JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Magnitude 7.4 earthquake hits new zealand

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2681 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The ministry of civil defence has said the highest waves, which could be as tall as 5m are expected between Malborough, the north-eastern tip of the South Island, and Banks Peninsula, just south of Christchurch.

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

32 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

The NZ earthquake is on the news here as well. They are reporting about evacuating the coastline?

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

Yes they are evacuating the west coast of the South Island and there are isolated evacuations in the Wellington area. There are reports of damage in Manners st and the Terrace in Wellington, and my gut feeling is if there are reports in Wellington it is going to be much worse in the South Island.

It's still only 4.38 am here, so nothing will be known for sure until daybreak.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

The Tsunami warnings have been lifted for Gisborne and East Coast of North Island. Other warnings except in affected area of Kaikoura have been downgraded to marine and beach threats only. Land threat warnings still remain for Kaikoura.

While New Zealand for the most part felt the quake the most affected area is East Coast South Island - Kaikoura, with extensive damage. Injuries being reported, but not clear yet. One quake related death has been reported so far. 

Structural damage in Stadiums in Wellington NZ, all trains and ferries/ships are not running there is damage to the harbour and CBD ... those workiing in Wellington have been asked not to come into work today.

All trains below our city are not running. 

NZ while damaged, has feared very well so far. But hasn't all been assessed as yet.

Going to get a few hours sleep before I go to work.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I can certainly understand why some major highways have been closed:

New Zealand Road.jpg

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/livecoverage/breaking-news-now/lc-AAkf8xp?appwebview=true

As if the monster quake wasn't bad enough:

Storm set to lash earthquake-hit regions

A new storm is fast approaching the country, bearing down on the regions worst affected by this morning's quake.

Niwa is warning the heavy rain and wind is forecast to batter the upper South Island and lower North Island this afternoon through to early Tuesday morning.

MetService has issued a rain warning for northwest Nelson, Buller and Westland north of Fox Glacier. Up to 200m of thundery rain is expected to fall about the ranges and 150mm near the coast.

A heavy rain watch is in force for heavy rain across Nelson, the western ranges of Marlborough and North Canterbury high country.

Niwa is warning the rain may cause flooding which may hinder recovery efforts.

A severe weather warning has been issued for strong winds with damaging gusts up to 140kmh in Wellington, Wairarapa and Marlborough from Monday evening into Tuesday morning.

Talk about critical times, hard to deal with.Yes sad.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Yeah you can't kill weeds Sister Linda haha. Thanks for thinking of me.  Still feeling like we are swaying - I keep thinking it's another earthquake. Most weird. Bad weather looks like it's just about here too, which means South Island is probably already getting it.

it seems the brothers and sisters I know I christchurch are shaken but fine. Not so sure about the ones in actual Kaikoura as it is pretty much blocked off with cell towers and power down.

While it is devastating and a huge quake it could have been a lot worse. If it had hit during the day for instance more would have been out and about. So we just have to hope it is going to die down. From what I can get, we had two very deep quakes North of NZ a day or two ago, and when that happens, pressure is transferred along the plate to a weak point. So for instance if we have a 5.5 100 kms or deeper - that would equate to a much shallower quake of a magnitude more. So a shallow 6.5, but because we had at least TWO deep quakes side by side ... is the reason we got the big one. If you look on googleearth you can follow the plate boundaries, and fissure lines ... and that's where all the quakes happen. It's fascinating, to understand it more.

Going on the amount of deep quakes though it does seem all the pressure isn't released just yet. This is being manifested in smaller quakes in the North Island, Vanuatu and Papua New Guinea. Shall see how correct this theory is in the next few hours/days.

2 minutes ago, Daniel244 said:

Mandi, thanks to Jehovah you are ok. Please share with us any news about our friends over there. May Jehovah soon bring the end to so much hardships.

Agape.

Thank you my dear brother. We are all in this together whatever trials we are enduring ... we can all get there. Unity is a beautiful thing.

1 hour ago, Stormswift said:

Thank you my dear brother. We are all in this together whatever trials we are enduring ... we can all get there. Unity is a beautiful thing.

Thank you for the updates Kiwi, we are all glad that you are OK safe..

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I would just like to comment on how efficient the inernet can be. After the Northridge earthquake in LA we had zero local or outside communication for many hours. We sat in our car totally unaware the situation of our brothers and sisters.  Here we have a sister half way around the world keeping us informed virtually minute by minute through the night and day. It is most amazing.

Thank you  Sister Mandy:squeeze:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

My absolute pleasure (bit tired) but its good to know what is happening when it is happening. Love all of you guys.

Ironically i was awake at the time it happened ... as I wasn't too well ... so just stayed awake. I have about four/five sites up.

I just twigged, I was unwell because i felt dizzy all day yesterday and disorientated -  I wonder ...

Edited by Stormswift

9 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

I just twigged, I was unwell because i felt dizzy all day yesterday and disorientated -  I wonder ...

I've heard that some animals can sense an earthquake before it happens...:whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

*Ignores the turtles agenda

My cat did, she got real jittery ... had my bedroom ranch slider open as it was hot and she ran outside and then quickly ran back and won't go back outside.  She's very clingy.

12 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

My absolute pleasure (bit tired) but its good to know what is happening when it is happening. Love all of you guys.

Ironically i was awake at the time it happened ... as I wasn't too well ... so just stayed awake. I have about four/five sites up.

Sixth sense obviously.

On a local contstruction site one of my men commented on the fact that all the ground squirrels had dissapeared, there had been many. Came to work the next morning and the whole hill side had slid down over our building pad. 

I am sure the squirrels were twigged, dizzy and disorented.

Hang in there Mandi! :D

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.