JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Cultural accents and mispronunciation

This is quite true - how many people would have known how to spell the American Football Player Brett Favre the way he did - when they heard it pronounced as Brett Farv or the other way around - if you did not know or ask would the pronunciation Farv be the first thing that came to your mind when you saw it spelled Favre

I sometimes run into that with may name - most people want to put a "u" after the "Q"

Just for fun .... how would you pronounce these town names:
  • Micanopy
  • Ocklawaha
  • okeechobee
  • Apalachicola
  • Immokalee
  • Ty Ty

As a Filipino, pronouncing the last choice you give is seriously bad brother...
Wholeness of spelling it includes some with "tt", some classmates even I pronounce it double t but corrected by Englis teachers it must be 'tt' :) dear brother

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

Well - I am not sure if that is right since you did not really give any accent or other marks to indicate how you would pronounce it

The way you have it split - did you mean it is pronounced as - Kiss-see-me or maybe Kiss-si (as in sit)-My or exactly what how?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

8 hours ago, Hope said:

As one who insists my name be pronounced correctly, despite how illogical or inconvenient it may seem to others, I find this very interesting..

Just out of curiosity ..... how do you pronounce your name?

Is it:

• You-ah-nee
  • You-ann-ee
  • Yahn-ee
  • You-won-nee

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Having heard the American pronunciation of 'futile' as 'few-tle' * , are hostile and hostel pronounced the same?

* "Introduction to Ecclesiastes" video for example.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

Oh - I forgot one :

Kissimmee

That one I know....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 13/11/2016 at 9:08 AM, Hope said:

Here's something I've noticed and wondered about- I'll need our English friends' input.

Some spoken English accents seem to substitute a "v" or "f" sound where "th" is in the word. Examples-  Bruvver, norf, fing, bovver, etc.  Are those pronunciations that a schoolteacher would try to correct in children ?  If it's colloquial, is it proper to use in a formal talk, speech... is it okay for your "interview voice" like it may be in casual conversation with friends ? 

Fanks!  :wub:

Cockney mainly, though as communities broaden and populations move around more it becomes more widespread.  However, it might have changed by now as I haven't lived there for a while.  In Cockney communities it is accepted as the norm and that is the way they speak whether with their friends or at dinner with the Queen.  I guess if the teacher comes from those areas it wouldn't be corrected as they probably speak that way themselves.  

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

18 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

In the book our mother tongue by Bill Bryson, I think it said that we adopted  the English pronounciation but the French spelling of colonel.

English has borrowed a great of it vocabulary from other languages. That's one of the reasons English has odd spellings and pronounciations...also multiple words with basically the same meaning, like pig, hog and swine.

England didn't 'borrow' vocabularly. Their language and vocabularly was thrust upon them over centuries of marauding  armies invading her.  Plus of course, for the best part of 600 years the kings and queens of England had very close ties to France and consequently a lot of educated Brits during that period spoke both languages and therefore ......  :)

Edited by GeordieGirl

I don't know if I should even join in this conversation.  I am English, I love the British English language and I excelled at it at school.  I hate 'text speak' and always write words out in full and I am very hot on pronunciation, grammar, and punctuation in the written word ... and the appropriate and proper use of the Oxford comma.  :uhhuh:

I think I better stop now before I drive you, and myself, around the bend. :loopy: :wacko:

But talking of the pronunciation of names, my Australian daughter, also fanatical about proper English, has the given name of Xochitl.  I take no responsibilty for it, it was her father's fault, but the poor girl has battled with it for all of her 23 years.  Does anyone here know how to pronounce it?  :blink:

22 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

England didn't 'borrow' vocabularly. Their language and vocabularly was thrust upon them over centuries of marauding  armies invading her.  Plus of course, for the best part of 600 years the kings and queens of England had very close ties to France and consequently a lot of educated Brits during that period spoke both languages and therefore ......  :)

Obviously I didn't mean borrow in a literal way, otherwise we'd have to give it back. :lol1:I should have said adopted. :)

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

2 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

I don't know if I should even join in this conversation.  I am English, I love the British English language and I excelled at it at school.  I hate 'text speak' and always write words out in full and I am very hot on pronunciation, grammar, and punctuation in the written word ... and the appropriate and proper use of the Oxford comma.  :uhhuh:

I think I better stop now before I drive you, and myself, around the bend. :loopy: :wacko:

But talking of the pronunciation of names, my Australian daughter, also fanatical about proper English, has the given name of Xochitl.  I take no responsibilty for it, it was her father's fault, but the poor girl has battled with it for all of her 23 years.  Does anyone here know how to pronounce it?  :blink:

First, I am a fellow Oxford comma champion :)  (and what about using cardinal numbers in dates? Yes, it's the "21st of January", but not "January 21st".)

Second, I won't even hazard a guess as to how to pronounce your daughter's name, but please, do tell!

PS: I often think that I am more "aware" of proper grammar and spelling than a "native" English speaker. My college program included two levels of English, and we were told at the start that not everyone would pass. True enough, a number of student failed one or both levels, but I achieved very high marks in both.

10 hours ago, Qapla said:

Oh - I forgot one :

Kissimmee

I'm not that kind of guy! :kiss::lol1::lol2:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

10 hours ago, Qapla said:

Just out of curiosity ..... how do you pronounce your name?

Is it:

• You-ah-nee
  • You-ann-ee
  • Yahn-ee
  • You-won-nee

My name is pronounced:

You-anna

:ph34r:B)

However, I have to correct every single one of the suggestions you listed, so don't feel bad. :D  It's when I have to do it repeatedly for the same people that I start looking sideways at them.  It's not that difficult..... if you care.. :)

1 hour ago, GeordieGirl said:

has the given name of Xochitl

Yock-till?

EDIT: Nope, I was wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a38zogpwqaQ

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Yock-till?

YO Wasup!   :poke:  "and if I marry a white guy"   ...   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDv6n08WFtA   ...   how you say your name again?  :shrugs:    Huh!  :indian:  so whats it mean? :chinese:   

... just don't call me late for dinner

Edited by timpin

8 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Yock-till?

We pronounce it 'So-chi' but for local tongues that seem to have more difficulty with the soft 'chi' sound, it is 'So-jee'. We spell it, 'Soji' when people want to remember but won't put the effort in to spelling it correctly.  So, like Sophie with a 'J'.  Apparently this is a more modern pronunciation of the name, the original being Zo-chill.  Like I said it wasn't my choice and there were reasons that I along with it, but I prefer our pronunciation than the original. :)

The meaning is 'Flower' and specifically a herb or spice flower, as in the reference in the 9th September 2002 Awake article about Vanilla.  Page 14 if you wanted to look.

Edited by GeordieGirl

9 hours ago, Hope said:

My name is pronounced:

You-anna

Thank you, Uani.  I too, was guilty of pronouncing it wrong in my head.  Because I do care about these things and your feelings, I will make sure I will always pronounce it properly from now on.   BTW, it is a very pretty name. :)

1 hour ago, GeordieGirl said:

Thank you, Uani.  I too, was guilty of pronouncing it wrong in my head.  Because I do care about these things and your feelings, I will make sure I will always pronounce it properly from now on.   BTW, it is a very pretty name. :)

Yeah,  I was saying it wrong as well.  Thanks for the clarification. 

I met a person whose last name starts with an  X..

I  axed her how to pronounce it, because I am aware that the x in some languages is treated differently, and this was a Greek sounding name.

I was told, by her, to just say X, as in EX, to start her name...I don't remember her exact name or I would post it ..

7 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Yeah,  I was saying it wrong as well.  Thanks for the clarification. 

I met a person whose last name starts with an  X..

I  axed her how to pronounce it, because I am aware that the x in some languages is treated differently, and this was a Greek sounding name.

I was told, by her, to just say X, as in EX, to start her name...I don't remember her exact name or I would post it ..

Hmmm...

So, if she was divorced would she be an Ex-X?

When she left, was it her X-odus?

What if she married a guy whose last name was Y and they snored, would it be XYZzzzzz....?