JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

16 hours ago, jwhess said:

The media section has just updated many, many publications.  My Iphone got very warm just processing this material.

But why refresh the video and change nothing. i watch a video i download months ago and compared it to the video on Jw.org, and there was no change. 

Or was the picture or audio clearer?

But why refresh the video and change nothing. i watch a video i download months ago and compared it to the video on Jw.org, and there was no change. 

I guess the A/V brothers and sister in quarantine have been busy in the technical side.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

6 hours ago, Luigi62 said:

I noticed that sometimes the publication or media gets marked as updated, but in reality, the file itself has actually not changed at all. I use WinMerge to check the difference previous and new versions of the files. Sometimes I use this program to see what has changed. You would be surprised to see how many times it comes up and it says: “No changes have been made between the two files.”

Not saying that this is the case in this media updates. Since I don’t have the videos downloaded in JWL, there’s no way I could compare them.

On 6/22/2020 at 1:56 PM, jwhess said:

The media section has just updated many, many publications.  My Iphone got very warm just processing this material.

I wondered if they had reduced the video file sizes but available storage on my iPad and iPhone was the same after all the updates.

(720p on iPad, 360/240p on iPhone.)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

50 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

I wondered if they had reduced the video file sizes but available storage on my iPad and iPhone was the same after all the updates.

(720p on iPad, 360/240p on iPhone.)

My guess is it was a cumulative refresh.  You probably did not have other languages downloaded and maybe they had more material upgraded or added.

Anyone else having any trouble with the new nwtsty 100mb DL. My Android just won't do it. It shows as needing an update - starts - but never complets it. I've burnt 1GB just trying...?

I went to our site, and the 85mb version is older than what I have. (that cost me 85mb to find out)

Old (Downunder) Tone

1 hour ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

Anyone else having any trouble with the new nwtsty 100mb DL. My Android just won't do it. It shows as needing an update - starts - but never complets it. I've burnt 1GB just trying...?

I went to our site, and the 85mb version is older than what I have. (that cost me 85mb to find out)

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

No, it seems fine, updated quickly. Android.

On 7/2/2020 at 4:01 AM, jwhess said:

My Windows PC updated the Study Bible and my Iphone did also.  They were quick and complete. My Ipad and my wife's Ipad show no update on the Bible yet.

what's new in the Study Bible?

On 7/1/2020 at 7:01 PM, jwhess said:

My Windows PC updated the Study Bible and my Iphone did also.  They were quick and complete. My Ipad and my wife's Ipad show no update on the Bible yet.

I wonder if the JW LIBRARY ever be compatible with the Mac books? Mac Book users would like to have it installed on our devices too. 

2 hours ago, Guri said:

I wonder if the JW LIBRARY ever be compatible with the Mac books? Mac Book users would like to have it installed on our devices too. 

Br. Guri, eventually all of my Apple Ipad and Iphone devices updated the Study Bible this week.

As to the Mac...I am not a Macintosh person.  My only experience with them was when our old sound system  used a Mac as the A/V computer.  In the past, our software library was not compatible. I know some were able to get various emulators or virtual drives to try to get some of it to run.

1 minute ago, jwhess said:

Br. Guri, eventually all of my Apple Ipad and Iphone devices updated the Study Bible this week.

As to the Mac...I am not a Macintosh person.  My only experience with them was when our old sound system  used a Mac as the A/V computer.  In the past, our software library was not compatible. I know some were able to get various emulators or virtual drives to try to get some of it to run.

jwhess, 

Yes, same here, JW Library is up to date on my iphones and ipads but no genuine software for the mac yet. I know about the various emulators/virtual drives, I had ones and was't happy with it, it would not work as smoothly as it should have.  Would be nice to have genuine JW Library on the Mac Book. Thank you for the reply. 

Part of the problem is user base.  Currently, only 9% of the world runs Mac and most of the rest is Windows (plus 1% Linux).  When I had a computer assembly, repair and store business back in the 1990s, I would be asked if I had any mac products. I would point to the store window that looked out onto the main street and ask the customer if he would build his business around the 95 people that walked by or just the 5 that liked Mac?  I could not affors to isolate myself in that manner (not to talk about the restrictions Apple put on parts and software purchase and refusal to allow outside repairs.

dedicated 

So maybe it is just allocations of resources at Bethel.  We started with IBM in the 1970s and have added the Ipad/Iphone.  Maybe Mac later but since LDC was instructed to go to Windows a year or two ago, I doubt it.

Apple are gradually making the process of modifying iPad/iPhone apps to work on macOS more simple. Perhaps JW Library will eventually be available on macOS, if the modifications required are straight forward. (Personal speculation.)

(Actually I am doubtful, because JW Library is deliberately being kept compatible with older iOS versions, and I expect the above would require the latest Apple operating systems.)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

1 minute ago, Luigi62 said:

That like 2 months old and thats apart of the 2013 bible as well. not Study bible exclusive.

I don't think the audio files are included in the bible file since you can download them separately. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D