JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2015

Friday, July 24

Honor your father and your mother.—Eph. 6:2.

You may find it awkward to talk with your aging parents about their living arrangements and the possible need for change. Yet, those conversations offer opportunities to make practical plans in an atmosphere of closeness and understanding. (Prov. 20:18) Many have found that an exchange of views in advance, handled in a spirit of love and kindness, made the decisions much easier when they had to be made. Even when seniors want to remain by themselves and in control of their own situation as long as possible, there are definite benefits to discussing with their children what kind of care they would prefer if the need arises. Parents, during such a discussion, inform your family about your wishes, financial abilities, and preferred options. That will put them in a position to make appropriate decisions if you at some point are not able to do so. Likely, they will want to honor your wishes as much as possible.—Prov. 15:22. w14 3/15 4:6-8

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Saturday, July 25

Ten men out of all the languages of the nations will take hold . . . of the skirt of a man who is a Jew, saying: “We will go with you people, for we have heard that God is with you people.”—Zech. 8:23.

How can we show our individual support for Jehovah’s arrangements? One way is by being in subjection to those taking the lead. (Heb. 13:7, 17) Do our comments about the elders build respect for them and their office of oversight? Do we encourage our children to respect these faithful men and to look to them for Scriptural advice? Additionally, do we discuss as a family how we can use our finances to support the worldwide work through our donations? (Prov. 3:9; 1 Cor. 16:2; 2 Cor. 8:12) Do we view as important the privilege of sharing in the upkeep of the Kingdom Hall? Jehovah’s spirit flows freely where there is such respect and unity. Through that spirit, we receive continuous help not to tire out in these last days.—Isa. 40:29-31. w13 4/15 4:14

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Sunday, July 26

They took no note.—Matt. 24:39.

Anointed Christians knew that 1914 would mark a turning point regarding divine rulership. As soon as they discerned the fulfillment of Bible prophecy, they boldly declared to others that God’s rule had begun. Today, with so much evidence that God’s Kingdom is already established in heaven, why do the majority of people not accept what this means? Why are they not able to connect the dots, so to speak, between the state of the world and specific Bible prophecies that God’s people have long been publicizing? Could it be that most people are focusing attention on just what they can see with their eyes? (2 Cor. 5:7) Does their preoccupation with human affairs blind them to what God is doing? (Matt. 24:37-39) Are some of them distracted by the noise of satanic propaganda? (2 Cor. 4:4) It takes faith and spiritual perception to see what is happening in the spirit realm. How glad we can be that we are not blind to what is really going on! w14 1/15 5:6, 7

I like the point about connecting the dots to get the whole picture. It is a good point about recognizing all of the dots that make up the picture however it is also a good reminder to us that one or two dots wont make the whole picture. We can't look at just one or two events or news articles and think the GT has started. We need to be balanced as we look at world events and Bible prophecies and watch the whole picture take shape.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The friends have ruined this scripture for me. Every time I read it, the only application I make is what was said to me as a newcomer to the mtgs. I was told not to be like the people of Noah's day who "took no note:) 

Psalms 51:6 "In the secret self...may you cause me to know sheer wisdom"

The friends have ruined this scripture for me. Every time I read it, the only application I make is what was said to me as a newcomer to the mtgs. I was told not to be like the people of Noah's day who "took no note:) 

So, you were told to take notes at the meetings?  :lol:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Monday, July 27

We wish to conduct ourselves honestly in all things.—Heb. 13:18.

Because we are determined to “conduct ourselves honestly in all things,” we avoid taking advantage of our Christian brothers. For example, if they work for us secularly, we make sure that they are fairly treated and paid in line with the agreement we have made with them. As Christians, we deal honestly with our employees and with all others. And if we are employed by a fellow Christian, we are careful not to take advantage of him by demanding special privileges. How often we hear expressions of appreciation from those in the world who have dealings with Jehovah’s Witnesses! For example, the director of a large construction services organization noticed that Jehovah’s Witnesses keep their word. “You always stick to what you have agreed to do,” he said. (Ps. 15:4) Such conduct helps us to maintain our friendship with Jehovah. Moreover, it brings praise to our loving heavenly Father. w14 2/15 4:12, 13

I was trying to figure out how to apply this since I don't work. Got it!

Keep my word! Whether to the friends, family, whoever.

But of course knowing Jehovah expects us to keep our word implies another very important matter: be very careful what you say you're going to do, etc. :). In other words: Think before you speak.

Edited by Luezette

Tuesday, July 28

He will not allow the ruination to enter into your houses.—Ex. 12:23.

When the Israelites had been slaves in Egypt for many years, Jehovah sent Moses and his brother, Aaron, to Pharaoh to ask him to liberate His people. That haughty Egyptian ruler would not let the Israelites go, so Jehovah struck the land with a series of devastating plagues. Finally, God sent a tenth plague, the death of Egypt’s firstborn, which did move Pharaoh to release them. (Ex. 1:11; 3:9, 10; 5:1, 2; 11:1, 5) But what were the Israelites to do before being set free? On Nisan 14, each household was to slaughter a male sheep (or goat) and splash some of its blood on the doorposts and lintel of the house. (Ex. 12:3-7, 22) The family was to have a meal of roasted lamb along with unleavened bread and some herbs. God’s angel would pass over the land and slay Egypt’s firstborn, but the obedient Israelites would be protected, and then they could go free.—Ex. 12:8-13, 29-32. w13 12/15 3:4, 5

Wednesday, July 29

With his arm he will collect together the lambs.—Isa. 40:11.

Jehovah is aware of the needs of those in the congregation and is happy to provide the required care. Just as a shepherd carries a newborn lamb in the fold of his garment when necessary, Jehovah—“the Father of tender mercies”—will carry us through trialsome times. He will comfort us when we are experiencing a great test or we are in special need. (2 Cor. 1:3, 4) Like Jehovah, a spiritual shepherd must be attentive to the needs of the sheep. By knowing what challenges they are facing and what specific needs require immediate attention, an elder will be in a position to offer the necessary encouragement and support. (Prov. 27:23) Clearly, an elder must have good communication with his fellow believers. While respecting their right to privacy, he takes an interest in what he sees and hears in the congregation and lovingly makes himself available to “assist those who are weak.”—Acts 20:35; 1 Thess. 4:11. w13 11/15 

What a very encouraging text! We all have problems one way or another and Jehovah, being aware of each tribulation that each of us are going through, raised up and trained men and is still training them, to assist us. This is one way that Jehovah helps us to endure.

It makes me feel good knowing what a wonderful life this is serving Jehovah. Not a perfect life, yet, but a wonderful life seeing I'm not by myself. The world just don't know what they're missing! :)

Edited by Luezette

Thursday, July 30

You are Jehovah the true God, who chose Abram . . . , and you proceeded to carry

out your words, because you are righteous.—Neh. 9:7, 8.

God promised Abraham that his seed would inherit the land of Canaan. Humans often forget what they promise; not so Jehovah. The name Jehovah means “He Causes to Become,” signifying that God, through progressive action, causes his promises to come true. This is beautifully demonstrated in God’s dealings with the descendants of Abraham when they were slaves to the Egyptians. At that time, it seemed impossible that the entire nation could be set free and settled in the Promised Land. However, by a series of progressive actions, God caused his promise to come true, thereby proving himself worthy of the unique and illustrious name Jehovah. May we too imitate our righteous God by always striving to be true to our word.—Matt. 5:37. w13 10/15 3:10, 11

Friday, July 31

Do you, . . . the one teaching someone else, not teach yourself?Rom. 2:21.

The apostle Paul wrote the above concerning some Jews in his day who had failed to practice what they preached. How different it is with pioneers today! They generally have many opportunities to teach the truth to others and conduct Bible studies. To do so effectively requires that they prepare for each study and perhaps do research to answer questions. A pioneer named Janeen explains: “Each time I have an opportunity to teach the truth to others, I feel that a deeper impression of these truths is engraved on my mind and heart. As a result, my faith is not stagnant but continues to grow.” And as we observe our Bible students improve their lives by applying Bible principles, our appreciation for God’s wisdom deepens. (Isa. 48:17, 18) That helps us, in turn, be more determined to continue applying these principles in our own life. w13 9/15 5:6, 7

Edited by Musky

Stagnant (Dictionary.com): characterized by lack of development, advancement, or progressive movement: a stagnant economy.

So this text shows that as we preach and teach our faith grows, it develops more, it moves on, it gets stronger.

Edited by Luezette

Saturday, August 1

The defect is their own.—Deut. 32:5.

Today, we see mankind’s home marred by pollution, violence, and immorality. As Bible students, we know that Jehovah cannot possibly be the cause of all these problems. He created this planet to be a delightful paradise. (Gen. 2:8, 15) Jehovah is a God of love. (1 John 4:8) Our study of the Scriptures has helped us to identify the real cause of many of the world’s difficulties. It is none other than Satan the Devil, “the ruler of the world.” (John 14:30; 2 Cor. 4:4) However, we cannot blame Satan for all our woes. Why not? Because some of our problems are the result of our own mistakes. (Deut. 32:4-6) Even though we might admit that fact, our imperfect nature can distort our thinking and cause us to go down a path that eventually leads to disaster. (Prov. 14:12) In what way? Instead of blaming ourselves or Satan for a problem, we could start to blame Jehovah. We might even become “enraged against Jehovah himself.”—Prov. 19:3w13 8/15 2:2, 3

Edited by GrumpysWife

Sunday, August 2

The weeds appeared also.—Matt. 13:26.

At the dawn of the second century C.E., “the weeds appeared” when imitation Christians became visible in the world field. By the fourth century, weedlike Christians had greatly outnumbered anointed Christians. Jesus said: “Let both grow together until the harvest.” (Matt. 13:30) This command reveals that from the first century until today, there have always been some anointed wheatlike Christians on earth. That conclusion is confirmed by what Jesus later told his disciples: “I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.” (Matt. 28:20) So anointed Christians would be protected by Jesus all the days leading up to the time of the end. However, since they were overgrown by weedlike Christians, we do not know for certain who belonged to the wheat class during that long period of time. However, some decades before the start of the harvest season, the wheat class became discernible. w13 7/15 2:3, 4

Monday, August 3

There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving.—Acts 20:35.

With that simple statement, Jesus captured the essence of true generosity. A generous person gives freely of his time, energy, and resources to benefit others—and he does so gladly. Really, generosity is measured, not by the size of the gift, but by the motive of the giver. (2 Cor. 9:7) No one is more generous than our “happy God,” Jehovah. (1 Tim. 1:11) How does Jehovah demonstrate generosity? He provides for the needs of all humans, including those not yet worshipping him. Indeed, “Jehovah is good to all.” (Ps. 145:9) He “makes his sun rise upon wicked people and good and makes it rain upon righteous people and unrighteous.” (Matt. 5:45) That is why the apostle Paul, when speaking to unbelievers, could say that Jehovah “did good, giving you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, filling your hearts to the full with food and good cheer.” (Acts 14:17) Clearly, Jehovah is generous toward all humans.—Luke 6:35. w13 6/15 2:4, 5

Tuesday, August 4

We beg: “Become reconciled to God.”—2 Cor. 5:20.

Many consider it a great honor to be given an award for a notable achievement. For instance, some have received the Nobel Prize for acting zealously to establish peace between hostile or alienated parties. But how much greater an honor it is to be sent by God as an ambassador or envoy to help people establish peaceful relations with their Creator! As Jehovah’s Witnesses, we bear that singular honor. We are being used by Jehovah to draw people to him. This is how millions in over 235 lands have been helped to enjoy good relations with God and thus have the hope of gaining everlasting life. (Titus 2:11) With heartfelt zeal, we invite “anyone that wishes [to] take life’s water free.” (Rev. 22:17) Because we cherish this precious assignment and carry it out diligently, we may rightly be called a people “zealous for fine works.”—Titus 2:14w13 5/15 2:1, 2

Edited by GrumpysWife

Wednesday, August 5

They had been counted worthy to be dishonored in behalf of [Jesus’name.—Acts 5:41.

You too can view persecution as an opportunity to imitate Peter and the apostles and follow in Jesus’ footsteps by displaying the spirit of self-sacrifice. (1 Pet. 2:20, 21) This outlook could even help if you received needed discipline from the elders. Follow Peter’s example rather than take personal offense. (Eccl. 7:9) You can also benefit from Peter’s example when it comes to spiritual goals. You can pursue such in a way that reflects a spirit of self-sacrifice. Yet, be careful that this pursuit does not become a quest for prominence. So ask yourself, ‘Could my desire to improve or increase my service to Jehovah be tainted by a wish for more personal recognition or authority?’ If you detect a measure of selfishness in your heart, ask Jehovah to help you to correct your thinking and feelings; then work harder to concentrate on his glory instead of your own.—Ps. 86:11w14 3/15 1:16-18

Edited by GrumpysWife

Ps 86:11  Unify my heart* to fear your name

ftn: Or “Give me an undivided heart.”

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

Thursday, August 6

All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial.—2 Tim. 3:16.

When the elders consider whether a Bible student qualifies to participate in the field ministry, they ask themselves, ‘Do the person’s expressions show that he believes that the Bible is the inspired Word of God?’ For someone who desires to become a Kingdom publisher—in fact, for all of God’s servants—the answer must be a clear yes. Why? Our confidence in God’s Word and our ability to use it in the ministry will help us to assist others to get to know Jehovah and to attain to salvation. The apostle Paul emphasized the importance of God’s Word when he wrote to Timothy: “Continue in the things that you learned and were persuaded to believe.” “The things” that Paul mentioned are Bible truths that moved Timothy to put faith in the good news. These truths have had the same effect on us today, and they continue to help us to remain “wise for salvation.”—2 Tim. 3:14, 15w13 4/15 2:1, 2

Edited by GrumpysWife