JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's 10x200 Billion?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2749 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hubble reveals 10 times more galaxies
By Deborah Byrd in SPACE | October 13, 2016

The universe suddenly looks a lot more crowded, thanks to a deep-sky census assembled from surveys taken by the Hubble Space Telescope and other observatories.

Astronomers announced on October 13, 2016 that an analysis of data from the Hubble Space Telescope and other observatories has revealed there are at least 10 times more galaxies in the observable universe than previously thought. The announcement at Hubble Site said:

The results have clear implications for galaxy formation, and also helps shed light on an ancient astronomical paradox — why is the sky dark at night?

Astronomer Christopher Conselice of the University of Nottingham, U.K. led the team that found that 10 times as many galaxies are packed into a given volume of space in the early universe than found today.

How do we know the number of galaxies in the universe? One of the first attempts to quantify it came from the landmark Hubble Deep Field, a survey conducted in the mid-1990s. Subsequent sensitive observations such as Hubble’s Ultra Deep Field revealed a myriad of faint galaxies.

This early work led to an estimate that the observable universe contains about 200 billion galaxies. Now the new analysis of Hubble data shows that this estimate is at least 10 times too low.

Hubble-Deep-Field-1995-e1476400104464.jp

"...Stop and consider carefully the wonderful works of God."--Job 37:14

FAINTT~2303030.GIF

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

To inspire awe and garner praise, to name but two...Grin Big.gif

So wonderful are Jehovah’s creative works that they have moved angels and humans to praise him. Angelic sons of God joyously shouted in applause when he founded the earth. (Job 38:4-7) David said that ‘the heavens declare God’s glory and the expanse tells of the work of his hands.’ (Psalm 19:1-6) 
Sept. 15 Watchtower 1990

3-To knock our socks off.FAINT315.GIF

4-To humble us.WOW shocking.gif

5-To bring us joy and give us something to 'stop and consider carefully' ad infinitum. 

etc. etc. etc.Bat eyes smirk.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

3 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

I've always wondered what the purpose of all the galaxies and planets were...

The angels need a place to sit...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

carlos,

how can you multiply any amount by 10 and still have the original number/amount?  regardless what part of the world you are from/in  

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

carlos,
how can you multiply any amount by 10 and still have the original number/amount?  regardless what part of the world you are from/in  

Its 2 trillion brother Qapla, or 2 000 billion or 2 000 000 M or 2 000 000 000 K :)

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

47 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Oh, because what you call a billion and what we call a billion are different things. :)

America: one billion = one thousand millions (1 followed by 9 zeroes)

Elsewhere: one billion = one million millions (1 followed by 12 zeroes)

5 hours ago, carlos said:

Oh, because what you call a billion and what we call a billion are different things. :)

America: one billion = one thousand millions (1 followed by 9 zeroes)

Elsewhere: one billion = one million millions (1 followed by 12 zeroes)

OK - I realize that there is a difference in long and short scale when it comes to the term "billion" - so, what would you call "1 followed by 9 zeros" .... a "milliard"?

And it is true, the US uses the short scale (although, the UK has been officially using short scale since 1974 and "elsewhere" the use of the short scale, when it comes to journalism [like a news story] short scale is common in more places then just the US)

However, in your first comment you stated:

7 hours ago, carlos said:

BTW, the title question is tricky. In America, 10 x 200,000,000,000 = 2 trillion. In the rest of the world, it's 2 billion.

The title did not specify long or short scale - so, taken at face value, according to the title, it would amount to

10 X 200 billion (short scale 200,000,000,000 or long scale 200,000,000,000,000)

Either way, when you do the math, you have to add another "0" (X 10)

So, with that extra "0" (x 10) is it still called "billion"? 

Short Scale 2,000,000,000,000 ~ long scale 2,000,000,000,000,000)

Granted, if you assume the title meant "short scale", sure, you could say it is "tricky" - but then, you know what they say about "assume"

:uhhuh:B):whistling:

3 hours ago, Qapla said:

10 X 200 billion (short scale 200,000,000,000 or long scale 200,000,000,000,000)

Either way, when you do the math, you have to add another "0" (X 10)

So, with that extra "0" (x 10) is it still called "billion"? 

Granted, if you assume the title meant "short scale", sure, you could say it is "tricky" - but then, you know what they say about "assume"

:uhhuh:B):whistling:

Hey, you're teasing me, I thought you were asking seriously. :lol:

We would call 200,000,000,000 two hundred thousand millions and 2,000,000,000,000 two billions. But we would use points instead of commas. Like this: 200.000.000.000. We use commas where you use the decimal point, and the other way around.

We don't have a word in Spanish for thousands of millions, but other European languages use "milliard".

On 15/10/2016 at 4:41 AM, Brother Jack said:

Who knows? Maybe Jehovah will bless the perfect humanity after the  millenium's test:

"Further, God blessed them, and God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many, fill the UNIVERSE and subdue it, and have in subjection the PLANETS, the STARS, and the GALAXIES" 

On 15/10/2016 at 4:41 AM, Brother Jack said:

Edited by ouzo

On 10/15/2016 at 6:07 PM, carlos said:

Hey, you're teasing me, I thought you were asking seriously

Well, I was actually doing both. It is interesting that there are such completely different ways to express the same thing - to put it simply:

10 X a lot = a lot!

And, I would think that, even though the Hubble has revealed a new degree of vastness - that Jehovah has an even greater vastness to His creation that will only be revealed when we are in the New System.