JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Serena Williams and fiancé expecting first child

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2455 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

6 hours ago, Foxes53 said:

I thought it was interesting this week at our midweek meeting we had a video on 2 individuals that gave up promising careers in football and music. The time and effort in pursuing success plus the non spiritual association make it difficult for an individual to be whole served in serving Jehovah.

I was thinking about this thread when I was watching the video. The guy from Tulsa was apparently the 3rd best rated running back in the Country when he was in high school and could have grown to be a million dollar back but instead he chose to serve Jehovah, go to Bethel, get married and pioneer now. The lady was apparently great as a singer. From what people said in the congregation, she had an opportunity to go to one of the best singing schools in the Country, although I never heard of it before as I really never was in to that kind of music. I liked the ladies comment about not having two souls so couldn't serve both whole souled. Both gave up possible lucrative careers to serve Jehovah.

20 minutes ago, M&M said:

The guy from Tulsa was apparently the 3rd best rated running back in the Country when he was in high school and could have grown to be a million dollar back but instead he chose to serve Jehovah, go to Bethel, get married and pioneer now.

Our CO told us the brother is now a CO in Michigan USA.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 5/21/2017 at 5:49 AM, Pjdriver said:

There are many young men and women who have knowledge of the truth but have never been baptized. They get involved with the world and even end up in an immoral relationship. They usually stop going to meeting and we generally forget about them....because we know they have made their decision. If they put forth some effort and show an interest in coming to the truth we extend a hand. Williams sisters seem to be in that catagory. 

Now that she has a child and as she gets older she may develope a more rational perspective on things. We don't like what she is doing, we don't condone it at all. We also have to be careful we don't write her off. 

The problem with talking about a specific person on a forum like this is it can be construed as gossip or maybe meddling in someone else business is a better way to put it.

True she's made herself a public figure...but that doesn't mean we have to discuss her personal life and criticize or support her.

Those of us who have children who have strayed understand they are on very dangerous ground and have made a terrible choice. But we would not like the congregation discussing and criticizing  them very specifically when they gather together in their homes or on an Internet forum. 

I believe her parent/parent are still witnesses. Out of respect for them we might want to avoid it. 

I've  never had anyone ask me about these girls being witnesses and behaving badly but if someone does....i'll just tell them she is not a member of the congregation. I think she favors JW's  as far as religions go, but she is currently doing her own thing.

I think most people understand that.

My sentiments exactly. Anyone can use Jehovah's name to thank or praise God.  She learned God's name as a child and continues to use it.  Good for her. Some may go so far as to claim they are a JW because they may acknowledge or be aware of the differences as being  part of their upbringing as opposed to some other silly religion.  Once you learn there is no hellfire for example, it's silly to acknowledge something that is vanity.  (Matthew 15:9)  However, she is unbaptized, like 7, 499,000,000 people in the world (approx. see   http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/  ).  We leave her alone.  If the media wants to spread what they are good at doing, i.e. sensationalism, it will only further bring awareness to Jehovah and his organization, whether negative or not.

Edited by alohapaulette

I stand corrected, Shawn and Mike. Former president Eisenhower was the son of one of Jehovah's Witnesses. And I know the conversation when Jesus said that those without sin should cast the first stone is spurious but the principle still stands. Many people ask us if we are not proud that people in the entertainment or sports world profess to serve our God, but we still need to caution them that these people may know the name of our God, but that they do not represent Him. 

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting.

[ 4. She FaceTimed Ohanian to wish him a happy birthday in April of 2016. As a Jehovah's Witness, she doesn't acknowledge or celebrate birthdays so he knew it was a big deal that she was recognizing his. ]

21 hours ago, M&M said:

Interesting.

[ 4. She FaceTimed Ohanian to wish him a happy birthday in April of 2016. As a Jehovah's Witness, she doesn't acknowledge or celebrate birthdays so he knew it was a big deal that she was recognizing his. ]

Probably time to keep in mind that she is not a JW. 1. We seem to find no evidence that she was baptized, 2. Participation in birthday celebration, indicate she is not and constitutes a statement that she dissacoiates herself from us. 

Edited by carlos

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

That's what they are printing in this magazine about her but only we know different.Screenshot_20170630-084249.thumb.png.d6f7b2d0f0161ebb3220cdcce16173dd.png

Edited by loving life

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

Sexual Immorality?  Didn't we just cover this in this weeks Digging for Spiritual Gems?  And one more thing, Serena is pregnant without marriage.  And I heard last night her sister killed an old man and injured his wife in a car accident and it was her fault.  The family of the elderly man she killed are suing her.  

3 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

And I heard last night her sister killed an old man and injured his wife in a car accident and it was her fault.  The family of the elderly man she killed are suing her.  

Let's not presume to judgment,  none of us know exactly what happened, it's not our place say anything about this accident except that it is tragic.

There is someone that does know what happened,  let's leave it in his hands. ..

Who is presuming judgement?

The facts of the accident are well known.

She ran a red light and someone was killed.

No charges have been filed.

read the news.

7 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Let's not presume to judgment,  none of us know exactly what happened, it's not our place say anything about this accident except that it is tragic.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/venus-williams-sued-fla-car-crash-killed-78-year-old-article-1.3290939

In essence the other driver T bones Ms. Williams' car per this report, the other driver will bear some of the liability too.   In any event, its  a sad situation for all involved. Remember Ms. Williams was not charged. 

Our lessons the last few weeks talk about "not having all the facts", we should not jump to any conclusions, the law will work it out. 

16 hours ago, Old said:

Who is presuming judgement?

The facts of the accident are well known.

She ran a red light and someone was killed.

No charges have been filed.

read the news.

So, your own personal eyewitness account is in agreement with the majority of the other eyewitnesses? 

I have seen a few accidents,  I hope that I never see another one.  Every thing happens so quickly , in an instant a life is changed. ..

What was your vantage point when Mz Williams ran the red light? I hope you weren't in any danger. ..

Will they provide you with traveling expenses and rooming?

I would certainly hope that they would want all the eyewitnesses there as soon as possible,  some memories can fade quickly..

As for reading the news, this particular piece didn't come up in my radar, I don't care enough about it to look..sorry. ..

On 7/1/2017 at 0:41 AM, tekmantwo said:

WOW! Just saw a video on the news that seems to show it might not have been her fault?

Clearly there is a real mixture of feelings involved here, some coming down on one side of the issue. And others on the other side. I am glad for the clarification on their stand as a witnesses, that neither her nor her sister are baptized or active in their congregation. Indeed that would be difficult thing to balance.  Their tennis superstar status and the responsibility of meetings and field service. Not to mention the conflicting positions their fame would put them in. However since Serena is now pregnant she is at least engaged to the future father of her child. At least that is a step in the right direction. And now with her imminent  prospect of becoming a mother this should give her time to think seriously about where she is going in her life. With at least her partial knowledge of the truth this should make it doubly so. So at least these things form a basis of hope she will now get her life straightened out and take a firm stand for the truth. It has been the catalyst for others in similar circumstances. Time will tell. But at the same time she become a public example of this conventions warning: "Remember the wife of Lot". The same can be said now too with her sister Venus. After her very public accident in which one in the other party was killed, her celebrity has made it all the more an ordeal. At least she showed clear remorse at being a party to another's death. And according to the media this week, she appears to have been cleared of being at fault in the accident.

I believe the most Christian position we can take toward both them is to offer prayers to Jehovah in their behalf. That these experiences they are both having now in their lives might draw them back into a close relationship with Jehovah. What a public witness that would be !

GStorrs46