JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Earthquake in Italy

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2734 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

40 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

NBC reports "churches toppled" and that the quake was felt in Rome.

Wow, a massive earthquake at the Vatican would be interesting news...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Yeah.  Talk about 'churches toppling'.:o

Toppled church.jpg.gif

The first quake was 5.5 and hit Sellano, Italy, and it was six miles down.

The second quake registered 6.1 and it hit six miles deep, too, and its epicenter was in Visso,

which is only three miles from the first quake.  

According to the USGS, the first 5.5-magnitude earthquake took place eight kilometers east/southwest of Sellano, Italy. The follow-up earthquake or aftershock was even stronger, at a 6.1 magnitude on the Richter scale, which happened about three kilometers west ofVisso, Italy.

The Italian town of Ussita was called “finished,” reports the Telegraph. The set of earthquakes was so strong that people in Rome felt the tremors. Lots of videos of lamps swinging and shaking from Italian ceilings are filling social media.

Due to the relative shallow depth of the two earthquakes, which were close to the surface, as reported by KABC-TV, they had the potential to cause a lot of damage. Couple that with the fact that some of the Italian structures were not earthquake-proof, the vulnerability to shaking was increased.
Read more at Inquisitr.com

Earthquake.jpg

italy-earthquake-videos2-102616-467x700.

Both towns are northwest of Rome.

response_18517.jpg

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

1 minute ago, rocket said:

I can see the Headlines now. "Babylon the Great Has Fallen."

I think we'd see some witnesses and non-witnesses assume that Jehovah is destroying BTG.

I'd be more interested in seeing the Pope explain how God allowed an earthquake to damage the Vatican. ..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Are you talking about the 5.5 one Brother Tracey mentioned in post #26?  

Because my earthquake app isn't showing ANOTHER 5.4  one.:huh:

It's just showing some aftershocks from the 5.5 eight hours ago and 6.1 six hours ago.

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

In the past four hours, there have been four aftershocks in the 4.0's, but nothing in the 5.0's.:confused:

Quakes don't generally get downgraded from a 5.5 to a 4 something.

My app 'Latest Quakes' gets its info from the USGS site, but I'll check the USGS site, just to be sure my app is

providing accurate readings. yes.gif

Italy's most powerful earthquake in 36 years dealt a new blow Sunday to the country's seismically vulnerable heart, sending terrified residents fleeing for the third time in nine weeks and flattening a revered six-century-old church.

Fabrizio Curcio, head of the national civil protection agency, said around a dozen people had been injured but that there did not appear to have been any fatalities.

"We are checking, there are several people injured but for the moment we have had no reports of victims," Curcio said.

The quake struck struck at 7:40 am (0640 GMT) near the small central mountain town of Norcia, unleashing a shock felt in the capital Rome and even in Venice, 300 kilometres (200 miles) away.

It measured 6.6 on the so-called moment magnitude scale, according to US geologists, while Italian monitors estimated it at 6.5.

It was Italy's biggest quake since a 6.9-magnitude events struck the south of the country in 1980, leaving 3,000 people dead.

Italy straddles the Eurasian and African tectonic plates, making it vulnerable to seismic activity when they move.

In addition to the Amatrice disaster in August, just over 300 perished when a quake struck near the city of L'Aquila in 2009.

In 1980 tremors near Naples left 3,000 dead and an estimated 95,000 died in the 1908 Messina disaster, when a quake in the waters between mainland Italy and Sicily sent massive waves crashing into both coasts.

Very shallow quakes do the most damage to buildings.  This was just six miles down, like the others.

Put a big crack in St. Paul's Basilica, in Rome.

BTG.jpg

The earthquake in central Italy has damaged the 4th century church in Rome commonly known as 'St Paul's Outside the Walls'.

ANSA news agency reported that cornices fell and cracks appeared in the walls after the quake struck central Italy and shook many buildings in the capital.

A beam that supported a large candelabra had also become detached causing more damage.

The report said firefighters and police were called to the basilica, one of the most popular for Christian pilgrims after the quake. 

The Basilica is one of Rome's four ancient, Papal, major basilicas, along with the Basilicas of St. John in the Lateran, St. Peter's, and St. Mary Major.

The Basilica was founded by the Roman Emperor Constantine I over the burial place of St. Paul, where it was said that, after the Apostle's execution, his followers erected a memorial, called a cella memoriae. 

Ooops!  Almost forgot:

The above info can be found on the www. at:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/30/italy-earthquake-66-magnitude-quake-hits-centre-of-country-near/

On 10/26/2016 at 7:30 PM, Tortuga said:

a little too late in the game for them to relocate their world headquarters   ...   something to think about, eh

geographic location won't matter anyway when it's time!

Edited by timpin