JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Computer network problem. Help needed.

I hope there are some computer experts around here!

My Windows 10 pc is connected to my router and to a home network - a nas drive and a remote raspberry pi with a hard drive attached with my music collection on it.

In explorer, I could access the files on the nas drive, and on the pi's drive by clicking on the arrow next to the "Network" item on the tree on the left.

suddenly, and for no apparent reason, the pc can no longer connect to the network.  I can click network and it shows the devices connected to the router, but I cannot access them.

I have tried rebooting (many times) and sometimes it is back to normal, but only temporarily. It will stop connecting even when I am in the middle of a file transfer!

Please help. 

Check the "network sharing options" and make sure that a recent update hasn't changed these settings.:

Turn on network discovery and check the box that says "Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices"

Turn on "file and print sharing"

Edited by Musky

could be cerificates out of date.

look up how to redo the lease for the network connection and reset it.

also the certificate.

look up your commuters date.... if its older and it reset to some odd ball computer date your CMOS battery is failing.

look for an upgrade to your NIC card driver on your computers website.  Try to uninstall and reinstall the network drive.  If it keeps uninstalling the nic card is failing.

all i got for ya.

there is a trouble shooter that automaticllly looks for things to reset and fix automaticlly for you.

18 hours ago, Musky said:

Check the "network sharing options" and make sure that a recent update hasn't changed these settings.:

Turn on network discovery and check the box that says "Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices"

Turn on "file and print sharing"

Luke 18:20

11 hours ago, vern said:

could be cerificates out of date.

look up how to redo the lease for the network connection and reset it.

also the certificate.

look up your commuters date.... if its older and it reset to some odd ball computer date your CMOS battery is failing.

look for an upgrade to your NIC card driver on your computers website.  Try to uninstall and reinstall the network drive.  If it keeps uninstalling the nic card is failing.

all i got for ya.

there is a trouble shooter that automaticllly looks for things to reset and fix automaticlly for you.

Way above my head, I'm afraid, but thanks.

13 hours ago, rlyem said:

:)

I have internet connection, just no network connection!

My computer is windows 7. When I try to use Google Chrome I have the same problem but other browsers work. 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

3 hours ago, bohemian said:

I have internet connection, just no network connection!

Some confusion in the answers might be caused by the photo you posted.  The picture clearly states that the problem is;  "There is NO internet connection"  So some answers may be trying to address that issue.

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

Some confusion in the answers might be caused by the photo you posted.  The picture clearly states that the problem is;  "There is NO internet connection"  So some answers may be trying to address that issue.

Actually, John, if you look at the thread you'll see that I have not posted any pictures at all.

One of the "helpful" members jumped to the conclusion that you didn't have an internet connection where your post outlines a network issue, not an internet issue.

Does your reference to the scripture in Luke mean that you already tried what I suggested?

3 hours ago, Musky said:

One of the "helpful" members jumped to the conclusion that you didn't have an internet connection where your post outlines a network issue, not an internet issue.

Does your reference to the scripture in Luke mean that you already tried what I suggested?

Yes, musky, it was meant as a humorous response to your helpful suggestions, but yes, I have tried those things and wonder if there is anything else I could try.

sorry for any offence, such was never my intention.

Yes, musky, it was meant as a humorous response to your helpful suggestions, but yes, I have tried those things and wonder if there is anything else I could try.
sorry for any offence, such was never my intention.
No offense taken, I just wanted to clarify. I can't think of anything else to try except that maybe windows is having an ip address conflict. Try turning off everything connected to your router and rebooting it. Then connect all the devices to the router one at a time, leaving the computer for last.

Worth a try.

Have you tried these suggestions from Microsoft? https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/10741/windows-fix-network-connection-issues  Other suggestions mention the driver and network adaptor.

As Musky suggested (also from that site above, plus there's more scenarios to try). 

Restart your modem and wireless router. This helps create a new connection to your Internet service provider (ISP).

When you do this, everyone that is connected to your Wi-Fi network will be temporarily disconnected. The steps you take to restart your modem and router can vary, but here are the general steps:

1. Unplug the power cable for the router from the power source.
  2. Unplug the power cable for the modem from the power source.

Some modems have a backup battery. So if you unplug the modem and lights stay on, remove the battery from the modem.
  3. Wait at least 30 seconds or so.

If you had to remove the battery from the modem, put it back in.
  4. Plug the modem back into the power source. The lights on the modem will blink. Wait for them to stop blinking.
  5. Plug your router back into the power source.

Wait a few minutes for the modem and router to fully power on. You can usually tell when they’re ready by looking at the status lights on the two devices.
  6. On your PC, try to connect again.

Just wondering if you have done a Win 10 update recently.  If so, apparently there are some network issues connected with the last update (April 2018).  If so I would recommend uninstalling the update and doing a system restore prior to the update. 

Doing a system restore won't uninstall the update because it isn't that straightforward.

Sometimes, doing a system restore prior to the problem starting can help resolve problems if you haven't done the update.

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Have you tried these suggestions from Microsoft? https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/10741/windows-fix-network-connection-issues  Other suggestions mention the driver and network adaptor.

As Musky suggested (also from that site above, plus there's more scenarios to try). 

Restart your modem and wireless router. This helps create a new connection to your Internet service provider (ISP).

When you do this, everyone that is connected to your Wi-Fi network will be temporarily disconnected. The steps you take to restart your modem and router can vary, but here are the general steps:

1. Unplug the power cable for the router from the power source.
  2. Unplug the power cable for the modem from the power source.

Some modems have a backup battery. So if you unplug the modem and lights stay on, remove the battery from the modem.

3. Wait at least 30 seconds or so.

If you had to remove the battery from the modem, put it back in.

4. Plug the modem back into the power source. The lights on the modem will blink. Wait for them to stop blinking.
  5. Plug your router back into the power source.

Wait a few minutes for the modem and router to fully power on. You can usually tell when they’re ready by looking at the status lights on the two devices.

6. On your PC, try to connect again.
He doesn't have a problem connecting to the internet. He has an issue with one device on his HOME NETWORK being able to share files with another device. There is no need to mess with the modem, unless it's a combination modem and router. The router and/or a device is having issues.

10 hours ago, bohemian said:

Actually, John, if you look at the thread you'll see that I have not posted any pictures at all.

Thank you for the correction.  The comment you made "included" the picture from another person's comment.  I misunderstood it to be yours.  Apologies.

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

Thank you for the correction.  The comment you made "included" the picture from another person's comment.  I misunderstood it to be yours.  Apologies.

No problem, John. There has been quite some misunderstanding of the problem in several responses, but I am glad really because it shows brothers want to help.

1 hour ago, GeordieGirl said:

@bohemian did you find a solution yet?

Actually, no, despite all the good offices of you dear brothers and sisters.

HOWEVER, I just turned my computer on and it is working OK again!  Go figure!  I don't know how long this will last, but I am transferring files as I wished to do while it works.

49 minutes ago, bohemian said:

Actually, no, despite all the good offices of you dear brothers and sisters.

HOWEVER, I just turned my computer on and it is working OK again!  Go figure!  I don't know how long this will last, but I am transferring files as I wished to do while it works.

Technology huh! 

31 minutes ago, bohemian said:

I got 92% of a file transferred before it suddenly couldn't find the network!  Oh boy!

Did you see my comment above, #14? Don't know if it's relevant but thought it might be worth considering. 

22 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Did you see my comment above, #14? Don't know if it's relevant but thought it might be worth considering. 

I'm not sure about the update because they are all automatic on my pc.

btw, rebooted and it is on again!  Completed the file!

16 minutes ago, bohemian said:

I'm not sure about the update because they are all automatic on my pc.

btw, rebooted and it is on again!  Completed the file!

Well that's good news.

The reason I thought about the update was because a few months ago there was an update on my Win7 laptop and lo!  once the update had completed it wouldn't conect to the net.  I knew it wasn't the internet conection per se because my Win 10 lappie, phone and tablet were all connected just fine.  After numerous switching off and switching on again, I decided to uninstall the update.  That was fun. Not!  But eventually achieved it and everything worked fine again.

When I saw your post I had a look around and there is a glitch in the April 18 Win10 update that can cause  network issues and on the off chance that you don't want this issue everytime you want to transfer some files, this might be helpful for you to have a look at:  https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-resolve-network-problems-caused-by-the-windows-10-april-2018-update/

PS I've turned my automatic updates off now because it was banging away about me updating again so I thought it was fixed.  But no. And I had to go through the same charade a second time.

Edited by GeordieGirl

I might have remembered what could cause this issue. In last year's Fall Creator Update for Windows 10, Microsoft disabled the old vulnerable SMBv1 protocol which is used in many types of file transfer services. Maybe it didn't get activated for you until now, or your registry could be messed up if you haven't done a clean install in a while? WannaCry is a major ransomware that exploited a bug in the protocol to gain access to and take over your machine and files and demand a ransom in exchange to get them back. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WannaCry_ransomware_attack (PS: Silly NSA, we see what you did there.)

This update affected me because I would wirelessly transfer some files back and forth from my PC to an older device that still used this protocol. I accessed them in the same way that you would, I assume that your Pi and NAS could be using the same protocol. You should be able to reenable it by searching for "Windows Features"/"Turn Windows features on or off", finding "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support", and checking the boxes there. A warning though that it is still vulnerable and unsafe code... Windows doesn't like it and may keep disabling it anyway... or maybe you could turn it on, use it briefly, and then turn it off and restart your PC again. I ended up switching back to manual transfers, more rarely. 😕 Apparently for my device I would also need to go into Network & Internet Settings, Change Adapter Options, go to the Properties of my ethernet or wireless connection of the PC to the Router, go to the Properties of Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), click Advanced, go to the WINS tab, and finally Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Edited by Myew