JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Huge Rise in Major Earthquakes Expected Next Year

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2326 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

19 minutes ago, Ferb said:

I don't think he could have done much math to back that up.  Let's assume for the sake of argument that the Earth's core is made of plasma - it's usually thought to be solid rock, but I suppose that can't have been directly observed.  

Motherhen set me straight on this. I did not know the molten core was referred to as plasma, but it is. 

Earth's molten liquid iron core is considered plasma. 

This is different, though, than electrical plasma that makes lightening or sparks from electrical outlet.  Flames may also be a different type of plasma. 

Blood is definitely a different type of plasma. 

Edited by Shawnster

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Motherhen set me straight on this. I did not know the molten core was referred to as plasma, but it is. 

This is different, though, than electrical plasma that makes lightening or sparks from electrical outlet.  Flames may also be a different type of plasma. 

Having done a search for 'plasma definition', 'plasma in geology', 'earths core plasma', it doesn't seem like earths core is widely considered to be plasma - there are more proponents of the theory than I thought, but it doesn't seem like a popular view.  As I said, whether it's true or not isn't something that can be directly observed, so I'd be willing to grant him that assumption - and if he's only speaking about plasma in the sense of the other examples you mention, being partially ionized, it's less of an outlandish claim than it at first sounded, though when he says 'a plasma behaving as a solid' (I looked him up while searching), it still basically sounds to me like he's describing ordinary metal, which always has a fairly loose grasp on its electrons, and that wouldn't be enough to constitute a plasma.  But it doesn't make the rest of the claim make any more sense.  Whether the core is solid, liquid, gas, or fully ionised plasma, it's still big, highly energized, and heavily insulated from any electrical activity on the surface by miles and miles of earth, and the LHC is still a relatively minor consumer or emitter of energy compared to all the others on the planet.  It's like the question about whether what effect we would have on the earth if we all stood in one place and jumped.  We're so small compared to the Earth, even billions of us put together, we can't possibly have a measurable effect on the earth like that - and neither can the LHC.

And apart from blood, the things mentioned do seem to be the same kind of plasma, from the sources I've looked at - some things are just more so than others.  It's like the difference between solid and liquid - there are times when it's a bit of a grey area between the two, like toothpaste or cream, but I wouldn't say those things are a 'different type' of liquid or solid, more that they are just partway between the two.  As things go from solid to liquid to gas to plasma, there are often some in-between things which are hard to classify - and flames or electrical sparks are still mainly gas, but partway toward being plasma.  The stuff seen in a plasma-ball still isn't fully plasma, but it's quite a bit closer.  I don't know of anywhere on earth where you'd find fully ionized, 100% plasma - well, at the Joint European Torus tokamak facility, apparently.  Which looks like a cool place to visit on one of its open days, but 3 or 4 hours drive from me, so that's probably unlikely.  Maybe we'll have one in the new system, huh?

5 hours ago, Shawnster said:

So, lava is earth blood?

Volcanoes are just big bleeding wounds?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I haven't gone back to re-watch Dutch's videos,

but I am pretty certain he was talking about the amount of energy they release

into the earth when they discharge the stored electrical energy from all those

electromagnets that are used to bend the beams.

large-hadron-collider.jpg.1ccaeac2939d60b8c613a212f0300657.jpg

All the magnets on the LHC are electromagnets.

The main dipoles generate powerful 8.3 tesla magnetic fields –

more than 100,000 times more powerful than the Earth’s magnetic field.

The electromagnets use a current of 11,080 amperes to produce the field,

and a superconducting coil allows the high currents to flow without losing

any energy to electrical resistance.

In an accelerator, particles circulate in a vacuum tube and are manipulated
using electromagnetic devices: dipole magnets keep the
particles in their nearly circular orbits, quadrupole magnets focus
the beam, and accelerating cavities are electromagnetic resonators
that accelerate particles and then keep them at a constant energy
by compensating for energy losses.

Magnets: There is a large variety of magnets in the LHC, including
dipoles, quadrupoles, sextupoles, octupoles, decapoles, etc. giving a
total of about 9600 magnets. Each type of magnet contributes to
optimizing a particle’s trajectory. Most of the correction magnets are
embedded in the cold mass of the main dipoles and quadrupoles.
The LHC magnets have either a twin aperture (for example, the main
dipoles), or a single aperture (for example, some of the final-focus
triplet quadrupoles). Insertion quadrupoles are special magnets used
to focus the beam down to the smallest possible size at the collision
points, thereby maximizing the chance of two protons smashing headon
into each other. The biggest magnets are the 1232 dipoles.

The magnet coils for the LHC are wound from a cable consisting
of up to 36 twisted 15-mm strands, each strand being made up
in turn of 6000-9000 individual filaments, each filament having
a diameter as small as 7 micrometres (for comparison, a human
hair is about 50 micrometres thick). The 27-km circumference of
the LHC calls for some 7600 km of cable, corresponding to about
270 000 km of strand — enough to circle the Earth six times
at the Equator. If all the component filaments were unravelled,
they would stretch to the Sun and back five times with enough
left over for a few trips to the Moon.

Each beam consists of nearly 3000 bunches of particles and each
bunch contains as many as 100 billion particles. The particles are
so tiny that the chance of any two colliding is very small. When
the bunches cross, there are up to 40 collisions between 200 billion
particles. Bunches cross on average about 30 million times per
second, so the LHC generates about 1 billion particle collisions per
second.

A beam might circulate for more than 10 hours, travelling more
that 10 billion kilometres, enough to get to the planet Neptune
and back again. 

The total energy in each beam at maximum energy is about
350 MJ, which is about as energetic as a 400 t train, like the
French TGV, travelling at 150 km/h.

It's estimated that the yearly energy cost of running the LHC is €19 million.

I'm glad I don't have CERN's electric bill. 

Another interesting CERN fact about the super electromagnets:

Each of the 6000-9000 superconducting filaments of niobium–titanium
in the cable produced for the LHC is about 0.007 mm thick, about
10 times thinner than a normal human hair. If you added all the filaments
together they would stretch to the Sun and back six times with enough left
over for about 150 trips to the Moon.

Oops.  Forget to note source: http://cds.cern.ch/record/2255762/files/CERN-Brochure-2017-002-Eng.pdf

Edited by Friends just call me Ross

Forgot to include source of info

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

1 hour ago, Ferb said:

Whether the core is solid, liquid, gas, or fully ionised plasma, it's still big, highly energized, and heavily insulated from any electrical activity on the surface by miles and miles of earth, and the LHC is still a relatively minor consumer or emitter of energy compared to all the others on the planet. 

I was working on the electric fence in my horses' pasture one beautiful sunny summer day.

Two of my younger brothers were 'helping' me.

I kept getting jolted, even though I knew I had unplugged the electric fencer.

My brothers found it extremely amusing and I actually accused them of sneaking back to the barn 

and plugging the fencer back in.

Later that day, a sister who lived over twenty miles away phoned to ask if our hay had gotten ruined

by the thunderstorm.  

I told her we didn't get a thunderstorm.

She said it lightninged like crazy over her way.

That's when it occurred to me that I must have been getting zapped by the lightning from that storm

twenty miles away.

I checked my electric fencer.  It has a range of up to twenty miles.

There are electric fencers with ranges up to two hundred miles.

I think earth must be a very good conductor of electricity if a jolt from a fencer can 

touch an animal two hundred miles away and travel back through the ground to the fencer's

ground cable.

System_Line_Art.gif

Also, some think powerful geomagnetic storms can cause an increase in earthquake activity.  Who knows?

solar-winds-hole-sun%20(1).jpg

Jehovah knows. ^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Nice article on the theory at this link http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/rockyplanet/2017/11/19/earths-spin-earthquakes-2018/#.WhcMxGhMHxA

This is a very soft theory in terms of hard evidence. While the slight variation in the earth's rotational rate, undoubtedly has an effect on earthquakes, the effect is probably very slight. I would not expect much of anything up tick in large earthquakes next year due to this effect. For earthquakes caused by other effects, all bets are off, considering the times we live in.

I will admit that I live in fear of a bigger effect that would much worse. If one or more of the large Ice Sheets in Antarctica were to suddenly surge into the sea, a large mass would be moved towards the equator. This would be like spinning very quickly and then slowing yourself by putting out you arms. ThIngs at the equator have more rotational speed then something sitting at one of the poles and just turning in place. A large northward movement by an Ice Sheet in Antarctica would transfer mass fron the south pole area to the oceans all over the planet as the sea level rose due to the Ice surging from the land into the water. This would impart a braking twist to the rotational speed of the earth. It would be an uneven slowing like putting your hands on the top and bottom of a ripe peach and twisting it apart.

If this should happen, bear in mind there would be a large rise in sea level and earthquakes all over the world as every fault is twisted. I have this event filed away with super volcanic eruptions, large comet impacts and major nuclear war, as an event too destructive to occur since events on this level would destroy human civilization and we know that the nations survive until they are destroyed by Jehovah at Armageddon.

On the theory of the earth having a plasma core or outer core, simple Internet nonsense.

A plasma is a ionized gas, meaning the orbiting elections have left their "orbits" and  mix freely in the super heated gas. Plasma is the forth state of matter, solid, liquid, gas and plasma. A plasma is a very hot gas. If you want to see some, look at the sun. That is what plasma looks like.

Now since plasmas are hotter, then are less dense than games under the same pressure just as gases are far less dense than liquids which are generally less dense than solids. Due to density, heavier things tend to sink to bottom while lighter this gs rise to the top. Due to the light density, it is impossible for their to be plasma in the center of the earth. Since plasma like gas, doesn' t carry shear waves as in earthquakes, any such pockets inside the earth would appear in as voids inside the earth in seismic surveys of the earth's interior, and no such voids have ever been detected. Mind you, the interior of the earth's structure has been well mapped over the years.

The theory linking CERN to earthquakes is more Internet nonsense. As someone pointed out, the energy output of the CERN accelerators are nothing compared to the energy in even a very small earthquake, and of course there is no plasma inside the earth to be excited. 

Ross, lighting creates electromagnetic waves, or as you know them, radio. You can hear lighting along way away on an AM radio. It is that crackling static you hear. Just as your radio or TV antenna picks up some of the energy in those waves, your electric fence wires did the same. The passing electromagnetic wave induced a voltage in the fence wires. The longer the wires the more voltage they pick up. This how electric current is created, in a generator a magnetic field is created and moved across wound wires. 

4 hours ago, Wm-Scott said:

If one or more of the large Ice Sheets in Antarctica were to suddenly surge into the sea

Ferb, you bring up some interesting points.  Now I'm thinking, how far have human activity contributed to the ice sheets breaking off (calving, as they put it)? I mean in the sense of seeing more than the usual amount of calving. The north ice caps are definitely melting faster than they should, as are the Himalayan glaciers (third pole).  So Jehovah will be stepping in before this cataclysm from Antartica is possible.

On 11/20/2017 at 2:33 PM, SheyZ said:

I was also thinking that with all the fracking going on all over the world there are more earthquakes in the past and in a place like Oklahoma for instance 3.2 1 a day is pretty nerve-wracking and that's a great problem for them

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Yes!  Having been in the Northridge earthquake of Jan 1994 then moving to Oklahoma in 2009 I thought I had just escaped earthquakes and would only deal with tornadoes!  You have heard the saying  “Jumping from the frying pan into the fire.”  Although the size of the EQ is not anything near what we experienced in LA the frequency is almost daily -no matter how slight it’s a constant reminder.  My senses are really in tune with EQ’s now.  I can feel them and make comment and others will say I didn’t fell anything.” Then in a while News will update the time and magnitude. Lol

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:37 PM, Friends just call me Ross said:

That's when it occurred to me that I must have been getting zapped by the lightning from that storm

twenty miles away.

A bolt of lightning can cause a static electric charge in a wire.  You do not want to be working on wiring with a thunderstorm within several miles from where you are.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:37 PM, Friends just call me Ross said:

I think earth must be a very good conductor of electricity if a jolt from a fencer can 

touch an animal two hundred miles away and travel back through the ground to the fencer's

ground cable

There is a difference in electrical charge between the positively charged wire and the ground.  When you touch the wire your body becomes the conductor between the wire and the ground. The current does not have to travel for miles, just from the negative ground to the positive wire (through your body).  Since electrons are negative the direction of current technically is from negative to positive.  I have had a hard time explaining to  people that electricity is the flow of electrons and the flow is from negative (excess electronics) to positive (fewer electronics).