JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Magnitude 7.4 earthquake hits new zealand

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2686 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

South Island moved SIX FEET ... there is land where we didn't have it before. Means the North Island moved as well. (GPS measurements).

We have just had a 5.7 and a 5.9 in quick succession.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

3 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

South Island moved SIX FEET ... there is land where we didn't have it before. Means the North Island moved as well. (GPS measurements).

I am streaming dutchsinse, he confirmed that. .

And another one just now. ..looks to be a busy night,  stay safe. .

Yes it's been more profound lately that specific scripture huh?

1078 aftershocks since the original 7.5 - as at 3.40 pm NZ Time.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I live in Christchurch,  quite close to the epicenter of this quake and I also went through the September 4th 2010 quake (7.1 magnitude) and the February 22nd 2011 quake (6.3 magnitude) and quite frankly I'm getting a little bit tired of the earth moving under my feet!

It is interesting how quickly you learn to tell where a quake is centered just by the feel of it. Sunday night we could immediately tell that this wasn't a regular Christchurch aftershock - Christchurch based quakes tend to be shuddery, like driving fast over judder bars, whereas this quake was more like being on a boat with a rocking motion.  I'm feeling very relieved that we are not feeling many of 1000+ aftershocks that have happened (but also feeling guilty about feeling relieved, it's a complicated emotion*) and the shakes that we feel are also very gentle, last night when one hit it was almost like being rocked to sleep.

Our main route (State Highway 1**)  from Christchurch to Picton (the town where the Inter-Island freight and passenger ferry docks) is completely blocked off. There are alternate routes available which take many hours longer to drive. In my job I deal with many freight companies and ship out orders to places all over New Zealand so today I have been on the phone with these companies checking to see what alternative routes they have in place so my workplace can still keep going.

I saw a photo on a local media site of the main railway line that has completely jumped off part of its route and is lying across the road, and other parts of the line have buckled  .. it really is an amazing sight to see how powerful these quakes can be. 

*Reward: a virtual chocolate fish for whoever can name the movie this quote is from!

**Kiwis are not known for their imagination when it comes to naming things ... 

G'day Dallas! Welcome to our lovely forum!  It's been quite awful to read about all the mess that's happening over the ditch.  I've been to Picton and Wellington and the North Island. The South Island is on my wish list.  All spectacularly beautiful, but all that beauty comes at a geological and seismic cost - and you are experiencing it big time.

Of course, we all are concerned for you friends over there.  And we hope whatever happens, you can avoid the worst of it.  In the meantime, enjoy the distraction here, among friends from all over the world :) 

They will turn their warships into rescue ships.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11748698

Fleet of international warships to help out with earthquake response

A fleet of international warships are bypassing Auckland's historic naval celebrations and heading for Kaikoura to assist with the earthquake response.

They include the first United States warship to visit New Zealand in 33 years.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Hi Dallas! I am glad you, Mandi and other friends are coping with such unpredictable day to day circumstances..no doubt with much prayer! My husband and I live in Daytona Beach, Fl. Our issue is hurricanes..Although stressful, it is sometimes possible to run from them..the problem is that once we ran from the east coast to Tampa on the west coast, and rhe hurricane turned and followed us!!! We had a camping van and went to a campground...Then the authorities said we had to leave, so we ended up in a motel! Right away we encountered a family (not witnesses) that needed comfort..then, since our camper was parked outside, and the power went off, we brought in a flashlight and my husband showed people to their rooms that night. Then in the morning, since there was no power...no COFFEE!!!Therefore, since there was a generator installed in our camper, we went out and made coffee, and brought it in and served it to many guests, even the manager! Well, the manager was so grateful, he insisted on one free night at the motel! Also, he let us place several magazines on each table in the lobby! 

Looking back, I am glad Jehovah helped us keep calm by focusing on comforting others..this was in 2005. Recently for hurricane Matthew, we evacuated Georgia which was just near the edge of the storm. At breakfast in the motel we comforted several couples.also sharing contact cards with them. We could feel Jehovah's spirit and help. One man my husband talked to was  not an evacuee, but attending a business conference! He stopped his Bible Study a year ago and said he would definitely resume it when he got home! What a privilege to help ones among our distresses..brings joy!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Yes Susan they are calling it Earthquake Lightning, and those around the epicentre are reporting seeing that. 

There's a link further up the page/s. Yes we are doing fine in the North, thanks for caring. 

UPDATE:

Very quiet night in the North Island.

Rumblings continue without let up in the upper South Island, although the magnitude has diminished somewhat.

Hopefully things will quieten down now.

Remember we are two major Islands, and the  Top of the South and very bottom tip of the North  is what has been affected, so don't go worrying about us North Islanders until another hits up here. 

It is the South Island brothers and sisters who need your prayers right now.

1 hour ago, Dustparticle said:

I hope everything is all well with the firuends and others.

Just wanted to acknowledge how caring you have been behind the scenes ... thank you. Me impressed. 

I live in an area that rarely/never experiences earthquakes that can be felt so I can't even begin to imagine living in an area where you feel NOT only the earthquake but the 100's or 1000's of tremors that occur before and after.  I pray that there are no fatalities among our brotherhood there.  Seems like NZ has had more than it's fair share of earthquakes this year (as well as Japan and Italy, the Phillipines).  Any damage to Kingdom Halls reported yet? 

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

26 minutes ago, shali said:

I live in an area that rarely/never experiences earthquakes that can be felt so I can't even begin to imagine living in an area where you feel NOT only the earthquake but the 100's or 1000's of tremors that occur before and after.  I pray that there are no fatalities among our brotherhood there.  Seems like NZ has had more than it's fair share of earthquakes this year (as well as Japan and Italy, the Phillipines).  Any damage to Kingdom Halls reported yet? 

Oh good morning my darling sis x

Are most homes in NZ built with earthquakes in mind Mandi?

Just now, Stormswift said:

Oh good morning my darling sis x

Right back at ya! (It's afternoon here but no matter where we live, we are still sisters/twins!)

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

5 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

Hi Dallas! I am glad you, Mandi and other friends are coping with such unpredictable day to day circumstances..no doubt with much prayer! My husband and I live in Daytona Beach, Fl. Our issue is hurricanes..Although stressful, it is sometimes possible to run from them..the problem is that once we ran from the east coast to Tampa on the west coast, and rhe hurricane turned and followed us!!! We had a camping van and went to a campground...Then the authorities said we had to leave, so we ended up in a motel! Right away we encountered a family (not witnesses) that needed comfort..then, since our camper was parked outside, and the power went off, we brought in a flashlight and my husband showed people to their rooms that night. Then in the morning, since there was no power...no COFFEE!!!Therefore, since there was a generator installed in our camper, we went out and made coffee, and brought it in and served it to many guests, even the manager! Well, the manager was so grateful, he insisted on one free night at the motel! Also, he let us place several magazines on each table in the lobby! 

Looking back, I am glad Jehovah helped us keep calm by focusing on comforting others..this was in 2005. Recently for hurricane Matthew, we evacuated Georgia which was just near the edge of the storm. At breakfast in the motel we comforted several couples.also sharing contact cards with them. We could feel Jehovah's spirit and help. One man my husband talked to was  not an evacuee, but attending a business conference! He stopped his Bible Study a year ago and said he would definitely resume it when he got home! What a privilege to help ones among our distresses..brings joy!

Thank you for sharing that experience Elizabeth.  You and your husband brought a little comfort to non-witnesses which made a positive impact for them--and brought honor to Jehovah's name more importantly.

19 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Yes the sea bed lifted up so much that those who love shellfish could just wander along the shoreline and pick up what they liked ... usually you would have to go diving to get the shellfish. The name of the town Kaikoura literally means 'food crayfish' and they are famous throughout NZ for their wonderful seafood!

2 hours ago, shali said:

Are most homes in NZ built with earthquakes in mind Mandi?

I didn't answer this.

YES!! Hence the lack of fatalities etc.   Being an Island country with a good financial enviornment and open to hurricanes, general ocean storms and built on many faults and plate boundaries our homes are very well built. While many built last Century do not have air con ... the structures are very sound.  So we have a lot to be thankful for really.

That is why in places like Haiti, there is more devastation because of the structures not being so sturdy.  I feel very deeply for those in Haiti who are still picking up the pieces of their broken lives. It's almost like the Western world have forgotten them, same as many other third world countries. One of the things about this system that make my blood boil.

But interestingly it took a smaller quake than we experienced the other night to bring Christchurch to her knees with some 185 fatalaties ... but this turned out because the building code had not being adhered to in some buildings - or the buildings were built prior to the current building code. The other contributing cause is the on going aftershocks that continued to weaken structures - all buildings no matter how well built do have a breaking point and many in Christchurch reached their breaking point.  I actually heard not long ago there are STILL a few earthquake victims living their backyards due to The Earthquake COmmision (the avenue to get insurance or at least the first $100,000 of the claim) haven't yet paid out on some. It's a sad situation.

What this highlights to me is, even if the Great Tribulation/Armageddon wasn't coming, mankind is in such a mess there would have been no way out anyway.

Edited by Stormswift

Thank Jehovah none of our brothers was killed in the earthquake. Despite the severity of the earthquake, only two deaths were recorded. 

https://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by-region/new-zealand/earthquake-disaster-20161115/

For Jehovah is aware of the way of the righteous, But the way of the wicked will perish (Psalm 1:6).