JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Selective Service for women a possibility?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2378 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I don't know how reliable Washington Times is, about as iffy as any other news site I guess, I don't know a lot about it I just found this interesting : Commission for modern military to consider skills-based draft, women’s roles, millennial recruitment (since the site is iffy and freezes I'm just gonna post some of the article here, hope that's okay)

The members elected as chairman former Rep. Joseph Heck, a Nevada Republican, physician and actively drilling Army Reserve brigadier general whose current assignment is the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Gen. Heck, who was appointed by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Kentucky Republican, said he expects the panel to receive weeks of briefings and start conducting field hearings and tours next year.

“The purpose behind the commission and the issue defined by Congress is, ‘How do we increase the desire, the propensity, the ethos for public service in today’s youth?’” Mr. Heck told The Washington Times.

The panel, he said, “will evaluate how the Selective Service currently operates and whether or not it should be changed to represent the 21st-century needs of the nation: who should have to register, whether it should be based on skill sets, whether it should just be for a military purpose or a more general purpose for national and public opportunities as well.”

Debra Wada, who held posts as a Democratic staffer for the House Armed Services Committee and an assistant Army secretary for manpower, is the vice chairwoman for military service. Former Peace Corps Director Mark Gearan is co-chairman for public service. Members were sworn in Sept. 19-21 during organizational meetings.

National service is defined as federal and state government jobs. Public service is defined as jobs in private organizations.

When military recruiters refer to today’s youths, they are talking about the oft-studied millennial generation that first reached young adulthood in the early 2000s. Millennials are sometimes profiled as self-centered “snowflakes” who protect their emotions, love cyberdevices and shun public service.

“You have a very small percentage of Americans who are serving,” said commission member Thomas Kilgannon, president of Freedom Alliance in Northern Virginia. He was appointed by House Speaker Paul D. Ryan, Wisconsin Republican.

The military’s active reserve force is about 2.1 million. The top brass call the force the best in history but lament the shrinking pool of recruits.

This is just a small part of the article, and I was wondering does this look like they're getting to redo the selective services to include both genders and a wider range of ages or is it just another debate in the white house?

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

I don't know how reliable Washington Times is, about as iffy as any other news site I guess, I don't know a lot about it I just found this interesting : Commission for modern military to consider skills-based draft, women’s roles, millennial recruitment (since the site is iffy and freezes I'm just gonna post some of the article here, hope that's okay)

The members elected as chairman former Rep. Joseph Heck, a Nevada Republican, physician and actively drilling Army Reserve brigadier general whose current assignment is the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Gen. Heck, who was appointed by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Kentucky Republican, said he expects the panel to receive weeks of briefings and start conducting field hearings and tours next year.
“The purpose behind the commission and the issue defined by Congress is, ‘How do we increase the desire, the propensity, the ethos for public service in today’s youth?’” Mr. Heck told The Washington Times.
Selective Service currently operates and whether or not it should be changed to represent the 21st-century needs of the nation: who should have to register, whether it should be based on skill sets, whether it should just be for a military purpose or a more general purpose for national and public opportunities as well.”
Debra Wada, who held posts as a Democratic staffer for the House Armed Services Committee and an assistant Army secretary for manpower, is the vice chairwoman for military service. Former Peace Corps Director Mark Gearan is co-chairman for public service. Members were sworn in Sept. 19-21 during organizational meetings.
National service is defined as federal and state government jobs. Public service is defined as jobs in private organizations.
When military recruiters refer to today’s youths, they are talking about the oft-studied millennial generation that first reached young adulthood in the early 2000s. Millennials are sometimes profiled as self-centered “snowflakes” who protect their emotions, love cyberdevices and shun public service.
“You have a very small percentage of Americans who are serving,” said commission member Thomas Kilgannon, president of Freedom Alliance in Northern Virginia. He was appointed by House Speaker Paul D. Ryan, Wisconsin Republican.
The military’s active reserve force is about 2.1 million. The top brass call the force the best in history but lament the shrinking pool of recruits.

This is just a small part of the article, and I was wondering does this look like they're getting to redo the selective services to include both genders and a wider range of ages or is it just another debate in the white house?

The Washington Post has a good reputation in journalistic circles. Still, you need to use good judgement and compare with other reputable news sources that might or might not agree with your world view.

Any day now...

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Thought this was interesting from the Selective Service FAQ section:

Yes. All undocumented immigrant males 18 through 25 years of age, other than those admitted on non-immigrant visas, must register, whether or not they have a green card.

Edited by boodles

A commission to study something is not the same thing as a law passed. They have commissions that study all types of things that never get past the “study”.

I imagine this to will be an item they "study', but that goes nowhere.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I say let those who wanna go sign up and leave the rest of us people alone - that goes for any age, male or female. Send the ones who want to go fight and leave us be. :lol:

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

9 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Despite all the talk about gender equality, there are some areas where the majority of women do not want to be treated as equals. 

I say either put up or shut up. Either these people need fully embrace equality or not.  Otherwise, they are hypocrites. 

9 hours ago, cricket246 said:

I say let those who wanna go sign up and leave the rest of us people alone - that goes for any age, male or female. Send the ones who want to go fight and leave us be. :lol:

We obviously don't have a dog in this fight but if I did, it would be just like these posts. If I had an opinion,  it would sound like this:

I would love to see female fighter plane pilots. Their eyesight is better and their reaction time is quicker. A one on one, all else equal,  the female will win..

As for ground, combat troops, sure, why not? The Israelis do it, and the Kurds, I would let them serve in a combat role if they wanted to.  I wouldn't want one to try and carry a man off the field, I don't believe that would work so well. Other than that,  a rifle don't care who pulls it's trigger. .. let them get into that exciting arena of dirt and mud and human body parts exploded all to bits, I bet it wouldn't be long and there either would be less combat, or less females that want to be in combat.

That is all I want to say about that. ..

4 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

We obviously don't have a dog in this fight but if I did, it would be just like these posts. If I had an opinion,  it would sound like this:

It's a good thing we don't even have opinions on how the world manages it's military forces, especially in a public forum..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 hours ago, cricket246 said:

I just want them to leave me and my friends out of it! ^_^ But of course Satan will find ways to go after Jehovah's people in as many avenues as possible...sigh...

And, if the selective service,  or draft,  is made a law for either gender here in the  United States,  we have plenty of modern day examples of faith and strength, along with all of the inspired history and prophetic fulfillments, to keep us confident that we will be fine. I ain't gonna spit in anyones face but I love knowing who's talons we're sitting underneath. ...:thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Tortuga said:

It's a good thing we don't even have opinions on how the world manages it's military forces, especially in a public forum..

You are absolutely correct. 

The only thing I feel about military people is that I pity them, because they were lied to, and they are willing to let other people decide when and how they die...They bought into the lie and they are proud of it, mostly. It's sad...they  will slaughter each other, barbaricly, over multi-colored rags...Incomprehensible. 

I've heard war described as  a game, a horrible game where old men barter young men's lives for glory and power.

I really don't understand how some people can love that,  to do those things they do, to other human beings.  It sickens me...

Here in the USA, I expect the military draft to return someday. As they said in the posted article, fewer people are entering the military and an all volunteer force is dependant on having enough volunteers. If they fail to get enough, expect to feel a draft.  Any military adventures will speed up the return of the draft. I see in the news that the USA is considering recalling a thousand former pilots due to a shortage. Now what could they need a thousand pilots for? We seem to be getting increasingly close to the end of this system.

Here in the USA people like to say that Republicans don't believe in global warming while Democrats don't believe in chromosomes. The current craziness of that the two sexes or how ever many they think there are at the moment, are all the same, would require that all would be drafted equally. That is what political correctness would require. The world has gone truly mad and is getting crazier each day. Never thought Satan's world would get so confused that they would no longer know the difference between a man and a woman or create imagined other sexes that they think are real. Even the people of Sodom would be shocked by the things going on today.