JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2015

I'm here for you and Brother Grumpy, VernaLee!  I work three days a week so I stay in practice.  Enema's are my speciality! ;)  You know, because sometimes we are all full of it. ;>)  Hope this does not get me a warning point!  It's just that warped medical sense of humor peeking out...

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

It doesn't seem like very long ago that I took my Dad's car keys away.

Now I see my adult kids looking at me out of the corner of their eye.

I think they are up to something.

Both Jerry's, especially "OLD" Jerry!  you will appreciate this.  When Rick and I managed some high end condos in LA we took care of a man named Hank Levy--he was the publicity agent for Bob Hope.  He was a wonderful old man that had  such an array of interesting tales to tell.  And he told them over and over and over.  He reported his house key being stolen the very first night we became managers of the condos.  Rick went into LA and bought a lock set at a 24hr Home Depot--returned home and spent hours changing the lock.  A few days later Hank reported back to us and told us  "they" broke back in and returned his checks they stole AND his house key, and of all places put it in his silverware drawer in the kitchen! :huh:

Rick asked him "Hank, I'm glad to hear that but do you think you may have misplaced them to start with?" :wub:

He would park his car, yes he was still driving, then forget where he parked it and report it stolen.  You could not convince him that "the thieves" did not go joy riding and returned it to a different spot. :( Finally his son had him committed by POA.  It was such a shame.  He could still take care of himself physcially.  Just mentally he needed a whole team to watch over him.  I loved that dear gentelman.  Can't wait to see him again!

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Tuesday, May 19...

Choose for yourselves . . . whom you will serve.—Josh. 24:15.

Each person must make his own choice about how he will spend his life as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. We cannot tell you whether to marry, whom to marry, or what employment to get. Will you choose a job that requires only a little training? Some of you young Christians live in poor villages; others live in prosperous cities. Worldwide, you vary greatly in personality, ability, experience, interests, and faith. Moses, for example, had all the opportunities of the royal court, while other Hebrews were slaves. (Ex. 1:13, 14; Acts 7:21, 22) Yet, Moses made the right choice. (Heb. 11:24-27) Jehovah helps you to make wise choices during your youth. He provides advice in the form of principles that you can apply in your unique circumstances. (Ps. 32:8) In addition, your believing parents and the congregation elders can help you to reason on how to apply these principles.—Prov. 1:8, 9. w14 1/15 3:7, 8

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

“By faith [Moses] left Egypt, but not fearing the anger of the king, for he continued steadfast as seeing the One who is invisible.” (Hebrews 11:24-27) Moses’ faith in Jehovah’s sure reward for righteousness helped him to resist sin and indulgence and its fleeting pleasure.

I  truly love Jehovah with my whole heart and want to serve Him completely because it is the right thing to do.  But sometimes, this word reward, feels like it is what keeps me going.    I don't want to feel that way.  Ever.  But the fact is I use to feel that just knowing the Truth was enough. I did not really think about Paradise and all that was promised because I was just so happy to have the answers to the major things that plagued me--hell vs heaven, suffering, death--all those questions that were answered so satisfactorily.  I can see that Moses must have had those feelings too-needing help to sustain him by thinking of better times/promises.  But I don't want to focus on that.  I want to get back to feeling that Jehovah's way is enough even if there were no future promises.  How can I get back to feeling like that?

LeslieDean

“By faith [Moses] left Egypt, but not fearing the anger of the king, for he continued steadfast as seeing the One who is invisible.” (Hebrews 11:24-27) Moses’ faith in Jehovah’s sure reward for righteousness helped him to resist sin and indulgence and its fleeting pleasure.

I truly love Jehovah with my whole heart and want to serve Him completely because it is the right thing to do. But sometimes, this word reward, feels like it is what keeps me going. I don't want to feel that way. Ever. But the fact is I use to feel that just knowing the Truth was enough. I did not really think about Paradise and all that was promised because I was just so happy to have the answers to the major things that plagued me--hell vs heaven, suffering, death--all those questions that were answered so satisfactorily. I can see that Moses must have had those feelings too-needing help to sustain him by thinking of better times/promises. But I don't want to focus on that. I want to get back to feeling that Jehovah's way is enough even if there were no future promises. How can I get back to feeling like that?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. We are encouraged to think of the reward as well. It's what keeps us going when all around us is terrible. Think back to the videos and talks from last summers conventions! It wasn't just once either. If that's real to you the rest will follow.
Edited by Mykyl

I have always felt that even if there was no reward, that I am so grateful to know the truth because it is so much better to live this way than the way the rest of the world lives. I was raised in the truth so my perspective may be different than others, but I have never focused on the reward, just living to prove Satan a lair as best as I can.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Wednesday, May 20

If the readiness is there first, it is especially acceptable according to what a person has, not according to what a person does not have.—2 Cor. 8:12.

As was true of the ancient Israelites, we must make sure that our voluntary sacrifices are acceptable to God. We have to maintain our balance so that we care for our primary responsibilities in connection with our families and the worship of Jehovah. The giving of our time and resources in behalf of others should not cause us to neglect the spirituality or physical welfare of our family. Otherwise, we would, in effect, be giving from what we do not have. Additionally, we must maintain our own spirituality. (1 Cor. 9:26, 27) Be assured, though, that when we live up to Bible standards, our sacrifices bring much joy and satisfaction to us, and they are “especially acceptable” to Jehovah. w13 12/15 2:16

Thursday, May 21

[Hezekiah] kept doing what was right in Jehovah’s eyes.—2 Chron. 29:2.

When Ahaz died in 746 B.C.E., his son Hezekiah inherited the materially impoverished and spiritually bankrupt kingdom of Judah. As the young king ascended the throne, what would his priority be? To shore up Judah’s ailing economy? No. Hezekiah was a spiritual man, a worthy shepherd of his national flock. His first act was to reestablish pure worship and to reinforce the wayward nation’s frayed relationship with Jehovah. When he understood God’s will for him, Hezekiah acted decisively. (2 Chron. 29:1-19) He invited all of Judah and Israel to a great Passover celebration. (2 Chron. 30:25, 26) What an inspiration that proved to be for all the people! From 2 Chronicles 31:1, we learn: “As soon as they finished all this, . . . they proceeded to break up the sacred pillars and cut down the sacred poles and pull down the high places and the altars.” In a mighty way, Judah thus began to turn back to Jehovah. w13 11/15 3:6, 8

Friday, May 22

They were making confession and bowing down to Jehovah their God.—Neh. 9:3.

During this celebration of the Festival of Booths, the Levites represented the people with a well-prepared prayer. (Neh. 9:1-4) No doubt, their frequent reading of God’s Law helped the Levites to prepare this meaningful prayer. The first ten verses focus exclusively on Jehovah’s works and qualities. In the remaining part of the prayer, God’s “abundant mercy” is repeatedly highlighted along with a clear admission that the Israelites were not worthy of such kind treatment. (Neh. 9:19, 27, 28, 31) Our prayers to Jehovah will also be fresh and meaningful if, like those Levites, we daily meditate on God’s Word, allowing Jehovah to speak to us before we pray at length to him. (Ps. 1:1, 2) The prayer contains only one modest request. (Neh. 9:32) Thus, the Levites set a good example for us to praise and thank Jehovah first before making personal requests in our prayers. w13 10/15 3:5-7

Saturday, May 23

Quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed.—Rom. 12:2.

The Romans were not known to cultivate a real, personal relationship with the gods they worshipped. To them, religion consisted mainly of rituals—for births, marriages, and funerals—that were part of their social order. All of that posed a challenge for the Christians in Rome. Many of them came from that background, so they obviously needed to be transformed in order to become true Christians, and the transformation would not have ended on the day of their baptism. Like the Roman world, the world today is also a threat to Christians. Why? Because the spirit of the world is manifest in many ways. (Eph. 2:2, 3; 1 John 2:16) Exposed to the world’s desires, thinking, values, and morals day in and day out, we are in constant danger of being absorbed by the world. Consequently, we have abundant reason for heeding the inspired admonition in today’s text. w13 9/15 3:7, 8

Sunday, May 24

Let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works.—Heb. 10:24..

After the establishment of God’s Kingdom in 1914, Satan was ousted from heaven and confined to the vicinity of the earth, having “great anger, knowing he has a short period of time.” (Rev. 12:7-9, 12) As this world approaches Armageddon, Satan is using trials and pressures in an attempt to weaken us spiritually. Added to this are the stresses of day-to-day life. (Job 14:1; Eccl. 2:23) Sometimes the cumulative effect of our difficulties can wear us down so much that whatever emotional and spiritual strength we muster up may not be enough for us to cope with the discouragement. Consider the case of a brother who over many decades had helped scores of people spiritually. In his later years, he and his wife experienced ill health, and he began to feel very discouraged. Like that brother, all of us need “power beyond what is normal” from Jehovah as well as encouragement from one another.—2 Cor. 4:7. w13 8/15 3:3

Monday, May 25

You will be with me in Paradise.—Luke 23:43.

Millions of us have made the wise choice to serve Jehovah God and closely follow the steps of Jesus Christ. (Matt. 16:24; 1 Pet. 2:21) We do not take lightly this life of dedication to God. Our choice was based, not on a superficial knowledge of a few scriptures, but on a thorough study of God’s Word. As a result, we learned many faith-strengthening details about the inheritance that Jehovah has placed before those who ‘take in knowledge of him and of the one whom he sent forth, Jesus Christ.’ (John 17:3; Rom. 12:2) A relatively small number of Christians look forward to receiving “an incorruptible and undefiled and unfading inheritance”—the priceless privilege of ruling with Christ in heaven. (1 Pet. 1:3, 4) The other sheep will receive the inheritance that sinful Adam and Eve never received—everlasting life on a paradise earth with no more suffering, death, or mourning.—Rev. 21:1-4. w13 5/15 5:1, 3

Tuesday, May 26

Because I will be with you, you will strike down Midian as if they were one man.—Judg. 6:16.

Judges chapter 6 relates that Jehovah’s angel visited Gideon at Ophrah. At that time, the neighboring Midianites were a real threat to Israel. For that reason, Gideon was threshing wheat, not in the open field, but in a winepress, where he could quickly hide the valuable grain. Surprised that the angel appeared and addressed him as a “mighty warrior,” Gideon questioned whether Jehovah, who had delivered the Israelites out of Egypt, was really going to help them now. The angel reassured Gideon that Jehovah truly was backing him. Gideon wondered how it would be possible for him to “save Israel out of Midian’s hand.” The answer he received is found in today’s text. Notice that in this conversation there is no question but that Gideon viewed Jehovah as a real Person.—Judg. 6:11-15. w14 2/15 4:7, 8

Wednesday, May 27

When you see all these things, know that he is near at the doors.—Matt. 24:33.

Many people today experience a form of blindness when it comes to world events. They may admit that the world has changed greatly since 1914, but they do not see the real significance of these events. As Bible students, we know that in one sense God’s Kingdom came in 1914 when Jesus was installed as King in heaven. But we know that more is involved in response to the prayer “Let your Kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also on earth.” (Matt. 6:10) Clearly, that includes the end of the present wicked system. Only when that occurs can God’s will be done on earth as it is being done in heaven. Because we regularly study God’s Word, we can see that prophecy is being fulfilled right now. What a contrast with people in general! They are so involved in their lives and pursuits that they overlook the clear evidence that Christ has been ruling since 1914 and will soon bring God’s judgment. w14 1/15 5:2, 3

Thursday, May 28

Look! a white horse, and the one seated on it had a bow; and a crown was given him.—Rev. 6:2.

Those who refuse to recognize the awesome authority that has been given to Jesus Christ, the victorious Rider of the white horse, will soon be forced to admit their error. They will not see a way out. At that time, many will cry out in terror: “Who is able to stand?” (Rev. 6:15-17) Yet, the very next chapter of Revelation provides an answer. The anointed ones and those with an earthly hope will indeed “stand” in that day with God’s approval. Then “a great crowd” of those other sheep will survive the great tribulation. (Rev. 7:9, 13-15) Christ will soon complete his conquest of this ungodly society by waging the final war in righteousness. (Rev. 19:11, 19-21) Think of what the Bible assures us can then be our happy lot!—Rev. 20:1-3, 6; 21:3, 4. w14 1/15 5:4, 18, 19

Friday, May 29

This is the way. Walk in it.—Isa. 30:21.

Jehovah’s people constitute “one flock” under “one shepherd,” Jesus Christ. (John 10:16) Jesus indicated that he would be with his disciples “all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.” (Matt. 28:20) In order to remain united and safe within the flock of God, we need to listen to ‘a word behind us,’ telling us which way to go. This “word” includes what God’s holy spirit says as expressed through the Bible and what Jehovah and Jesus say through those whom they have appointed as undershepherds. (Rev. 3:22) Satan is said to be walking about “like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone.” (1 Pet. 5:8) Like a wild and ravenous predator, he is stalking the flock, waiting for an opportunity to pounce on the unwary or on those who stray. That is all the more reason why we should stay very close to the rest of the flock and to “the shepherd and overseer of [our] souls.”—1 Pet. 2:25. w13 11/15 4:16, 17

Saturday, May 30

O the depth of God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge!—Rom. 11:33.

Thinking and speaking about a loved one can strengthen our bond with that person. The same is true regarding our relationship with Jehovah God. As a shepherd, David spent many a night gazing at the starry heavens and meditating on their incomparable Creator. He wrote: “When I see your heavens, the works of your fingers, the moon and the stars that you have prepared, what is mortal man that you keep him in mind, and the son of earthling man that you take care of him?” (Ps. 8:3, 4) As we share in the ministry, we think and talk about Jehovah. That in itself has positive effects. Many who are able to engage in the full-time ministry have found that one blessing that results from their increased share in Kingdom service is that it has deepened their love for God. Yes, discussing future Kingdom blessings with others draws us closer to Jehovah. w13 9/15 5:1-3

Sunday, May 31

Jehovah can make him stand.—Rom. 14:4.

God’s evaluation of us is what counts. Jehovah values our devotion and faithfulness to him; he does not measure us by our accomplishments. And it could well be that you have accomplished more for Jehovah than you realize. There likely are ones in the congregation whom you have affected for good, as well as those in the territory who have been exposed to the truth through your efforts. View each assignment from Jehovah as proof that he is with you. (Jer. 20:11) You might be discouraged because your service seems fruitless or because some spiritual goal seems unattainable. Yet, you still share the greatest privilege that any of us can now have—that of preaching the good news and bearing God’s name. Remain faithful. Then, in a sense, the words in one of Jesus’ parables can be said to you: “Enter into the joy of your master.”—Matt. 25:23. w14 3/15 2:17, 18

Monday, June 1

Was it not because of these that Solomon the king of Israel sinned?—Neh. 13:26.

In Nehemiah’s day, Israelite men were marrying foreign women. (Neh. 13:23-25, 27) During his first visit to Jerusalem, Nehemiah had all the older men sign a written agreement pledging that they would not marry pagans. (Neh. 9:38; 10:30) A few years later, however, he found that not only had Jewish men taken foreign wives but they were about to lose their very identity as God’s sanctified people! The children of these foreign women could not read or speak Hebrew. When they got older, would they identify themselves as Israelites? Or would they rather think of themselves as Ashdodites, Ammonites, or Moabites? Without knowing the Hebrew language, was it likely that they would be able to understand God’s Law? How could they get to know Jehovah and choose to serve him instead of the false gods their mothers worshipped? Swift and decisive action was needed, and Nehemiah took such action.—Neh. 13:28. w13 8/15 1:16

Tuesday, June 2

Happy is that slave if his master on arriving finds him doing so.—Matt. 24:46.

In the part of his prophecy that is recorded at Matthew 24:29–25:46, Jesus focuses primarily on what will happen during these last days and during the coming great tribulation. There, Jesus makes eight references to his “coming,” or arrival. Regarding the great tribulation, he states: “They will see the Son of man coming on the clouds.” “You do not know on what day your Lord is coming.” “At an hour that you do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming.” And in his parable of the sheep and the goats, Jesus states: “The Son of man arrives in his glory.” (Matt. 24:30, 42, 44; 25:31) Each of these four references applies to Christ’s future coming as Judge. Indeed, a consideration of Jesus’ prophecy in its entirety makes it clear that each of the eight references to his coming applies to the future time of judgment during the great tribulation. w13 7/15 1:15, 18

I've often wondered if it was only the men that married foreigner women or did Israelite women married foreign men at that time too, nothing seems to be mentioned about it.  We know Timothys mother did, but that was many years later.   These days I've never heard of a brother marrying out of the truth, but sisters do.  (I personally know of two that have done so in the last 10 years or so).  Anyone have any comments on this?

Wednesday, June 3

God is not partial.—Acts 10:34.

How can we imitate Jehovah’s impartiality? Genuine impartiality has two aspects: attitude and actions. Only if we are impartial will we treat others without partiality. Yet, it is not always easy to evaluate our own feelings objectively. So, what could we do to find out if we are known as being unbiased? Well, when Jesus was interested in knowing what people were saying about him, he asked his trusted friends: “Who are men saying the Son of man is?” (Matt. 16:13, 14) Why not follow Jesus in that? You could ask some friend whom you can count on for candor whether you have a reputation for being impartial. If he or she concedes that there seem to be some lingering traces of racial, social, or economic partiality, what should you do? Pray earnestly to Jehovah about your feelings, begging him to help you adjust your attitude so that it will reflect his impartiality to a fuller degree.—Matt. 7:7; Col. 3:10, 11. w13 6/15 1:11, 16