JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2017

katielou

So wine is good for my anxiety-fuelled sickness then... :raspberry:

I know it's a worldwide text for the day, but interesting that it's come at this time for me, because there's been a lot of talk about a product which is supposed to be incredible (almost a miracle for some) for fibro. I don't personally have a need for it, but it's all I seem to see or hear about at the moment from some people. :unsure:

Sunday, October 29

Christ died once for all time for sins, a righteous person for unrighteous ones.—1 Pet. 3:18.

Because of inherited sin, we are all facing the death penalty. (Rom. 5:12) Lovingly, Jehovah arranged for Jesus to come to the earth and “taste death for everyone.” (Heb. 2:9) Not only did Jehovah save our present life but he laid the basis for wiping out the cause of death forever. (Isa. 25:7, 8; 1 Cor. 15:22, 26) All who exercise faith in Jesus will receive everlasting life in peace and happiness as earthly subjects of God’s Kingdom by Christ or, for the anointed, as corulers in that Kingdom. (Rom. 6:23; Rev. 5:9, 10) What other blessings are included in this gift from Jehovah? Jehovah’s gift includes the curing of all our sicknesses, the transformation of our earth into a paradise, and the resurrection of the dead. (Isa. 33:24; 35:5, 6; John 5:28, 29) We surely love Jehovah and his dear Son for giving us what is an “indescribable free gift.”—2 Cor. 9:15. w16.01 2:5, 6

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Monday, October 30

You people must be born again.—John 3:7.

Before receiving this personal witness from God’s spirit, anointed Christians cherished an earthly hope. They longed for the time when Jehovah would cleanse this earth, and they wanted to be part of that blessed future. Perhaps they even pictured themselves welcoming back their loved ones from the grave. They looked forward to living in the homes that they built and eating the fruitage of trees that they planted. (Isa. 65:21-23) Why did their thinking change? They did not become dissatisfied with that hope. They did not change their mind because of emotional stress or turmoil. They did not give up on this earth, as if they suddenly felt that they would find living forever on earth to be tiresome or boring; nor did they merely want to explore some new frontier in heaven. Rather, they changed because of the operation of God’s spirit that not only called, or invited, them but also changed their thinking and hope. w16.01 3:11, 13

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Tuesday, October 31

Working together with him, we also urge you not to accept the undeserved kindness of God and miss its purpose.—2 Cor. 6:1.

Jehovah is the Supreme One, the Creator of all things, the One possessing infinite wisdom and power. Job came to understand that. After Jehovah questioned Job about His works of creation, Job replied: “I know that you are able to do all things and that nothing you have in mind to do is impossible for you.” (Job 42:2) Though Jehovah can accomplish whatever he sets out to do—without assistance—he has from the very beginning lovingly invited others to work along with him to achieve his purpose. God’s first creation was his only-begotten spirit Son. Jehovah allowed his Son to share in all further works of creation, both spirit and material. (John 1:1-3, 18) Thus, Jehovah honored his Son both by including him in the works of creation and by telling others about his Son’s important role.—Col. 1:15-17. w16.01 5:1, 2

Wednesday, November 1

Abraham breathed his last and died at a good old age, old and satisfied.—Gen. 25:8.

When we read that Abraham was “old and satisfied,” let us not conclude that he had had his fill of life, so to speak, and had no desire to live in the future. The Bible says of Abraham: “He was awaiting the city having real foundations, whose designer and builder is God.” (Heb. 11:10) Can you imagine how thrilled Abraham will be to live in the earthly Paradise and go on strengthening his friendship with Jehovah? How touched he will be to learn that his example of faith helped Jehovah’s servants throughout thousands of years after his death! In Paradise he will even learn that the way Isaac was restored to him was “illustrative” of something far greater. (Heb. 11:19) And he will learn that the pain he suffered as he prepared to sacrifice Isaac has helped millions of faithful people to imagine Jehovah’s own pain as he provided his Son, Jesus Christ, as the ransom.—John 3:16. w16.02 1:15, 16

Thursday, November 2

You son of a rebellious woman, do you think I do not know that you are choosing to side with the son of Jesse, to your own shame and to the shame of your mother?—1 Sam. 20:30.

Our loyalty to Jehovah may be challenged if someone in a responsible position misjudges us. Jonathan may have faced such a challenge. King Saul, the anointed of God, was aware of his son’s friendship with David, but he did not understand the reason for it. Saul humiliated Jonathan in an angry outburst. However, Jonathan did not retaliate. He did not waver in his loyalty to God or to David, who would in time become Israel’s king. (1 Sam. 20:31-41) In congregations of Jehovah’s people today, it is very unlikely that we would be treated unjustly. However, those taking the lead among us are imperfect men and could misinterpret our actions. (1 Sam. 1:13-17) If we are ever misjudged or misunderstood, let us remain loyal to Jehovah. w16.02 3:14, 15

Friday, November 3

If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake.—Matt. 16:24.

Some might be confused about the difference between dedication and baptism. For example, some young people say that they have made a dedication to Jehovah but are not ready to get baptized. Does that make sense? Making a dedication means telling Jehovah that you will serve him forever. At baptism, a person shows others that he is dedicated. Therefore, baptism is a public expression of a private dedication that you have already made in prayer to Jehovah. Before you get baptized, you need to be sure that you understand what dedication means. Simply stated, when you dedicate your life to Jehovah, you give up ownership of yourself. You promise Jehovah that you will put the doing of his will ahead of everything else in your life. Any promise should be taken seriously, but how much more so a promise made to Jehovah God!—Matt. 5:33. w16.03 1:14, 15

My baptism was May 11, 1997.  Just a few days before it my teacher said 'Oh, I forgot to tell you about dedication!'  She explained it to me so later, on the way home from my daughters wedding, I made my formal dedication to my creator while driving back to LA. It was a 4 1/2 hr dedication!  

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

19 hours ago, GrumpysWife said:

Friday, November 3

If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake.—Matt. 16:24.

Some might be confused about the difference between dedication and baptism. For example, some young people say that they have made a dedication to Jehovah but are not ready to get baptized. Does that make sense? Making a dedication means telling Jehovah that you will serve him forever. At baptism, a person shows others that he is dedicated. Therefore, baptism is a public expression of a private dedication that you have already made in prayer to Jehovah. Before you get baptized, you need to be sure that you understand what dedication means. Simply stated, when you dedicate your life to Jehovah, you give up ownership of yourself. You promise Jehovah that you will put the doing of his will ahead of everything else in your life. Any promise should be taken seriously, but how much more so a promise made to Jehovah God!—Matt. 5:33. w16.03 1:14, 15

I made my dedication in 99, but reaffirmed it in 2013.  I was standing before my thermal evaporator in the lab, and I was thinking about what Jehovah was holding out to me.  I said I'll sleep in the dirt for you if I have to, and I'll give up my life if you ask it.  Meant every word of it, and still do.  

Saturday, November 4

Let us by love grow up in all things.—Eph. 4:15.

Using the example of the human body, Paul focused on unity under the head of the congregation, Jesus Christ. The apostle spoke of cooperating “through every joint that gives what is needed.” (Eph. 4:16) How can each of us, whether young or old, strong or frail, contribute to the unity and spirituality of the congregation? A key is to submit ourselves to and respect those whom Jesus has designated to provide direction in the congregation, the elders. (Heb. 13:7, 17) We may not always find this easy to do. However, we can with confidence request God’s guidance. His active force can help us to support the congregation arrangements wholeheartedly. So if we on occasion do not feel inclined to follow the direction given, we should reflect on how our humbly cooperating will contribute to the unity in the congregation. Furthermore, cooperating in matters like these will likely help all of us to grow in love. w16.03 3:8, 9

Sunday, November 5

The word of God is alive and exerts power.—Heb. 4:12.

While they were growing up, some young brothers were not encouraged to pursue spiritual goals. The truth never came first in the life of such young ones. (Matt. 10:24) Therefore, an elder should take time to develop a friendly relationship with a brother he wishes to train for congregation privileges and let him know that he is needed in the congregation. Then, over the course of time, the elder should sit down with the brother to reason on specific scriptures and help him think about his dedication to Jehovah. (Eccl. 5:4; Isa. 6:8; Matt. 6:24, 33; Luke 9:57-62; 1 Cor. 15:58; 2 Cor. 5:15; 13:5) The elder might ask him, ‘What did you promise Jehovah when you dedicated yourself to him?’ He could try to stir his heart by asking, ‘How do you think Jehovah must have felt when you got baptized?’ (Prov. 27:11) ‘What were Satan’s feelings?’ (1 Pet. 5:8) Elders should never underestimate how deeply a brother can be affected by the reading of carefully selected Bible passages. w15 4/15 2:9, 11

Monday, November 6

Throw all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you.—1 Pet. 5:7.

Why does Jehovah not give us an immediate response to our every request? Recall that he likens our relationship with him to that of children with a father. (Ps. 103:13) A child cannot rightly expect a parent to grant every request or to do so right away. Some of a child’s requests may be mere passing whims. Others must wait till the time is right. Still others may not be in the child’s best interests or in the best interests of others involved. Furthermore, to concede immediately to a child’s every request would change the relationship to one of master and slave, the child being the master. Similarly, Jehovah may in our best interests allow time to pass before his response to our prayers becomes evident. That is his prerogative as our wise Creator, loving Master, and heavenly Father. Fulfilling all our requests right away would distort the proper relationship between us and him.—Isa. 29:16; 45:9. w15 4/15 4:6, 7

Tuesday, November 7

Oppose the Devil, and he will flee from you.—Jas. 4:7.

As we near the end of this system of things, Satan wants us to relax our guard, to “be kind” to ourselves by carving out a niche in this world, thus losing our sense of urgency. Do not let that happen to you! Instead, “keep on the watch.” (Matt. 16:22, 23; 24:42) Never believe Satan’s deceptive propaganda that the end is far off—or that it is not coming at all. Satan tries to have us believe that from God’s standpoint we are unlovable and our sins are unforgivable. That is all part of Satan’s deceptive propaganda. After all, who is particularly and really unlovable in Jehovah’s eyes? It is Satan. Who is really unforgivable? Again, it is Satan. But the Bible assures us: “God is not unrighteous so as to forget your work and the love you showed for his name.” (Heb. 6:10) Jehovah appreciates our efforts to please him, and our service is not in vain. (1 Cor. 15:58) So let us not be fooled by Satan’s deceptive propaganda. w15 5/15 1:16-19

Wednesday, November 8

They saw them from a distance and welcomed them.—Heb. 11:13.

Abraham had so much evidence to demonstrate the reality of what he hoped for that it was as if he could see what he had not actually beheld! Abraham’s faith in God’s promises strengthened his resolve to do the divine will. Acting in faith, he left the city of Ur and refused to take up permanent residence in any of the cities of Canaan. Like Ur, they had shaky foundations because of their ungodly governments. (Josh. 24:2) For the rest of his long life, Abraham “was awaiting the city having real foundations, whose designer and builder is God.” (Heb. 11:10) Abraham “saw” himself living in a permanent place governed by Jehovah. Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, and others like them believed in the resurrection of the dead and looked forward to life on earth under God’s Kingdom, “the city having real foundations.” Reflecting on such blessings bolstered their faith in Jehovah.—Heb. 11:15, 16. w15 5/15 3:8, 9

Thursday, November 9

Christ is the power of God.—1 Cor. 1:24.

Jehovah displayed his power through Jesus Christ in extraordinary ways. The four Gospels provide faith-strengthening details about some of the miracles that Christ performed. Likely, he performed many other miracles. (Matt. 9:35; Luke 9:11) Yes, God’s power was manifested in Jesus. For good reason, then, the apostle Paul could say about him: “Christ is the power of God.” Yet, what bearing can Jesus’ miracles have on our life? The apostle Peter said that Jesus performed miracles, or “wonders.” (Acts 2:22) The powerful works that Jesus did on earth were foregleams of even grander blessings to come under his kingly rule. They foreshadow the miracles that Jesus will perform in God’s new world on a global scale! His miracles also give us tremendous insight into his personality and that of his Father. w15 6/15 1:1, 2

We can be confident that these are not words from men, but from Jehovah. It is essential that we read his Word daily to build our faith and relationship with him and it allows us to bring comfort to others. I've also personally experienced the elders sharing a fitting, comforting scripture with me at a sherperding call. God's Word is a powerful tool. 

Satan will use family, work, illnesses, disagreements or misunderstandings, extracurricular activities, etc. to distract us from maintaining our service and loyalty to Jehovah and preaching about his kingdom. Since we are aware of his tactics, we want to make sure we are doing everything to keep our spiritual armour on and ready to defend ourselves. Personal study, meeting attendance, field ministry, and our daily Bible reading. It's a struggle sometimes, but it's great to know Jehovah will help us and we have support from friends who love & serve Jehovah. 

Friday, November 10

She kept saying: “If I touch just his outer garments, I will get well.”—Mark 5:28.

Realizing that it was his Father, Jehovah, who had healed the woman, Jesus treated her kindly, saying: “Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace, and be healed from your grievous sickness.” (Mark 5:34) How kind Jesus is! We see that he has a warm place in his heart for those who suffer from illnesses. Satan wants to convince us that we are unloved and worthless. By his miracles, Jesus clearly proved that he truly cares about us and our problems. What a sympathetic King and High Priest! (Heb. 4:15) It may not be easy for us to understand the feelings of those who suffer from a chronic illness, especially if we have never experienced such. We can bear in mind that Jesus empathized with the sick even though he himself was never sick. May Jesus’ example move us to do the same, to the best of our ability.—1 Pet. 3:8. w15 6/15 2:11, 12