JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Broadcasting for February 2018

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2263 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Well, as usual it took my a while to get to actually watching the monthly broadcast. We have our Circuit Overseer this week, so things have been a little busy. But I took the time this evening to see it.

I was surprised to see Brother Reino Kesk interviewed in the Pioneer School video (at the 36:24 mark). I didn't realize he is now serving at the Korea branch. The last I had heard he was in Estonia. (yb11 pages 233-4, 240, 241, 243 {photo in printed edition}, 252, 255) Here is my background meeting Brother Kesk.

Here's a question, but not about this particular monthly broadcast. It comes across in almost all the monthly broadcasts, and this month's is not an exception.

Did you notice when the brother is doing the principal talk of the broadcast, he looks directly at the camera all the way through the talk? Most of the time in our Kingdom Halls during the public talk, the brother will look down at his notes from time to time, maybe even most of the time. That can vary from one brother to another, depending on their ability to recall from memory most of the talk and maintain audience contact. But on the monthly broadcast, the brother always looks at the camera, with the exception of when he looks to read a scripture. Isn't that amazing? How does he do that? Does he memorize the entire talk? Does he read it from cue cards that are right next to the camera? The latter is not likely, since you don't see his eyes shift from one side to the other as he goes line to line. He is looking directly into the camera's lens at every moment. Have you taken note of that before? What are your thoughts?

2 hours ago, rocket said:

Teleprompter !

It seems one of the videos showed some 'behind the scenes' shots and showed the teleprompter.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 hours ago, Victoria said:

My thought is that they read the text on the screen like in the TV news.

5 hours ago, rocket said:

Teleprompter

It's the latest thing in optometry.  Development done by Google,  it's a cybernetic eye orb. Data streams in your eyes,  controlled by vision direction and jaw switching. ..

Or a teleprompter.....:D

13 hours ago, Sheep said:

Here's a question, but not about this particular monthly broadcast. It comes across in almost all the monthly broadcasts, and this month's is not an exception.

Did you notice when the brother is doing the principal talk of the broadcast, he looks directly at the camera all the way through the talk? Most of the time in our Kingdom Halls during the public talk, the brother will look down at his notes from time to time, maybe even most of the time. That can vary from one brother to another, depending on their ability to recall from memory most of the talk and maintain audience contact. But on the monthly broadcast, the brother always looks at the camera, with the exception of when he looks to read a scripture. Isn't that amazing? How does he do that? Does he memorize the entire talk? Does he read it from cue cards that are right next to the camera? The latter is not likely, since you don't see his eyes shift from one side to the other as he goes line to line. He is looking directly into the camera's lens at every moment. Have you taken note of that before? What are your thoughts?

As others have said, the speaker uses a teleprompter. But at the same time, to your point, he prepares and gets very familiar with what he is talking about so that he can be comfortable reading. This allows him to gesture and adjust his tone in line with what he is reading. I cannot imagine a brother seeing his material for the first time when he's recording the broadcast.

Edited by Bob

1 hour ago, Bob said:

As others have said, the speaker uses a teleprompter. But at the same time, to your point, he prepares and gets very familiar with what he is talking about so that he can be comfortable reading. This allows him to gesture and adjust his tone in line with what he is reading. I cannot imagine a brother seeing his material for the first time when he's recording the broadcast.

While I agree with you, Make allowance for holy spirit.  I have seen brothers handed an outline for a talk they have never seen before after arriving at a Circuit Assembly. After saying a prayer and a couple hours reviewing the outline, giving a talk one would think they had given a dozen times before.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

51 minutes ago, rocket said:

While I agree with you, Make allowance for holy spirit.  I have seen brothers handed an outline for a talk they have never seen before after arriving at a Circuit Assembly. After saying a prayer and a couple hours reviewing the outline, giving a talk one would think they had given a dozen times before.

Sure, but being well-prepared does not mean one isn't making allowance for Holy Spirit. In fact, brothers pray for Holy Spirit to help them to prepare well!

Also -- we're all very well trained from the TMS to be good, extemporaneous speakers.  It's a great skill - but not uncommon.  Newscasters are often reading news for the first time but have developed the skills to read in a very conversational way, even if they haven't gone over the material before.

For our brothers and sisters who are on camera, they no doubt have had preparation with the material in advance.  But, I believe holy spirit and our years of School training helps enhance the ease we see.  :) 

Although we want to think only the best of our brother, they are 100% using teleprompter. It's been caught on camera on few of broadcasts.

I can't remember without searching first, but I think there was a video where brother Stephen Lett was explaining about the translations of the monthly broadcast, and there you can see the teleprompter on camera. I'll let you know when I find it.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

I cannot imagine a brother seeing his material for the first time when he's recording the broadcast.

They are definitely familiar with the talk, since it's the host who is making up the talk. They have the freedom to choose a topic that they like, and then the video department will make sure to find and put together material that is bases on the talk..

But yeah, the brother giving the talk is very much familiar with the talk, since its him who put it together.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

On 2/7/2018 at 10:37 PM, rocket said:

Teleprompter !

On 2/8/2018 at 5:12 AM, WilliamChew said:

According to wikipedia this is how a teleprompter works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleprompter

On 2/8/2018 at 11:36 AM, Bob said:

16 hours ago, And_Ray said:

I've been busy with the Circuit Overseer's visit this week, so no time to catch up here. But WOWW!!! Thank you for all the explanations in the meantime! I thought they must be reading it, but I always wondered why their eyes don't shift side to side while they're reading each line. The shifting must be so slight the camera doesn't even pick it up.

As for Brother Ciranko's talk, I think they did that in several "takes." His Bible's bookmarks change in each scene between scriptures so he has the scripture he needs. (There are only two bookmarks in a Bible, right?)

There is one exception (that I found) where the speaker does not always look at the camera. It was David Splane's talk on accuracy from the November 2017 broadcast. He seems to make frequent glances at an outline.