JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Cultural accents and mispronunciation

11 hours ago, Hope said:

My name is pronounced:

You-anna

:ph34r:B)

However, I have to correct every single one of the suggestions you listed, so don't feel bad. :D  It's when I have to do it repeatedly for the same people that I start looking sideways at them.  It's not that difficult..... if you care.. :)

Interesting. Nice name. What kind of name is yours?

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Hmmm...

So, if she was divorced would she be an Ex-X?

When she left, was it her X-odus?

What if she married a guy whose last name was Y and they snored, would it be XYZzzzzz....?

I have been trying to remember how her name was spelt (spelled? ) and I think it was  Xpolas.. 

It would be pronounced  Ex-pole-azz

I  can't remember where I read this but I think that when people write Christmas  as Xmas that it's correct,  that you pronounce the  'x' as  'cris' or something like that. ..

19 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

I have been trying to remember how her name was spelt (spelled? ) and I think it was  Xpolas.. 

It would be pronounced  Ex-pole-azz

Ok, was she driving a black and white car with lights on the top?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

11 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

No, more of an office type,  something to do with material handling. .

Oh, so when she was upset she was called Fed up-X. Got it....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

good morning my brothers and sister ( it is morning here in nigeria ).
this issue on correct pronunciation is a nice one and i just feel that the real question is:
how easy is it to adjust to a correct pronunciation?

well for some people its very easy BUT for other people its like a gordian knot.
the truth is that not everyone will be able to QUICKLY learn to pronounce you name or a word as smoothly and appropriately as you would want them to NO MATTER HOW HARD THEY MIGHT TRY (it always happens),and that is why our love should be patient and able to bear all things - 1 cor 13:4,8.

i had an experience with one of our brother here in nigeria who pronounce the name JESUS as JEJUS and honestly i felt very uncomfatable hearing him do that (especially when he is on the platform) so i decided to talk to him about it and to my surprise this our brother honestly admitted to me that the issue has been disturbing him too and he has been TRYING HARD to adjust the way he pronounces the name but its not been coming easy for him,the main reason being that he has been brought up in his native language and almost generally people from that native language when attempting to pronounce the name JESUS (in english) always end up saying JEJUS (only a few enlightened ones among them are able to speak english fleuntly).

just like in other matters,the bible encourages us to be deligent when it comes to LEARNING to do the right things (e.g learning correct pronunciation) - prov 21:5..

and that is why we are blessed to have the be-E book but unfortunately most brothers don't take it along with them to the meetings let alone take note of the speech qualities highlighted.
for example,please take not of this instruction from the be-E book:

WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
Proper pronunciation adds
to the dignity of the message we preach. It allows a
listener’s attention to be focused on the message we
preach rather than on any
mistakes in pronunciation.

Just a couple of "odd" notes ....

I worked with one man who spelled his name "Jon" - as far as I know, that is pronounced the same as "John", in fact, others I have known also pronounced Jon-John - but, not this man, He pronounced it as "zhon" (or something like that)

I also went to school with a "Chinese exchange student" (way back when I was in High School) who could never understand why everyone wanted to laugh at his name. Seems none of us could pronounce his "actual" Chinese" name - so, he was going to have us use the "literal" spelling of his Chinese name ...... only thing is, the "literal" spelling was "Tampax" - we ended up giving him a nickname .... he liked that.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

That reminds me of someone who named her son Pieter. Now, this is a very common Dutch name (and actually was my father's name), and is pronounced "Peat-ter". This, however, was in Canada, and the mother insisted that it was "Pee -etter", because "it is Dutch, you know ".