With him there is an arm of flesh, but with us there is Jehovah our God to help us and to fight our battles.” What a faith-strengthening reminder—Jehovah would fight for his people! Upon hearing this, the Jews “began to brace themselves upon the words of Hezekiah the king of Judah.” Notice that it was “the words of Hezekiah” that caused the people to take heart. He and his princes and mighty men, as well as the prophets Micah and Isaiah, proved to be effective shepherds, just as Jehovah had foretold.—2 Chron. 32:7, 8; Mic. 5:5, 6. w13 11/15 3:12, 13

Sunday, July 19

Be transformed by making your mind over.—Rom. 12:2.

The “mind” relates to our thinking faculties. But as used in the Bible, it includes our mental inclination, attitude, and power of reason. Earlier in his letter to the Romans, Paul described people who reflected “a disapproved mental state.” Such ones were given to “unrighteousness, wickedness, covetousness, badness, being full of envy, murder, strife, deceit,” and other hurtful things. (Rom. 1:28-31) Sadly, we are surrounded by people in the world who fit Paul’s description. For us not to be fashioned, or molded, by the world any longer, we need to make an honest appraisal of our innermost attitudes and feelings, our goals, and our values. Such things may be hidden from public view. Others may tell us that we are doing well. Yet, we alone know if we really have allowed what we have learned from the Bible to transform us in these critical areas.—Jas. 1:23-25. w13 9/15 3:11-13

On a more serious note, this scriptural thought relates to my post lacking in the fruiage of the spirit. There are times under extreme duress and sometimes just outright frustration I snap. Now there was a beautiful illustration that a Christian must be like an orange. If you squeeze it, smash it, cook it, etc all that comes from it is orange juice, yet sometimes when I am squeezed by life's pressures I give off sulfuric acid......poison to those around me and to me too! So obviously my self appraisal tells me I need work in this area :(

On a more serious note, this scriptural thought relates to my post lacking in the fruiage of the spirit. There are times under extreme duress and sometimes just outright frustration I snap. Now there was a beautiful illustration that a Christian must be like an orange. If you squeeze it, smash it, cook it, etc all that comes from it is orange juice, yet sometimes when I am squeezed by life's pressures I give off sulfuric acid......poison to those around me and to me too! So obviously my self appraisal tells me I need work in this area :(

Such is life in this demonic world. We all should be so honest in appraising ourselves. Keep up the fight...knowing that "there are more who are with us", than with him(satan).

Psalms 51:6 "In the secret self...may you cause me to know sheer wisdom"

I have been reading the book "Live With Jehovah's Day in Mind" and it has helped me so much to make a self examination of my personality flaws. I don't know how I missed reading it when I first got it. Really enjoying it.

Monday, July 20

Support the weak.—1 Thess. 5:14.

“Depressed souls” are weak, in a sense, and so are discouraged ones. Proverbs 24:10 says: “Have you shown yourself discouraged in the day of distress? Your power will be scanty.” The words of a deeply discouraged person may become “wild talk.” (Job 6:2, 3) In dealing with such ones, we need to keep in mind that what they say may not be a true reflection of what they really are at heart. Rachelle, whose mother became severely depressed, learned this from personal experience. Rachelle says: “Many times Mom would say something very hateful. Most of these times, I tried to remind myself of the kind of person Mom really is—loving, kind, and generous. I learned that depressed people say many things they do not mean. The worst thing that one can do is to return evil words or actions.” Proverbs 19:11 states: “The insight of a man certainly slows down his anger, and it is beauty on his part to pass over transgression.” w13 8/15 3:7

I thought of so many when I read this, including myself. I'm suffering from severe depression & I do my best study & maintain a good spiritual routine. It includes learning the new songs. They're so heartfelt & encouraging. It helps me to know that I'm not alone & Jehovah knows we are all suffering from at least 1 affliction (that is we are all born sinful).

Today's text reminded me of song # 91 "My father, My God & Friend"

Life in this world can be hard. Life in this world can bring tears & pain. Still every day I will say, "My life is not in vain."

Tuesday, July 21

His enemy came and oversowed weeds in among the wheat.—Matt. 13:25.

Jesus warned that a newly planted field of wheat (anointed Christians) would be oversown with weeds (imitation Christians). The groups, he said, would be allowed to grow side by side—undisturbed until the harvest, which would come at “a conclusion of a system of things.” (Matt. 13:24-30, 36-43) It was not long before Jesus’ words began to come true. The apostasy made some inroads in the first century, but Jesus’ faithful apostles acted “as a restraint,” holding back the contamination and influence of false teachings. (2 Thess. 2:3, 6, 7) However, once the last of the apostles died, the apostasy took root and flourished during a long growing season that lasted for many centuries. Additionally, during that time, the weeds became many and the blades of wheat were few. There was no consistent, organized channel for dispensing spiritual food. However, that would eventually change. w13 7/15 3:13, 14

I love our writing staff!  The very last sentence leaves my heart racing and wanting to know more.  Even though I already know what comes next it is like watching a really good movie!  It keeps you hanging on and anxious to see the next part.  You see something else every time you watch it.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I love our writing staff!  The very last sentence leaves my heart racing and wanting to know more.  Even though I already know what comes next it is like watching a really good movie!  It keeps you hanging on and anxious to see the next part.  You see something else every time you watch it.

Wow sister i love how you think!

paradise.eternity.glory

I know this is off topic... I'm anxious to tell all those who are resurrected what happened. Normally it would be spoiling the movie however, in this case I know everyone would like to know the ending!

Just think what an epic movie this will make!  Every single person can contribute from their own experience.  all will have a unique insight as to their own personal circumstance.  I even think about all the tv shows, plays, books  that can be written about what occurred after Jesus left the earth and countless more things to learn about before and during his time here.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Wednesday, July 22

You, O Jehovah, are good and ready to forgive.—Ps. 86:5.

How does Jehovah demonstrate forgiveness? When Jehovah forgives, he does so “in a large way”; he forgives both completely and permanently. (Isa. 55:7) How do we know that Jehovah forgives completely? Consider the assurance found at Acts 3:19. There the apostle Peter urged his listeners to “repent . . . and turn around.” When a sinner genuinely repents, he deeply regrets his wrong course. He is also determined not to repeat his sin. (2 Cor. 7:10, 11) Moreover, true repentance moves a sinner to “turn around,” abandoning his wrong course and pursuing a course that is pleasing to God. If Peter’s listeners would manifest such genuine repentance, what would be the result? Peter said that they could get their sins “blotted out.” That expression comes from a Greek word that means to “wipe out, erase.” So when Jehovah forgives, he wipes the slate clean. He forgives completely.—Heb. 10:22; 1 John 1:7. w13 6/15 3:11, 12

Thursday, July 23

By means of your seed all nations of the earth will certainly bless themselves.—Gen. 26:4.

That promise revealed that the Messiah—the faithful “seed” of Genesis 3:15—would come through Abraham’s offspring. As Isaac’s firstborn son, Esau had the legal right to that promise. One day when Esau came in from the field, he saw Jacob “boiling up some stew.” “Quick, please,” said Esau, “give me a swallow of the red—the red there, for I am tired!” In reply, Jacob told Esau: “Sell me, first of all, your right as firstborn!” What choice did Esau make? Incredibly, he said: “Of what benefit to me is a birthright?” Yes, Esau chose a bowl of stew over his right as firstborn! To make the birthright transaction legal, Jacob insisted: “Swear to me first of all!” Without hesitation, Esau gave up his birthright. After that, “Jacob gave Esau bread and lentil stew, and he went to eating and drinking. Then he got up and went his way. So Esau despised the birthright.”—Gen. 25:29-34. w13 5/15 5:7, 8

I thought it was interesting that Jehovah did not doom Esau or treat him badly, he simply disqualified him from receiving a particular blessing.

Prior to being in the truth, I would read this account, and it seemed unfair.  But that is because I was originally taught the concept that God does what he chooses, and humans have to like it.

...rather than learning about 'why' Jehovah does things, and balancing the realities with perceived injustices.

Jehovah still loved Esau, but Esau needed to readjust to the new situation.

Eventually, these losses will not even be important.  All righteous humans will serve happily together.  And enjoy life, dignity and future.

Meanwhile, we can mature in learning to appreciate Jehovah's blessings of service, not treat them lightly.