JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Bearing Thorough Witness" Book - JWpub?

20 hours ago, jwhess said:

This link does not contain any of the chapter pictures nor any of the pictures in the picture index. It does load in JW Library however.

15 minutes ago, pholmes38 said:

Im really grateful. Thanks (though a shame its without artwork)

Where did it come from?

My opinion is that, probably, the person that converted this book to JWPUB used the wtlibrary DVD (which has no images) and not an epub. He may now how to add images or not. What do you think @Jonathan77 😉

On 9/22/2018 at 5:27 PM, pholmes38 said:

I dont suppose anyone has the technical skills to know how to convert an epub (or even pdf) into a jwpub file of this book?

On 10/2/2018 at 5:38 AM, TonyWenz said:

I expect this would be a closely guarded secured and secret process. If anyone could add a file to the library app, that could go horribly wrong, especially if they had evil intent. emoji49.png

Older {waiting for wiser} emoji1353.png

Obviously someone was smart enough to do it

Obviously someone was smart enough to do it
Yep. Sad. So if whoever converted it changes any text, it could totally warp or be used to plant apostate information. At least without the pics it cam be deduced as non-original.
But that won't stop some wanting to make trouble.

Older {waiting for wiser}

I was hoping that there would be a key or code from the jw.lib app to accept new publications to stop random people adding files to the app.
In my limited understanding, this is how 'viruses' work. You take a program, and alter or insert a malicious subroutine, then reinsert or overwrite it back into the host.
Imagine somone changing stories or pictures into My Book Of Bible Stories.
Maybe my mind is over-reacting to what I expect apostates could do. Let's hope they have better things to do...

Older {waiting for wiser}

1 hour ago, TonyWenz said:

I was hoping that there would be a key or code from the jw.lib app to accept new publications to stop random people adding files to the app.
In my limited understanding, this is how 'viruses' work. You take a program, and alter or insert a malicious subroutine, then reinsert or overwrite it back into the host.
Maybe my mind is over-reacting to what I expect apostates could do. Let's hope they have better things to do...

I fail to understand the direction this conversation is going. What is the issue? the book is available on WT.org/Publications/books/Bearing witness.

What do apostates have to do with it?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 hours ago, Old said:

I fail to understand the direction this conversation is going. What is the issue? the book is available on WT.org/Publications/books/Bearing witness.

What do apostates have to do with it?

Br. Jerry, I think they are just discussing the ability of individuals to convert PDF or Epub files (on JW.ORG) into JWPUB files which we use on the library app.  It seems that it might have been done.  So the worries begin about someone less enthusiastic and more devious slipping something into our app.

Not a problem right now.

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

Br. Jerry, I think they are just discussing the ability of individuals to convert PDF or Epub files (on JW.ORG) into JWPUB files which we use on the library app.  It seems that it might have been done.  So the worries begin about someone less enthusiastic and more devious slipping something into our app.

Not a problem right now.

I didn't realize that was the topic. I thought the topic was the availability ot the book as provided by the Slave. Sorry.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Why do brothers make assumptions on something they don't know.   

It is from official source.  No conversations.  Got it some 3 or 4 years ago.  Also have yearbooks and a few other publications, like Good Land brochure.  Oh well, try to do something nice, and this is what you get.

It is from official source.  No conversations.  Got it some 3 or 4 years ago.  Also have yearbooks and a few other publications, like Good Land brochure.  Oh well, try to do something nice, and this is what you get.

It is not available to download from JW.org, so you need to expect the brothers to be weary of any other “official sources”.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

9 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

I understand what you say but we shouldn't become paranoid :) 

It doesn't mean that any file that doesn't come through the JW.org site is automatically suspicious. You could receive a pioneers book trough the CO that didn't come from the site. would that be suspicious?

What would be dangerous is to search for such files from the internet as you don't know the source. I knew brother Jonathan had such files because he mentioned it sometime ago in other threads. They weren't on the internet

47 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

Thank you Jonathan! I would like to have the other books you have. If you can please PM me :wink:

29 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

You could receive a pioneers book trough the CO that didn't come from the site. would that be suspicious?

IF it came from anyone else online, yes. If it came directly from the CO then, no. Never tell the brothers not to be suspicious of where the spiritual food comes from. Sources are important!

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Sure! I was not doing that. I was the first to say that exact thing

Every file with a publication that doesn’t come from JW.org is automatically suspicious, and we do well to be a bit paranoid. When you get one from the CO, it is given directly to you from him not to be spread. At times you might also get them straight from branch or HQ. But when someone gives them to you in a forum such as this one, yes, you are right to be suspicious. Hence, when we are in the ministry, we give links to the site so that people can download them.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Every file with a publication that doesn’t come from JW.org is automatically suspicious, and we do well to be a bit paranoid. When you get one from the CO, it is given directly to you from him not to be spread. At times you might also get them straight from branch or HQ. But when someone gives them to you in a forum such as this one, yes, you are right to be suspicious. Hence, when we are in the ministry, we give links to the site so that people can download them.

Ok, that's your prerogative, I've said it already, you do well to look into your sources. As for me I trust Jonathan because I'm around here for more than 5 years and he is also. He has a good record, nothing to be suspicious about.

3 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

Good morning.  Please share with me thru a PM the other books you have.  I appreciate it.  Thanks again.  

6 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

Im grateful for it.

Thank you

Ok, that's your prerogative, I've said it already, you do well to look into your sources. As for me I trust Jonathan because I'm around here for more than 5 years and he is also. He has a good record, nothing to be suspicious about.

You should always be careful about these things, no matter how long you’ve known the person. It is much better to wait for an official release. And, yes, it is my prerogative. It is a fine principle to follow.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

7 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

We appreciate that you shared and we trust your judgment. Thx.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

OK, time to move the conversation along, Johan, we've had this discussion numerous times in the past. Joab, let's let it go.

Carry on with the topic.

I didn’t mean to snap. It just felt like your post was singling me out, when I’m just highlighting the need to be extremely careful. It irked me a bit.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I didn’t mean to snap. It just felt like your post was singling me out, when I’m just highlighting the need to be extremely careful. It irked me a bit.

And you always remind us of this every time a request for a publication comes up,. We appreciate it, but one "warning" per topic is enough. default_smile.png