JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2015

I just watched the Faith in Action videos. Part one shows that in the middle of all the turmoil, the brothers are put in jail and Brooklyn Bethel is closed, operations are moved back to Pittsburgh. That would have been a time of uncertainty. One might wonder where was Jehovah's direction? Must have been similar when Jesus was arrested and executed.

A point I forgot, usually those who engage in negative talk do not have Jehovah's spirit. So when individuals or groups engage in critical talk, they usually don't offer anything positive. They say JW's are not correct but don't offer another way to worship God or help others to worship God. So they leave a person with no way to express their faith and no hope for the future.

I just watched the Faith in Action videos. Part one shows that in the middle of all the turmoil, the brothers are put in jail and Brooklyn Bethel is closed, operations are moved back to Pittsburgh. That would have been a time of uncertainty. One might wonder where was Jehovah's direction? Must have been similar when Jesus was arrested and executed.

Also similar to the way some felt when they heard about the recent changes at Bethel, no doubt some will feel this way in the near future when Satan turns up the heat on the FDS. I love the videos, they are great reminder of what to expect and how it will turn out.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Tuesday, October 6

If . . . it produces fruit in the future, well and good;

but if not, you shall cut it down.—Luke 13:9.

Jesus used the approximately six months he had remaining to intensify his preaching activity in Judea and Perea. In view of how deep we are in the time of the end, is it not vital to intensify our preaching efforts? (Dan. 2:41-45) What a wonderful privilege it is to be Jehovah’s Witnesses! We are the only people on earth who offer hope of real solutions to mankind’s problems. A newspaper columnist recently described as unanswerable the question, “Why do bad things happen to good people?” It is our Christian duty and privilege to share the Bible’s answers to such questions with all those willing to listen. We have every reason to be “aglow with the spirit” as we carry out our divine commission. (Rom. 12:11) With God’s blessing, our zealous evangelizing can help others come to know and love Jehovah. w13 5/15 2:5, 6

Edited by GrumpysWife

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

It is indeed a privilege to be one of the few Jehovah has called to his fold. Therefore to choose not to be be "aglow with the spirit" as Rom 12:11 admonishes us would be willful neglect of our christian duty. 

Further the word translated “aglow” at Rom 12:2 literally means “boiling.” (Kingdom Interlinear) To keep a kettle of water boiling, we need a steady supply of heat. Similarly, to “be aglow with the spirit,” we need a constant flow of God’s spirit. The way to have that is to use all the provisions that Jehovah makes to fortify us spiritually and the ministry is among such provisions.

So this duty we have as true christains  also fortifies our own spirituality hence the need to be zealous evangelizers as the text encourages us.

Looking at the reference article, commenting on Luke 13:6-9, the tree had not produced fruit for 3 years, so it was to be cut down. But the vine dresser requested time to fertilize the tree. So he had not given up, and his heartfelt attitude was to give it all he could. This system has been judged and is going to be cut down. Instead of feeling "Well Jehovah will see to it that righteously-disposed will be saved", I should in a heartfelt way fertilize, and try to help others. Not only does this please Jehovah, and help others, but I think it really helps a person to stay balanced, emotionally stable, and happier.

Wednesday, October 7

We do not give up.—2 Cor. 4:16.

Jehovah wants us to be happy, and he pours out on us many blessings that should lead to happiness. Jehovah assures us of his love and helps us to endure in our service to him. (Jer. 31:3) However, some faithful servants of God struggle with negative thoughts about themselves. They may feel that neither they nor their service to Jehovah has much value to him. For those with persistent negative feelings, the idea of enjoying “many years” could seem to be a fantasy. Life might appear to be a series of dark days. (Eccl. 11:8) For such brothers or sisters, negative feelings may be triggered by disappointments, illness, or some indication of the limitations of old age. (Ps. 71:9; Prov. 13:12; Eccl. 7:7) Moreover, every Christian must face the reality that the heart is treacherous and may condemn us even though God may be pleased with us.—Jer. 17:9; 1 John 3:20w14 3/15 2:1-3

Edited by GrumpysWife

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I took several minutes to search for a well known experience in the WT Library.  I found it, and then the question online was deleted.  But I want to share it with someone, so since this applies well to the text, here it is....

*** w81 5/15 p. 12 The House-to-House Challenge ***
HE WAS one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in his mid-70’s. As he went from door to door he hobbled quite a bit; but no wonder, for he was getting around on two wooden legs. Upon his knocking on one door, a woman came out. Pointing a finger at him, she asked in an angry tone of voice: ‘Are you one of Jehovah’s Witnesses?’
He paused for a moment and then, looking the woman straight in the eye, said: ‘I tell you, ma’am, I try to be. It isn’t easy. I’m working at it. It’s a difficult assignment. Can you imagine what it means to be a witness of the Most High, Jehovah, the Sovereign of the universe? That’s a real assignment. I’ll tell you, ma’am, I’m working at it.’
What did the woman say in reply? Not a word. What could she say?

Thursday, October 8

[Buyout the opportune time for yourselves,

because the days are wicked.—Eph. 5:16.

Today, during the little time that parents and children are together, communication competes with and often loses out to computers, television, and other electronic media. Can you ‘buy out’ time from other things so as to spend more of it with your family? Some families agree to limit television viewing or computer use. Others strive to have at least one meal together each day. And what a fine opportunity the arrangement of family worship offers for parents and children to draw close to one another and discuss spiritual matters calmly! Setting aside an hour or so a week for this purpose is a good start, but more is needed to open the door to deep conversation. For that, regular and frequent communication is a must. Before your young one heads out for school, say something encouraging, discuss the daily text, or offer a prayer with your child. Doing so can make a great difference in his or her day. w13 5/15 4:4, 5

Edited by GrumpysWife

Friday, October 9

You must be holy, because I am holy.—1 Pet. 1:16.

To be part of Jehovah’s universal family, we must be clean, or holy. We must keep free from any contamination by false religion or the politics of this world. The “faithful and discreet slave,” appointed by Jesus, provides a regular supply of wholesome spiritual food to all who make up the “one flock” under Jesus’ care. (Matt. 24:45-47; John 10:16) Since 1919, a small group of anointed brothers have loyally carried out the weighty responsibility to feed the “domestics.” The abundant spiritual food provided through this channel nourishes us so that we can grow in the faith. It fortifies our resolve to remain spiritually, morally, mentally, and physically clean. This spiritual food also educates us and equips us to have a full share in the most important work being done on earth today. Are you taking full advantage of these provisions? w14 1/15 2:5, 6

Edited by GrumpysWife

Saturday, October 10

Your arrows . . . pierce the hearts of the king’s enemies.

Ps. 45:5.

The King is mounted on a white horse, representing warfare that is clean and righteous in Jehovah’s eyes. (Rev. 6:2;19:11) In addition to a sword, he is equipped with a bow. We read: “I saw, and look! a white horse, and the one seated on it had a bow; and a crown was given him, and he went out conquering and to complete his conquest.” Both the sword and the bow represent the means that Christ will use to execute judgment on his enemies. In poetic language, the psalmist prophesies that the King’s ‘arrows are sharp, piercing the hearts of his enemies’ and ‘making peoples fall before him.’ The carnage will be earth wide. (Jer. 25:33) After destroying Satan’s wicked system of things on earth, Christ ‘in his splendor’ will “go on to victory.” (Ps. 45:4) He will complete his conquest by abyssing Satan and his demons for the full length of the Thousand Year Reign.—Rev. 20:2, 3w14 2/15 1:17-19

Edited by GrumpysWife

Sunday, October 11

The reminder of Jehovah is trustworthy, making the inexperienced one wise.—Ps. 19:7.

Today, we have ample reasons for putting trust in Jehovah’s reminders, contained in his infallible Word, the Bible. (Josh. 23:14) Within its pages, we find God’s dealings with imperfect humankind over thousands of years. This historical narrative was recorded for our benefit. (Rom. 15:4; 1 Cor. 10:11) We have seen the fulfillment of Bible prophecy. Prophecy could be likened to reminders that are told in advance. For example, millions have flocked to the pure worship of Jehovah, as was prophesied would occur in “the final part of the days.” (Isa. 2:2, 3) Worsening world conditions also fulfill Bible prophecy. And the extensive preaching campaign going on worldwide is a direct fulfillment of Jesus’ words. (Matt. 24:14) Our Creator has built up a record that we can put our trust in. Are we benefiting from it? Are we putting faith in his reminders? w13 9/15 1:19, 20

Edited by GrumpysWife

Monday, October 12

A man’s enemies are the men of his household.—Mic. 7:6.

We find it distressing when workmates, schoolmates, and neighbors show

a self-centered attitude. Some of God’s servants, though, have an even greater challenge. Jesus said that his followers would face family opposition, and he used words similar to those recorded at Micah 7:6 to describe the impact that his message would have. “I came to cause division,” said Jesus, “with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a young wife against her mother-in-law. Indeed, a man’s enemies will be persons of his own household.” (Matt. 10:35, 36) What a difficult thing it is to endure the ridicule and opposition of family members who do not share our faith! If we face such a trial, let us not cave in to family pressure. Instead, may we remain loyal and wait patiently for Jehovah to resolve matters. If we constantly ask for his help, he will give us the strength and wisdom needed in order to endure. w13 11/15 2:4

Edited by GrumpysWife

This is good V, very reassuring. My sister has tormented me for years, even taking me to the court system. Now she's convinced my sister-in-law, a DF sister, to torment my mom-in-law and other sis-in-law.  Involving the Sheriff and Elder Care/Elder Abuse, trumping up charges that have no merit, but causing chaos none the less. 

You can clearly see the evil in her and see the hurt in mom and sis-in-law, confused at how someone can lie and cause pain for no other reason other than enjoyment of it. Sick world.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Tuesday, October 13

You must inculcate [God’s wordsin your son and speak of them when you sit in your house and when you walk on the road and when you lie down and when you get up.—Deut. 6:7.

Generally, children love their parents, and parents love their children. This is especially true in Christian households. Although parents and children yearn to be close to one another, communication is sometimes difficult. Many families find that it is challenging to have enough time for meaningful communication. That was not always the case. In ancient Israel, children spent the day either with their mother at home or with their father in the fields or at his workplace. There was plenty of time for children and parents to be together and converse. Consequently, parents were in a position to get to know the needs, desires, and personality of their children. Likewise, there was time and sufficient opportunity for children to get to know their parents well. How different life is today! w13 5/15 4:2-4

Edited by GrumpysWife

Wednesday, October 14

If any widow has children or grandchildren, let these learn first to practice godly devotion in their own household and to repay their parents and grandparents what is due them.—1 Tim. 5:4.

Simply put, adult Christian children have an obligation to make sure that their parents’ material needs are met. (1 Tim. 5:8, 16) Paul was discussing believing relatives, but parents who are not members of the Christian congregation should not be neglected. Exactly how children provide care varies. No two situations are alike. The needs, temperament, and health of those involved differ. Some older ones have many children; others just one child. Some can count on support from the State; others cannot. Personal preferences of those needing care also differ. Thus, it would not be wise or loving to criticize the way in which someone is trying to care for aged relatives. Jehovah, after all, can bless any Scriptural decision and make it work, which has been true since Moses’ day.—Num. 11:23w14 3/15 3:7, 8

Edited by GrumpysWife

Thursday, October 15

All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial.—2 Tim. 3:16.

By skillful use of God’s inspired Word in our ministry, we give others the opportunity to gain everlasting life. To help us in this work, each of us relies on yet another provision from Jehovah—his holy spirit. (Zech. 4:6; Luke 11:13) What an honor it is to share in this work to the praise of our Father and Provider! In view of all that God has provided, we do well to ask ourselves: ‘Am I doing all I can in my ministry to show Jehovah the depth of my appreciation for his provisions? In what ways can I improve and become a more effective preacher of the good news?’ We can demonstrate our gratitude for God’s wonderful provisions by keeping Kingdom interests first in our lives. If we do so, Jehovah will see to it that our needs are cared for. (Matt. 6:25-33) Because of God’s love, we surely want to do as much as we can to please him and make his heart rejoice.—Prov. 27:11.w14 2/15 3:12, 13

Edited by GrumpysWife

Friday, October 16

Remember . . . your Grand Creator . . .

before the days of distress come.—Eccl. 12:1.

Solomon used poetic language to describe the calamitous days of old age. (Eccl. 12:2-5) No one should plan on waiting until he arrives at that stage in life before starting to serve Jehovah. Even though we may have been serving Jehovah for many years, it is good for us to stop occasionally and think appreciatively about how grand our Creator is. Is not life awe-inspiring? The complexity of its design is beyond human understanding. Jehovah’s provisions are so rich in variety that we have abundant possibilities for enjoying life. When we contemplate Jehovah’s creation, we renew our appreciation for his love, wisdom, and power. (Ps. 143:5) But remembering our Grand Creator also involves pondering our obligations to him. During such reflective moments, we surely feel resolved to express our gratitude to our Creator by serving him as fully as possible for as long as we live.—Eccl. 12:13w14 1/15 4:1-3

Edited by GrumpysWife

Saturday, October 17

[Jehovahserves for my salvation.—Ex. 15:2.

Jehovah delivered the oppressed Israelites and ‘brought them out of Egypt.’ Think about what that included. They were guided by a pillar of cloud and of fire. They walked on the seabed as the Red Sea towered on the left and on the right. Once safely across, they saw those waters crash over the Egyptian military. (Ex. 13:14, 21, 22; Ps. 136:11-15) If you have children, are you helping them to trust in Jehovah as a Deliverer? Can they see that conviction in you, in your conversations and decisions? You certainly can include in a Family Worship discussion what we read in Exodus chapters 12-15 and stress how Jehovah delivered his people. At other times you might develop that point in a consideration of Acts 7:30-36 or Daniel 3:16-18, 26-28. Yes, young and old alike should be confident that just as Jehovah delivered his people in Moses’ day, he will deliver us in the future.—1 Thess. 1:9, 10w13 12/15 3:15, 16

Edited by GrumpysWife

Sunday, October 18

I will search for my sheep and care for them.—Ezek. 34:11.

Jehovah compares himself to a shepherd. (Ezek. 34:12-14) That is significant because it helps us to understand what Jehovah is like. A loving human shepherd takes full responsibility for the survival and welfare of the flock of sheep under his care. He leads them to pasture and to water sources (Ps. 23:1, 2); watches over them by day and by night (Luke 2:8); protects them from predators (1 Sam. 17:34, 35); carries the newborn (Isa. 40:11); searches for strays, and cares well for sheep that are injured. (Ezek. 34:16) Sheep need care and attention in order to thrive. In a spiritual sense, it is the same with people. (Mark 6:34) Without good spiritual care and leadership, people suffer. They become vulnerable and stray morally—just as the “sheep that have no shepherd” scatter. (1 Ki. 22:17) However, Jehovah lovingly provides for the needs of his people. w13 11/15 4:1, 2

Edited by GrumpysWife

Monday, October 19

Father, . . . glorify your son, that your son may glorify you.

John 17:1.

It is late in the evening of Nisan 14 in the year 33 C.E. Jesus and his companions have enjoyed celebrating the Passover, which reminds them of how God delivered their forefathers from slavery in Egypt. But his faithful disciples are to experience a far grander “everlasting deliverance.” The next day, their sinless Leader will be put to death by his enemies. But this hateful act will be turned into a blessing. Jesus’ shed blood will provide the basis for mankind’s deliverance from sin and death. (Heb. 9:12-14) To make sure that we do not forget this loving provision, Jesus instituted a new annual observance that replaced the Passover. He did this by breaking a loaf of unleavened bread, and passing it to each of his 11 faithful apostles, he said: “This means my body which is to be given in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” He did likewise with a cup of red wine.—Luke 22:19, 20w13 10/15 4:1, 2

Edited by GrumpysWife