JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

7 wierd things happened during the first GT

We all know there was a GT during the first century. Here was Josephus says what happened during that time. It is taken from War of the Jews, book 6, chpt 5, par. 3

1. A star resembling a sword which stood over the city.

2. A comet in the sky for a whole year.

3. A heifer was laid by the high priest to be sacrificed, brought forth a lamb in the mist of the temple (probably a deformed heifer I hope)

4. In the ninth hour of the night, a great light shone around the alter and the holy house that appeared to be bright as daytime and lasted for a half an hour.

5. The eastern gate of the temple in which it would take 20 men to shut, seemed to open of its own accord about the sixth hour of the night.

6. Before sun setting, chariots and troops of soldiers in their armor were seen running about among the clouds.

7. On Pentecost as the priests going into the temple says that, the felt a quaking, and heard a great noise and after that, they heard a great noise as of a great multitude saying, " Let us move hence"

In all,  they were DOOMED!!!

3 hours ago, Dustparticle said:

We all know there was a GT during the first century. Here was Josephus says what happened during that time. It is taken from War of the Jews, book 6, chpt 5, par. 3

1. A star resembling a sword which stood over the city.

2. A comet in the sky for a whole year.

3. A heifer was laid by the high priest to be sacrificed, brought forth a lamb in the mist of the temple (probably a deformed heifer I hope)

4. In the ninth hour of the night, a great light shone around the alter and the holy house that appeared to be bright as daytime and lasted for a half an hour.

5. The eastern gate of the temple in which it would take 20 men to shut, seemed to open of its own accord about the sixth hour of the night.

6. Before sun setting, chariots and troops of soldiers in their armor were seen running about among the clouds.

7. On Pentecost as the priests going into the temple says that, the felt a quaking, and heard a great noise and after that, they heard a great noise as of a great multitude saying, " Let us move hence"

In all,  they were DOOMED!!!

Hi, do you a have source for that information? Thanks

A dear brother who is awaiting the resurrection used to give comments that, well, you couldn't agree or disagree with. A lot of research would have to be done first. While interesting...it would take a great deal of research to respond. For me, this falls in that category. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

4 hours ago, Daniel244 said:

Dusty stated his source;  War of the Jews, book 6, chpt 5, par. by Josephus.

He is the only historian to record these events. He must be taken wih a grain of salt.

Can be seen at : http://www.josephus.org/

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, Old said:

He is the only historian to record these events. He must be taken wih a grain of salt.

Hi brother Jerry. What does that expresion mean "taken with a grain of salt"?

Edited by Daniel244

3 hours ago, Old said:

Lot took his wife with a grain of salt. :whistling:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

2 hours ago, Daniel244 said:

Without a little salt he might be hard to swallow.

He is not without his detractors. Look him up in WTlibrary.

facinating character. Pharisee by birth.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

4 hours ago, Old said:

3 hours ago, Daniel244 said:

I think Jerry might have missed the fact you are not a native English speaker. I would imagine you are Spanish origin?

Grain of salt = http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grain of salt.

30 minutes ago, Sheep said:

I think Jerry might have missed the fact you are not a native English speaker. I would imagine you are Spanish origin?

Grain of salt = http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grain of salt.

Yes I am a native spanish speaker, english is my second language. thanks

Interesting read in Josephus via that link above.  As an example of how mix-ups happen in the retelling of historical events:

" The sad story of Jesus son of Ananias related by Josephus has a number of parallels with the New Testament, the first of which is the coincidence of a man named Jesus prophesying against the Temple. As the name "Jesus" (Joshua) is one of the most common held by men in Josephus' works, it should not be taken as significant in itself. But one wonders if the tales of the two Jesuses became intertwined by their tellers, with elements of one story creeping into the narrative of the other. "

Click on link Jesus son of Ananias: A Voice from the East

http://www.josephus.org/causeofDestruct.htm#voice

Note that a lot of what Josephus stated was correct, as he did live through this period.  The online library has many incidences of where Josephus agrees with what the Bible says happened.  It's just that he was not a literal eyewitness to all events of course, and his retelling (like all history) is clouded by his own interpretation.

Another interesting article on how scholars view Josephus' writings: http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2013208?q=Josephus&p=par

20 hours ago, Daniel244 said:

The source is where I mentioned is from The War of Jews. If you look under Herod  and High Priests in the Insight book Vol 1, much references in quoted is  from Josephus especially the last 28 priests since Herod the Great. And many references of Josephus is qouted in WTBS publications.  It is very interested works. If you have his works and have time reading it, please do. It is interesting.

31 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

I call shenanigans 

i tried to quote this. Looks goofy, but, here goes.

All you have to be is 60 miles from home, and you can be an authority on your choice of subjects. Then, if you get something published, you have it made in the shade. 

I think what we need to know about, "the first GT" is pretty well is covered. In the bible. For me, that is the end of the matter. 

4 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:
42 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

I call shenanigans 

i tried to quote this. Looks goofy, but, here goes.

All you have to be is 60 miles from home, and you can be an authority on your choice of subjects. Then, if you get something published, you have it made in the shade. 

I think what we need to know about, "the first GT" is pretty well is covered. In the bible. For me, that is the end of the matter. 

I need enlightenment here. How is the first Gt covered in the Bible?

Except for Jesus prophecy the Bible doesn't mention the things that actually occurred in Jerusalem circa AD 70.

36 minutes ago, Old said:

I need enlightenment here. How is the first Gt covered in the Bible?

Except for Jesus prophecy the Bible doesn't mention the things that actually occurred in Jerusalem circa AD 70.

My point, exactly. 

1 hour ago, Old said:

So, contrary to Shawn's statement, absence of evidence could be evidence of absence?
If the Bible doesn't record it, it's possible that it didn't happen?

:popcorn::whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

14 hours ago, Daniel244 said:

Yes I am a native spanish speaker, english is my second language. thanks

Antonio, your english pretty good, better than my Spanish. You'll learn a lot of english idioms, puns, and figures of speech here. Its a strange language. :bringiton:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

So, contrary to Shawn's statement, absence of evidence could be evidence of absence?
If the Bible doesn't record it, it's possible that it didn't happen?

:popcorn::whistling:

I find it interesting that events in Jerusalem and surroundings were not commented on by the Apostle John. He must have know about what went on in Judea. 

All the information we have comes from Roman historians such as Josephus and a few 'church' fathers in the second and third centuries, much of which is questionable in it's detail.