JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Does Our Sun Have a Name?

sun-spin-e1420472903945.jpg

http://earthsky.org/space/what-is-the-suns-name?

Although it’s a star – and our local star at that – our sun doesn’t have a generally accepted and unique proper name in English.

We English speakers always just call it the sun.

What a silly question.:uhhuh:

Of course our sun has a 'unique proper' name.  Jehovah gave each of the billions and billions of stars he created a name.:o

He counts the number of the stars;

He calls all of them by name.

--- Psalm 147:4 ---

Just cuz we puny humans don't know the sun's name doesn't mean it is nameless.^_^

Silly scientists.:uhhuh:

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Lunatic came from the root word luna, meaning moon, also the Latin word lunaticus which originally referred mainly to epilepsy and and madness as diseases thought to be caused by the moon.

Lunatic originally meant someone who went crazy with every phase of the moon, kind of like a werewolf.

Most people don't believe in moon-caused insanity, but we still talk about lunatics, sometimes meaning clinically insane people.

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I don't know, but I did find this article to be interesting.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/do-full-moons-and-supermoons-really-affect-human-animal-behavior/61402994

Also, my son-in-law is a paramedic and he says there are far more crimes, accidents, et on or about the time of a full moon.

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

1 hour ago, Dove said:

the time of a full moon

In winter, the full moon phase are quite often the coldest nights.

Now back to Sol. Name of people who fly ( fiction ) around or near sun are called  

Solarnauts. :sunshine:

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

15 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

sun-spin-e1420472903945.jpg

http://earthsky.org/space/what-is-the-suns-name?

What a silly question.:uhhuh:

Of course our sun has a 'unique proper' name.  Jehovah gave each of the billions and billions of stars he created a name.:o

Just cuz we puny humans don't know the sun's name doesn't mean it is nameless.^_^

Silly scientists.:uhhuh:

Our "star" has a name, it's the sun.  Even it's maker uses that name.  I don't get it. It's like asking "Who's buried in Grant's tomb?"

15 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

So......are you gonna tell? ...it's not nice to leave us hanging like that, you know.....

.《I kid》(I heard, somewhere,  that Mr. Grant isn't in there. )

Well, if you don't know that answer, what color is the White House?

Per Wikipedia

The English proper name Sun developed from Old English sunne and may be related to south. Cognates to English sun appear in other Germanic languages, including Old Frisian sunne, sonne, Old Saxon sunna, Middle Dutch sonne, modern Dutch zon, Old High German sunna, modern German Sonne, Old Norse sunna, and Gothic sunnō. All Germanic terms for the Sun stem from Proto-Germanic *sunnōn.[19][20]
The English weekday name Sunday stems from Old English (Sunnandæg; "Sun's day", from before 700) and is ultimately a result of a Germanic interpretation of Latin dies solis, itself a translation of the Greek ἡμέρα ἡλίου (hēméra hēlíou).[21] The Latin name for the Sun, Sol, is not common in general English language use; the adjectival form is the related word solar.[22][23] The term sol is also used by planetary astronomers to refer to the duration of a solar day on another planet, such as Mars.[24] A mean Earth solar day is approximately 24 hours, whereas a mean Martian 'sol' is 24 hours, 39 minutes, and 35.244 seconds.[25]

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have always believed that the Sun is called 'Sol', the Moon 'Luna' and the Earth 'Terra'. But apparently those are just poetic names nowadays. The official names astronomers use are the Sun, the Moon and the Earth (capitalized).

That reminds me of a small Caribbean island with only two small towns separated by a mountain. The mountain was called 'the Mountain', one town was called 'Town' and the other was 'The Other Town'. They didn't have any more mountains or towns, so they didn't really need a proper name for them. :lol:

I wanted to name our dog 'Dog'. In case we had another dog, we could always call him 'Dog 2'. But my wife didn't let me. :whistling:

27 minutes ago, carlos said:

I wanted to name our dog 'Dog'. In case we had another dog, we could always call him 'Dog 2'.

I always wanted to name a dog 'Moreover' as in 'Moreover the dog shall return...' :D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Per Wikipedia
The English proper name Sun developed from Old English sunne and may be related to south. Cognates to English sun appear in other Germanic languages, including Old Frisian sunne, sonne, Old Saxon sunna, Middle Dutch sonne, modern Dutch zon, Old High German sunna, modern German Sonne, Old Norse sunna, and Gothic sunnō. All Germanic terms for the Sun stem from Proto-Germanic *sunnōn.[19][20]
The English weekday name Sunday stems from Old English (Sunnandæg; "Sun's day", from before 700) and is ultimately a result of a Germanic interpretation of Latin dies solis, itself a translation of the Greek ἡμέρα ἡλίου (hēméra hēlíou).[21] The Latin name for the Sun, Sol, is not common in general English language use; the adjectival form is the related word solar.[22][23] The term sol is also used by planetary astronomers to refer to the duration of a solar day on another planet, such as Mars.[24] A mean Earth solar day is approximately 24 hours, whereas a mean Martian 'sol' is 24 hours, 39 minutes, and 35.244 seconds.[25]

I believe 'sun' is a title rather than a name, and in many languages it is preceded by 'the', that is, the sun - 'solen' (Swedish), much like 'the king' or 'the president'. That is not to say it never had a name. In many cultures it did. In fact, the title 'sol' is derived from the roman name for the Greek god Helios (lat., Solis). The International Astronomical Union has never sanctioned a proper name for the sun. What is more, there are many suns out there, stars with planets or alike circling around them, some of them with proper names.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

6 hours ago, carlos said:

I wanted to name our dog 'Dog'. In case we had another dog, we could always call him 'Dog 2'. But my wife didn't let me. :whistling:

Dawg. :bouncing:

6 hours ago, carlos said:

I have always believed that the Sun is called 'Sol', the Moon 'Luna' and the Earth 'Terra'.

Good old Terra Firma, the more Firma the less Terra :upsidedown:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

6 hours ago, Snowkitty said:

That's from the movie 'The Biscuiteater '

Really? I didn't know that. Thanks!