JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2015

When we discussed this day's text it reminded us of a Watchtower article we had last year, and we discussed new developments we'd noticed since then.

One example is the current movie "Kingsman" that just came out on DVD. Apart from a pathetically coarse sex joke at the end, this attempt at making a Bond style movie can be said to contain the most violent and disturbing scene ever shot for the wider public. It makes Quentin Tarantino's sickest piece of work pale in comparison. In the scene, one of the main protagonists - after exclaiming "Hail Satan" before leaving the church - is manipulated by brain waves inducing a general mass brawl within the church, where he shoots, axes, stabs, impales, torches and beats dozens of church-goers until he is the last man standing. (on another note, as I learnt in retrospect, this scene caused a stir and correctly raised the question whether the public would have found this scene so amusing and artsy if it had been a black church community he had shot up... only months later, this is precisely what happened in Charleston). The violence is not hinted at but perversely graphic. When we watched that scene I remember telling my wife that this is clearly the most brutal, violent and disconcerting scene I ever saw in a film. Recalling all the ruckus that was made about films such as Jurassic Park back in the day....... it is unsettling to see what point of acceptability this world has reached. This scene is not considered "siiiiick... but eerily fascinating..." as it might have been considered ten years ago, if you read the comments of viewers online the scene is called a "work of art" and "the most awesome use of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird ever in a movie".

Another thing that we clearly could distinguish is the way sexually insinuating remarks and flirting have become more and more common at the workplace in Germany. I would even go so far as to say that Germany, at least where I've worked, has an extreme problem with people keeping their urges under control at work. Sexual harrassment is not considered sexual harassment as it would be the case in the USA. For the sake of harmony, victims of such harrassment will often pretend not to have noticed. Often enough, it goes back and forth, meaning consentual.

Interestingly, there are now discussions about whether a law within military ranks in Germany is still up-to-date with our modern values, namely the law that prohibits a soldier from having an affair with the wife / spouse of a fellow soldier. This used to be considered a breach of duty and led to court-martialing and dishonorable discharge. Today, people feel like there's no way a law can stop the force of love! Hence, this rule is being called into question. Many reservists are disgusted about the fact that this rule they attribute a certain sanctity to is being called into question, since they feel there is a special obligation to protect the marriage of the guy covering your butt at the frontline.

No! Nothing is holy anymore! We will have humorous church mass murder scenes in movies easily available to teenagers, we will have nobody restricting anybody from carrying out adultery a.k.a "free love", and we will have a statue dedicated to Satan. Murdering unborn children is no longer good enough, they even have to make a profit on their organs and tissue on the black market.

Yup. A lot is happening lately.

Thursday, August 27

Two days from now the passover occurs, and the Son of man

is to be delivered up to be impaled.—Matt. 26:2.

On Nisan 13, 33 C.E., as the day drew near ‘on which the passover victim was to be sacrificed,’ Christ told Peter and John: “Go and get the passover ready for us to eat.” (Luke 22:7, 8) “At length . . . the hour came” for the Passover meal, after sunset on Nisan 14, which would be Thursday evening. Jesus ate that meal with his apostles, and then he instituted the Lord’s Evening Meal. (Luke 22:14, 15) That night he was arrested and tried. Jesus was impaled close to noon on Nisan 14, and that afternoon he died. (John 19:14) Thus, “Christ our passover [was] sacrificed” on the same day as the Passover lamb was slaughtered. (1 Cor. 5:7; 11:23) As the end of that Jewish day approached, Jesus was buried—before the start of Nisan 15.—Lev. 23:5-7; Luke 23:54w13 12/15 3:11

Edited by GrumpysWife

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Friday, August 28

The kings of the nations lord it over them, and those having authority over them are called Benefactors.

You, though, are not to be that way.—Luke 22:25, 26.

Because of human imperfection, some of God’s sheep may be slow to understand what Jehovah expects of them. They may fail to take action that is in harmony with Scriptural counsel, or they may act in a way that indicates a lack of spiritual maturity. How are the elders to react? They should imitate Jesus’ patience with his disciples when they were preoccupied with the question of who among them would become the greatest in the Kingdom. Instead of losing patience with them, Jesus continued to teach his disciples and to give them loving counsel about manifesting humility. (Luke 9:46-48) By washing their feet, Jesus provided an object lesson in humility, a quality that Christian overseers need to display.—John 13:12-15; 1 Pet. 2:21. w13 11/15 5:8

Edited by GrumpysWife

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Saturday, August 29

They lacked nothing. Their very garments did not wear out,

and their feet themselves did not become swollen.—Neh. 9:21.

Today, Jehovah provides us with everything we need to serve him faithfully. May we never be like the thousands of Israelites who died in the wilderness because of their disobedience and lack of faith. In fact, those things “were written for a warning to us upon whom the ends of the systems of things have arrived.” (1 Cor. 10:1-11) Sadly, after inheriting the Promised Land, the Israelites adopted the sensuous, murderous worship of Canaanite gods. So Jehovah allowed neighboring nations to oppress his chosen nation. When they repented, Jehovah mercifully forgave them and saved them from their enemies. “Time and again” this happened. (Neh. 9:26-28, 31) “You . . . kept bearing witness against them by your spirit by means of your prophets, and they did not give ear. Finally you gave them into the hand of the peoples of the lands.”—Neh. 9:30w13 10/15 3:14, 15

Edited by GrumpysWife

Sunday, August 30

He that is walking with wise persons will become wise.—Prov. 13:20.

Working alongside good associates in the ministry builds us up spiritually. For example, most pioneers spend considerable time in the ministry with fellow evangelizers. This provides more opportunities for “an interchange of encouragement.” (Rom. 1:12; Prov. 27:17) A pioneer named Lisa observes: “In the workplace, there is often a spirit of competition and jealousy. Daily you are subjected to gossip and vulgar language. It’s all about getting ahead at any cost. At times, you are ridiculed or mocked because of your Christian conduct. However, working in the ministry with fellow Christians is truly upbuilding. At the end of the day, I come home refreshed, no matter how tired I am.” Yes, pioneers have often found that as they expend themselves in Jehovah’s service and pursue intimacy with him, they are ‘overtaken’ by a seemingly endless stream of blessings.—Deut. 28:2w13 9/15 5:8,11

Edited by GrumpysWife

Monday, August 31

Love, not in word or with the tongue, but in deed and truth.—1 John 3:18.

It can be heart-wrenching to realize that your parents, once strong and self-sufficient, are no longer able to look after themselves. Perhaps Mom or Dad has fallen and broken a hip, has become disoriented and wandered off, or has been diagnosed with a serious medical condition. Then there is the other side of the coin. The elderly may find it hard to accept that physical changes or other circumstances now limit their independence. (Job 14:1) What can be done? How can they be looked after? One article on care for the elderly states: “While it is difficult to discuss the issues of aging, the family who has discussed the options and agreed on plans will be better able to handle whatever happens.” The value of such a discussion is best appreciated when we acknowledge that trials that come with age cannot be avoided. Still, we can make certain preparations and advance decisions. w14 3/15 4:1, 2

Edited by GrumpysWife

Tuesday, September 1

It is the foolishness of an earthling man that distorts his way, and so

his heart becomes enraged against Jehovah himself.—Prov. 19:3.

Is it really possible that we could become “enraged against Jehovah”? Surely to do so would be futile. (Isa. 41:11) What would we hope to gain? A poet once said: “Your arm’s too short to box with God.” We may never go so far as to vocalize a complaint against Jehovah. But today’s text says that a man’s foolishness “distorts his way, and so his heart becomes enraged against Jehovah himself.” Yes, a person can become enraged against God in his heart. This attitude could manifest itself in subtle ways. An individual could, as it were, hold a grudge against Jehovah. As a result, that person might withdraw from the congregation or not fully support arrangements for Jehovah’s worship. How can we avoid that trap? It is vital that we know, for our very relationship with Jehovah God is involved! w13 8/15 2:4, 5

Edited by GrumpysWife

Wednesday, September 2

I am sending my messenger, and he must clear up a way before me.—Mal. 3:1.

John the Baptizer was the ‘messenger who cleared up the way.’ (Matt. 11:10, 11) When he came in 29 C.E., a time of judgment for the nation of Israel had drawn close. Jesus was the second messenger. He cleansed the temple in Jerusalem twice. (Matt. 21:12, 13; John 2:14-17) What is the larger fulfillment of Malachi’s prophecy? During the decades leading up to 1914, C. T. Russell and his close associates did a work like that of John the Baptizer. That vital work involved restoring Bible truths. The Bible Students taught the true meaning of Christ’s ransom sacrifice, exposed the hellfire lie, and proclaimed the coming end of the Gentile Times. Still, there were numerous religious groups who claimed to be Christ’s followers. So a crucial question needed to be answered: Who among those groups were the wheat mentioned in Jesus’ parable? (Matt. 13:24-30, 37-43) To settle that question, Jesus began to inspect the spiritual temple in 1914. w13 7/15 2:5, 6

Edited by GrumpysWife

From this same article we realize that Jesus meant business.

In late 1914, some Bible Students were disheartened because they had not gone to heaven. During 1915 and 1916, opposition from outside the organization slowed down the preaching work. Worse, after Brother Russell’s death in October 1916, opposition arose from inside the organization. Four of the seven directors of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society rebelled against the decision to have Brother Rutherford take the lead. They tried to cause division among the brothers, but in August 1917, they left Bethel—a cleansing indeed! Also, some Bible Students gave in to the fear of man. Still, as a whole they willingly responded to Jesus’ cleansing work and made the needed changes. Hence, Jesus judged them to be true Christian wheat, but he rejected all imitation Christians, including all of those found within the churches of Christendom. (Mal. 3:5; 2 Tim. 2:19)

Thursday, September 3

A young man I used to be, I have also grown old, and yet I have not seen anyone righteous left entirely, nor his offspring looking for bread.—Ps. 37:25.

Jehovah especially delights in providing for the needs of his faithful worshippers. Many faithful Christians have experienced such evidence of Jehovah’s care. For example, some years ago, a full-time minister named Nancy found herself in a predicament. “I needed $66 to pay my rent, which was due the next day,” Nancy recalls. “I didn’t know how I was going to come up with the money. I prayed about the problem, and then I went to my job as a waitress. I didn’t expect to receive many tips that evening because it was a time of the week that was typically not very busy. To my surprise, several customers came to the restaurant that night. When I finished my shift and added up the tips I had received, the total was $66.” Nancy is convinced that Jehovah provided exactly what she needed.—Matt. 6:33.w13 6/15 2:6, 7

Edited by GrumpysWife

I have experienced this many times in my life. I think that as you grow in your appreciation, love, and trust in our loving God, Jehovah, that the things that Satan's system think are important fall by the wayside. Jehovah takes such loving care of his people, something I am sure all of us have experienced in some way or another. Reminds me of the trust exercises corporations have ppl do of falling backward to trust that they will catch you. You show trust and faith in someone you can see, we need to ask ourselves is our faith in Jehovah such that we will do the same in our lives, is He that real to us. I am sure we all do!

Friday, September 4

The very zeal of Jehovah of armies will do this.—Isa. 9:7.

Those words refer to what the rulership of God’s Son will accomplish. They emphasize our heavenly Father’s active interest in the salvation of mankind. Jehovah’s example of zeal clearly indicates that our God-given work as Kingdom proclaimers deserves our wholehearted support, our enthusiasm, our zeal. Our burning desire to help people get to know God is a reflection of Jehovah’s zeal. As God’s fellow workers, then, are we personally determined to have the fullest share in proclaiming the good news that our circumstances will permit? (1 Cor. 3:9) Consider, too, Jesus’ zeal. He set a perfect example of zealous perseverance in the ministry. Despite bitter opposition, he maintained his zeal for the preaching work right to the painful end of his earthly life. (John 18:36, 37) As the time for his sacrificial death drew near, Jesus’ determination to help others come to know Jehovah intensified. w13 5/15 2:3, 4

Edited by GrumpysWife

Saturday, September 5

Let us not give up in doing what is fine, for in due season

we shall reap if we do not tire out.Gal. 6:9.

Do we periodically take the time to reflect on the workings of Jehovah’s organization? Some have chosen to include time in their family worship or personal study to do research on these matters and to meditate on them. The book Jehovah’s Witnesses—Proclaimers of God’s Kingdom and other publications or DVDs available in your language provide intriguing insight into the organization. Meditating on what Jehovah is accomplishing through his organization is good for us. Along with this wonderful organization, may we be resolved to keep focused on the more important things. Doing so will fortify us to have the same determination as Paul, who wrote: “Since we have this ministry according to the mercy that was shown us, we do not give up.”—2 Cor. 4:1w13 4/15 3:16, 17

Edited by GrumpysWife

This is a reminder that it isn't that one has at one time accepted the truth...it is that one has to endure in it, and Jehovah sees that and recognizes it. 

Standing fast, growing in spirituality, persisting in prayer, taking a stand with conduct, loving and forgiving our brothers.  Not giving up!

Sunday, September 6 

The armies in heaven were following him on white horses.—Rev. 19:14.

Who will be Christ’s fellow warriors making up the heavenly “armies” that follow him into battle? When he first girded on his sword to expel Satan and his demons from heaven, Jesus was accompanied by “his angels.” (Rev. 12:7-9) It seems logical to conclude that at the war of Armageddon, Christ’s armies will include the holy angels. Also, Jesus made this promise to his anointed brothers: “To the one who conquers and observes my deeds down to the end, I will give authority over the nations, and he will shepherd the people with an iron rod so that they will be broken to pieces like clay vessels, just as I have received from my Father.” (Rev. 2:26, 27) So Christ’s heavenly armies will also include his anointed brothers, who by then will have received their heavenly reward. They will be at his side when he accomplishes “awe-inspiring things” while shepherding the nations with an iron rod.—Ps. 45:4w14 2/15 1:15, 16

Edited by GrumpysWife

Monday, September 7

There is no righteous man on earth who always does good and never sins.—Eccl. 7:20.

When we look carefully at ourselves in the mirror of God’s Word and see flaws, even evidences of selfishness, we might become discouraged. If that ever happens to you, reflect on the successful man in James’ illustration. James did not stress how quickly the man fixed the problems he detected or even that he was able to correct every blemish; rather, James says that the man ‘continued in the perfect law.’ (Jas. 1:22-25) He remembered what he saw in the mirror and kept working to improve. Yes, keep a positive view of yourself and a balanced view of your imperfections. Continue to peer into the perfect law, and work to maintain your spirit of self-sacrifice. Jehovah is willing to help you, as he has helped so many of your brothers who, although imperfect, can and do have God’s favor and blessing. w143/15 1:19

Edited by GrumpysWife