JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2017

katielou

Saturday, September 30

The wind blows where it wants to, and you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it comes from and where it is going. So it is with everyone who has been born from the spirit.—John 3:8.

Those who have been invited in such a manner may wonder: ‘Why have I been selected? Why me and not someone else?’ They may even question their own worthiness. But they do not question the fact that they have been invited. Their hearts are bursting with joy and appreciation. They feel much as did Peter when he said under inspiration: “Praised be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, for according to his great mercy he gave us a new birth to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an incorruptible and undefiled and unfading inheritance. It is reserved in the heavens for you.” (1 Pet. 1:3, 4) When anointed ones read those words, they know without any doubt that their heavenly Father is speaking to them personally. w16.01 3:11, 12

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Excellent Vernalee!  I also found this statement from a 1988 Awake Article:

*** g88 2/8 p. 26 Who Are “Born Again”? ***
Difficult to grasp? Jesus knew that understanding spiritual truths is not easy. So in order to make things clearer, he used an illustration about the wind. “The wind blows where it wants to, and you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it comes from and where it is going. So is everyone that has been born from the spirit.” (John 3:8) Nicodemus could hear, feel, and see the effects of the wind, but he could not understand its source or its final destination. Yet, the reality of the wind was beyond question. Similarly, those who lack spiritual insight would find it difficult to grasp how Jehovah, by means of his spirit, could cause a person to be born again and what the ultimate destiny of such a one would be. However, with the help of inspired Bible writers, we can comprehend such matters.—John 16:13.

Sunday, October 1

Those whom he foreordained are the ones he also called.—Rom. 8:30.

Jehovah began choosing anointed ones after Jesus’ death and resurrection, and it seems that all in the first-century Christian congregation were anointed. From the first century until the beginning of the last days, the vast majority of those who claimed to follow Christ were false Christians; Jesus likened them to “weeds.” Even so, Jehovah continued to anoint some faithful ones throughout that time, and they proved to be like the “wheat” Jesus described. (Matt. 13:24-30) During the last days, Jehovah has continued to select those who will make up the 144,000. If he chooses to wait until late into that period to select some for that privilege, who are we to question his wisdom? (Isa. 45:9; Dan. 4:35; Rom. 9:11, 16) We must be careful not to react like the disgruntled workers who complained about the way their master dealt with the 11th-hour workers.—Matt. 20:8-15. w16.01 4:15

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Monday, October 2

Take, please, your son, your only son whom you so love, Isaac, and travel to the land of Moriah and offer him up there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains that I will designate to you.—Gen. 22:2.

God does not make such requests of us today. But he does ask us to obey him even when his commands are hard for us to comply with or we cannot comprehend the reasons for them. Can you think of something that God asks of you that you find difficult to do? For some, it may be the preaching work. Perhaps they struggle with shyness, making it hard for them to approach strangers with the good news. For others, it may be the challenge of standing out as different, perhaps at school or in the workplace. (Ex. 23:2; 1 Thess. 2:2) Do you ever feel like Abraham, as if you are trudging up that slope in Moriah, facing a task that seems beyond you? If you do, take courage from Abraham and his faith! Meditating on examples of faithful men and women can move us to imitate them and draw close to Jehovah as our Friend.—Heb. 12:1, 2. w16.02 1:3, 14

21 hours ago, GrumpysWife said:

Monday, October 2

Can you think of something that God asks of you that you find difficult to do?

I think we all have something we can work on in this regard.  It may be something small or something big, but knowing that the we sacrifice for Jehovah should make us feel good that the changes we make please him and he sees those efforts and appreciates what we do. 

Tuesday, October 3

Saul . . . spoke to Jonathan his son and to all his servants about putting David to death.—1 Sam. 19:1.

Because Saul was determined to kill David, Jonathan faced a conflict of loyalties. Although he had made a covenant with David, Jonathan was also submissive to his father. But Jonathan knew that God was with David and not with Saul. Therefore, Jonathan put loyalty to David ahead of loyalty to Saul. He warned David to hide and then spoke well of him to Saul. (1 Sam. 19:1-6) If we are not careful, loyalty to a nation, a school, or a sports team can eventually choke out loyalty to God. For example, Henry enjoys playing chess. His school had a tradition of winning the championship, and he wanted to put forth his best effort. But he admitted: “Gradually, loyalty to the school began to take priority over my loyalty to God. Weekend chess matches were crowding out my Kingdom service. So I decided to give up being part of the chess team.”—Matt. 6:33. w16.02 3:10, 12

16 hours ago, GrumpysWife said:

Tuesday, October 3

But Jonathan knew that God was with David and not with Saul. Therefore, Jonathan put loyalty to David ahead of loyalty to Saul. 

I may be over the top with this one but reading this text this morning it made be think of the scripture that talks about hating our families. 

Luke 14:26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.

Jonathan knowing Jehovah no longer supported his father Saul put his loyalty to David who was a true worshipper of Jehovah. 

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

Wednesday, October 4

Your people will offer themselves willingly.—Ps. 110:3.

As a young person, there are ways in which you will be able to discern whether your decision to get baptized comes from your heart. For example, your heartfelt desire to serve Jehovah will be reflected in your prayers. How often you pray and how specific your prayers are may well reveal how close your relationship with Jehovah is. (Ps. 25:4) An important way that Jehovah answers our prayers is by directing our attention to his Word. Thus, our effort to study the Bible is yet another indication that we really want to draw closer to Jehovah and serve him from the heart. (Josh. 1:8) So ask yourself: ‘How specific are my prayers? How regular is my personal study of the Bible?’ And if your Christian family has a Family Worship evening, ask yourself: ‘Do I willingly share in that arrangement?’ Your answers to these questions will help you to see whether your decision to get baptized is your personal desire. w16.03 1:11, 13

Text touches homes about being aware of things that could interfere with us making sure our service and loyalty to Jehovah is our first priority. Jonathan went against his flesh and blood, his father, because of his loyalty to Jehovah.  At times we may be faced with the same situation. Who are we going to be loyal to? May our answer always be to Jehovah and if not, may we ask Jehovah to help us. 

Very deep text today. It made me think about my prayers to Jehovah now, while I'm not facing persecution. Do I see myself saying the same thing sometimes and not really supplicating my heart to Jehovah? Am I taking advantage of daily Bible reading and preparing for all the meetings? Doing this now will help me draw closer to him so that I'm giving the Holy Spirit something to call back to memory. It will help me to go to him in prayer without hesitation when the trials, tribulations, and persecution starts. Another area for me to work on. 

Thursday, October 5

From him all the body is harmoniously joined together and made to cooperate.—Eph. 4:16.

What a thrill it is to read in the Yearbook the combined results of our activity! Think, too, of how we are united at regional, special, and international conventions, as we listen to motivating Scriptural talks and give attention to dramas and demonstrations. These parts often highlight God’s loving appeal to serve him with all our being. The commemoration of Jesus’ death also unites us. With appreciation for God’s undeserved kindness and in obedience to Jesus’ direction, we gather for that event yearly, after sundown on Nisan 14. (1 Cor. 11:23-26) And in the weeks before the Memorial, we cover as much of our congregation’s territory as possible, inviting others to join us for that important occasion. Our individual efforts might seem insignificant. But by working together, we are able to direct the attention of millions of people to the one who deserves all praise and honor, Jehovah! w16.03 3:4, 6, 7

Paul likens the congregation to a human body. A human body is made up of many different members, but has just one head. However, nothing in the body—not a muscle, not a nerve, not a vein—is useless. Each member is valuable and contributes something to the health and beauty of the whole. Similarly, the congregation is made up of many different members, but each member—whether young or old, strong or frail—can contribute something to the overall spiritual health and beauty of the congregation. No one need feel that he is too insignificant to matter. At the other extreme, none should feel superior, for we all—shepherds and sheep alike—are part of the body, and there is but one head, Christ.

Friday, October 6

This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved.—Matt. 3:17.

Brothers who are learning to serve in the congregation should be taught to think in terms of Bible principles. For example, suppose an elder asks a brother to keep the entranceway to the Kingdom Hall clean in appearance and safe for walking. He could consider Titus 2:10 and explain how the brother’s work to enhance the Kingdom Hall will “adorn the teaching of our Savior, God.” He could also ask the learner to think of the elderly ones in the congregation and how carrying out his assignment will benefit them. Having such conversations with the learner as part of his training will help him to focus more on people than on rules. He will experience the joy that comes from seeing how brothers and sisters in the congregation benefit from the service he renders. Further, the elder should commend the learner for the effort he makes to apply the suggestions. Sincere commendation does for a learner what water does for a plant—it makes him thrive. w15 4/15 2:7, 8

Saturday, October 7

The Lord will rescue me from every wicked work.—2 Tim. 4:18.

Have you at times felt all alone in dealing with a difficult situation? It could have been lack of employment, pressures at school, a health problem, or some other distressing circumstance. Perhaps you asked for assistance, but others disappointed you by falling far short of providing what you needed. Indeed, some problems simply cannot be solved by mere human help. Under such circumstances, is the Bible’s counsel to “trust in Jehovah” empty advice? (Prov. 3:5, 6) Is it meaningless? Certainly not! Divine help is very real, as illustrated by numerous Bible accounts. Therefore, rather than nurture resentment when human help appears to be limited, view such situations as the apostle Paul did—as opportunities to rely fully on Jehovah and experience firsthand his loving care. This will strengthen your trust in him and make your relationship with him ever more real. w15 4/15 4:3-5

Yes, the elders should do their part by commending the brothers for their fine efforts in caring out their assignments in a way that honor Jehovah. We too can also offer commendation. We can encourage them and let them know that Jehovah is pleased with the work they are doing for the congregation and for him. We can also thank our elders for shepherding the flock, because they too have a lot of responsibilities. We must remember these are imperfect men appointed by Jehovah. The appointment by Jehovah should move us to be patient and encourage them as well as others in the congregation. 

Sunday, October 8

The god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers.—2 Cor. 4:4.

Only by being deceptive can Satan turn people against the loving God, Jehovah. (1 John 4:8) Through deception, Satan keeps people from becoming “conscious of their spiritual need.” (Matt. 5:3) He has thus “blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.” One of Satan’s greatest means of deception is false religion. How pleased he must be to see people worship their ancestors, or nature, or animals—anyone or anything other than Jehovah, “who requires exclusive devotion”! (Ex. 20:5) Even many who think that they are worshipping God properly are shackled to false beliefs and useless rituals. They are in a pitiable state, much like that of those whom Jehovah implored: “Why spend your earnings for what brings no satisfaction? Listen intently to me, and . . . find great delight in what is truly rich.”—Isa. 55:2. w15 5/15 1:14, 15

Monday, October 9

He will crush your head, and you will strike him in the heel.—Gen. 3:15.

Abel likely gave much thought to that promise and realized that someone would be ‘struck in the heel’ so that mankind could be lifted to perfection such as that enjoyed by Adam and Eve before they sinned. Abel had faith based on God’s promise, and Jehovah therefore accepted his sacrifice. (Gen. 4:3-5; Heb. 11:4) Noah survived the Deluge because of his faith. (Heb. 11:7) After the Flood, he was moved by faith to offer animal sacrifices. (Gen. 8:20) Like Abel, he undoubtedly had faith that mankind would eventually be released from bondage to sin and death. As he entered the dark post-Flood era during which Nimrod acted in opposition to Jehovah, Noah still had faith and hope. (Gen. 10:8-12) Very likely, he would have been heartened to think about mankind as being set free from oppressive rule, inherited sin, and death. We too can “see” such a wonderful time—and it is near indeed!—Rom. 6:23. w15 5/15 3:4, 6

Tuesday, October 10

Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs it down, but a good word cheers it up.—Prov. 12:25.

Uncontrolled anxious thoughts can cause us physical and spiritual harm. Let us trust in Jehovah and remember the words of today’s text. Good words of encouragement from someone who understands us can make our heart rejoice. Confiding in our parents, our spouse, or a trusted friend who views things from God’s standpoint may help to relieve our anxiety. No one understands our anxiety better than Jehovah does. “Do not be anxious over anything,” wrote Paul, “but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving, let your petitions be made known to God; and the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus.” (Phil. 4:6, 7) Think about those who are helping to protect us from spiritual harm—fellow believers, elders, the faithful slave, angels, Jesus, and Jehovah himself. w15 5/15 4:16, 17

Because we are all imperfect humans, its likely that we will face some anxiety. It's easy to say to pray to Jehovah, but if prayer is not part of our regular routine we will become overly anxious and it could cause physical or spiritual harm. So, my aim is to increase my heartfelt prayers, so that my first thought will be to go to Jehovah first and not rely on myself.

Thursday, October 12

You must pray . . . this way.—Matt. 6:9.

The expression “our Father,” not “my Father,” reminds us that we belong to an “association of brothers” who truly love one another. (1 Pet. 2:17) What a precious privilege that is! Anointed Christians, who have been begotten as God’s sons with heavenly life in view, rightly address Jehovah as “Father” in the fullest sense. (Rom. 8:15-17) Christians whose hope is to live forever on earth can also address Jehovah as “Father.” He is their Life-Giver, and he lovingly provides for the needs of all true worshippers. Those with this earthly hope will in the fullest sense become God’s children after they have reached perfection and have proved their loyalty in the final test. (Rom. 8:21; Rev. 20:7, 8) Parents give their children a fine gift when they teach them to pray and help them to view Jehovah as a caring heavenly Father. Parents can give their children no greater gift than that of helping them to develop a warm, close relationship with Jehovah. w15 6/15 4:4-6

How encouraging at the Annual Meeting we had new understanding about praying for the sanctification of our Father's name and the vindication of his sovereignty. When we address Jehovah as our FATHER  it reflects that we have an intimate, respectful relationship with him. It helps us to draw close to him. This gives us confidence that he wants to hear our prayers. 

Friday, October 13

Deliver us from the wicked one.—Matt. 6:13.

To live in harmony with the request “deliver us from the wicked one,” we must strive to be “no part of [Satan’s] world.” We must “not love either [Satan’s] world or the things in the world.” (John 15:19; 1 John 2:15-17) Doing so is an ongoing struggle. What a relief it will be when Jehovah answers this request by removing Satan and causing his wicked world to pass away! We must remember, though, that when Satan was hurled out of heaven, he knew that his time was short. Enraged, he does all he can to make us break our integrity. So we must keep praying for deliverance from him. (Rev. 12:12, 17) Do you desire such a happy outcome? Then continue to pray for God’s Kingdom to sanctify God’s name and cause his will to be done on earth. Look to Jehovah to supply your spiritual and physical needs. Yes, be determined to live in harmony with the model prayer.—Matt. 6:9-13. w15 6/15 5:12, 17, 18

That "temptation" is all of the things that Satan dangles in front of us to keep us from wholeheartedly serving Jehovah. We must be careful that we don't fall prey even to the smallest things. We must pray for deliverance. We must not forget to never neglect feeding from our spiritual table because that will help us fight off Satan's schemes.   

Saturday, October 14

There will be great tribulation.—Matt. 24:21.

Although we do not fully understand all that will happen during that time of test, we can expect that it will involve some measure of sacrifice. In the first century, Christians had to leave behind their possessions and endure hardships in order to survive. (Mark 13:15-18) To remain faithful, will we be willing to experience material loss? Will we be ready to do whatever is required of us to prove our loyalty to Jehovah? Just think! At that time, we will be the only ones following the example of the ancient prophet Daniel by continuing to worship our God no matter what. (Dan. 6:10, 11) This will not be the time to preach the “good news of the Kingdom.” That time will have passed. The time for “the end” will have come! (Matt. 24:14) No doubt God’s people will proclaim a hard-hitting judgment message. This may well involve a declaration announcing that Satan’s wicked world is about to come to its complete end. w15 7/15 2:3, 8, 9