JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2015

Tuesday, September 8

God . . . will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed.—Dan. 2:44.

The Bible Students spent decades pointing out that the year 1914 would be significant. Many people at that time were optimistic. As one writer states: “The world of 1914 was full of hope and promise.” With the outbreak of World War I later that year, however, Bible prophecy came true. The subsequent famines, earthquakes, and pestilences as well as the fulfillment of other Bible prophecies proved conclusively that Jesus Christ had begun to rule in heaven as King of God’s Kingdom in 1914. The first mission of God’s newly installed King was to wage war against his Father’s chief Adversary, Satan. Jesus and his angels cast the Devil and his demons out of heaven. This brought great rejoicing in heaven but a time of unprecedented calamity to the earth. (Rev. 12:7-9, 12) Next, the King turned his attention to his earthly subjects to refine, educate, and organize them to do God’s will. w14 1/15 2:3, 4

Edited by GrumpysWife

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Wednesday, September 9

We have left all things and followed you.—Matt. 19:27.

People willingly make sacrifices for the things that are important to them. Parents give their time, money, and energy to benefit their children. While their peers play and have fun, young athletes who aspire to represent their country in the Olympics spend several hours every day strenuously practicing and training. Jesus too made sacrifices for things that were important to him. He did not seek luxuries, and he did not have children of his own. Rather, he chose to focus on the advancing of Kingdom interests. (Matt. 4:17; Luke 9:58) His followers likewise gave up much to support God’s Kingdom. The advancement of that Kingdom was of primary importance to them, and they made sacrifices to have as full a share as possible in supporting the Kingdom. (Matt. 4:18-22) So we may ask ourselves, ‘What is important in my life?’ w13 12/15 2:1

Edited by GrumpysWife

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Thursday, September 10

Their best one is like a brier, their most upright one is

worse than a thorn hedge.—Mic. 7:4.

Jehovah’s prophet Micah saw conditions in Israel deteriorate spiritually until they became appalling under the rulership of wicked King Ahaz. (Mic. 7:2-6) Micah likens the unfaithful Israelites to “a brier” and “a thorn hedge.” Just as a brier or a thorn hedge injures anyone who walks into it, those corrupt Israelites harmed anyone with whom they had dealings. The corruption became so great that even family relationships broke down. Aware that he could do nothing to change the situation himself, Micah poured out his heart to Jehovah. Then he waited patiently for God to act. Micah was confident that Jehovah would intervene in His own time. Like Micah, we have to live among selfish people. Many are “unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection.”—2 Tim. 3:2, 3w1311/15 2:3, 4

Edited by GrumpysWife

Friday, September 11 

Do not loiter at your business. Be aglow with the spirit. Slave for Jehovah.—Rom. 12:11.

From the Law that God gave to Israel, we learn about the sort of slavery that Jehovah requires of us. A Hebrew slave was to be granted his freedom in the seventh year of his servitude. (Ex. 21:2) However, for a slave who really loved his master and who wished to remain in his service, Jehovah made a remarkable provision. The master was to bring his slave up against the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear through with an awl. (Ex. 21:5, 6) It is of significance that this procedure involved the ear. In the Hebrew language, the basic idea of obedience is expressed by a word that relates to hearing and listening. The willing slave desired to continue giving obedient service to his master. This helps us appreciate what is involved in our dedication to Jehovah—willing obedience motivated by love of God.w13 10/15 2:2

Edited by Musky

When reviewing the WT article this was taken from, I noticed an interesting thought. Being a willing servant of Jehovah is the only form of servitude which actually makes one free. We are no longer slaves to sin. Serving Jehovah dignifies a person, and makes possible to choose freely instead of being driven by fleshly desires. How liberating and uplifting!

Now if only I could free myself of food cravings!

Saturday, September 12

The reminder of Jehovah is trustworthy.—Ps. 19:7.

Reminders helped early Christians to remain firm in the faith. Imagine the encouragement that Timothy must have received when the apostle Paul, who was then a prisoner in Rome, told him: “Keep holding the pattern of healthful words that you heard from me.” (2 Tim. 1:13) After encouraging fellow Christians to cultivate such qualities as endurance, brotherly affection, and self-control, the apostle Peter said: “I shall be disposed always to remind you of these things, although you know them and are firmly set in the truth.” (2 Pet. 1:5-8, 12) Yes, the letters that Paul and Peter wrote conveyed “sayings previously spoken by the holy prophets.” (2 Pet. 3:2) Did our first-century brothers resent receiving such direction? No, for it was an expression of God’s love, which helped them to “go on growing in the undeserved kindness and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.”—2 Pet. 3:18. w13 9/15 1:17, 18

Sunday, September 13

Let the sun not set with you in a provoked state, neither allow place for the Devil.—Eph. 4:26, 27.

It would be naive to think that pride will never surface in a marriage. We need to recognize it and address it promptly. Failure to heed God’s Word can lead to needless distress. “On occasion, my husband and I have not applied Ephesians 4:26, 27,” lamented a sister. “The result has been some of the worst nights’ sleep I’ve ever had!” How much better it is to discuss matters right away with reconciliation as the goal! Of course, marriage mates may need to give each other a little time to cool down. It is also fitting to pray for Jehovah’s help to get in the right frame of mind. This includes having a humble spirit, which will help you to focus on the problem, not on yourself, lest you aggravate the situation. (Col. 3:12, 13) Humility and modesty help a married person focus on the strengths of his or her mate. w13 5/15 3:15, 16

Monday, September 14

Honor your father and your mother.—Ex. 20:12.

Jesus underscored this commandment by condemning the Pharisees and scribes who refused to provide for their parents. (Mark 7:5, 10-13) Jesus himself set a good example. For instance, when he was at the point of death on the stake, Jesus entrusted the care of his mother, who was apparently then a widow, to his beloved disciple John. (John 19:26, 27) The apostle Paul was inspired to write that believers should provide for their own households. (1 Tim. 5:4, 8, 16) Consider the context of what Paul wrote to Timothy. Paul discussed who might and who might not qualify to receive financial support from the congregation. He made it plain that believing children, grandchildren, and other relatives of elderly widows were to be the primary providers. Likewise today, one of the ways in which Christians practice “godly devotion” is by providing materially for relatives in need. w14 3/15 3:6, 7

Tuesday, September 15

He died for all so that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for him who died for them and was raised up.—2 Cor. 5:15.

Because of their love for God and their gratitude for the inestimable privilege of serving him, the early Christians gladly accepted “the ministry of the reconciliation.” Their work of preaching and making disciples opened the way for honesthearted individuals to come to be at peace with God, enjoy his friendship, and eventually become his spiritual children. Today, anointed servants of Jehovah perform the same ministry. What they accomplish as ambassadors for God and Christ makes it possible for rightly disposed people to be drawn by Jehovah and become believers. (2 Cor. 5:18-20; John 6:44; Acts 13:48) Out of appreciation for Jehovah as the Grand Provider, all Christians who have an earthly hope share with the anointed in the Kingdom-preaching work. w14 2/15 3:10-12

Wednesday, September 16

You young men and young women, . . . praise the name of Jehovah, for his name alone is unreachably high.—Ps. 148:12, 13.

If you have cultivated in your heart a desire to serve Jehovah, enjoy the opportunities that come with being a young servant of God. Make choices that will enable you to enjoy serving Jehovah in these exciting times. On the other hand, what should you do if you do not yet feel inclined to serve Jehovah? Do not give up trying to strengthen your faith. After the apostle Paul described his efforts to pursue a way of life that God could bless, he wrote: “If you are mentally inclined otherwise in any respect, God will reveal the above attitude to you. At any rate, to the extent we have made progress, let us go on walking orderly in this same course.” (Phil. 3:15, 16) Continue to consider God’s love and his wise advice. Better than anyone, Jehovah can help you to make wise choices during your youth. w14 1/15 3:18, 19

Thursday, September 17

Instruct me, O Jehovah, in your way.—Ps. 27:11.

At each Israelite Passover, important lessons would be emphasized, passed on by father to son. One was that Jehovah could protect his worshippers. The children learned that he is not some vague, abstract deity. Jehovah is a real, living God who is interested in his people and who acts in their behalf. He proved this at the time he protected the Israelite firstborn “when he plagued the Egyptians.” (Ex. 12:27) Christian parents do not each year recount to their sons and daughters the meaning of that Passover. Do you, however, teach your children this same lesson—that God protects his people? Do you convey to them your deep conviction that Jehovah is still a real Protector of his people? (Isa. 12:2) And do you do that, not in the form of a cold lecture, but in an enjoyable conversation between you and your children? Make an effort to include that lesson to stimulate your family’s spiritual growth. w13 12/15 3:13, 14

Friday, September 18

What son is he that a father does not discipline?—Heb. 12:7.

We need discipline from Jehovah in order to be fit to survive into his righteous new world. We show that we accept God’s direction in our lives by faithfully enduring in his service and allowing his spirit to refine us. And if we commit a serious sin, we can be sure that Jehovah will forgive us if we are truly repentant and humbly accept discipline. Soon, Jehovah will make an even grander name for himself than he did when he delivered the Israelites from Egypt. (Ezek. 38:23) And just as surely as his ancient people inherited the Promised Land, so all Christians who endure as faithful worshippers of Jehovah will inherit life in God’s righteous new world. (2 Pet. 3:13) With such wonderful prospects ahead of us, may we not stop praying for the sanctification of God’s glorious name. w13 10/15 3:18, 19

Saturday, September 19

He will certainly bring about deliverance from the Assyrian.—Mic. 5:6.

Today, Jehovah certainly has provided an abundance of spiritual men to shepherd his precious sheep, to strengthen his people for the future attack of the modern-day “Assyrian.” The most practical step that we can take to prepare for the coming attack of “the Assyrian” is that of strengthening our faith in God and helping our brothers to do the same. When “the Assyrian” attacks, the elders must be absolutely convinced that Jehovah will deliver us. At that time, the life-saving direction that we receive from Jehovah’s organization may not appear practical from a human standpoint. All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not. Now is the time for any who may be putting their trust in secular education, material things, or human institutions to adjust their thinking. w13 11/15 3:16, 17

Sunday, September 20

His delight is in the law of Jehovah.—Ps. 1:2.

Some people are able to recite Bible passages from memory. Yet, this may have little effect on their thinking and way of life. What is missing? For God’s Word to influence and transform a person, he must allow it to be “sounded down” into the heart. (Gal. 6:6, ftn.) Hence, we need to spend time thinking about what we are learning. It would be good to ask ourselves: ‘Am I convinced that this is more than just some religious teaching? Have I not seen that it is the truth? Moreover, do I see ways to apply in my own life what I am learning and not view it only as something I might teach to others? Do I feel that Jehovah is talking to me personally?’ Thinking and meditating on such questions can help us to deepen the feelings we have for Jehovah in our hearts. Our love for him will grow. When the heart is thus touched, positive changes will follow.—Prov. 4:23; Luke 6:45. w13 9/15 3:17, 18

Monday, September 21

Keep hold of the weak, be patient with everybody.—1 Thess. 5:14, “An American Translation.”

Rather than quickly giving up on the weak, let us “keep hold” of them, as it were, and continue supporting them. In the past, Jehovah dealt patiently with those of his servants who at times were discouraged. For instance, God was very gracious with Elijah, considering his feelings. Jehovah provided what the prophet needed to carry on in his service. (1 Ki. 19:1-18) Because David was genuinely repentant, Jehovah kindly forgave him. (Ps. 51:7, 17) God also helped the writer of Psalm 73, who almost gave up serving Him. (Ps. 73:13, 16, 17) Jehovah is gracious and kind to us, especially when we are downhearted and discouraged. (Ex. 34:6) His mercies are “new each morning,” and they “will certainly not come to an end.” (Lam. 3:22, 23) Jehovah expects us to follow his example and treat the depressed ones with tenderness. w13 8/15 3:15

Tuesday, September 22

Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time?—Matt. 24:45.

“Brothers, I cannot begin to count the times you have put into my hands articles that contained just what I needed when I needed it most.” That is how one sister expressed her appreciation in a letter to the brothers who work at our world headquarters. The timely spiritual food we receive is proof that Jesus, the Head of the congregation, is keeping his promise to feed us. Through whom is he doing so? When giving the sign of his presence, Jesus said that he would use “the faithful and discreet slave” to give “food at the proper time” to his domestics. (Matt. 24:45-47) That faithful slave is the channel through which Jesus is feeding his true followers in this time of the end. It is vital that we recognize the faithful slave. Our spiritual health and our relationship with God depend on this channel.—Matt. 4:4; John 17:3. w13 7/15 4:1, 2

Wednesday, September 23

Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely . . . Even as Jehovah freely forgave you, so do you also.—Col. 3:13.

Of course, it is not always easy to forgive. Even some anointed Christians in the first century apparently found it challenging to settle their differences. (Phil. 4:2) If we have been hurt by a fellow believer, what can help us? Consider Job. He was deeply hurt when his “friends”—Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar—hurled baseless accusations at him. (Job 10:1; 19:2) In the end, Jehovah reproved those false accusers. God directed them to go to Job and present an offering for their sins. (Job 42:7-9) But Jehovah also required that Job do something. What was it? Jehovah directed Job to pray in behalf of his former accusers. Job did as Jehovah asked, and Jehovah blessed him for his forgiving spirit. (Job 42:10, 12, 16, 17) The lesson for us? A sincere prayer in behalf of someone who has offended us may help us to let go of resentment. w13 6/15 3:16, 17

This dovetails nicely with the CBS lesson from last night. As I listened to people's comments, I found it interesting who would comment and what they would comment about. In general I had negative thoughts such as " I don't think this person really feels that way, or they don't act like that". Then I would look at myself and ask was this really loving? Was I freezing this person in an instant of time, from a previous experience I had with them, when they were less spiritually mature? Each day we all grow spiritually, so even if this situation occurred last week, that person has grown since then. My obligation is to be more humble and learn to have a more loving view of my brothers and sisters.