JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Magnitude 7.4 earthquake hits new zealand

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2687 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

12 hours ago, Dalbyj said:

*Reward: a virtual chocolate fish for whoever can name the movie this quote is from!

**Kiwis are not known for their imagination when it comes to naming things ... 

I give up....:huh:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

21 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

G'day Dallas! Welcome to our lovely forum!  It's been quite awful to read about all the mess that's happening over the ditch.  I've been to Picton and Wellington and the North Island. The South Island is on my wish list.  All spectacularly beautiful, but all that beauty comes at a geological and seismic cost - and you are experiencing it big time.

Of course, we all are concerned for you friends over there.  And we hope whatever happens, you can avoid the worst of it.  In the meantime, enjoy the distraction here, among friends from all over the world :) 

Hi Lucy! thanks for your lovely welcome .. and you should definitely come and see more of the South Island, it is absolutely gorgeous. I love living here except for when it gets shaky - Christchurch's new theme song is 'We built this city on rock n roll'!

It is so nice being here among so many friends and hearing/reading their concern for us .. and I know that Aussie has its own problems with bushfires and other awful things and I pray for you all over there too when I see these things on the news. 

17 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

Hi Dallas! I am glad you, Mandi and other friends are coping with such unpredictable day to day circumstances..no doubt with much prayer! My husband and I live in Daytona Beach, Fl. Our issue is hurricanes..Although stressful, it is sometimes possible to run from them..the problem is that once we ran from the east coast to Tampa on the west coast, and rhe hurricane turned and followed us!!! We had a camping van and went to a campground...Then the authorities said we had to leave, so we ended up in a motel! Right away we encountered a family (not witnesses) that needed comfort..then, since our camper was parked outside, and the power went off, we brought in a flashlight and my husband showed people to their rooms that night. Then in the morning, since there was no power...no COFFEE!!!Therefore, since there was a generator installed in our camper, we went out and made coffee, and brought it in and served it to many guests, even the manager! Well, the manager was so grateful, he insisted on one free night at the motel! Also, he let us place several magazines on each table in the lobby! 

Looking back, I am glad Jehovah helped us keep calm by focusing on comforting others..this was in 2005. Recently for hurricane Matthew, we evacuated Georgia which was just near the edge of the storm. At breakfast in the motel we comforted several couples.also sharing contact cards with them. We could feel Jehovah's spirit and help. One man my husband talked to was  not an evacuee, but attending a business conference! He stopped his Bible Study a year ago and said he would definitely resume it when he got home! What a privilege to help ones among our distresses..brings joy!

Hi Elizabeth and thank you! You're amazing ... hurricanes scare me so much and the thought of no coffee .. :( too scary! How lovely that you could not only comfort others with physical assistance but also spiritual assistance. Prayer is our main source of strength in these difficult times.

14 hours ago, Stormswift said:

no heard nothing about the Kaikoura Kingdom Hall yet. I am sure Dallas might have a bit more info there ... mayyyybeeee?

Can you tell i have figured out the quote function now? lol ... I have heard that the Kaikoura Kingdom Hall was only slightly damaged. Note this is not official .. I heard it from a sister who heard it from a brother who has been in touch with some brothers in Kaikoura so please don't take this as the final word on the Kingdom Hall. We are all just so relieved that our brothers and sisters there are all safe and uninjured. 

11 hours ago, Stormswift said:

But interestingly it took a smaller quake than we experienced the other night to bring Christchurch to her knees with some 185 fatalaties ... but this turned out because the building code had not being adhered to in some buildings - or the buildings were built prior to the current building code. The other contributing cause is the on going aftershocks that continued to weaken structures - all buildings no matter how well built do have a breaking point and many in Christchurch reached their breaking point.  I actually heard not long ago there are STILL a few earthquake victims living their backyards due to The Earthquake COmmision (the avenue to get insurance or at least the first $100,000 of the claim) haven't yet paid out on some. It's a sad situation.

Also what didn't help with the Christchurch 6.3 earthquake is that it was centered almost right underneath our city (only 10km or 6 miles from the center of town), it was a very shallow quake (only 5km or 3 miles underground) and it happened in the middle of a working day during the lunch hour. Many officials have mentioned how much different the outcome would have been if this latest quake had not occurred in the middle of the night on a weekend. 

Wow! So hard to believe there's that many aftershocks. I'm glad you're side is good, Mandi.  No, I didn't know there was 2 islands; I'm not good w/geography at all-lol! but I will definitely keep them in my prayers.  So, are the lights..lightning new?? We had a 5.0 here in OKla. couple wks ago.  I was standing in kitchen, husband in his lazy-boy in LR; I didn't feel or hear anything.  He felt and heard.  Crazy how someone a state or 2 away can feel the EQ, but one may not feel it in the state it's happening!  :confused:  And those 3 poor cows; did they ever get rescued? 

12 hours ago, SusanE said:

Wow! So hard to believe there's that many aftershocks. I'm glad you're side is good, Mandi.  No, I didn't know there was 2 islands; I'm not good w/geography at all-lol! but I will definitely keep them in my prayers.  So, are the lights..lightning new?? We had a 5.0 here in OKla. couple wks ago.  I was standing in kitchen, husband in his lazy-boy in LR; I didn't feel or hear anything.  He felt and heard.  Crazy how someone a state or 2 away can feel the EQ, but one may not feel it in the state it's happening!  :confused:  And those 3 poor cows; did they ever get rescued? 

I read that a farmer made a path and led them to safety..:lol:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

yes taking into account these are well built houses, not huts ... it's something that is quite scary.

There are some brothers who have a national franchise for cleaning - carpets, floors, fire damage etc, it's called JAE.

Have just heard that the brother who owns the JAE franchise in Kaikoura had his chimney fall on his garage and all his cleaning gear is trapped in rubble.

Many of the brothers who work for JAE from districts around are travelling to affected spots to help out ... there has been major flooding in Kapiti as well ... so brothers have responded to that. (Kapiti got a tornado yesterday - they are the upper limits of Wellington which was also affected).

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

From geonet.co.nz - just by way of confirmation.

Earthquake magnitude update

The magnitude of the earthquake has now been revised to M7.8.  This revision is based on:-

• analysis of seismic waves recorded at distant GeoNet stations (the rupture lasted over one-minute in time, meaning standard methods of calculating magnitudes were insufficient to capture the full energy released);
  • GPS ground deformation and strong motion data;
  • the length of the faults involved, observed from field reconnaissance.

The revised magnitude is consistent with other international magnitudes from France, Germany, US and Japan.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

2 hours ago, Your Brother said:

So I have to know, what happened to the cows?:confused:

....there were a lot of hungry workers and....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 11/13/2016 at 6:29 AM, BibleSteve said:

please see post #128 / page 6 ^ Above ^   ...   this thread should be updated to 7.8 since it is the official word

Edited by timpin

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 0:49 AM, timpin said:

please see post #128 / page 6 ^ Above ^   ...   this thread should be updated to 7.8 since it is the official word

7.4 was the official word at the time of posting Timpin, it was upated some days ago ... so the thread heading is just fine I think. 

39 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

7.4 was the official word at the time of posting Timpin, it was upated some days ago ... so the thread heading is just fine I think. 

https://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by-region/new-zealand/earthquake-disaster-20161115/   ...   either way, glad for a quick response from the Branch and you are safe  - you, Lucy and Dallas, please keep us updated

Edited by timpin

"Chuckles", is that our sister, Mignonne, she is the dear one who called me, via that picture thing. We had a wonderful visit. I've tried to contact her, and have failed. This is so awful. None of or friends lost their lives, yet still...love to you all. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

6 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

"Chuckles", is that our sister, Mignonne, she is the dear one who called me, via that picture thing. We had a wonderful visit. I've tried to contact her, and have failed. This is so awful. None of or friends lost their lives, yet still...love to you all. 

ive seen Mignonne since Miss Bea - dont you worry about her we are just fine in the North (upper and Central North weren't harmed at all). The cell towers and other means of communication were difficult to get through though - either because they were down or the networks were overloaded.

Was in Masterton over the weekend, and one of the brothers works for the railways, he was spending all weekend in Wellington trying to fix the ports so the Ferries can run normally again - huge job.

4 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Central

Well, that is all I can get. (I need to spend some quality time achieveing something but texting on this site!) But, this is so wonderful. Only in Jehovah's organization can we check on loved ones, 1000's of miles away. 

From the bottom of a tearful heart, thank you, Mandi. Thank you! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!