JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Is This Piece Of Jewelry Appropriate?

I preach on twitter. Many apostates have posted that we have made our own idols - Watchtower jewelry/ pins, etc...  They have a picture of a cross on a chain next to a lapel pin and ask, "what's the difference"? I didn't believe them about Watchtower jewelry or pins. I do now and I am shocked.

Just know that apostates are watching and are using our use of such things against us.

YS-Ann

jw.jpg.64d0ed708d58bada0ca16e4c3fce3733.jpg

My advice would be to not eat from apostates trash, no, not even smell it! You think the smell is bad and you tell others about it... But one day you'll smell something that will knock you out :o

Take care ;)

Enviado do meu LG-D855 através de Tapatalk

Just to clarify, I know that the JW pins, jewelry, etc... are advertising. I have no problem with it at all. I am very proud of our organization!  What I was pointing out is how others view it.

YS-Ann

~We were sent to preach not to judge~ 

~Be kind to one another because all of us are suffering one way or another. This is our refuge from oppression~

:) 

On 2/13/2016 at 8:25 PM, cricket246 said:

I have always wandered about the charm bracelets and I even asked a couple of elders and even some sisters. What's the difference in wearing a charm on a bracelet and a necklace with a shaped pendant? Aren't pendants and charms basically the same thing? The elders told me it was a conscience matter just like paisley patterns, pinatas and windchimes lol The scriptures admonish to question whether these things are so. And it's good that you asked before doing something. Jehovah says those that those  go to spiritual ones for direction are showing spiritual progress. ^_^ 

Bother Schaffer has a paisley design on his tie in the video "beware of overconfidence" :)

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

On February 15, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Peanuts said:

They need to wear smaller toe rings if they stumbling over them :lol:

Or call a "toe truck".  :lol1:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

On 2/13/2016 at 7:25 PM, razzy said:

I see this:

CHARMS (Magical)

(See also Amulets; Fetishism)

discussion: it-1 428

experiences:

medium’s oil: w94 1/1 11

good-luck charms: w93 9/1 3-7

snake charming: it-1 428

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200271153

I certainly have NOTHING like any of the above items. Any further info?

Thanks,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charm_bracelet

A charm bracelet is an item of jewellery worn around the wrist. It carries personal "charms": decorative pendants or trinkets which signify important things in the wearer's life.

The wearing of charms may have begun as a form of amulet or talisman to ward off evil spirits or bad luck.[1]

On the one hand, we have charms and a charm bracelet.  It looks like, from the above Wiki link, that the idea originated with the concept of having a bracelet with magic charms or amulets to protect the wearer.  This appears to be the origin of the charm bracelet.

On the other hand, we get into the whole "wind chime" situation.  Wind chimes were originally devised as a means to either keep wicked spirits away from the house or alert the homeowner when demons or wicked spirits arrived (I can't remember which).  Over the centuries wind chimes lost their connection with spiritism and people hang them just to hear their pretty sound.  They are no longer viewed as demonic.  In the same fashion, a charm bracelet to day has probably lost all connection to magic or spiritism.  Nobody that sees a charm bracelet today thinks the wearer believes in magic charms.

So, it's back to individual conscience.  Likewise with the cereal "Lucky Charms."  Yes, they are modeled after good luck charms and, yes, the motto is "they are magically delicious."  Some Witnesses do not eat this cereal because of this connection.  Others will eat the cereal because it's cereal and all they are doing is eating breakfast, not participating in any magical or spiritistic ceremony.

• 3 months later...

For all things let your reasonableness be shown to all Men. If its in the watchtower or our Midweek study book then fine. If it isn't then its a matter of OPINION and yes elders spout their opinion all the time from the platform and conventions. All though the teaching comity has been making that harder to do. As personal opinion we can express how we feel. I would never pound anyone over the head with "You should not say that". It is that persons opinion and too many times its taken as gospel. 

Too many times things like jewelry turn into rules. There are no rules except to abstain from Fornication and Blood and to Celebrate the memorial. Also to Preach.  Beyond that could be teachings of demons. We have no Rules. Only Jehovah's loving Principles that allow us to learn and grow.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

On 12 de febrero de 2016 at 7:25 PM, cricket246 said:

I have always wandered about the charm bracelets and I even asked a couple of elders and even some sisters. What's the difference in wearing a charm on a bracelet and a necklace with a shaped pendant? Aren't pendants and charms basically the same thing? The elders told me it was a conscience matter just like paisley patterns, pinatas and windchimes lol The scriptures admonish to question whether these things are so. And it's good that you asked before doing something. Jehovah says those that those  go to spiritual ones for direction are showing spiritual progress. ^_^ 

What's wrong with paisley patterns?

As far as I know its another rule someone made up or assumed. 

Her eis the history of it I see nothing wrong with it.

http://www.paisleypower.com/#!history-of-paisley/c9ar

Edited by Greg Dent

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

Some years back we (RBC) put paisley wallpaper in the Men's room at the KH we were building - no one seemed to think anything was wrong with it.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 1 month later...
On 13/02/2016 at 7:20 AM, Sheila said:

I'm actually staggered by the number of sisters that wear them, even though we've had counsel about not just charm bracelets, but toe rings and slave bracelets that are worn around the ankles.   

I researched anklets many years ago after having a discussion with a sister on this subject and the only article that appeared then is the same one that appears now - Insight Book I Pg 112.  If you have found an article in a WT or any of the society's publications that I have missed, that states they are not to be worn by Christians, I would be interested to read it as I have been unable to find anything that states this.

1 Corinthians 10v23,24

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

2 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

I researched anklets many years ago after having a discussion with a sister on this subject and the only article that appeared then is the same one that appears now - Insight Book I Pg 112.  If you have found an article in a WT or any of the society's publications that I have missed, that states they are not to be worn by Christians, I would be interested to read it as I have been unable to find anything that states this.

1 Corinthians 10v23,24

There is nothing wrong in wearing toe rings or anklets. It seems they were popular among Jehovah's people in Bible times.

Now it's possible that in a certain area those are connected with some particular lifestyle, and therefore the elders have given advice against them. But if that happened, such advice is just local, it doesn't apply to the global brotherhood.