JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

BBC News asks "Who won the third US presidential debate?"

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2729 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

50 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

Miss Bea, Im not  sure I understand what you meant by we have been told not to watch or listen to certain stations that offer opinions.

Did you mean told by the FS?

50 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

Miss Bea, Im not  sure I understand what you meant by we have been told not to watch or listen to certain stations that offer opinions.

Did you mean told by the FS?

It was from the platform. I saw no fault with it. In fact, I fully agree. Some stations spend almost all their time, "analyzing"  what is going on. Opinions on opinions. On opinions. In order to follow their thought process, you sort of have to, "get in that boat" with them. 

Yes, it was from the platform. Perhaps it was just a brother's opinion. Which I have no problem with. At all. I see the value of it. Brothers personal opinion or not, I see it as a protection. 

If you were in my shoes, you'd say, "amen, brother", and appreciate the reasoning  behind it. We have no business in politics. None. You see, I wake up with it, go to sleep with it, and it drones on in between. I just came home from town, to what? Yep, that tv is on, and you guessed it. Politics. And, I am sick of the whole mess. As I said....

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

On 10/24/2016 at 8:47 PM, Miss Bea said:

Yes, it was from the platform. Perhaps it was just a brother's opinion. Which I have no problem with. At all.

Definitely sounds opinionated. Last I checked, the FDS as well as local area elders were not in the business of policing our news and television viewing.

Quite the contrary, we're often encouraged to be aware of news that might be on the minds and hearts of local people in our territory, and in the USA, the election is the big kahuna for the moment. Of course, we need not know what positions either candidate take on certain issues, but we can point out the shortcomings of human rulership and point the way to a better government in heaven soon to take over earth's affairs.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

On October 24, 2016 at 8:47 PM, Miss Bea said:

It was from the platform. I saw no fault with it. In fact, I fully agree. Some stations spend almost all their time, "analyzing"  what is going on. Opinions on opinions. On opinions. In order to follow their thought process, you sort of have to, "get in that boat" with them. 

Yes, it was from the platform. Perhaps it was just a brother's opinion. Which I have no problem with. At all. I see the value of it. Brothers personal opinion or not, I see it as a protection. 

If you were in my shoes, you'd say, "amen, brother", and appreciate the reasoning  behind it. We have no business in politics. None. You see, I wake up with it, go to sleep with it, and it drones on in between. I just came home from town, to what? Yep, that tv is on, and you guessed it. Politics. And, I am sick of the whole mess. As I said....

Hi sister Bea, I respect that. You sound like my wife, she hates the news...and just about anything else on TV. So if a brother from the platform should say..we shouldn't watch anything on TV, she would readily accept his opinion as law. No middle ground.

I've learned over the years that people are so different...even among JWs. Believe it or not some people just enjoy being informed. It doesn't necessarily mean we are part of the world.

If you do see some of our brothers or sisters not remaining neutral....believe it or not, that doesn't mean all watching political news are. That's why brothers should not give their opinions as law on the platform. That's called shooting from the hip. Not a good idea.

You're decision not to watch or listen is a personal one which I respect. 

I only questioned you because I thought I had missed something from the FS.

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

Someone posted this elsewhere I think, but this is somewhat how I view things.   A meme I had recently found entitled the photo below. (See photo below...)

'How I feel as a Canadian watching US politics' lol.  

But then I think about his hairness, Justin Trudeau and I just roll my eyes. 

I actually find the debacle comical, both are unfit to be president of anything and it further solidifies my thinking and gratefulness that we have a King who is without blemish in terms of morality, in terms of fairness, uprightness and so much more.  These sorts of things make me pray a little harder for the kingdom.

Canadian US politics.jpg

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

A German mainstream news station mentioned this morning that a CNN worker had given Hilary Clinton the questions to the third debate ahead of time. This was published by several altternative media outlets the day after the debate, your classic "conspiracy theory" stuff.. but is this now official?

talking about information Br Dismal bliss,it is true that information is good for us BUT,it is even more true that some information can prove to very harmful to us especially in very subtle ways.that is why the faithful and discreet slave will never encourage us to listen to or even read apostate materials.
talking about the election debates and analysis,i think there two crucial scriptural principles that finds unique application here:

(1) "the heart is treacherous...(Jer 17:9).it is obvious that paying attention to certain information can make someone to gradually begin to drift away through subtle compromise.As Jehovah's worshippers,it is none of our business who really should win an election,as the "election debates an analysis" tries to project.all we are concerned about is how to subject ourselves to which ever government that wins.
infact the more you listen to such debates and analysis,the more likely you are to be drawn and enticed and made to begin to sympathsize with any one of the nominees.remember that the heart can be treacherous.

(2) " if your right eye is making you to stumble,tear it out and throw it away from you...(matt 5:29,30).bearing this principle in mind,i still believe that our brother in sister Beas comment (the one who spoke from the platform),was not being opinionated.But rather,he is only endeavouring to apply these vivid scriptural principles in a very admirable way.so i believe that avoiding tv stations that can cause us to compromise our political neutrality is really the best thing for us.

we all need to always remember that even though the faithful and discreet slave and our congregation elders are not to police us,we are still obligated to always display loyalty to Jehovah,even when no one is there with us.

Sent from my TECNO P9 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ishaya moses said:

talking about information Br Dismal bliss,it is true that information is good for us BUT,it is even more true that some information can prove to very harmful to us especially in very subtle ways.that is why the faithful and discreet slave will never encourage us to listen to or even read apostate materials.
talking about the election debates and analysis,i think there two crucial scriptural principles that finds unique application here:

(1) "the heart is treacherous...(Jer 17:9).it is obvious that paying attention to certain information can make someone to gradually begin to drift away through subtle compromise.As Jehovah's worshippers,it is none of our business who really should win an election,as the "election debates an analysis" tries to project.all we are concerned about is how to subject ourselves to which ever government that wins.
infact the more you listen to such debates and analysis,the more likely you are to be drawn and enticed and made to begin to sympathsize with any one of the nominees.remember that the heart can be treacherous.

(2) " if your right eye is making you to stumble,tear it out and throw it away from you...(matt 5:29,30).bearing this principle in mind,i still believe that our brother in sister Beas comment (the one who spoke from the platform),was not being opinionated.But rather,he is only endeavouring to apply these vivid scriptural principles in a very admirable way.so i believe that avoiding tv stations that can cause us to compromise our political neutrality is really the best thing for us.

we all need to always remember that even though the faithful and discreet slave and our congregation elders are not to police us,we are still obligated to always display loyalty to Jehovah,even when no one is there with us.

Brother Ishaya, your points are well taken. I think the question is , where do we draw the line? As with our discussion about watching the game of football. Yes, we will always have some who "get drawn in". Being in the world but no part of the world can be more difficult for some than others. 

Same goes for drinking alcohol. Some draw the line at refraining totally, for fear of "being drawn in" and becoming immoderate in habits. Others feel they can drink alcohol in moderation with no problem. Some drink and do "get drawn in". 

Watching news programs to be informed is simular. The bottom line is....each one knows the dangers, as with many other things. Each one will render an account.

BUT, when presenting this information from the platform....elders should follow the example of the FS by not making blanket statements,.... but just presenting the  "possibility" of  "getting drawn in",....not saying "you should not be watching football games at all". "You should not be drinking alcohol at at all"....or "you should not be watching political news at all".

Thats all we're saying here. We're not "apostates".  I can only speak for myself in saying I think both candidates in the presidential race are despicable. I have no illusions that either one will do all they say or promise. That being said...I still enjoy being informed with a certain amount of political news. Why? They cover a wide variety of of subjects that impact or may impact my life now in this system. Healthcare, terrorism, economy, minimum wages, jobs, etc....

People often bring these topics up. When I can discuss these things in an informed way....but then point to the Kingdom as the only real solution,...to some I am more credible. "All things to everyone."

For some, if they think you're ignorant of what's going on around you, and you are only able to intelligently talk about religion.... what they know little about...they may be less inclined to want to listen to you.

Understanding and being informed about these things, is not the same as apostate information. It all about balance. Balance for you is not necessarily balance for me.

P.S.  Is that a picture of President Obama? It looks just like him. :lol1:

Edited by Pjdriver

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

3 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

A German mainstream news station mentioned this morning that a CNN worker had given Hilary Clinton the questions to the third debate ahead of time. This was published by several altternative media outlets the day after the debate, your classic "conspiracy theory" stuff.. but is this now official?

Hey Rubin, there are a couple of points in your post that need fixing..

To the best of my knowledge :

The  'worker' in question is Donna Brazile and she was a CNN contributor. She is the current DNC head, appointed after Debbie Shultz resigned following a Wikileak that indicated a conspiracy in the  DNC to force Mr Sanders out of the race  for the Democratic nomination. 

The debate in question was early in the farce, one involving Mr Bernie Sanders,  who was contending with Mrs Clinton for the Democratic nomination.

The claim is that the DNC was colluding with the Clinton camp to burn Sanders, thereby ensuring H. Clinton  ended up as the nominee. 

Mz Brazile has always claimed innocence,  even after the Wikileak exposed the collusion,  even after she submitted her resignation to CNN on Oct 14, which they accepted with the usual hand wringing and distraught glances but they, CNN, somehow forgot to mention  publicly ,  until,  that is,  another leak exposed the lack of publicity and seeming cover up by the station.

They have since apologized. 

Hope that helps. ..

3 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Hey Rubin, there are a couple of points in your post that need fixing..

To the best of my knowledge :

The  'worker' in question is Donna Brazile and she was a CNN contributor. She is the current DNC head, appointed after Debbie Shultz resigned following a Wikileak that indicated a conspiracy in the  DNC to force Mr Sanders out of the race  for the Democratic nomination. 

The debate in question was early in the farce, one involving Mr Bernie Sanders,  who was contending with Mrs Clinton for the Democratic nomination.

The claim is that the DNC was colluding with the Clinton camp to burn Sanders, thereby ensuring H. Clinton  ended up as the nominee. 

Mz Brazile has always claimed innocence,  even after the Wikileak exposed the collusion,  even after she submitted her resignation to CNN on Oct 14, which they accepted with the usual hand wringing and distraught glances but they, CNN, somehow forgot to mention  publicly ,  until,  that is,  another leak exposed the lack of publicity and seeming cover up by the station.

They have since apologized. 

Hope that helps. ..

Tim, you know way too much about this. :lol2:

8 hours ago, ishaya moses said:

Ah, interesting, so officially she got the questions to the last debate between Sanders and Clinton.

But it makes you wonder if there isn't anything behind the allegations that she had the questions to the last debate with Trump as well.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 5:02 PM, Dismal_Bliss said:

Quite the contrary, we're often encouraged to be aware of news that might be on the minds and hearts of local people in our territory, and in the USA, the election is the big kahuna for the moment. Of course, we need not know what positions either candidate take on certain issues, but we can point out the shortcomings of human rulership and point the way to a better government in heaven soon to take over earth's affairs.

I def do not follow politics, but I have spoken to persons who have concluded that no man or woman is going to solve world problems.  It opens up conversations to advocate for God's Kingdom.

8 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

Tim, you know way too much about this. :lol2:

Ayup, you speak the truth. ...

We haven't had live TV for a couple of years now and I  hit YouTube or computer for current events.  It just amuzes my greatly the insignificant things they quibble about or how they obfuscate and spin everything they do or say.

I caught myself the other day, on YouTube,  listening to some talking head prattle on and on, basically saying nothing but wasting time and oxygen.  Afterwards I remarked to Denise that he had taken 5 minutes just to say 'no, didn't do it'....

It gets a little boring here when I get stuck on the couch for hours and don't have much to do. ...I fall into the same old rut, flip on the telly...I just have to find other things to amuze me...

1 minute ago, tekmantwo said:

Ayup, you speak the truth. ...

We haven't had live TV for a couple of years now and I  hit YouTube or computer for current events.  It just amuzes my greatly the insignificant things they quibble about or how they obfuscate and spin everything they do or say.

I caught myself the other day, on YouTube,  listening to some talking head prattle on and on, basically saying nothing but wasting time and oxygen.  Afterwards I remarked to Denise that he had taken 5 minutes just to say 'no, didn't do it'....

It gets a little boring here when I get stuck on the couch for hours and don't have much to do. ...I fall into the same old rut, flip on the telly...I just have to find other things to amuze me...

Tim, I was pulling you leg a little. I'm a news junkie myself. Drives my wife crazy. Short drive....I tell her that. :D

3 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

Tim, I was pulling you leg a little. I'm a news junkie myself. Drives my wife crazy. Short drive....I tell her that. :D

Oh yeah,  I  knew that. ..I was just playing back..

One thing about me,  I am prone to goofin off and smart mouthin on most situations or occasions. Everything amuzes me. In the world I have squared off with guys that really wanted to hurt me but they were kinda put off by my silly grin when push come to punch...

It's got me in trubble a time or ten but I just can't resist the temptation.

It's an old attitude,  lifes a joke,  enjoy the game, nobody gets out alive, have fun while you're here. ..I have improved tremendously in that arena, nowadays only about 90% of what I say is nonsensical. ..I feel good about that :lol1:

Okay. Here is what happened wth me. As I remember it. It was during the RC. If I remember right, the WT study. Watching TV stations that, pretty well offer opinions. was put in a way that struck me to stay away from opinion oriented TV stations. For me, they have their bias, and I have enough on my mind not to try to figure out this political mess, as it exists. Who is telling the truth. 

Why this stood out was my son listens to, and watches a news stations that, I think, is whacked out. And, there he sat beside me, and something was said, from the platform,  that I felt zapped his watching that nonsense. He'd get ahold of his worldly sister, and say things such as, " there is no global warming. It s all a hoax.". Etc. Then, she'd get ahold of me, and Moooom...

She was raised in the truth, and knew her brother was our in left field, (theocraticaly speaking)  for more then one reason. And the thinking he was spouting was from this news source that he just kept on. All the time. Whacked out thinking. And I knew the big picture. Who that station supports politically, and there my son was, in the truth, and...you get the picture. 

My hands were sort of tied. Sort of. I'd get a jab in now and then. About neutrality. But, the son is also a brother. So the jabs had to be indirect. 

So, sorry for the kerfluffle, friends...

2 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

tried to correct spellling. Went awry.

Edited by Miss Bea

Something going on...don't need two posts, practically the same...

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

P.S.  Is that a picture of President Obama? It looks just like him.

certainly pulling my legs my dear brother . your explanation is well understood.
still we all really need to be on the lookout for satans tricks (1 peter 5:8,9).make a honest assessment of yourself and be sure you can really handle the situation.
and please ,be quick to back out just when you realise that you are gradually begining to "get drawn in" like you said.

9 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

Okay. Here is what happened wth me. As I remember it. It was during the RC. If I remember right, the WT study. Watching TV stations that, pretty well offer opinions. was put in a way that struck me to stay away from opinion oriented TV stations. For me, they have their bias, and I have enough on my mind not to try to figure out this political mess, as it exists. Who is telling the truth. 

Why this stood out was my son listens to, and watches a news stations that, I think, is whacked out. And, there he sat beside me, and something was said, from the platform,  that I felt zapped his watching that nonsense. He'd get ahold of his worldly sister, and say things such as, " there is no global warming. It s all a hoax.". Etc. Then, she'd get ahold of me, and Moooom...

She was raised in the truth, and knew her brother was our in left field, (theocraticaly speaking)  for more then one reason. And the thinking he was spouting was from this news source that he just kept on. All the time. Whacked out thinking. And I knew the big picture. Who that station supports politically, and there my son was, in the truth, and...you get the picture. 

My hands were sort of tied. Sort of. I'd get a jab in now and then. About neutrality. But, the son is also a brother. So the jabs had to be indirect. 

So, sorry for the kerfluffle, friends...

Miss Bea, Fox News has strong republican leanings and CNN has strong Democratic leanings. ABC, CBS, NBC, all seem to lean Democratic, but are more subtle about it.

Sounds like in your situation, the way you handle it is perfectly appropriate. Many of us don't have that kind of pressure to deal with within the immediate family.  I think it would be like living  with alcoholics, a person may well choose not to drink at all in that environment. :)

13 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Oh yeah,  I  knew that. ..I was just playing back..

One thing about me,  I am prone to goofin off and smart mouthin on most situations or occasions. Everything amuzes me. In the world I have squared off with guys that really wanted to hurt me but they were kinda put off by my silly grin when push come to punch...

It's got me in trubble a time or ten but I just can't resist the temptation.

It's an old attitude,  lifes a joke,  enjoy the game, nobody gets out alive, have fun while you're here. ..I have improved tremendously in that arena, nowadays only about 90% of what I say is nonsensical. ..I feel good about that :lol1:

......it runs in the family....:D

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D