JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2015

Tuesday, November 3

He will actually call down evil . . . upon his God.—Isa. 8:21.

In Isaiah’s day, the nation of Judah found themselves in dire straits. They were surrounded by enemies. Food was scarce. Many were hungry. Instead of looking to Jehovah for help in dealing with these hardships, however, they started to “call down evil” on their king and on their God. Yes, they blamed Jehovah for their problems. If we are beset by tragedy or personal problems, might we likewise say in our heart, ‘Where was Jehovah when I needed him?’ Because of not having all the facts, the Israelites in Ezekiel’s day felt that Jehovah’s way was “not adjusted right.” (Ezek. 18:29) It was as if they had set themselves up as judges of God, relying on their own limited understanding of events. If we at times do not fully understand a Bible account or the way events develop in our own life, could we perhaps feel in our heart that the way of Jehovah is unfair, “not adjusted right”?—Job 35:2w138/15 2:8, 9

Edited by GrumpysWife

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

How important it is for us (me) to realize that Jehovah is aware of everything! At times I fuss about this and fuss about that, then feel guilty afterwards, feeling "what's your problem...THIS time"? For though we all have problems and usually more than one at the same time, Jehovah is aware. Surely I, we, don't want to point the finger at our most loving, understanding heavenly father, Jehovah.

(Won't do any good anyway but give us more problems).

Edited by Luezette

Sometimes I am reading a scriptural account and do not fully comprehend something that is recorded there. It reminds me that Jehovah's knowledge is far superior to man's and that we, as Jehovah's name people, continue to read and study the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, as well as by subject. Always something new to learn. 

Wednesday, November 4

If . . . he cannot afford enough for a sheep,

then he must bring . . . two turtledoves.—Lev. 5:7.

Offering sacrifices in ancient Israel was the basis for receiving forgiveness of sins. Sacrifices were necessary for the people to enjoy Jehovah’s favor. Some of these were required; others were voluntary. (Lev. 23:37, 38) Whole burnt offerings could be made as voluntary offerings, or gifts, to Jehovah. He lovingly understood that not everyone could give the same amount, and he required from each one only according to the individual’s ability. Jehovah’s law stipulated that the blood of the animal be shed, which was to be “a shadow of the good things to come” through his Son, Jesus. (Heb. 10:1-4) However, Jehovah was not rigid in the application of that law. For example, God would accept an offering of turtledoves if the person could not afford an offering from the flock or the herd. Thus, even the poor could joyfully sacrifice to Jehovah.—Lev. 1:3, 10, 14w13 12/15 2:4, 5

Edited by GrumpysWife

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Thursday, November 5

Be liberal, ready to share.—1 Tim. 6:18.

How can we do that? By using our time and energy to help and encourage others. (Gal. 6:10) When we “practice giving,” we are sure to draw closer both to Jehovah and to our friends. (Luke 6:38; Prov. 19:17) We can also be generous toward Jehovah. “Honor Jehovah with your valuable things,” admonish the Scriptures. (Prov. 3:9) Those “valuable things” include our time, energy, and resources, which we can freely spend in his service. Even young children can learn to be generous toward Jehovah. “When our family makes a donation at the Kingdom Hall, we let our children put the money in the contribution box,” says their father, Jason. “They enjoy it because, as they put it, they’re ‘giving something to Jehovah.’” Children who experience the joy of giving to Jehovah while they are young are likely to continue being generous toward him in adulthood.—Prov. 22:6w13 6/15 2:9-11

Edited by GrumpysWife

I really appreciated the point about teaching our children to be generous, like giving them the money to put in the contribution box, or even encouraging them to put their own money in the box. if one thousand children contribute a dime,  that amount really counts in the big picture.

Friday, November 6

We recommend ourselves as God’s ministers . . .

by sleepless nights, by times without food.—2 Cor. 6:4, 5.

As indicated by the experiences of the apostle Paul, our ministry may result in “sleepless nights” and “times without food.” These expressions paint a vivid picture of self-sacrifice and may well remind us of pioneers who give their ministry first place in life while supporting themselves financially. Consider, too, our devoted missionaries ‘who pour themselves out like a drink offering’ to serve people in foreign lands. (Phil. 2:17) What about our hardworking elders who miss meals or lose sleep to care for Jehovah’s sheep? We also have our older ones and those in poor health who do their best to attend Christian meetings and participate in the field service. Our hearts swell with appreciation when we think of all these self-sacrificing servants of God. Such efforts affect how others view our ministry. w13 5/15 2:7

Edited by GrumpysWife

Saturday, November 7

Consider one another . . . , encouraging one another.—Heb. 10:24, 25.

In ancient Israel, the nation was to gather “in order that they may listen and in order that they may learn.” (Deut. 31:10-12) Jews in the first century had the custom of going to the synagogues to read from the Scriptures. (Luke 4:16; Acts 15:21) This emphasis on meeting together continued with the formation of the Christian congregation, and it is still a major part of our worship. One important way in which we encourage one another is by having a share in our meetings. We can make a public expression of our faith by answering a printed question, by giving an application of a scripture, by relating a brief experience that illustrates the wisdom of following Bible principles, or in other ways. (Ps. 22:22; 40:9) Surely you will agree that no matter how many years we have been attending meetings, it remains a source of encouragement to listen to the heartfelt comments made by our brothers and sisters—old and young. w13 4/15 4:4, 5

Edited by GrumpysWife

Sunday, November 8

Keep testing whether you are in the faith.—2 Cor. 13:5.

“The faith” is the body of Christian beliefs revealed in the Bible. If our words and actions match those beliefs, then we pass the test and show that we are “in the faith.” Of course, we must also compare our lives with the entire scope of Christian teaching. We cannot pick and choose which parts we will follow. (Jas. 2:10, 11) You might hesitate to take that test, especially if you feel that you might fail. Yet, Jehovah’s view of us is more important than ours, and his thinking is much higher than ours. (Isa. 55:8, 9) He examines his worshippers, not to condemn them, but to find their good qualities and to help them. When you use God’s Word to test yourself to see “whether you are in the faith,” you will be seeing yourself more as God sees you. This can help you to replace any idea that you are worthless to God with a Bible-based assurance: You are precious in Jehovah’s eyes. w14 3/15 2:5, 6

Edited by GrumpysWife

Monday, November 9

You are my helper and my rescuer.—Ps. 40:17.

A loving father not only provides for his children but also seeks to protect them. He would naturally try to rescue them if they were in danger. One brother remembers a specific incident that occurred when he was just a young boy. He and his father were returning home from the field service when their path took them across a stream. A heavy downpour that morning had caused the brook to flood. The only way to cross the water was to jump from one large stone to another. Going ahead of his father, the boy lost his footing on one of the stones, tumbled into the flooding water, and went under twice. How grateful the boy was that his father quickly grabbed him firmly by the shoulder and saved him from drowning! Our heavenly Father delivers us from what might be viewed as raging torrents of this wicked world and from its ruler, Satan. Jehovah is certainly the best Protector anyone could ever hope to have.—Matt. 6:13; 1 John 5:19w14 2/15 3:14, 15

Edited by GrumpysWife

Tuesday, November 10

I must also declare the good news of the Kingdom of God

to other cities, because for this I was sent.—Luke 4:43.

When Jesus began his ministry on earth, he announced the above. For three and a half years, Jesus made this work the focal point of his life. He instructed his disciples: “As you go, preach, saying: ‘The Kingdom of the heavens has drawn near.’” (Matt. 10:7) After his resurrection, Jesus foretold that his followers would spread this message “to the most distant part of the earth.” (Acts 1:8) He promised them that he would personally be involved in this vital work right down to our day. (Matt. 28:19, 20) By 1919, the “good news of the Kingdom” had taken on added meaning. (Matt. 24:14) The King was ruling in heaven, and he had gathered a small group of cleansed earthly subjects. They eagerly responded to Jesus’ rousing instructions: Preach the good news of God’s established Kingdom in all the earth!—Acts 10:42w14 1/15 2:7, 8

Edited by GrumpysWife

Wednesday, November 11

Many nations will certainly go and say: “Come, you people,

and let us go up to the mountain of Jehovah.”—Mic. 4:2.

Micah died long before that prophecy was fulfilled. Even so, he was determined to remain loyal to Jehovah even to death, no matter what others around him did. In this regard, Micah wrote: “All the peoples, for their part, will walk each one in the name of its god; but we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever.” (Mic. 4:5) Micah could wait patiently during distressing times because he had absolute confidence that Jehovah would fulfill all of His promises. The faithful prophet trusted in Jehovah. Do we have similar confidence in Jehovah? We have good reason for such trust. We have witnessed firsthand the fulfillment of Micah’s prophecy. During “the final part of the days,” millions from all nations and tribes and tongues have streamed to “the mountain of the house of Jehovah.”—Mic. 4:1w13 11/15 2:6, 7

Edited by GrumpysWife

Thursday, November 12

I have taken your reminders as a possession to time indefinite.—

Ps. 119:111.

True Christians appreciate helpful advice, especially when it is based on God’s Word. Jehovah’s reminders give valuable insight, teaching us and helping us to avoid such pitfalls as materialism, sexual immorality, and drug or alcohol abuse. (Prov. 20:1; 2 Cor. 7:1; 1 Thess. 4:3-5; 1 Tim. 6:6-11) Moreover, we rejoice over “the good condition of the heart” that results from obeying God’s reminders. (Isa. 65:14) To preserve our precious relationship with our heavenly Father, we must continue to apply Jehovah’s wise instruction in our life. How fine it is if our attitude reflects that of the psalmist who wrote the words of today’s text. Do we similarly take delight in Jehovah’s commandments, or do we sometimes view them as burdensome? Even if we occasionally chafe at some counsel we receive, we need not despair. We can cultivate unshakable trust in God’s superior wisdom! w13 9/15 2:2, 3

Edited by GrumpysWife

Friday, November 13

Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a

fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler

or a drunkard or an extortioner.—1 Cor. 5:11.

Disfellowshipping is a type of discipline from Jehovah. It protects the congregation from a bad influence and can play a role in the sinner’s recovery. (1 Cor. 5:6, 7) Robert was disfellowshipped for nearly 16 years, during which time his parents and siblings firmly and loyally applied the direction in God’s Word to quit mixing in company with wrongdoers, not even greeting such ones. Robert has been reinstated for some years now and is progressing well spiritually. When asked what moved him to return to Jehovah and His people after such a long time, he replied that the stand that his family took affected him. “Had my family associated with me even a little, say to check up on me, that small dose of association would have satisfied me and likely not allowed my desire for association to be a motivating factor to return to God.” w13 6/15 4:17

Edited by GrumpysWife

"Not even greeting such ones." We're talking about family members and relatives. How many are violating this command? --- 2John 10.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

I really appreciate the text today, such a good reminder... Ive noticed that a lot of young ones here are not really taking it seriously as they still have connections with DF'd ones on FB. In fact, that was a concern that I made a thread about here a few months back, about a sister in my cong who added her DF'd relative on Facebook.. well that sister is now DF too for whatever reason :-( its so sad

Saturday, November 14

All his spirit is what a stupid one lets out, but he that is wise

keeps it calm to the last.—Prov. 29:11.

Parents and children, do not be discouraged if the communication in your family is not as open as you would like it to be. Keep working at it, and keep on walking in the truth. (3 John 4) In the new world, perfect people will be able to interact perfectly, without misunderstandings and contention. Presently, though, all of us do things we later regret. So do not hesitate to apologize. Forgive freely. “Be harmoniously joined together in love.” (Col. 2:2) Love has power. ‘Love is long-suffering and kind. It does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.’ (1 Cor. 13:4-7) Keep on cultivating love, and communication will flourish, bringing joy to your family and praise to Jehovah. w13 5/15 4:17, 18

Edited by GrumpysWife

Sunday, November 15

I am the fine shepherd.—John 10:11.

As “the fine shepherd,” Jesus reflects his Father’s interests, purposes, and qualities. Jesus even ‘surrendered his soul in behalf of the sheep.’ (John 10:15) What a blessing Christ’s ransom sacrifice is for mankind! (Matt. 20:28; John 3:16) How do the sheep respond to the Fine Shepherd, Jesus Christ? “My sheep listen to my voice,” said Jesus, “and I know them, and they follow me.” (John 10:27) Listening to the Fine Shepherd’s voice means following his guidance in all things. This includes cooperating with the spiritual undershepherds whom he has appointed. Jesus indicated that his apostles and disciples were to continue the work that he had begun. They were to ‘teach’ and to ‘feed Jesus’ little sheep.’ (Matt. 28:20; John 21:15-17) As the good news spread and the number of disciples increased, Jesus arranged for mature Christians to shepherd the congregations.—Eph. 4:11, 12w1311/15 4:4, 5

Edited by GrumpysWife

Monday, November 16

Gray hair is a crown of beauty when it is found in the way of righteousness.—Prov. 16:31.

We should be alert to help elderly or infirm Christians. Some who would dearly love to be at congregation meetings and assemblies may rarely be able to do so. In some places, congregations lovingly arrange for such elderly ones to listen to the meetings by telephone. In other places, this may not be possible. Even so, Christians who cannot attend meetings can share in supporting true worship. For example, their prayers contribute to the success of the Christian congregation. (Ps. 92:13, 14) Elderly Christians may not realize how much they encourage others. For example, although Anna was faithful all those years at the temple, she probably did not realize that centuries later her example would still encourage others. Anna’s love for Jehovah was recorded in the Scriptures. No doubt your love for God is recorded in the hearts of fellow worshippers. w14 1/15 4:17, 18

Edited by GrumpysWife

Tuesday, November 17

Be sound in mind.—1 Pet. 4:7.

All of us are born in sin and imperfection and thus are far from being completely sound in body or mind. (Ps. 51:5; Rom. 3:23) In addition, many of us were once among those whose minds were “blinded” by Satan; we were once ignorant of Jehovah and his righteous standards. (2 Cor. 4:4; Titus 3:3) Hence, were we to base our decisions solely on what we feel is good and reasonable, we might be deceiving ourselves, no matter how much we ponder the decision before us. (Prov. 14:12) Though we are far from being sound in body and mind, Jehovah, our heavenly Father, is perfect in every respect. (Deut. 32:4) Happily, he has made it possible for us to make our mind over and to cultivate soundness of mind. (2 Tim. 1:7) As Christians, we want to think and reason sensibly and to act accordingly. We must rein in, or control, our thinking and feelings and imitate the way Jehovah thinks, feels, and acts. w13 9/15 4:4-6

Edited by GrumpysWife

Wednesday, November 18

Who really is the faithful and discreet slave?—Matt. 24:45.

In the first century, there was hardly a reason to ask such a question. The apostles could perform miracles and even transmit miraculous gifts as proof of divine backing. (Acts 5:12) So why would anyone need to ask who really was appointed by Christ to take the lead? In 1914, however, the situation was much different. The harvest season began in that year. The time had finally arrived to separate the weeds from the wheat. (Matt. 13:36-43) As the harvest season began, a vital question thus arose: With many imitation Christians claiming to be Jesus’ true followers, how could the wheat—anointed Christians—be identified? The illustration of the faithful slave provided an answer. Christ’s anointed followers would be the ones who were well-fed spiritually. w13 7/15 4:7

Edited by GrumpysWife

Thursday, November 19

The desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin.—Jas. 1:15.

In an attempt to break our attachment to God, Satan targets the source of our desires—our heart. By what means does Satan make our heart his target? Satan’s weapons include “the things in the world.” (1 John 2:15, 16) Over thousands of years, the Devil has carefully crafted the environment surrounding us. Since we live in this world, we need to guard against his subtle tactics. (John 17:15) Satan uses methods designed to corrupt the desires of the heart. The apostle John identifies three enticements that Satan employs: (1) “the desire of the flesh,” (2) “the desire of the eyes,” and (3) “the showy display of one’s means of life.” Satan used them to tempt Jesus in the wilderness. Having had years of practice using such traps, Satan today uses them effectively, adapting his approach to each person’s inclinations.w13 8/15 4:4-6

Edited by GrumpysWife

Thursday, November 19

The desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin.—Jas. 1:15.

In an attempt to break our attachment to God, Satan targets the source of our desires—our heart. By what means does Satan make our heart his target? Satan’s weapons include “the things in the world.” (1 John 2:15, 16) Over thousands of years, the Devil has carefully crafted the environment surrounding us. Since we live in this world, we need to guard against his subtle tactics. (John 17:15) Satan uses methods designed to corrupt the desires of the heart. The apostle John identifies three enticements that Satan employs: (1) “the desire of the flesh,” (2) “the desire of the eyes,” and (3) “the showy display of one’s means of life.” Satan used them to tempt Jesus in the wilderness. Having had years of practice using such traps, Satan today uses them effectively, adapting his approach to each person’s inclinations.w13 8/15 4:4-6

I wonder why the parallelism is broken.? Therefore my recommendation edit:

Verse 16: the desire to brag about and show off one's possessions.

Edited by Tbs77