JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Stephen C Myer Books and ID org

• 2 weeks later...

The first time I watched a YouTube video showing how there are 'machines' in our body's

cells, I was completely blown away.

1989311079_BlowsMyMind.gif.178b75a40db5eb074389aabcf898936b.gif

Oh...and...

This is what Brother Tony's latest nick name looks like on my desktop and phone: 

1014499022_ScreenHunter_02Oct_2610_46.gif.7ba5c484391a91b4a8e37800168548c9.gif

:D 

Edited by Friends just call me Ross

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

• 1 month later...

I have just finished reading Michael Denton’s book The Miracle Of The Cell.  An excellent book and I highly recommend it.

His conclusion is that right from the origin of the universe, the chemicals were designed for carbon-based lifeforms to exist.

The elements of Hydrogen, Oxygen, Carbon, Nitrogen react so well together and the electrical bonds between them are absolutely perfect for life. Add transitional metals, particularly iron - the most abundant element on earth - but also sodium, potassium, calcium and everything indicates that the universe was designed from the start for the existence of highly complex carbon-based life.

You may find some of the chemistry a bit heavy at times, but he keeps it to a minimum and focusses on explaining things for non-experts.

Now I am starting on Michael Behe’s “A Mousetrap For Darwin”

• 2 months later...

I came across this 13 part series today.

I have watched the 1st episode and it seems quite good.

I hope the remaining episodes do not sidetrack on non-related topics...

It focuses primarily on getting life from non living parts. (I.e. pre-evolution)

It may prove to be a good resource to point interested ones to. 

Enjoy.

Watch "Episode 1/13: Introduction to Abiogenesis // A Course on Abiogenesis by Dr. James Tour" on YouTube

Please post any warnings here if you come across content on this 13-part series that you feel may confuse 'new interest'. (I would not like to stumble them.)
We may be able to warn/ head-off any issues. Tia

Old (Downunder) Tone

Dr J Tour.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article:

Answering Another Objection to Intelligent Design: “You Can’t Prove God Exists”
Casey Luskin
February 22, 2021, 6:45 AM

Jay Richards recently did an ID the Future podcast answering the objection that ID is bad theology. This brought to mind another objection to ID that I feel like I’m hearing more and more these days. The objection goes something like this: “I don’t accept intelligent design because you can’t prove God exists.”

This objection has been around for a long time. Back in 2005 a theistic evolutionist blogger, “Darwin Catholic,” objected to intelligent design saying, “I don’t think you can prove God’s existence using science itself.” In 2011, anti-ID law professor Frank Ravitch objected to ID saying, “Science does not prove that God exists.” More recently, Oxford physicist Ard Louis, who is closely affiliated with the anti-ID BioLogos Foundation, said we “can’t prove God the way I can prove something scientifically.” I’ve heard this objection around the Internet lately as well.

So is it correct to say “You can’t prove that God exists scientifically?”

read more:

https://evolutionnews.org/2021/02/answering-another-objection-to-intelligent-design-you-cant-prove-god-exists/

One quote:

There is no ‘Made by Yahweh’ engraved on the side of the bacterial rotary motor — the flagellum. In order to find out what or who its designer is, one must go outside the narrow discipline of biology. Cross-disciplinary dialogue must begin with the fields of philosophy, sociology, history, anthropology, and theology. Design itself, however, is a direct scientific inference; it does not depend on a religious premise for its conclusions.

(THOMAS WOODWARD, DARWIN STRIKES BACK: DEFENDING THE SCIENCE OF INTELLIGENT DESIGN, P. 15 (BAKER BOOKS, 2006))
The last quote provides a good explanation for why the biological data do not allow you to conclude that “God” is the designer — a point that I elaborate here:

In other words, the flagellar machine itself indicates that it did not arise by a random and unguided process like Darwinian evolution, but rather arose by a non-random and intelligently directed process such as intelligent design. However, while biological structures may be scientifically explained via intelligent design, the structures themselves have no way of directly telling us whether the designer is Yahweh, Buddha, Yoda, or some other type of intelligent agency.

Now it’s possible that physics-based arguments for design could extend the argument further than you can make within biological design....

Old (Downunder) Tone

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 12:30 AM, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

“I don’t accept intelligent design because you can’t prove God exists.”

That is just being silly, an argument based on semantics in order to refuse to accept the obvious.

Science can prove without a doubt that things were created by an extremely advanced intelligence that existed before everything else. True, science itself cannot prove that Creator is Jehovah but that's basically the definition of "God".

Now once it has been established that things were created, science cannot help us much more. We need the Bible to learn more about the personality of that Creator.

Edited by carlos

I have zero science background but as far as I understand, there is no scientific way to actually prove (like, by experiments or even theories) God's existence.. right? There can be 'indirect' methods to prove him but as Jehovah is a spirit being, outside the realm of science, he can and will always be proved and believed in by faith alone? 

On 3/15/2021 at 7:30 PM, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

There is no ‘Made by Yahweh’ engraved on the side of the bacterial rotary motor — the flagellum. In order to find out what or who its designer is, one must go outside the narrow discipline of biology.

LOL loved this!!

1 hour ago, VisualizeUrParadise said:

I have zero science background but as far as I understand, there is no scientific way to actually prove (like, by experiments or even theories) God's existence.. right? There can be 'indirect' methods to prove him but as Jehovah is a spirit being, outside the realm of science, he can and will always be proved and believed in by faith alone? 

Think of it the other way around. There is no scientific way to prove that God does not exist. 

4 minutes ago, M.J. said:

LOL loved this!!

Think of it the other way around. There is no scientific way to prove that God does not exist. 

Yes! that too. In fact the statement God can't be proved scientifically simultaneously implies it's impossible to prove He does not exist. 

On 10/26/2020 at 10:47 AM, Friends just call me Ross said:

The first time I watched a YouTube video showing how there are 'machines' in our body's

cells, I was completely blown away.

You may be very interested in reading Chapter 4:

Could Life Originate by Chance? — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY (jw.org)

And if you can find a hard book, the diagram of the cell is amazing. 

In a nutshell: A cell cannot slowly evolve. All the pieces must work together at the same time.

2 minutes ago, VisualizeUrParadise said:

Yes! that too. In fact the statement God can't be proved scientifically simultaneously implies it's impossible to prove He does not exist. 

(Skip reading if your conscience doesn't allow you to watch "Christian" movies made in the world.)

There is a really great movie called God's Not Dead. A freshman college student is challenged by his philosophy professor to prove that God is not dead. The line of reasoning is surprising well done, and even includes the concept of free will and addresses the issue of evil in the world. Good assortment of characters that represent people of varying degrees of faith. (As a minor point, I found it interesting the script writers seemed to struggle with the concept of how to explain the Trinity.) The movie is very appealing as they stick to very general themes in order to appeal to a wide audience of different religious faiths. The main focus is simply the existence of God. I just re-watched it on Netflix. It ends on March 31st. 

• 2 weeks later...

The book referenced above by Stephen Meyer is really excellent.

Return Of The God Hypothesis

A lot of the information is already shown in the books about and written by Intelligent Design supporters, but the way that Dr Meyer evaluates the hypotheses as to the origin of information in living things, the fine-tuning of the four basic forces in nature, and also the fine-tuning necessary at the very beginning of the universe to produce a universe which will allow life has really impressed me.
He shows that a “God hypothesis” is actually the only hypothesis which explains the fine-tuning on every level.

It isn’t the easiest of reads, and I am having to take it in small chunks to really understand it all, but I heartily recommend it.

Edited by bohemian

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the Discovery Institute has put together a series on the recent 'Intelligent Design' push by some.
Trailer is here:

Their Press release here:
"We invite you to join the live premiere of “The Paradigm Project: Intelligent Design” on YouTube at 7:00 pm PDT on May 4, 2021.
This cinematic-quality documentary features Center Director Stephen Meyer and biologists Jonathan Wells and Douglas Axe. Created by filmmaker Tom Small from Colorado in consultation with various CSC Fellows, the documentary tells the story of the intelligent design movement and serves as the pilot episode of a new series that Small hopes to produce in the future.
Join host Kutter Callaway as he investigates recent developments about the origin and evolution of life and what these developments may mean for humanity’s age-old search for faith and purpose.
Watch the trailer below and join us for the premiere tomorrow!..."

Old (Downunder) Tone

• 3 weeks later...

On 3/31/2021 at 3:32 AM, M.J. said:

You may be very interested in reading Chapter 4:

Could Life Originate by Chance? — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY (jw.org)

And if you can find a hard book, the diagram of the cell is amazing. 

In a nutshell: A cell cannot slowly evolve. All the pieces must work together at the same time.

Basically, you need ADN to have a protein, but you need a protein to have ADN :wink:

On 3/15/2021 at 11:30 PM, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

There is no ‘Made by Yahweh’ engraved on the side of the bacterial rotary motor — the flagellum. In order to find out what or who its designer is, one must go outside the narrow discipline of biology.

This reminded me of a talk Br Let gave in Portugal several years ago where he used this reasoning of Jehovah not putting any label "Made by Jehovah" on any of his creations, to show that our GOD is also Humble, in fact the best example of humility

On 4/15/2021 at 12:20 AM, bohemian said:

The book referenced above by Stephen Meyer is really excellent.

Return Of The God Hypothesis

A lot of the information is already shown in the books about and written by Intelligent Design supporters, but the way that Dr Meyer evaluates the hypotheses as to the origin of information in living things, the fine-tuning of the four basic forces in nature, and also the fine-tuning necessary at the very beginning of the universe to produce a universe which will allow life has really impressed me.
He shows that a “God hypothesis” is actually the only hypothesis which explains the fine-tuning on every level.

It isn’t the easiest of reads, and I am having to take it in small chunks to really understand it all, but I heartily recommend it.

I'm starting to read now on my companion kindle :wink:

1 hour ago, jayrtom said:

This reminded me of a talk Br Let gave in Portugal several years ago where he used this reasoning of Jehovah not putting any label "Made by Jehovah" on any of his creations, to show that our GOD is also Humble, in fact the best example of humility

I remember hearing those words at a convention one year. It was a local brother, but it was a great point to make in the outline!!

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

2 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Nice 9 min clip on YouTube:

Watch "How to Build a Worm" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/QDQ0NJQ_z3U 

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

Very good logic about the first cell dividing, and subsequently, with an aim of specialization much further down the line! How can a blind process do that?!