JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Books that you enjoy!

Which books do you love the most?

Do you have any found memories of the books from your childhood? teenage/young adult years? and now?

Personally I have enjoyed Doctor Dolittle, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer when growing up, many, many  Polish , Hungarian ( Ferenc Molnár) and Russian fiction. (I was reading 1-3 books a month when growing up, I belonged to 3 different public libraries. 

When it comes to current interests, I am trying to get through Isaac Asimov, Foundation.

I do have very wide interest when it comes to reading.

I read all genres of books, fiction and non-fiction too.

I often buy Epub version of the books instead of hard copy.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Here are my favourite books I read all the time. Still read them now. 

From an early age these were given to me by my grandmother. I still have them. I read Tom Sawyer too.

(Photos from the net)  The Heidi one I had was from Joanna Spyri herself. (rather than an adaptation).

Heidi.jpg

hbstories.jpg

unnamed.jpg

brerrabbit.jpg

Poetrybook.jpg

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

As I grew up these became my staples as well: These were all pre teen. As I went into my teens I loved the series by Paul Zindel - My Darling My Hamburger, Pardon me you're stepping on my eyeball, and The Undertakers gone bananas!

Now the novels I love are about the New System ... Thomas Walker and all the others. Love reading!

Studio_20180624_112845.jpg

Studio_20180624_112924.jpg

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I've read this book several times..last time 7 years ago.

The Paul Street Boys (Hungarian: A Pál utcai fiúk) is a youth novel by the Hungarian writer Ferenc Molnár, first published in 1906.

I would say it's in a spirit of Tom Sawyer.

In Budapest they even have those statues on the street.

Ernő Nemecsek is unforgettable character. (soft heart)

Paul Street Boys.jpg

PaulStreetBoysBookCover.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Honey days.....(when I was studying 5th-till my 10th standard) 

Enid blyton (all) 

Nancy Drew(all)

Famous five (all) 

Russian folk tales 

Asterix and obleix (all) 

Tintin(all)

Tinkle

World famous series 

Many fairy tales

Doctor Who.(all) 

Wine days....(1993 -12th to 2000)

James hardly chase(1 or 2)

Harrold robins (1 or 2 )

Erich seagal (all) 

Sherlock Holmes(all)

Readers digest 

Spiritual days(2000 onwards) 

Bible

Wt 2000 onwards....

Awake 2000 onwards...

And our other publications.

By the way thank you for starting this sweet thread .

Edited by dilip kumar

2 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Which books do you love the most?

Do you have any found memories of the books from your childhood? teenage/young adult years? and now?

Personally I have enjoyed Doctor Dolittle, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer when growing up, many, many  Polish , Hungarian ( Ferenc Molnár) and Russian fiction. (I was reading 1-3 books a month when growing up, I belonged to 3 different public libraries. 

When it comes to current interests, I am trying to get through Isaac Asimov, Foundation.

I do have very wide interest when it comes to reading.

I read all genres of books, fiction and non-fiction too.

I often buy Epub version of the books instead of hard copy.

Ha how interesting, I just checked out Foundation. When I have some time left over, I wanna try to read the series.

I have been a reader all my life .. I love books! When I was in kindergarten my favourite area was the library corner. My mother had a difficult time keeping my appetite for reading sated, so at the age of 5 she started me on the classics such as Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass, Peter Pan and Wendy, and Pinocchio - not picture books but the original unabridged versions. I absolutely loved them and since then I have gone through so many classics I can't even count them!

As a child I read all the Enid Blyton books - Secret Seven, Famous Five, Magic Faraway Tree, and then I went on to Nancy Drew, the Hardy boys, Trixie Belden. One of my favourites as a child, that I still enjoy reading now, was The Swiss Family Robinson.

Then as a teen my English teacher introduced me to Jane Austen .. and now Pride and Prejudice is my favourite. I have read it at least once a year since I was 15. I love her other books too - Northanger Abbey always makes me laugh. The Bronte sisters are a bit hit and miss with me - love Jane Eyre but I'm not keen on Wuthering Heights. Also I started reading Agatha Christie at a young age and I still enjoy the excellent plot twists in her books. 

Thank you for starting this thread!

How many of us from all corners of the earth were raised on Enid Blyton? I loved The Folk of the Faraway Tree best. Before my Enid Blyton days, there was a series of books for younger children known as Ladybird books which I loved. They were mostly folklore and fairy stories. Who could forget Chicken Licken and Henny Penny😂

my adolescence was spent lost in sci fi, particularly Douglas Adams, Robert Heinlen, then later Terry Pratchett.

My desert island books would be David Copperfield, Wuthering Heights, and Mist Over Pendle (Robert Neill), the two latter books probably because I am familiar (and very fond of), the locations and local history.l

These days I read all sorts of variety and genre. I loved the EK Jonathon books and I enjoy history in general. Aside from our own publications or bible based books, the best books that I have read recently are :-

Elizabeth is Missing (Emma Healey)

Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine (Gail Honeyman)

The Curious Incident Of the Dog in the Night Time (Mark Haddon)

My oh my, I just love books. To echo other comments, thank you for a lovely thread😁

Edited by SueFrog

Spelling mistake

Reading the comments reminded me of books I had forgotten that I read; Swiss Family Robinson and Tom Sawyer.

I loved reading as a lad. Old Yeller stands out.

I also have been an avid newspaper reader for as long as I remember.

Tried some spy thrillers like Jason Bourne, but they were redundant.

Read Thorn Birds, a weighty tome.

Above all, with no real challenger in non-fiction, are the volumes by James Herriot, i.e:  All Creatures Great and Small - All Things Bright and Beautiful - All Things Wise and Wonderful - The Lord God Made Them All.

Never have I had so much pleasure in reading than through these. 

I admire EK Jonathan 's work. I finished the first volume, but couldn't get through the second one. I have offered the three volumes to anyone on the forum. There are packaged and ready to send. PM me.

Slightly off topic but relevant to all bookworms. I wasnt sure whether to post in this thread or the "Will it be boring in the new system thread"....

the best job ever for a bookworm - archivist our librarian in the new system. Imagine being able to read and organise all the stuff from our system but all the new scrolls and new stuff too😁

38 minutes ago, SueFrog said:

Slightly off topic but relevant to all bookworms. I wasnt sure whether to post in this thread or the "Will it be boring in the new system thread"....

the best job ever for a bookworm - archivist OR librarian in the new system. Imagine being able to read and organise all the stuff from our system but all the new scrolls and new stuff too😁

Sorry, should read OR librarian! :bible2:

19 minutes ago, SueFrog said:

Sorry, should read OR librarian! :bible2:

I misunderstood the first reading, I now understand, you want to be the Oregon Librarian, A noble goal! :lol:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

14 hours ago, CCCG said:

I loved Anne of Green Gables and Little Women.  I’ve read them more than once.

When I have time to read now I like historical fiction. 

ah me too. gives you a homey feel

I wanna get back to reading Dickens. I used to get so cozy with my Dickens' books.

...........I'm such a nerd. 🤓

Edited by Katty

On 7/14/2018 at 6:20 AM, Dalbyj said:

Oh yes!! I am the original crazy cat lady!

I'm also crazy about cats! That's why I love reading anything about cats. 

As a child I enjoyed books by Astrid Lindgren. As a teenager I had a "Stephen King phase"... 

What I have always loved reading are poems. 

Today I often read books by Charlotte Link and - when I've had enough tension - books that make me laugh. 

Jane Austen's pride and prejudice is also one of my favourite books.

Edited by coonie77

Chrissy :wave: