JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2015

"Over thousands of years, the Devil has carefully crafted the environment surrounding us.....in an attempt to break our attachment to God"

I HATE HIM!! 

We're not allowed to hate anyone except him...so I just needed to enjoy the moment, and get that out right now.  :yes:

A thousand years in the abyss doesn't seem like enough of a punishment for him. I really wish he could be subjected to all of the pain and suffering, that humans have encountered under his system.  :crying:  

Psalms 51:6 "In the secret self...may you cause me to know sheer wisdom"

Friday, November 20

Let all malicious bitterness and anger and wrath and screaming and abusive speech be taken away from you.—Eph. 4:31.

Consider the example of Jesus. Imagine the immense stress that he was feeling at the last evening meal he had with his apostles. Jesus knew that within hours he would die a slow and painful death. The sanctification of his Father’s name and the salvation of the human family depended on his faithfulness. Yet, at that very meal, there “arose a heated dispute among [the apostles] over which one of them seemed to be greatest.” Jesus did not scream at them or express bitterness toward them. Instead, he calmly reasoned with them. Jesus reminded them that they had stuck with him during trying times. Although Satan was demanding to sift them as wheat, Jesus expressed confidence that they would prove faithful. He even concluded a covenant with them.—Luke 22:24-32w13 5/15 4:15, 16

Edited by GrumpysWife

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Saturday, November 21

O Jehovah, you are our Father. We are the clay, and you are our Potter;

and all of us are the work of your hand.—Isa. 64:8.

A potter has full authority to mold the clay into the type of vessel he wants to make. The clay has no control over the matter. So it is with man and God. The man cannot rightly dispute with God any more than the clay can with the potter whose hands are giving it a form. (Jer. 18:1-6) With ancient Israel, Jehovah demonstrated his ability to do what the potter does to clay. But there is a marked difference. A potter can make any sort of vessel he is capable of making from a lump of clay. Does Jehovah arbitrarily mold people or nations, making some good and others bad? The Bible’s answer is no. Jehovah has given mankind a very precious gift—the gift of free will. He does not exercise his sovereign authority in a way that nullifies his gift. Humans must choose to be molded by the Creator, Jehovah.—Jer. 18:7-10. w13 6/15 4:3, 4

Edited by GrumpysWife

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

He does not exercise his sovereign authority in a way that nullifies his gift.

This is an interesting statement. I believe it is always true. So, when he puts the idea into the nations heads to attack BTG - it will be just to motivate them to do what they want to do anyway. Perhaps the are holding back out of fear of reprisals. He can tune down that fear without modifying their exercise of free will. We surely live in interesting times.

Note: this too is one of the reasons I personally believe he won't take any gifts away from us that he has given. :) (Gen 9:3). Of course, if he can take one gift back, there is no reason why he cant take another :eek:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Great thought Jerry...I've always wondered about Jehovah putting the thoughts in the nations head to attack BTG.  This makes perfect sense.

Thank you...

Edited by Brenda

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12

Sunday, November 22

I behold in my members another law warring against the law of my mind and leading me captive to sin’s law.—Rom. 7:23.

What weaknesses did Paul strive to overcome? Though he did not specify them, he did write to Timothy that he had been “an insolent man.” (1 Tim. 1:13) Before his conversion, Paul’s fury against Christians had been intense. Regarding his feelings about Christ’s followers, he confessed: “I was extremely mad against them.” (Acts 26:11) Paul learned to control his temper, yet he at times must have struggled to control his feelings and his words. (Acts 15:36-39) What helped him to succeed? Paul struck at his imperfect human nature with well-directed spiritual blows. (1 Cor. 9:26, 27) Very likely, he looked for points of counsel in the Scriptures, supplicated Jehovah for help to apply them, and worked hard to improve. We can benefit from his example because we wage similar fights against our imperfect inclinations. w134/15 2:8-10

Edited by GrumpysWife

That makes sense, Brother Jerry!

And I was thinking that If humans can influence other humans to carry out their wishes without violating their free will, how much easier would it be for Jehovah to do the same?   He can 'put it into their minds' in various ways, realizing that they will act, according to their own impulses; when prompted.

I think it is beautiful that the most powerful person in the universe never FORCES his will on others. He never forces us to do something we wouldn't do otherwise. Amazing!! This is the opposite of what humans do. Once they are in power the try to enslave others - by forcing their will on those not in power. That is not a trait from God.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Monday, November 23

Select for yourselves seven reputable men . . . that we may appoint them over this necessary matter.—Acts 6:3.

The apostles’ response to the report that certain “widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution” of food illustrates that the congregation can help to care for needy members. (Acts 6:1-5) Paul gave Timothy instructions outlining the circumstances under which Christian widows would qualify for material assistance from the congregation. (1 Tim. 5:3-16) The inspired Bible writer James likewise acknowledged the Christian obligation to look after orphans, widows, and others in cases of tribulation or need. (Jas. 1:27; 2:15-17) The apostle John too reasoned: “Whoever has the material possessions of this world and sees his brother in need and yet refuses to show him compassion, in what way does the love of God remain in him?” (1 John 3:17) If individual Christians have such obligations toward the needy, is that not also true of the congregations? w14 3/15 3:13, 14

Edited by GrumpysWife

Tuesday, November 24

[Abrahamcame to be called Jehovah’s friend.—Jas. 2:23.

Jehovah referred to the patriarch and ancestor of the Israelites as “Abraham my friend.” (Isa. 41:8Second Chronicles 20:7 also calls Abraham a friend of God. What was the basis for that faithful man’s enduring friendship with his Creator? It was Abraham’s faith. (Gen. 15:6; Jas. 2:21-23) Like Abraham, the more you learn about Jehovah, the stronger your faith in him becomes, and your love for him deepens. Think back to the time when you discovered that God is a real Person, someone with whom you could develop a close relationship. When we learned about his provision of Jesus’ ransom sacrifice and exercised faith in that provision, we began to build a friendship with God. As we look back now, we might well ask ourselves: ‘Am I making progress in my friendship with God? Is my trust in him strong, and is my love for my beloved Friend, Jehovah, growing each day?’ w14 2/15 4:3-6

Edited by GrumpysWife

Wednesday, November 25

Let me tell the next generation about your power

and about your mightiness.—Ps. 71:18.

As an experienced Christian, you have opportunities that are not open to others. You can pass on to younger ones what you have learned from Jehovah. You can strengthen others by relating experiences you have enjoyed while serving God. King David prayed for opportunities to do so, as shown in today’s text. How could you make known the wisdom you have acquired over the years? Could you invite younger servants of God to your home for some upbuilding association? Could you ask them to accompany you in the Christian ministry and show them the joy you experience in serving Jehovah? Elihu of ancient times said: “Let age speak, and let a multitude of years declare wisdom.” (Job 32:7) The apostle Paul urged experienced Christian women to encourage others by word and example. He wrote: “Let the older women be . . . teachers of what is good.”—Titus 2:3w14 1/15 4:4, 5

Edited by GrumpysWife

The apostle Paul urged experienced Christian women to encourage others by word and example. He wrote: “Let the older women be . . . teachers of what is good........Thanks Vernalee.

We had one much older sister in our congregation that did exactly as the text stated.  She died at 96/97 yo, just a few years ago, and I can still see her 'running' up and down the KH aisle encouraging each one of us to join her in service 'tomorow'.  She and her husband were the most encouraging publishers I have ever seen.  They had many health problems but always put Jehovah first.  His mom was one of the anointed and encouraged him even as a baby to put Jehovah first.   He and his wife went where the brothers sent them.......anywhere....when I read of Abraham/Sarah leaving comforts, I think of them because he inherited a very old, very successful company that made lots, lots, lots of money.  He donated all to the brothers, keeping only a small stipend for themselves, he built their own portable home that went from here to there.  What a wonderful example to remember, and imitate,  and to tell others about their self sacrificing life in Jehovah's service.  

Thursday, November 26

[Becomeexamples to the flock.—1 Pet. 5:3.

After admonishing the older men in the congregation not ‘to lord it over those allotted to them,’ the apostle Peter wrote the above. How may an elder be an example to the flock? Consider two of the qualifications that must be met by a man who is “reaching out for an office of overseer.” He needs to be “sound in mind” and must be “presiding over his own household in a fine manner.” If an elder has a family, he must preside over it in an exemplary way, for “if indeed any man does not know how to preside over his own household, how will he take care of God’s congregation?” (1 Tim. 3:1, 2, 4, 5) To qualify for the office of overseer, a man must be sound in mind in that he clearly understands divine principles and knows how to apply them in his own life. He is levelheaded and not hasty in judgment. Seeing these qualities in the elders inspires confidence among congregation members. w1311/15 5:13

Edited by GrumpysWife

Hasty: (dictionary.com): moving or acting with haste; speedy; quick; hurried.

Learners: "A hasty movement, action, or statement is sudden, and often done in reaction to something that has just happened."

Sooo, for me, lol, that means to slow down (excluding serving Jah). In other words, in my emotions, etc.

Great text. Jah ALWAYS knows exactly what he's doing!

Friday, November 27

By means of him we have the release by ransom

through the blood of that one.—Eph. 1:7.

Memorializing the Jewish Passover was part of the Mosaic Law, and we are not under the Law. (Rom. 10:4; Col. 2:13-16) Instead, we hold dear another event, the death of God’s Son. Still, there are features of the Passover observance that was instituted back in Egypt that have meaning for us. The lamb’s blood sprinkled on the doorposts and lintel was a means to preserve life. Today, we do not offer animal sacrifices to God. But there is a better sacrifice that can preserve life permanently. The apostle Paul wrote about “the congregation of the firstborn who have been enrolled in the heavens.” The means of preserving the lives of those anointed Christians is “the blood of sprinkling,” Jesus’ blood. (Heb. 12:23, 24) Christians who hope to live forever on earth depend on that same blood for preservation. They should regularly remind themselves of the assurance found in the words of today’s text. w13 12/15 3:17, 18

Edited by GrumpysWife

Saturday, November 28

This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood,

which is to be poured out in your behalf.—Luke 22:20.

The end was soon coming to the old Law covenant between God and natural-born Israelites. It would be replaced by a new covenant between Jehovah and Jesus’ anointed followers. Jesus was deeply concerned about the welfare of this new spiritual nation. Natural Israel was hopelessly divided religiously and socially, bringing great reproach on God’s holy name. (John 7:45-49; Acts 23:6-9) In contrast, Jesus desired that his followers remain perfectly united so that they could work harmoniously together to bring glory to God’s name. So, what does Jesus do? He offers the most beautiful prayer that any human will ever be privileged to read. (John 17:1-26) We are in a position to look back and ask, “Has God answered Jesus’ prayer?” We should also examine ourselves and ask, “Am I acting in harmony with it?” w13 10/15 4:2, 3

Edited by GrumpysWife

Has God answered Jesus Prayer ?

YES , the evidence can be seen at verse 23

" I in union with them and you in union with me , in other that they may be perfected into one " or " completely unified" - footnote ( John 17:23 )

As the world suffer from hate , disunity , religious hypocrisy , catholics killing catholics in wars , protestants killing protestants in war ... Religious terrorism e.t.c

There exist a people santictified for JEHOVAHS NAME ... Completely unified in all things , " one Lord, one faith , one baptism " serving the " one God and Father of all , who is over all nd through all and in all " - Eph 4:5,6

Yes , Jehovah answered Jesus Prayer As EVIDENCED AMONG THE CHRISTIAN WITNESSES OF JEHOVAH .

Am I contributing to this harmony ? Yes , by quickly settling difference that might arise as a result of imperfection , and by doing so, I will contribute to the unity among " ... The entire association of .. Brothers in the world" -

1pet 5:9b

Edited by Canticles

Sunday, November 29

He hears us.—1 John 5:14.

If you would like to experience blessings like the ones enjoyed by those in the full-time service, make your desire known to Jehovah. (1 John 5:15) Talk to those who are currently pioneering. If you do not at this point see how it is possible to pioneer, do all you can to increase your closeness to Jehovah by having a full share in the ministry. After prayerful examination, you may find that making some adjustments in your schedule or lifestyle will allow you to pioneer. If you can pioneer, the joys you receive will far outweigh any sacrifices you will make. You will have increased satisfaction that comes from putting Kingdom interests ahead of your own. (Matt. 6:33) You will experience the increased happiness that comes from giving to others. Furthermore, you will have more opportunities to think and talk about Jehovah, deepening your love for him and bringing him pleasure. w13 9/15 5:16, 17

Edited by GrumpysWife

Monday, November 30

Your murmurings are not against us, but against Jehovah.—Ex. 16:8.

Jehovah and Jesus are perfect Shepherds. The human undershepherds to whom they entrust the care of the congregations are not. This reality may make it challenging for some to follow the elders’ lead. Such individuals may reason: ‘They are imperfect humans just like us. Why should we listen to their counsel?’ However, we need to have a proper view of their shortcomings and weaknesses. The Scriptures candidly acknowledge the failings of those whom Jehovah used to lead his people in the past. (2 Sam. 12:7-9; Matt. 16:18, 19; John 13:38; 18:27; Gal. 2:11-14) In having Bible writers record the shortcomings of men whom he had commissioned, God showed that he can use imperfect men to lead his people. We should not use the imperfections of those who take the lead among us today as an excuse to murmur against them or to ignore their authority. w13 11/15 4:11-13

Edited by GrumpysWife

This ties in with yesterday's WT. Its all about trust and love for Jehovah. When we are unsure of some particular direction, or lack confidence in our local brothers, will we trust Jehovah enough to cooperate? Jehovah values obedience, and will help us, because he appreciates when we express our love and trust in him this way.

Tuesday, December 1

All Scripture is . . . beneficial . . . for setting things straight.—2 Tim. 3:16.

When Jewish religious leaders complained that Jesus was kind to “tax collectors and sinners,” Jesus responded: “Persons in health do not need a physician, but the ailing do. Go, then, and learn what this means, ‘I want mercy, and not sacrifice.’” (Matt. 9:11-13) He patiently and kindly explained God’s words to all. Hence, humble ones came to know Jehovah as “a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abundant in loving-kindness and truth.” (Ex. 34:6) In response to the efforts of God’s Son to ‘set things straight,’ many came to have faith in the good news. Jesus’ example teaches us how we should help others. Someone who is upset might say in an abrupt tone, ‘I want to set something straight with you.’ But “all Scripture” does not authorize us to tell others off. Like “the stabs of a sword,” sharp criticism often causes much pain and seldom brings any benefits.—Prov. 12:18w13 4/15 2:12, 13

Edited by GrumpysWife

Wednesday, December 2

In no way are we giving any cause for stumbling.—2 Cor. 6:3.

Our wholesome speech and upright conduct adorn the teaching of God, making the worship of Jehovah attractive to others. (Titus 2:10) In fact, we often hear of positive results when sincere people observe our Christlike conduct. Although we recognize that our actions can influence people for good, the opposite is also possible. So wherever we are, we seek to avoid giving anyone a basis for finding fault with our ministry and our conduct. If we were to practice sin willfully, the personal consequences would be disastrous. (Heb. 10:26, 27) This thought should move us to consider prayerfully what we are doing and what our lives tell others. As this world’s moral standards decline, sincere people will increasingly “see the distinction . . . between one serving God and one who has not served him.” (Mal. 3:18) Yes, our fine Christian conduct plays an important role in reconciling people to God. w135/15 2:10, 11

Edited by GrumpysWife

Thursday, December 3

He called the Twelve together and gave them power and authority over all the demons and to cure diseases. And he sent them out to preach the Kingdom of God and to heal.—Luke 9:1, 2.

In the first century, the King-Designate gave his disciples clear directions on what, where, and how to preach. (Matt. 10:5-7; Luke 9:3-6; 10:1-11) Following this pattern today, Jesus sees to it that all who share in the Kingdom-preaching work receive instructions and have the tools they need to preach effectively. (2 Tim. 3:17) Through the Christian congregation, Jesus is training his subjects for the ministry. One way he trains them is by means of the Theocratic Ministry School, which is conducted in each of the more than 111,000 congregations throughout the earth. By taking advantage of this instruction, more than seven million preachers are now equipped to preach and teach in a way that appeals to “people of all sorts.”—1 Cor. 9:20-23. w14 1/15 2:9

Friday, December 4

It was with a complete heart that they made voluntary offerings.

1 Chron. 29:9.

In ancient Israel, there were two things that were required from each person making voluntary sacrifices. First, the person had to give his best. Jehovah told the nation that any offering had to be a sound one in order “to gain approval.” (Lev. 22:18-20) Second, the person giving the sacrifice had to be clean and undefiled. If a person was in an unclean state, he would have to make a sin offering or a guilt offering to restore his standing with Jehovah before making a voluntary offering. (Lev. 5:5, 6, 15) This was a serious matter. Jehovah stipulated that if someone in an unclean state partook of a communion sacrifice, which included voluntary offerings, he would be cut off from God’s people. (Lev. 7:20, 21) On the other hand, when the person making the sacrifice had a good standing with Jehovah and the offering was without defect, the giver could rejoice with satisfaction. w13 12/15 2:5, 6

Edited by GrumpysWife