JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Chess mystery in the world today

I love playing chess with my siblings. After we would finish playing, they'd joked about being a grand master in chess.One sunny afternoon, after playing chess, we got into an argument of who is the most powerful in chess, the king or the queen? While I made my stance that the king is cos he is the sole reason the game exists, he blatantly opposed and told me the queen is with her many powerful moves. We ended up not coming to a final agreement, but it suddenly reflected that neither is more powerful than the other, after all the king can't checkmate, a point he indicated to me. After our argument, it got me thinking of the KOS and KON. IMO I liken the queen in chess to KON with its mysterious moves and how it's changed in recent years and its attack towards pure worship. KOS is the king, he's the false prophet described in revelation that will fight Jesus and his armies in the battle of Armageddon. He's got the life in the game. Who do you think is the most powerful in the game of chess, the king or the queen? Well it all went well until someone showed up and said it's the pawn.:worship: So what do y'all think, the king or the queen? Chess lovers, lemme hear your opinions.

21 minutes ago, GodlyDevotion said:

Who do you think is the most powerful in the game of chess, the king or the queen?

Most powerful or most important?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I used to get confused as to why there were sometimes Kings and Queens, or sometimes just Queens with no Kings in the realms.

Chess helped me sort it out ... because as in real life - A King can take a Queen, but a Queen cannot take a King.

(Hope I have it right lol).

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

43 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

I used to get confused as to why there were sometimes Kings and Queens, or sometimes just Queens with no Kings in the realms.

Chess helped me sort it out ... because as in real life - A King can take a Queen, but a Queen cannot take a King.

(Hope I have it right lol).

A little twitch there I suppose. A queen or king of the opposing side can take out each other, but it does not happen to chess pieces of the same side. 

28 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

Well, we have Queensland as a state Down Under. 

Still looking for Kingland, and can’t find it LOL :lol1:

That's a point tho.

2 minutes ago, GodlyDevotion said:

A queen or king of the opposing side can take out each other, but it does not happen to chess pieces of the same side. 

Obviously, you never played with me? :lol2: LOL

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 hour ago, GodlyDevotion said:

Well, we could look at it from that angle also, most important.

I'm not a chess player but I thought the King was most important but the Queen was more powerful.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

10 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I'm not a chess player but I thought the King was most important but the Queen was more powerful.

Is that like, 'Dad's the Head of the house but Mom's the Boss'?   😃

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

As to your answer re: KON or KOS ... I think the KOS will prove to be the most powerful because they remain in power and will be the last power. If given time however, the conclusion would have ended up in favour of the KON ... but because his time will be cut short it won't come to fruition.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

8 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

You're right. Maybe our argument was interwoven with importance and power. Makes me think about the KOS and KON.     With KOS being important and KON being powerful. Makes sense, if KON was less powerful, KOS won't allow the trampling of God's people. He would (KOS) be the one to do it himself. 

3 minutes ago, Dove said:

Is that like, 'Dad's the Head of the house but Mom's the Boss'?   😃

Oh yeah! That's the gist

Hi Brother Kayode,

You started a fun topic. :)

I really enjoy chess also and I watch several major chess tournaments each year. As to your question about which is the most powerful piece in Chess, the King or the Queen, I believe a Grandmaster would tell you that the answer is:  Depends on the situation of the game

Examples:

• Opening Phase: 1 of the main objectives at the beginning is to protect the King, "Castle the King", so the King is the most "important" piece, but it can barely move. It is trapped behind a wall of pawns. But the Queen at this point is the most powerful piece on the board. So like Tortuga posted, there is a difference between the most important and most powerful piece.
  • Middle Game: Usually the King is still protected, hiding, it is the most important piece but useless. But as other pieces get captured, taken off of the board, the Queens become even more dominate, more powerful!
  • End Game: At this phase, most major pieces are gone, and now the King is on the move and becomes more powerful. If there is 1 minor piece remaining, like 1 Rook or 1 Bishop remaining, that piece is usually still more powerful than the King, because the King can only move 1 square at a time. But the King can work together with this piece and actually help checkmate. So if the King makes a move to support that 1 piece in trapping the other King, then the King "assisted" in the checkmate, making it a very powerful piece. And finally, if the game is at the very end where all of the major and minor pieces are gone with only a few pawns remaining, then each King is the most powerful piece on the board!

So Kayode, you were somewhat right in that the King, while almost always the most important piece, at the very end of the game when all other major and minor pieces have been captured, the King stands as the most powerful piece on the board. :star:

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

8 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

As to your answer re: KON or KOS ... I think the KOS will prove to be the most powerful because they remain in power and will be the last power. If given time however, the conclusion would have ended up in favour of the KON ... but because his time will be cut short it won't come to fruition.

I think the king still remains in authority, as he could have a wall(rook) defend him from harm and his subjects answer to him. The queen just happens to be the strongest. I think of the bishop as false religion

Edited by GodlyDevotion

spelling

That actually was said by one of my children when they were little. The reason behind it was because I taught them that Dad was the Head of the house and if they wanted anything they were to ask him first. But when they did he always told them, 'go ask your Mother'. So they came to that conclusion...Dad Head, Mom Boss..

...to my embarrassment one day he said this to someone that didn't know the whole story...☺️

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

7 minutes ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

So Kayode, you were somewhat right in that the King, while almost always the most important piece, at the very end of the game when all other major and minor pieces have been captured, the King stands as the most powerful piece on the board. :star:

Thanks for getting where I was coming from.

2 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

You mean, like this:

(The queen is protected by the bishop?)

kirill-putin.jpg

More like the bishop is protected by the Queen since they stick together in the chess board

So then which is the most the most powerful in the world, the KON or the KOS?

The answer is just like in chess: Depends on the situation 

Here are some examples:

*** dp chap. 13 pp. 222-223 par. 26 Two Kings in Conflict ***
Over this victory, the heart of the Egyptian king of the south ‘became exalted,’ especially against Jehovah. Judah remained under the control of Ptolemy IV.  However, he did not “use his strong position” to follow up his victory against the Syrian king of the north.

*** dp chap. 15 p. 262 par. 12 The Rival Kings Enter the 20th Century ***
“Despite the size and strength of the Allies,” says The World Book Encyclopedia, “Germany seemed close to winning the war.” In previous conflicts between the two kings, the Roman Empire, as king of the north, had consistently been victorious. But this time, ‘things were not the same as at the first.’ The king of the north lost the war. 

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

30 minutes ago, Dove said:

That actually was said by one of my children when they were little. The reason behind it was because I taught them that Dad was the Head of the house and if they wanted anything they were to ask him first. But when they did he always told them, 'go ask your Mother'. So they came to that conclusion...Dad Head, Mom Boss..

...to my embarrassment one day he said this to someone that didn't know the whole story...☺️

I want to qualify this by saying that he was not a brother at the time; he came into the Truth 10 years after me....

2 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Like Victoria, Queensland was named after the reigning monarch of the time .... and it  was probably fortunate it was her and not a George or and Edward. :lol1:

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Speaking of chess, I love this game. By the way, does anyone here play Chess Titans (originally packaged with Windows Vista)? I lost 220 games before I was finally able to beat this game.

5 hours ago, Eugene said:

Speaking of chess, I love this game. By the way, does anyone here play Chess Titans (originally packaged with Windows Vista)? I lost 220 games before I was finally able to beat this game.

Yes I do, but you can set a level that fits your rank as a chess player.

The king piece represents the player, and the player moves all of the pieces. From that perspective, the king is the most powerful ~ as well as the most important in the game...This is not to mention that without the queen the game goes on, but without the king the game ends. Solely looking at the specific moves of individual pieces though, the queen may be the most powerful in international chess, but of interest, the queen is one of the weakest pieces in Thai and Cambodian chess, while xiàngqí (Chinese chess), janggi (Korean chess) and shogi (Japanese chess) don't even have a queen piece at all.

9 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Not sure about "Kingland", but I looked it up and found that there are Kingslands: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsland