JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Magnitude 7.4 earthquake hits new zealand

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2658 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

All within just the last 14 hours.Scared Releaved Quaking in Fear.gif

So magnitude increased from 7.4 to 7.8, correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Tbs77 said:

So magnitude increased from 7.4 to 7.8, correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Some earthquake sites call it a 8.1, others a 7.8 or 7.9. New Zealand is actually calling it a 7.5. So it has to do with the Seismic Geologists who each site has employed as its down to their expertise as to what region calls their interpretation of it. It's not uncommon for them to reassess earthquakes and then downgrade them. It is less common that they upgrade them.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I have had a few problems over the last week and haven't been in touch with anything very much.  I only heard this morning about the NZ earthquake(s) and I'm feeling bad about being so out of touch.  I am so glad that you are safe, Mandi and that you are regularly updating here so we know what is going on first hand so to speak.  My prayers are definitely including you and yours and all our brothers and sisters in the affected areas.  Take care dear sister. 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

We had a smaller rocking one last night ... which means it was pretty big for the South Island. But it is pretty quiet at the moment I think - haven't checked South yet, at least here it is which means they aren't getting the real big ones at the mo.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

UPDATE: In the Last hour our poor brothers and sisters have had at least 30 quakes. GOOD NEWS is they have all been under 5.0 which is what it's meant to be doing, diminishing in magnitude, not increasing like they were yesterday. 

So providing we don't have anymore big ones (6.0 and over) it could well die out. Will keep you posted as always.

Have not heard whether any brothers and sisters are experiencing finanical hardship yet. Although insurance is available via the Earthquake commission, if we look at the insurance history in the Christchurch quakes - many are STILL waiting to be paid out, so many haven't been impressed with their performance. That being said, Jehovah can move mountains for our brothers and sisters, and we have seen this over and over again.

I'll do another update soon after having a look at some sites.

A wonderful sister has just joined - Dalbyj - she went through all the Christchurch earthquakes and is now experiencing the shaking of this bout of earthquakes. Although Christchurch has not received any severe damage as in the last quakes, these quakes are not helping the nerves of Christchurch people. So she will be able to keep you updated as well. 

So she is an example of brothers and sisters who need continuing and loving support ... and I know you wonderful brothers and sisters here will show her what you have shown to me. 

Hmmm ... Turtle boy ... be nice! *Chuckles.

Edited by Stormswift

42 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Hmmm ... Turtle boy ... be nice! *Chuckles.

Any friend of yours is a friend of yours...

:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Praying hard for the brothers and sisters over there, especially in the most effected areas cut off from the world - may Jehovah the God of all comfort be with them...... as someone said earlier, we are a family, when part of the family is scared or hurting we are ALL hurting!  

please share NEWS!!

As many as 780 aftershocks have been felt since a 7.5 magnitude earthquake struck Sunday near Kaikoura, New Zealand 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/livecoverage/breaking-news-now/lc-AAkf8xp?appwebview=true

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

That's in line with what happened after Christchurch in each event, it numbered into the 1000's very quickly.  Most though ... 4.0 and under aren't a concern and aren't felt ... actually the more smaller ones the better, as pressure is being released, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.

In Wanganui here for this event ... we are only feeling mid 5.0's and larger. Dalbyj though would be feeling a lot of those aftershocks. 

It is when these 'aftershocks' increase in magnitude I get a little concerned, in fact once they go over 5.0 insurance companies consider them a 'new event' rather than an aftershock.

But there are other factors always at play with earthquakes ... the shallower they are obviously, the more widespread they are felt and the more damage is sustained.  

My only concern at the moment, and that remains to be seen, is that we have had a lot of DEEP earthquakes North of New Zealand even since this big one, which means unfortunately that there is deep seated pressure that will need to be released. What will occur in the next few days is one or more of the following:

Pressure will be released in small bursts - a swarm of shallow earthquakes measuring a low magnitude.

Pressure will be released from a weak point in the form of another large shallow quake - now that could mean either Down South again, or following the Plate boundaries it could go North West - to the North Island, PNG, or towards Japan.

Or a large shallow earthquake  or swarms of smaller ones may appear in what they term 'the quiet zone' which is midway of a large region currently not experiencing quakes.

The forecast though is for this swarm to quieten down ... and it is expected that a large shallow one will again occur causing it to freshen up. A little like the pattern that is shown in Italy at the moment.

Pressure is seesawing between New Zealand and Italy, while ours has calmed in magnitude, Italy is now experiencing a renewed burst of earthquakes ranging from 4.0 - 5.0 in magnitude. So I'm watching Italy, when that quietens down, then I'll be worried about NZ again.

Of course the other factors are, if these deep earthquakes awaken any of our volcanoes, then this scenario will change again, with more localised quakes in the North Island ... which may or may not compound earthquakes in the South Island. 

For those in Italy ... watch for small events in Turkey, every time there are a swarm of small earthquakes it results in pressure moving West to Italy within 48 hours. At the moment Turkey is fairly quiet, so there is confidence that you will experience the swarms only at this stage. I hope he is correct.

SUMMARY: If our volcanoes remain at the stage they are, and if pressure is released in small bursts ... this may be the end of it. 

If Dutchsinse's forecast is correct ... when Italy dies down NZ will unfortunately experience another big quake like the last one. He has given a 7 day forecast ... so let's see how accurate HIS science is.

WARNING:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::If any of you have not experienced earthquakes, and you do... the important thing to remember is - do not panic. If it's a rolling earthquake it is unlikely to shake damage from structures unless it's a high magnitude over 7.0 or more. In a shallow 5.0 - 6.0 it is normal to lose things off shelves and causes superficial damage.  

In all earthquakes drop and roll to a structure wall that is key to holding up a building (and lie against the wall this may create breathing space if debri falls against the wall) or a SOLID desk - many desks today are flimsy. Seeking refuge in the smallest room in the building that is structurely sound (now is the time to determine that).   Do not go outside unless it's a park with a huge open area. A lot of cars and buildings were damaged in Christchurch due to the shop faces crumbling.   Power lines are also a very real danger.

Someone mentioned sleeping in their cars ... In italy, Dutchsinse had a friend her name is Janet Fullerlove who appeared on the BBC news item ... she had warned the Mayor of her town of Dutchsinse's forecast and many slept in their cars that night, and were not subject to the falling debri that was subsequent to the earthquake happening as forecasted. But there is a warning in that too, make sure your car is parked away from potentially falling buildings and power lines and you have your emergency kit with you.

Christchurch suffered a lot of liquefaction ... not sure about this latest one ... if you see anything that looks like a puddle of mud - avoid it as it may be very deep. 

Other than that - listen to the Society about emergency kits or go-bags as some of you call them.  Make sure you have FRESH clean water, food for 3-5 days,  fire starting kits, important papers,  changes of clothes, sleeping bags or blankets and your medication at the very least.

I felt it was important to go into this with you all, as the time deepens towards the Great Tribulation, who knows where events are going to strike that normally do not strike, and it's very easy to think, this will never affect us.  It may.

PS: TSUNAMI POTENTIALS: 

Determine NOW whether you are in a Tsunami safe location ... interestingly Wanganui had this just issued a few weeks ago, so Tom and I know our home is in a Tsunami safe location.

If you experience an earthquake of 6.0 or greater than lasts for one minute or more, and you are NOT in a Tsunami safe location, immediately take your go-bags and seek higher ground, make sure the route you take doesn't take you closer to the shore if possible. Sometimes this cannot be avoided.

Common sense: Do NOT sightsee, or go down to any beach fronts. If you are at a beach front already and see the water being 'sucked' out - move immediately to higher ground.

TIPS: Use lipstick to write on window (IF there is time) how many are safe or if there are pets inside.  Put polyeurythene rubbish bags in your kit/bag as they can serve as raincoats and protection.

Text your group overseer of your whereabouts and your safety.

Really appreciate your help in understanding this Mandi, and it is wise for us to have as much  information on preparing ourselves, especially for those of us inexperienced in earthquake survival. I went to NZ this year with no thought of earthquake preparedness, thinking well I'm not going to Christchurch. But the fault line where the plates meet run all up the south is  and near the coast of the north is. I happily enjoyed visiting your volcanic areas. Now I realise I should have been more informed and prepared.

And, I'm going to Japan next.....

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Now it says 860 aftershocks!!

Some aftershocks are so small, you can't feel them.  It takes a seismometer to notice them.

Of the 860, 780  were powerful enough to be felt by folks in the affected areas.Magnitude Chart.jpg.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Just learnt something, while some earthquakes move in a jelly like manner,which describes the one we have just had, this is the basic truth of the science of earthquakes:

" Seismic waves are transverse, their movement is perpendicular to energy transfer, hence causes ground to shake left to right or up and down. However it cannot travel through solids.  "   

This is why the pressure along the faults seeks a vent, or a weakness in the fault line.  Whether it be a crack in the earth's crust, a thinner part of the crust or a volcanic vent.

So living on a fault line doesn't necessarily say you will have an earthquake exactly there, as it will go to the nearest escape route.

wow. This house was moved TEN METRES off their foundation. It seems there is a five foot drop in some areas. 

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/raw-video-chopper-footage-shows-house-north-kaikoura-shoved-10-metres-off-foundations

More international news on quake: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/new-zealand-tsunami-feared-live-9251551

Just a note ... since the forecast is that North Island of NZ will have a quake of a high magnitude (and I'm taking this with 50% confidence) ... if I'm fine ... I will find a way of contacting either the mods, dalbyj, or updating this thread.

Edited by Stormswift